Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AcuraLink Inquiry: Can they spy on us?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
AcuraLink Inquiry: Can they spy on us?

Hi, this is a stupid question, but I do need an answer.

If I register with AcuraLink, will they be able to see how I drive my car? speed? mileage?

Thank you.

PS WPD 08 TLS
Old 12-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In theory and assuming the NAV system transmits your position back to a centralized server, then the answer is yes. Shippers who use semi trucks to move freight have been using this sort of system for years by the way.

Further, if you own a cell phone, your provider knows where you are as your [and the phone] travel around in their network. If we're talking about a GPS enabled technology like the nav system in a LT then they also get speed. It's unclear to me what other information may be accessible; in theory, anything that the car's onboard computer keeps track of is fair game.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Race Director

I see, so I'm not registering.

Thanks. This is a bit discomforting if they know exactly how fast you drive, where you drive, your mileage and if you have modded anything.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hold on... I didn't say that do, I just said they can with this technology in theory. I really don't know anything about the system. I have a friend who is pretty paranoid and actually disconnected the onstar features in his vehicles (can't remember if he just pulled the fuse or literally modded the cars so they don't get power).

It's unclear to me how an auto maker could profit from these sort of data (i.e. where you drive, how fast, when, mileage, etc.)

Maybe some others will reply with their perspectives.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Race Director

Hmm, I would be interested in blocking AcuraLink. Is it doable?

Oh boy, they can profit. They will know the wear and tear of the vehicle when you return it, if you are leasing it.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't think singing up with acuralink or not will address the issue of potential monitoring. Since they already have all of the details of your car upon purchase, they have everything they need already. They don't have to wait for you to register on the website. If they were so inclined all they would have to do is activate tracking upon sale of any new car.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Race Director

Another encouraging post, lol.

Damn, I wish I knew for sure.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:19 PM
2005 Acura TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I worked for acura for a couple months. They don't track you. It would cost to much money to pay people to sit there on they're computers and monitor you 24/7. Im registered on acura link and its pretty cool. You can see your cars features, options and specs. Service records and your owners manual. I love it.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Race Director

I do my own maintenance at my boys shops, I don't need them monitoring "service records".

I hope more people will chime in on this issue, so I can sleep better at night. lol
Old 12-16-2007, 03:24 PM
now with four rings

yeah, i don't get how registering on Acuralink would give them the ability to track your speed, where you've been, etc...

your car would have to transmit that data to them on a regular basis and what about those who don't have NAV (like myself)? i'm sure the technology is already there in my little roof box (the thing that looks like a shark fin on bimmers, audis, etc. -- thank God ours doesn't look like that), but if i don't have it hooked up to anything that requests data and such, then they shouldn't be able to track a thing...

now some cars come with a little device (chip or whatnot) that records your speed, where you've been, etc., but it doesn't transmit the data...these devices come in handy for the police and stuff during an investigation, though i don't think our cars have these...
Old 12-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

that's your satelite radio antenna!....yes our cars do come with a snitch box!
Old 12-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Intermediate

take some nyquil for that sleeping issue!
Old 12-16-2007, 07:25 PM
now with four rings

Originally Posted by 007TL-S
that's your satelite radio antenna!....yes our cars do come with a snitch box!
damn, i forgot about the XM radio antenna being in there...probably because i don't subscribe to it...

so there you have it: there's no way for them to track anything about us in real-time (that we know of), but we have a snitch box, per 007TL-S... goodnight...
Old 12-16-2007, 09:49 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
didn't they start that "black box" thing in the rsx when they first came out. I remember hearing something like this. Alot of people were crapping out the tranny cause they couldn't handle 6spd's. And some were over revving the hell out of them and blowing motors. The dealers read the box and it stated what happened in terms of rpms, speed, shift points in the rpm band. I also thought insurance companies were using this info when accidents happened and were able to retreive needed info.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:21 AM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
looks like the acuralink thing is more for a customer service than anything else. even if they did track u, they would probably just want to use it for survey purposes for marketing stats than targeting individuals.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:32 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
well i believe the ECU automagically logs when you redline your vehicle
Old 12-17-2007, 09:21 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
My other car is a Chevy RepMobile with On-Star. Every now and then I will get an e-mail from the 3rd party fleet managment company that says something like:

"Your car is at xx,xxx miles and is over due for maint. You last maint was permformed xx,xxx miles ago. Please schedule a maint appt ....."

I figure they can know exactly where that car is or has been any time they want.

In my case, they own the car, so I guess they have the right to know where it is. Similar to putting a GPS-based reporting device on your kids car.

But if a 3rd party tracked you, I think that'd be a potential legal problem. Especially if you didn't agree to it ahead of time.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Race Director

That's what I'm saying, I'm not agreeing to be 'spied on'.

I really don't want to get such letters, as your mileage is this, show up for an appointment.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Race Director

So how can we know for sure this is the case like OnStar?
Old 12-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Race Director

Ok, new info, but I don't know how accurate this is. Info came from a trusted mechanic shop.

Our Gps/AcuraLink is a one way communication signal, which is able only to receive, but not to send.

In order to actually send data, AcuraLink uses our bluetooth enabled phones for phoning or retrieving messages from AcuraLink servers. We DO have a 'black box' (snitch box), but it only records abnormalities and/or last events of malfunctions, such as you if get into an accident, something is bound to throw of the ECU, it will record all variables instantly.

OnStar, however, is a two way communication, a full duplex. So they can eagerly spy on you, open your doors, start your car..etc...etc..

If anyone finds more info, please post. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:25 AM
6th Gear

Dude relax they can get all the info they want off the computer when you bring the car into the shop, or when you turn it in if they want it.
If your that parinoid pull out your computer. Your car wont run, but they will have nothing on you.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Race Director

I'm not paranoid. Close this thread, people seem not to care about their privacy.

I was only curious for warranty purposes, if they know you've modded the car which caused the malfunction, it's your pocket that will get lighter.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:35 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Most mods are visible and won't require secret spying

Oh and re: the "black box" thing.. Various items are recorded during an accident, speed, seat positions, whether or not the brakes were applied, whether or not the seatbelts were fastened, etc.

All used to help determine the cause of the accident and to see what did or did not play a factor in it..

watch your back.. Germans on Dinosaurs around the corner!
(Drawn Together watchers will get that..)
Old 12-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
I'm not paranoid. Close this thread, people seem not to care about their privacy.

I was only curious for warranty purposes, if they know you've modded the car which caused the malfunction, it's your pocket that will get lighter.
Serious, what are you trying to hide? Anyways...

So do you return your ride to stock when you take it in for service? Like no one has never taken their mod'd ride into a dealer before.

Becareful about using your Bluetooth, i heard all conversations on Bluetooth are recorded and set to the government....sshhh!
Old 12-17-2007, 12:42 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

I was trying to add this:

Most mods are visible and won't require secret spying.. you mention privacy, but to me it seems shady to do a mod that sounds like it potentially breaks the car, and voids the warranty, and you want to know if they can find out what you did to cause it.. if they can, more power to them. If YOU mod the car and it fails because of it, the dealer is absolutely NOT responsible, so finding a way to keep them from finding out what you did is bs.

but I hit the 5 minute limit
Old 12-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Race Director

I had a different concern, those who smart will understand what I'm really trying to hide, especially those who lease. And the rest may continue the self-amusement
Old 12-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Instructor

Old 12-17-2007, 01:02 PM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a different concern, those who smart will understand what I'm really trying to hide, especially those who lease. And the rest may continue the self-amusement
LOL, I totally understand your point, but I wouldn't be posting this in an Acura forum, if you know what I mean.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Race Director

Korruputed

I just wanted to know how the AcuraLink worked, I'm a technology geek so I was just curious.
They did say Acura has one of the best technological advances in automotive industry, but how advance was the question. So now I know, and it's all good.

Now my only concern is the back-up camera which is pretty dim on my car, I wonder if it can be brighter? On my inifiniti this thing was very bright, even at night time. Suggestions?
Old 12-17-2007, 01:25 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Try different backup lamps.. maybe a super bright LED cluster or something
Old 12-17-2007, 01:49 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

"those who smart"

HEHEHEHEHEHEHE. :p
Old 12-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
First of all, the black box records in a continuous loop, saving only something like a 5 second frame, and constantly over-writing it... If the airbags deploy, the black-box stops recording... This 5 second window, then becomes a sort of freeze-frame.

Second of all, your car has no way to upload any data to acura... The Navi only has a satellite receiver, not a transmitter, so it can only calculate it's current position, not send it out.... The SAT signal used by the radio... Is provided by XM which is a third party company unrelated to Acura. In order to receive data via SAT, they would need to setup your car with a third party SAT data ISP. Not only is that expensive, it will need a much better antenna. Contrary to popular beliefe, GM's On-Star does not use the SAT to transmit data, it uses a cellular network for that.

Third of all... The accuracy of triangulating your cell phone's position is dependend on the coverage in your area, as well as who is your provider. For example, last year when C-Net's James Kim disappeared, he was in a remote section of regon. According to C-NET, they were only able to track his cell phone becuase his cell provider was Edge Wireless compatible, because the cell towers where he got lost was an Edge wireless tower. However, becuase it was remote, it was the only tower within 26 miles of his location. They were able to triangulate his position, but not to within 50 meters like many sites claim is the accuracy of this type of tracking.

However, in order for this to be useful, the person trying to track your location is going to need to know your cell phone number. If Acura doesn't know your cell phone number, thye wouldn't be able to track you, even if they wanted to.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darksky
In theory and assuming the NAV system transmits your position back to a centralized server, then the answer is yes. Shippers who use semi trucks to move freight have been using this sort of system for years by the way.

Further, if you own a cell phone, your provider knows where you are as your [and the phone] travel around in their network. If we're talking about a GPS enabled technology like the nav system in a LT then they also get speed. It's unclear to me what other information may be accessible; in theory, anything that the car's onboard computer keeps track of is fair game.
The government can at any time listen to your conversations as well - even if your phone is off - the only way to prevent it is to take the battery out. They do this with suspected terrorists and drug dealers. I read an article about it on CNN...

kinda like in the Bourne Ultimatum where that dude says "Blackbriar" and they find him - believe it or not that stuff is *somewhat* real.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont think they will tell about roadying lol... just clean the leather - if thats what it is that your concerned about.

shouldnt be doing that anyway!!! (if thats what it is - if not, disregard this post and always remember me as a moron )
Old 12-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by fant0m_TL
i dont think they will tell about roadying lol... just clean the leather - if thats what it is that your concerned about.

shouldnt be doing that anyway!!! (if thats what it is - if not, disregard this post and always remember me as a moron )
Your are not a moron, but this is not what I was getting at. I just know that Acura is anal with their leases, even though they do give $1500 wear/tear. I just don't want to hear extra bs like you abused the car with the driving, etc..etc. Just heard stupid rumors, and yes, now I will ignore them, because as more people post, the stupider I sound, lol.

Thank you guys for your posts!
Old 12-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Im closing this at the request of the OP