Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura will get PWNed by Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rimz
you need to state all the facts before you start spitting out whose better than who...

the 3.8-liter V6 puts out 290 HP and 264 ft/lb Torque...the 3.3-liter puts out 268 HP and 233 ft/lb Torque...so of course the 290 HP version is better than our 258 HP TL... 3.8-liter > 3.2-liter...
Since when did I say it's 3.8 liter V6?.. I said "V6", meaning the one available in V6 has 290 HP & 264 ft/lb torque.

now, the new Type S is a 3.5-liter putting out 286 HP...if they up the engine to 3.8 or more, it'll beat your beloved Genesis...
oh dear...
Old 03-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Banned

you need to state all the facts before you start spitting out whose better than who...

the 3.8-liter V6 puts out 290 HP and 264 ft/lb Torque...the 3.3-liter puts out 268 HP and 233 ft/lb Torque...so of course the 290 HP version is better than our 258 HP TL... 3.8-liter > 3.2-liter...

now, the new Type S is a 3.5-liter putting out 286 HP...if they up the engine to 3.8 or more, it'll beat your beloved Genesis...
Even with the little 3.3 liter version (264 HP & 233 ft/lb torque) on the Genesis it could still take out the AUTO version of Acura TL due to it's close gear ratio Aisin 6 Speed Automatic transmission. The price tag on this low-end model are said to have less than 30k, and with plenty luxury and comfort.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:17 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts

Big deal, no offense but that's ricer math. In the end the final power figure is more impressive.... you can always say you car makes this much power out of only this many liters, and you can hypothetically have an impressive car that makes 500 hp out of 1 liter, but if its only .1 liter then it only makes 50 horsepower... weak.

When people pull out that hp/liter argument, in the end it proves nothing.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Burning Brakes

This car = people who can't afford mercedes/bmw/lexus/acura and still want luxury + power. no matter how luxury or fast it is, its still a POS.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:18 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 842 Likes on 524 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
The S-AWC system has been on JDM Evolutions for several generations now... way before 2007. It may not have been called S-AWC but its still based on the torque-vectoring principle. And some prefer to dial in their own settings instead of being nannied by the computer.

The CTR is truly impressive, the one true new Honda/Acura product - a small FWD sedan thats a track beast. However, its pretty moot considering that its ONLY available in Japan, not even Europe. The TL-S is just another FWD sports sedan, more of an evolution from the standard TL than anything with the RL engine and sport suspension and chassis tuning.

While Nissan does have the financial backing of Renault it still doesn't matter. They simply are coming out with new great products. They just came out with the GTR which used the new PM platform, and along with that introduced the new VR37TT. That's 3 innovations in just 1 product.

A rebadged Holden, yes, but at least it has new sheetmetal and different fascias and interiors instead of just a different grill and name. In the end, again, it still brings the L76 over to the US, which correct me if I'm wrong isn't in any new US GM cars except the G8.

The CTS-V engine is a marvel itself, a modern day small block Chevy engine with the four-lobe Eaton SC, the first of its kind. Not to mention the Malibu which is quiet as hell inside, has a surprisingly nice interior, and is pretty fast too in LTZ trim.

Acura meanwhile is trying to make due with previous iterations of J-series engines, or barely updating them and it shows. Power output is among the lowest in the class, compared to the VQ which has undergone constant, big changes and Toyota's GR engine is better than both the VQ and the J-series.
Yea, that system before was called Super AYC and ACD. S-AWC is the new one in the Evo X. And the S-AWC system IMO is similar to the SH-AWD, in that it incorporates Super AYC, ACD, ABS, and ASC into one system, which makes the overall system even more responsive than the previous Super AYC and ACD.

The CTR is also on sale in Malaysia (don't ask me why..) but I wish it would go on sale in more countries..like US and Canada....but that's Honda..typical Honda way of doing things that me or you would never understand (they are saying it's because the engine requires high octane gas which is not available here...but..whatever)..Not gonna argue about the TL-S..hahaha..as it has been discussed for so many times...

I think the GTR has a 3.8L engine in it. But no doubt, that's an amazing car, 0-60 in 3.3s for $70000 is simply unbeatable!

Other than that, I agree with others you just said
Old 03-06-2008, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Manual Transmission
Even with the little 3.3 liter version (264 HP & 233 ft/lb torque) on the Genesis it could still take out the AUTO version of Acura TL due to it's close gear ratio Aisin 6 Speed Automatic transmission. The price tag on this low-end model are said to have less than 30k, and with plenty luxury and comfort.
The difference here though is that not a single reputable enthusiast group has yet to review the Genesis compared to the RL, TL, TL-S or whatever. It looks great on paper, but thats pretty much how all Hyundais have been since it came into existence. The XG350 on the other hand was just ugly
Old 03-06-2008, 11:22 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I got very similar mileage in my 2G TL-S with my Z28. With a heavy right foot, I got around 22mpg in my TL-S, around 30-40k miles. In my Z28, with a REALLY heavy right foot, I get 19mpg.

The L76 can only improve, power output is about the same as an LS1, with more torque, and it has cylinder deactivation so it runs like a 4-cylinder on the highway. And that's another innovation for GM which Honda has yet to implement.
Honda has the VCM and VCMII and are implemented on Odyssey, Accord (and I think Pilot and Ridgeline too? Not too sure on those). The VCMII actually can vary between 3,4, or 6 cyl operation.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo335
This car = people who can't afford mercedes/bmw/lexus/acura and still want luxury + power. no matter how luxury or fast it is, its still a POS.
Actually, more critically, the POS goes to BMW's and Mercedes many would say. The BMW's and MB's have problems with the reliability. It is so bad it's get to the point it's not even funny. So how can you say the Hyundai Genesis is POS that you don't even know about and ignoring the fact that the BMW's have reliability problems. And just imagine your repair bills...
Old 03-06-2008, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by iforyou
Yea, that system before was called Super AYC and ACD. S-AWC is the new one in the Evo X. And the S-AWC system IMO is similar to the SH-AWD, in that it incorporates Super AYC, ACD, ABS, and ASC into one system, which makes the overall system even more responsive than the previous Super AYC and ACD.
While SH-AWD is impressive, we'll just have to see if Acura actually puts it to good use, i.e. in a performance car. So far its been in the RDX, MDX and RL. People say good things about the RDX but the RL has too mushy of a ride and the RL isn't exactly a sports sedan either, nor is it marketed to be one. Meanwhile the new Evo X outruns the STi around a track despite a pretty big weight disadvantage and being down on power.

Who said you could afford your 335i? I'll just leave it at that.......
Old 03-06-2008, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by iforyou
Honda has the VCM and VCMII and are implemented on Odyssey, Accord (and I think Pilot and Ridgeline too? Not too sure on those). The VCMII actually can vary between 3,4, or 6 cyl operation.
Whoops. Thats what happens when you're cynical, you tend to forget. My mistake.

Actually, more critically, the POS goes to BMW's and Mercedes many would say. The BMW's and MB's have problems with the reliability. It is so bad it's get to the point it's not even funny. So how can you say the Hyundai Genesis is POS that you don't even know about and ignoring the fact that the BMW's have reliability problems.
Thats the problem with the Genesis, no one has driven it yet. It looks very promising and is much different from past Hyundais but the fact remains that in the real world in simply doesn't exist, yet.

Oh, and new BMWs have free maintenance for 3 years.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:29 PM
Burning Brakes

haha, you mad that you got a american car and loose against a BMW in every category. its ok man. I understand your feelings. hAhahahahah
Old 03-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The S-AWC system has been on JDM Evolutions for several generations now... way before 2007. It may not have been called S-AWC but its still based on the torque-vectoring principle. And some prefer to dial in their own settings instead of being nannied by the computer.

The CTR is truly impressive, the one true new Honda/Acura product - a small FWD sedan thats a track beast. However, its pretty moot considering that its ONLY available in Japan, not even Europe. The TL-S is just another FWD sports sedan, more of an evolution from the standard TL than anything with the RL engine and sport suspension and chassis tuning.

While Nissan does have the financial backing of Renault it still doesn't matter. They simply are coming out with new great products. They just came out with the GTR which used the new PM platform, and along with that introduced the new VR37TT. That's 3 innovations in just 1 product.

A rebadged Holden, yes, but at least it has new sheetmetal and different fascias and interiors instead of just a different grill and name. In the end, again, it still brings the L76 over to the US, which correct me if I'm wrong isn't in any new US GM cars except the G8.

The CTS-V engine is a marvel itself, a modern day small block Chevy engine with the four-lobe Eaton SC, the first of its kind. Not to mention the Malibu which is quiet as hell inside, has a surprisingly nice interior, and is pretty fast too in LTZ trim.

Acura meanwhile is trying to make due with previous iterations of J-series engines, or barely updating them and it shows. Power output is among the lowest in the class, compared to the VQ which has undergone constant, big changes and Toyota's GR engine is better than both the VQ and the J-series.
Nissan updated the VQ35 and put out the VQ37VHR but used them in heavier cars than before. When I drove the G37 coupe, it barely felt faster than the previous one. It also gets some of the worst gas mileage in its class, especially when the VQ35 was first released. Not to mention all the problems they had when it first came out.

The 2GR-FSE in the IS350 is great, except they mated it to an auto tranny which is only geared for 0-60 and 1/4 mile. I heard those things are easy to take out after 100mph. Proof that more gears does not equal better performance, especially if they aren't geared right.

The J-series is a great motor and probably has the best balance between performance, gas mileage, and reliability. The TL-S may have the lowest crank rating, but the 6MT puts 257HP to the wheels. I'm averaging 22mpg doing ENTIRELY city driving, and I can pull 30+ on the highway...my friends 04' G can barely manage to get 16 or 17. My brother gets like 16mpg in his Z

IMHO, bias aside, I think Honda isn't as focused as Nissan/Toyota in impressing magazines or reviewers. Thats pretty much what it all comes down to because honestly, 90% of TL/IS/G drivers don't know jack **** about what they're driving. Work at a high-end dealership for two years and you'll know exactly where i'm coming from. Hell, I remember one day, this guy in his 20's asked me to help him fill up the tires on his G35 sedan

Like somebody in this thread said earlier, I don't think Honda saw the HP war coming so soon. When they first released the TL,RL, and TSX, they did extremely well against their current competition. Its pretty obvious the next TL is going to have SH-AWD and i'm guessing they kept the TSX 4Cyl/FWD to keep the gas mileage above 20 in the city and not discourage potential buyers. However, I really don't know what they were thinking when they approved the design for the new RL.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:35 PM

haha, you mad that you got a american car and loose against a BMW in every category. its ok man. I understand your feelings. hAhahahahah
Name these "every categories". You mean Car of the Year award, which the CTS won, whoops, I mean lost?

My parents offered me five grand for a down payment, and I turned it down, because its my car, not theirs. I'll let them drive it when I want, and I'll do whatever to it I want, and it really is mine.

Your parents bought you your 335i and it really shows. There are plenty of people who are lucky enough to have caring parents and are thankful for what they get (me included) but you simply aren't one of them. I feel way better that I worked hard for my car, and I'm glad you understand my feelings.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Banned

Thats the problem with the Genesis, no one has driven it yet. It looks very promising and is much different from past Hyundais but the fact remains that in the real world in simply doesn't exist, yet.
????? doesn't exist, yet? The Genesis is already out, as shown in pictures.

It's out there already. LOOK at the pictures, not the catalog ones, the ones on the street. Buddy, you need to read the thread thoroughly before you speak.

Oh, and new BMWs have free maintenance for 3 years.
That's what I mean. After the maintenance is over you've better find a way to get rid of it. Once that thing breaks it will cost an arm and leg.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Banned

I Go To Costco states the Genesis does not exist. What kind of absurd statement is this? LOL. Does not exist? No one driven it? Huh?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by JJaber06
Nissan updated the VQ35 and put out the VQ37VHR but used them in heavier cars than before. When I drove the G37 coupe, it barely felt faster than the previous one. It also gets some of the worst gas mileage in its class, especially when the VQ35 was first released. Not to mention all the problems they had when it first came out.

The 2GR-FSE in the IS350 is great, except they mated it to an auto tranny which is only geared for 0-60 and 1/4 mile. I heard those things are easy to take out after 100mph. Proof that more gears does not equal better performance, especially if they aren't geared right.

The J-series is a great motor and probably has the best balance between performance, gas mileage, and reliability. The TL-S may have the lowest crank rating, but the 6MT puts 257HP to the wheels. I'm averaging 22mpg doing ENTIRELY city driving, and I can pull 30+ on the highway...my friends 04' G can barely manage to get 16 or 17. My brother gets like 16mpg in his Z

IMHO, bias aside, I think Honda isn't as focused as Nissan/Toyota in impressing magazines or reviewers. Thats pretty much what it all comes down to because honestly, 90% of TL/IS/G drivers don't know jack **** about what they're driving. Work at a high-end dealership for two years and you'll know exactly where i'm coming from. Hell, I remember one day, this guy in his 20's asked me to help him fill up the tires on his G35 sedan

Like somebody in this thread said earlier, I don't think Honda saw the HP war coming so soon. When they first released the TL,RL, and TSX, they did extremely well against their current competition. Its pretty obvious the next TL is going to have SH-AWD and i'm guessing they kept the TSX 4Cyl/FWD to keep the gas mileage above 20 in the city and not discourage potential buyers. However, I really don't know what they were thinking when they approved the design for the new RL.
I just have to say I'm impressed and I'm glad you kept it mature in your post. It makes the rest of us 19 year olds look better, I hope.

That is one problem with VQs though, terrible mileage from what I've heard. And Nissan does keep bloating up their cars. And its a shame that Lexus puts so many electro-nannies in their cars, though that may change with the IS-F. In the end for what it is Honda products can compete despite being down on paper. We can only imagine what they can do if they had a power and weight advantage.

Indeed, they were ahead of the game in the early 2000s, and they are looking towards a conservative approach, but when all the Acura owners complained they went and designed the 09 RL. I can only guess that they were trying to be different, though in reality we all think they're smoking something.

I Go To Costco states the Genesis does not exist. What kind of absurd statement is this? LOL. Does not exist? No one driven it? Huh?
Doesn't exist in North America yet, that's where most of us are from at least. No American magazine or website has reviewed it yet at all, and the NA version can be different from the Korean model. Pure Adrenaline drove it, but it was his opinion alone and he didn't exactly compare it subjectively to the RL, 5-series, E-Class, etc.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Name these "every categories". You mean Car of the Year award, which the CTS won, whoops, I mean lost?

My parents offered me five grand for a down payment, and I turned it down, because its my car, not theirs. I'll let them drive it when I want, and I'll do whatever to it I want, and it really is mine.

Your parents bought you your 335i and it really shows. There are plenty of people who are lucky enough to have caring parents and are thankful for what they get (me included) but you simply aren't one of them. I feel way better that I worked hard for my car, and I'm glad you understand my feelings.
It will beat your camaro or mustang or whatever car you have in every category i meant.

Just because your mommy and daddy offered you to pay for your car dont assume my parents did also. If you cant afford a 335 good for you. Doesnt mean the whole world cant. Anyway, I love how people like to bring 335 into the topic and talk shit about it.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Banned

Doesn't exist in North America yet, that's where most of us are from at least. No American magazine or website has reviewed it yet at all, and the NA version can be different from the Korean model. Pure Adrenaline drove it, but it was his opinion alone and he didn't exactly compare it subjectively to the RL, 5-series, E-Class, etc.
You talk like you know it all.

Doesn't exist in North America?

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336973

What is going on with you?

PWNed...
Old 03-06-2008, 11:54 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

While SH-AWD is impressive, we'll just have to see if Acura actually puts it to good use, i.e. in a performance car. So far its been in the RDX, MDX and RL. People say good things about the RDX but the RL has too mushy of a ride and the RL isn't exactly a sports sedan either, nor is it marketed to be one. Meanwhile the new Evo X outruns the STi around a track despite a pretty big weight disadvantage and being down on power.

Who said you could afford your 335i? I'll just leave it at that.......
Yea, I would love to have a Evo X myself, it's fast, practical, good looking and can be driven in any weather conditions.

I agree that Honda should put the SH-AWD in more cars and actually promote it.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:54 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by JJaber06

ahh..couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 03-06-2008, 11:56 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Its gonna be funny when people "KDM" their Hyundai out....lol

Maybe it'll all change one day, but Hyundai seems to copy other companies designs and mark them as their own. Even the name...the whole company is based off ripping other companies ideas off

Atleast when Honda/Toyota/Nissan started off, they all went their own ways and each formed their own niche in the market.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:16 AM

You talk like you know it all.

Doesn't exist in North America?

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336973

What is going on with you?

PWNed...
Is it on sale here in the US?

As of yet I've never seen one and while that doesn't mean it doesn't exist that very well could be a test mule or a marketing vehicle to garner interest. If you can go to a Hyundai dealer

It will beat your camaro or mustang or whatever car you have in every category i meant.

Just because your mommy and daddy offered you to pay for your car dont assume my parents did also. If you cant afford a 335 good for you. Doesnt mean the whole world cant. Anyway, I love how people like to bring 335 into the topic and talk shit about it.
And it very well should beat it in every category, it costs twice as much and the Camaro pretty much is an old-school POS, solid rear axle, 40-year old platform with OHV technology thats been around since the 60's. That's like bragging about how a Veyron beat a Ford GT in every category.

Right.... so they didn't ask, you did? You really aren't making a case for yourself at all, just proving to be more and more elitist with every post. You have a 335i, good for you.... no one cares because there are oil tycoon kids who are driving around in Carrera GTs at age 17.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Burning Brakes

And yet, I never brought up anything about the 335. I am here talking about the POS hyundai and you so happen to talk about the 335i. Dont give me that shit how the camaro is a old school POS. Its like how people say " lets see you take out those turbo and see what you can do"
Old 03-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Is it on sale here in the US?

As of yet I've never seen one and while that doesn't mean it doesn't exist that very well could be a test mule or a marketing vehicle to garner interest. If you can go to a Hyundai dealer

And it very well should beat it in every category, it costs twice as much and the Camaro pretty much is an old-school POS, solid rear axle, 40-year old platform with OHV technology thats been around since the 60's. That's like bragging about how a Veyron beat a Ford GT in every category.

Right.... so they didn't ask, you did? You really aren't making a case for yourself at all, just proving to be more and more elitist with every post. You have a 335i, good for you.... no one cares because there are oil tycoon kids who are driving around in Carrera GTs at age 17.
Lol, i've never heard of it being on sale in the US either....Maybe somebody thought it was the new Lexus and tore the spy-camo off only to reveal the Hyundai emblem.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:22 AM
Suzuka Master

And yet, I never brought up anything about the 335. I am here talking about the POS hyundai and you so happen to talk about the 335i. Dont give me that shit how the camaro is a old school POS. Its like how people say " lets see you take out those turbo and see what you can do"
I always thought the 335 was your parents? I'm not trying to be a dick, but aren't you selling the TL and looking for a new car?
Old 03-07-2008, 12:30 AM

You were the one who brought up my car, about how I'm somehow jealous in the middle of a discussion about the Hyundai Genesis vs. other comparable cars.

You were the first to bring up someone's car in specific. And I never compared the Camaro to the 335i, you did. Don't play the he-said she-said card when you're obviously going to lose....

Plus the only thing you have to say about every Hyundai is its a POS. We all know you've never driven one, and before you even say anything, we all know you could care less. Come back when you have something useful to add
Old 03-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Please redirect this to the pre-existing Genesis discussion in the Automotive News forums: LINK

In the event one of you actually runs (or runs in) a Genesis, please post in this subforum accordingly. Thank you.