Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura vs. Lexus Quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 02:54 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you VTECH!

I Think its a great leap for Acura. The new TL and the upcoming RL is already shaking up the auto industry. And I think this kind of posts reflect only one thing for sure.

While everyone here is enjoying our TL....yes we complain....but thats because we are human, and we will never stop complaining. Back to the sentence.......so here we are enjoying our refined TL, and for past week all we got is bunch of people from different forums telling US what our car is and isn't. That is how people are. And I say that we shouldn't follow their tactics, rather just be happy with our TL. Does it make you feel good if other car dealers are making slow progree? i.e. GM , no, then there isn't a healthy competition in the industry. I hope every car makers step up every year and make a decent car for everyone to enjoy.

-my god i feel like an angel today

GO TL!!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2004, 03:48 PM
Comptech Freak

no questions

nobody says acura is better than lexus in quality, and nobody is going to argue~

even a toyota camry is quieter than the TL, it speaks out already.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:50 PM
Racer

Originally posted by samkws
no questions

nobody says acura is better than lexus in quality, and nobody is going to argue~

even a toyota camry is quieter than the TL, it speaks out already.

UHHH.....I THINK THATS JUST YOUR TL.....
Old 02-26-2004, 03:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up

I got some headache to scroll over those sections 1SICKLEX had posted. I'm still dizzy now...

I don't want to talk about made in Japan or make in Ohio issue, but I do feel the quality in my 04TL is not as good as my other cars, 99 GS300 and 94 Legend.

It's just my feeling, IMO. But, it's quite good enough for the car in this price with these features.

No complaint.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually I'm going to let you in on a little secret. The reason acura scores better than lexus is the RL. The old lady is the most reliable car on the planet by a good margin. That helps the rest of the acura line pull ahead. That might change with the new RL and then we'll just be as good as them<Darn!
Old 02-26-2004, 09:19 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

Let me just qualify, I own an '04 TL. I do, however, think that Lexus/Toyota has edged out Acura/Honda on quality. I would not have agreed with that statement 10 years ago but Toyota has surpassed Honda in quality feel at least, if not in actual solidity. I say this based on owning a 1997 Toyota 4Runner, 2002 Toyota Sequoia, 2002 Toyota Camry SE, and a 2001 Echo (I'm not proud of this one but it made good sense for a second point a to point b ride to compliment my $660 Lease on my Sequoia Limited.)

With that said, when I bought my Camry SE V6, I thought it was cool, but I wasn't excited about it. I can remember no initial quality defects, and even if there were, it was just a car. Now, when I bought my TL, I was excited. I was, and still am, extremely proud of it. So if something isn't absolutely perfect, I am extremely sensitive to it. I have to admit, its a bunch of minor annoyances that bug me about this car, but I think they will all be corrected soon.

Finally, I know this will piss alot of people off that surf this sight, but I just think Nissan is the bastard child of the big three Japanese auto manufacturers. Their quality has just never been on par with Honda or Toyota, although I do have to admit my wife likes the new Infiniti SUV based on the Nissan Armada.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by iNteGraz92
anyone who references jd power is an idiot
Boy how many more idiots we got on here? JD powers is the most recognized rewards and info site you can get with cars. If you ignore it, your STUPID.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:11 PM
Banned

Cough, tranny? cough, cough...NOT!

Acuras reliability over the past few years HAS GONE DOWN. Everyone knows this.

We had a Lexus RX300. We loved it. NEVER a problem, it was SOLID. The only complaint is its turning sharpness sucked. You had to back up multiple times just to turn around in a place the TL CAN EASILY. Lexus cars are boring, but they do have the power plants and the IS300 would out handle a TL any day of the week. Slap a Turbo on it, and its all over.

Originally posted by DARK6mt
1SICKLEX = Thank you for your input. Everyone here knows that toyota/lexus is a good company. Their quality is known to be reliable, but so is Acura.

I think Acura makes one helluva engine and tranny for the price. Acura's reliablity shouldn't ever come to question.

You could have stopped posting after the lexus and jd powers award timeline, but you had to go and paste what they said about acura. You know Acura has good quality and performance, and those article about SUV's and future outlook of the company was not the topic of the tread. None of us here hold any share of the company. As long as the car we purchased is perfect as they come, we have no problems with future of Acura.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:13 PM
Banned

I think since 1995 the Quality of Nissan went drastically down hill. But it has recovered in the recent years. Infiniti is still above Honda on ratings as well as the rating of the top 3 largest japan automakers. Honda got bumped down last year.

Originally posted by Swat Dude
Let me just qualify, I own an '04 TL. I do, however, think that Lexus/Toyota has edged out Acura/Honda on quality. I would not have agreed with that statement 10 years ago but Toyota has surpassed Honda in quality feel at least, if not in actual solidity. I say this based on owning a 1997 Toyota 4Runner, 2002 Toyota Sequoia, 2002 Toyota Camry SE, and a 2001 Echo (I'm not proud of this one but it made good sense for a second point a to point b ride to compliment my $660 Lease on my Sequoia Limited.)

With that said, when I bought my Camry SE V6, I thought it was cool, but I wasn't excited about it. I can remember no initial quality defects, and even if there were, it was just a car. Now, when I bought my TL, I was excited. I was, and still am, extremely proud of it. So if something isn't absolutely perfect, I am extremely sensitive to it. I have to admit, its a bunch of minor annoyances that bug me about this car, but I think they will all be corrected soon.

Finally, I know this will piss alot of people off that surf this sight, but I just think Nissan is the bastard child of the big three Japanese auto manufacturers. Their quality has just never been on par with Honda or Toyota, although I do have to admit my wife likes the new Infiniti SUV based on the Nissan Armada.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:54 AM
Troublemaker

Ive never been in a RL, so i cant say what thats like, But hop into an LS430 on a weekend, and youll know what lexus is all about.

My 04TL is pretty quick, and both our Lexuses have been great too. Theyre all pretty nice cars. The Acura doesnt feel as luxurious as the Lexus tho. People tend to think the 04TL is more luxurious, but it just has more gadgets.

More revering of the LS430....

Sonar Cruise Control
Keyless entry and start (wallet chip)
Mark Levinson sounds just as good if not better (and its only using 2 channels)
Seats that Heat and Cool you
Meticulously combed over with a fine comb for quality control.

All cars should be built as nice as an LS430.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:15 AM
8th Gear

I've had my NSX for 13 years now, I got it new in 91 and I have no rattles or any fit and finish issues. No mechanical problems, change fluids and add gas.

My dad has a 01 LX470... again great no rattles but for some reason his power mirror switch took a dive on him. When you start it you cant hear the motor unless your really on the gas. In a way its almost isolates you to much from the road, but then again its not a performance vehicle. Great truck I love driving it when I go back and visit them. I dont think the NSX and LX are fair to compare since both have different purposes. For sure the LX is more luxurous than my X, but overall they have a similar feel about them. Solid, well built, reliable, and very satisfying to drive.

I find both Lexus and Acura to have outstanding quality.... I know Lexus keeps winning awards for quality so that has to say something about the way they are built. After driving my dads LX, I'd love to own a LS or GS for a dialy driver.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:50 AM
Banned

Originally posted by TL_6SPD
Boy how many more idiots we got on here? JD powers is the most recognized rewards and info site you can get with cars. If you ignore it, your STUPID.
REad my previous post! JD POWER is the most recognized because its a PROMOTIONAL enterprise THATS WHY ITS IN EVERY COMMERCIAL YOU READ. It doesn't mean anything! Consumer reports on the other hand is in no commercials since they dont allow it as part of their charter (NON COMMERCIALIZATION POLICY). Learn and read before you open your mouth and demonstrate your ignorance! Who's stupid now!
Old 02-27-2004, 08:34 AM
Instructor

Take a look at this if you think Toyota has no rattling problems. http://
Old 02-27-2004, 10:47 AM
Banned

Originally posted by vtechbrain
REad my previous post! JD POWER is the most recognized because its a PROMOTIONAL enterprise THATS WHY ITS IN EVERY COMMERCIAL YOU READ. It doesn't mean anything! Consumer reports on the other hand is in no commercials since they dont allow it as part of their charter (NON COMMERCIALIZATION POLICY). Learn and read before you open your mouth and demonstrate your ignorance! Who's stupid now!
And if your one that believes consumer reports, then your out there. lol

Sorry but JD powers is well recognized. Maybe not for you. So unless you have stuff to back your claims, then what you say is bs.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:57 AM
Advanced

Smile

You guys will hate me for saying this, but I would like to be VERY VERY HONEST. I love Acura/Honda no matter what.

Having been around many Lexus cars these days, I truly think Lexus makes great high quality cars. Guys, trust me. I am not being biased at all. I've had only Honda/Acura cars in my life. So did my parents. Honda/Acura makes great cars that are very sporty... BUT, quite honestly as far as "quality" is concerned, they do come a little below Lexus. I mean, most of us have experienced minor problems with our cars. Take a ride on a Lexus and carefully examine... You will understand why everyone compares Lexus with MB and BMW. Only Lexus. Others including Acura & Infiniti are getting there, but not quite yet.

BUT, Lexus is more expensive.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:01 PM
Banned

And if your one that believes consumer reports, then your out there. lol

Sorry but JD powers is well recognized. Maybe not for you. So unless you have stuff to back your claims, then what you say is bs.
:yack:
Old 02-27-2004, 01:57 PM
Racer

Cough, tranny? cough, cough...NOT!

Acuras reliability over the past few years HAS GONE DOWN. Everyone knows this.

We had a Lexus RX300. We loved it. NEVER a problem, it was SOLID. The only complaint is its turning sharpness sucked. You had to back up multiple times just to turn around in a place the TL CAN EASILY. Lexus cars are boring, but they do have the power plants and the IS300 would out handle a TL any day of the week. Slap a Turbo on it, and its all over.
Hey Biatch! hiding in different name and shiet! I never thought you were the pusssy that you are now.:o

NE how, TL forum never said lexus was bad in quality or anything to say ACURA is better than Lexus. Did you read my post dumbass? read it again since you are reaching that age granny!

WE DON"T CARE......simple as that.......but one thing is for certain,

G35 Sedan is ugly TO ME
Old 02-27-2004, 01:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Acura isn't even close to the quality standards as Lexus. Sorry guys, but Lexus is probably one of the best made cars out there..
Ed
P.S. No I'm not biased, I own both cars, although I am more of a Honda/Acura guy than Lexus.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by jchoi19
You guys will hate me for saying this, but I would like to be VERY VERY HONEST. I love Acura/Honda no matter what.

Having been around many Lexus cars these days, I truly think Lexus makes great high quality cars. Guys, trust me. I am not being biased at all. I've had only Honda/Acura cars in my life. So did my parents. Honda/Acura makes great cars that are very sporty... BUT, quite honestly as far as "quality" is concerned, they do come a little below Lexus. I mean, most of us have experienced minor problems with our cars. Take a ride on a Lexus and carefully examine... You will understand why everyone compares Lexus with MB and BMW. Only Lexus. Others including Acura & Infiniti are getting there, but not quite yet.

BUT, Lexus is more expensive.
There in lies the problem, that for similar vehicles, except lower end, Hondas/Acuras are fairly subsantially cheaper than Toyota/Lexus.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:50 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Mar 1998 -- The LX 470 and RX 300 go on sale at Lexus 174 dealers nationwide.

Mar 1998 -- Lexus announces its participation as presenting sponsor of Eric Claptons 1998 U.S. Tour. The sponsorship offered Lexus unique opportunities for innovative and effective marketing, as well as the opportunity to contemporise the Lexus brand and generate excitement both at the national and local dealer levels.

April 1998 -- Bryan Bergsteinsson is named Lexus Division group vice president and general manager.

April 1998 -- Lexus was named the number-one nameplate in long-term dependability after five years of ownership by J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Index (VDI). Lexus has earned this honour every year it has been eligible.

April 1998 -- Lexus sets a new division record in the month of April with sales of 12,364. Some of this increase can be attributed to new hot-selling RX 300 mid-sized SUV.

May 1998 -- For the second consecutive month, Lexus sets a division record with May sales of 14,620, an improvement of 100 percent over the same period last year.

June 1998 -- The LS 400 and ES 300 swept the Luxury Car segments for Premium Luxury car and Entry Luxury Car in J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study (IQS). In addition, the LS 400 earned the best score of any vehicle in the study, an honour it has achieved five out of six years.

July 1998 -- Lexus ranked number-one in the J.D. Power and Associates Customer Satisfaction Index Study (CSI) for the seventh time in eight years of eligibility.

July 1998 -- Lexus again reported its best-ever month with July sales of 14,673, a 57.9 percent increase over July 1997. Year-to-date sales totalled 83,041, up 55 percent over the period last year. Lexus was the best-selling luxury brand in the United States for the first time in its nine-year history, outselling Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Cadillac and Lincoln.

Aug 1998 -- Lexus sets another all-time monthly sales record of 16,949, an improvement of 52,2 percent over the same period last year. 1998 calendar year-to-date sales of 100,000 surpassed total 1997 sales of 97,593. This represents a 54.6 percent increase from last year.

Sept 1998 -- The RX 300 is named Most Appealing Luxury Sport Utility Vehicle, and the LS 400 earns the title of Most Appealing Premium Luxury Car in the J.D. Power and Associates APEAL Study.

Oct 1998 -- The RX 300 is named the inaugural Sport/Utility of the Year by Motor Trend magazine. This marked the first time the magazine separated its Truck of the Year award into two categories, truck and sport utility vehicle (SUV). This change reflects the continued popularity of SUVs.

Dec 1998 -- The GS 400/300 and ES 300 are named "Best Buys" by Consumer Digest, and the GS 400 wins the American Automobile Association (AAA) "Top Car" award as the best all-around car in the $40,000 to $50,000 category.

Dec 1998 -- Lexus posts best-ever annual sales of 156,260 units, representing a 60 percent increase over 1997 and a 90 percent increase over 1996.

Jan 1999 -- The GS 400/300 is honoured as one of Car & Drivers 10 Best.

Jan 1999 -- The Lexus IS compact sport sedan is shown at the Detroit Auto Show, and it is announced that it will debut in the United States in mid-2000.

Jan 1999 -- Automobile Magazine names the LX 470 the "All Star" in the large sport utility vehicle category.

Mar 1999 -- Lexus ranked first in J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study (VDI) for the fifth consecutive year.

Mar 1999 -- For the first time ever, Lexus finished the first quarter of 1999 as the top-selling luxury nameplate outpacing Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Lincoln and Cadillac.

May 1999 -- The LS 400 and LX 470 received top honours in their respective segments in the J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study 2 (IQS2). Additionally, the LS 400 had the fewest problems of any vehicle for the sixth time in seven years.

May 1999 -- Lexus set an all-time new record with May sales of 18,110 units.

June 1999 -- Lexus finished the first half of 1999 as the No. 1 selling nameplate in the luxury arena.

July 1999 -- Lexus ranked No. 1 in the J.D. Power and Associates Customer Satisfaction Study (CSI). This marks the eighth time in nine years that Lexus has received the top ranking.

Sept 1999 -- Lexus celebrated the 10th Anniversary of its first vehicle going on sale in the United States.

Sept 1999 -- The LX 470 was ranked the most appealing luxury SUV in the J.D. Power and Associates APEAL Study. Additionally, the RX 300 finished second to the LX 470 in the same category.

Sept 1999 -- Lexus remained the No. 1 selling luxury nameplate through the first three-quarters of 1999.

Oct 1999 -- Lexus unveiled the Lexus Sport Coupe concept vehicle at the Tokyo International Motor Show.

Nov 1999 -- In early November, Lexus surpassed its 1998 sales record of 156,260 units.

Nov 1999 -- Lexus sold its millionth vehicle in the United States.

Dec 1999 -- For the fourth consecutive year, Lexus posted best-ever annual sales. 1999 sales 185,890 units represented a 19 percent increase from 1998 and a 90 percent increase from 1997.

Jan 2000 -- Lexus debuted the 2001 IS 300 compact sport sedan at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

Jan 2000 -- Lexus unveiled the 2001 LS 430 flagship sedan at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

Jan 2000 -- Lexus 1999 sales set a new all-time record with 185,890 luxury cars and sport utility vehicles sold.

They've been the top selling luxury brand 4 years in a row now.
Holy crap, get a life . You have way too much time on your hands.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by vtechbrain
Hah I thought you guys might be right so I went straight to consumer report and looked it up (lexus drivers don't read consumer reports because the publication uses polysyllabic words)!!! Of the 3 year old cars the number one brand is....... ACURA with 21 problems per 100 cars! Toyota and Lexus share 2nd with both 25! Honda is 3rd with32. The avg is 55, BMW is 54; Mercedes gets a crappy 73 and Cadillac brings up the rear 82. As usual KNOWLEDGE IS POWER all else is BS! Acura is number one and if you need more info here's the link, although you have to be a member!

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/...=1077760480844

More sour grapes dear lexus friends!!!!!
It's too bad they don't differentiate between infiniti and nissan, like they do with honda and acura. All the JD power and etc. reports put infiniti MUCH higher than nissan, so it would interesting to see how infiniti stacks up to the rest as well.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:06 PM
Banned

The same with Lexus. As we can see from CR, Lexus and toyota rank the same. Which by the way is excellent,j ust not as excellent as ACURA!!!! LOL
Old 02-27-2004, 08:16 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

I think since 1995 the Quality of Nissan went drastically down hill. But it has recovered in the recent years. Infiniti is still above Honda on ratings as well as the rating of the top 3 largest japan automakers. Honda got bumped down last year.
Tell that to my brother with the Altima or my customer with the Maxima. They both agree that their cars started dying with 80,000 miles on them. Although the same brother has a 200,000+ Civic still going strong.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:31 PM
My baby's daddy

Its like you are debating whether Petra Nemcova or sofia Vergara is hotter! They are both hot and both makes represent the utemost quality.

However, they are different. Nothing feels like a Honda except, of course, an Acura.

I love my TL. It feels exactly like my 99 Accord Coupe except nicer.

Lexus is the most reliable car ever. That does not detract from the reliability of our TL's. Those of you who own both 04 models, let us know which one dies first.
I won't hold my breath

later
Old 02-27-2004, 11:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Swat Dude
Tell that to my brother with the Altima or my customer with the Maxima. They both agree that their cars started dying with 80,000 miles on them. Although the same brother has a 200,000+ Civic still going strong.
LOL then they are rare ones, because I have a friend of the family with a 1995 I30 that has over 300k of miles, mobil 1 every 3k, and it doesn't even burn oil. Regular maintenance and still going strong. She is a realtor, so you know how much they drive. She use to drive caddys and always were breaking down on her. I told her to look into infiniti, lexus, and she got the infiniti i30. She loves it.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:57 PM
2nd Gear

Before I bought my AT 2005 TL, I had a RWD 1994 GS 300. The GS was built solid. Even after 10 years and over 100,000 miles, I NEVER had any problems.

And Lexus Service is just top notch. They really make you feel like it is luxury dealership with luxury cars. Acura just can't touch Lexus service.

If I got a new car, it would be the new body style GS 430...NICE.

I keep praying that my Acura won't surface with any tranny problems!
Old 04-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,661 Likes on 927 Posts
WOW!! Looks like this thread was ressurrected from the dead BIGTIME!! (ref: post# 65 - 2/28/04 --- post# 66 4/2/05)
Old 04-03-2005, 03:55 PM
To punish and enslave

yeah true,

a relative of mine has been working for honda/acura for more than 20 years and since the beginning of acura and lexus, lexus has always been better in sales and quality,

but that doesn't do anything to my love for honda/acura
Old 04-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Racer

As the owner of both, and a big Honda fan, I will say that Lexus quality is higher. Anyone that thinks otherwise is dreaming. Overall, I find Honda quality to be exceptional as well. Just not quite up to Lexus (or Toyota) levels.

Those that say that the IS is not the same high quality as other Lexus products are also dreaming. My wife's 02 IS hasn't had a problem yet (including no rattles). And you'll find the IS well ranked in most consumer magazines and surveys. The cool thing about Lexus is that *all* their products are high quality, not just the really expensive ones. Sure, you'll find problems in a sample of their cars, but overall (even with the IS), that sample is very small.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:13 PM
Troublemaker

it doesnt really matter who says which one has better quality. They are both generally good cars. Of course each has exceptions. Honda/Acura makes a shitty car once in a while, Lexus does too. Ive heard of less lexus complaints than acura complaints tho. Both my parents drive lexuses and they are very happy They probably paid 10k-20k more but as long as theyre happy with it, thats all that matters. I have the 3g tl and for the most part im happy. The only problem i have with the TL is that when i accelerate moderately (4k-5k rpms) i get a sulfur smell from the cat. Besides that, im very happy with the car. I would say that lexus is more luxurious. Their materials are better quality.

Whatver makes u happy. if you are happy with your Acura, then stay happy with your acura. If you are happy with your lexus, stay happy with your lexus.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:52 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

i sat in a few Lexus and the fit and finish and overall quality seemed much better than Acura... now i dont know how the car holds up after a few thousand miles.. but brand new Lexus is superior IMO...
Old 04-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
believe me lexus holds up better!!
Old 04-03-2005, 08:02 PM
people die violently.

lexus is for old people! no offense to anybody! i will buy lexus when im 60!
Old 04-03-2005, 08:29 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,055 Likes on 2,519 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbowhat2
Whatver makes u happy. if you are happy with your Acura, then stay happy with your acura. If you are happy with your lexus, stay happy with your lexus.
More good wisdom, yes both make good cars which everone you prefer.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:32 PM
10th Gear

Needed to sell my '93 Lexus GS w/200k miles on it, and was looking at a '05 ES, but for kicks, decided to look at a '05 TL and ended up driving home the TL.
I loved my GS, still rode smooth and quiet at 200k miles, but it was time.
Can only hope the TL lasts that long. I just didn't feel "inspired" by the ES. And the GS was a bit pricey. And I really liked the TL's look. So TL it was.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Intermediate

I don't fault ACURA for not building a large 8 cylinder flagship luxury sedan. That market is crowded, which is probably one reason Infiniti's Q45 has never sold very well. I do, however, think ACURA has made a mistake having the integra/RSX in the lineup. A premium nameplate should have a premium image. RSX doesn't fit the premium image. They should put a Honda badge on it and sell it at Honda dealerships. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vtechbrain
Hah I thought you guys might be right so I went straight to consumer report and looked it up (lexus drivers don't read consumer reports because the publication uses polysyllabic words)!!! Of the 3 year old cars the number one brand is....... ACURA with 21 problems per 100 cars! Toyota and Lexus share 2nd with both 25! Honda is 3rd with32. The avg is 55, BMW is 54; Mercedes gets a crappy 73 and Cadillac brings up the rear 82. As usual KNOWLEDGE IS POWER all else is BS! Acura is number one and if you need more info here's the link, although you have to be a member!

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/...=1077760480844

More sour grapes dear lexus friends!!!!!
I guess I need to read closer. Am I so unlucky? Let's see: mine is 2000 3.2TL, 4 trannies, one air blower, 2 sets of brakes, sun roof rattle, driver seat squeak, center consol rattle, butt heater is barely working, engine mount broken. All in 78K miles. Oh yea, Acura is number one in quality. Poor other brands!
Old 04-03-2005, 11:26 PM
Troublemaker

Originally Posted by vtechbrain
The same with Lexus. As we can see from CR, Lexus and toyota rank the same. Which by the way is excellent,j ust not as excellent as ACURA!!!! LOL

I know about 50 people who drive a lexus and not one person is unhappy with their car.

BTW do you realize that consumer reports nor any magazine is going to have 100% data. Do you think consumer reports went around and found every single car ever made and found out if it had any problems? And what constitutes a problem? I cant think of any lexus recalls but the TL already has 2 major recalls. hmmm... dont always go by what a magazine knows, go by what you know.

You will convince very few people that Acuras are better quality vehicles than lexus. Of course you have a huge bias since you own one. But ask any objective person and 9 out of 10 will probably say lexus is better. I own an Acura and im pretty happy with it, But the buildy quality is not as good as a Lexus. My moms car has never been waxed, just standard washed, its been around for 5 years, the interior gets vacuumed like once every other month. The leather is looking better than the TL ive had for 15 months, and the outside still looks great. There has never been any extra maintenance besides oil changes, and transmission and those types of fluid changes. Same has gone for my dads Lexus, albeit newer.

My acura has already needed an ECU flash, new plastic parts for a 2 broken pieces behind the door handles.

I would just like to bring up a few things.

Im happy with my acura, but the the build quality and the prestige is not up to par with lexus.

WHen you pay 10k to 20k more for a car in the same class, There are going to be improvements.

Sure you can say, oh well my acura has voice recognition and HFL and touchscreen navi... But look at it this way, you buy a top of the line aftermarket navi system that plays mp3s and dvdvideos and touchscreen and its like $2500
Yeah a TL has voice recognition, Hell my $99 cell phone has voice recognition.

You can throw a bunch of gadgets in a car and try to make it seem better than other cars, but some fancy features only give the allusion of a quality car. Look at Acura seats and then look at Lexus seats. One has better leather and is more comfortable to sit on. Look at Lexus paint, have u ever hearf of it being too thin?

Drive a real lexus and you know that there were no compromises made on its quality.

There, im finished. let the denial flaming begin
Old 04-03-2005, 11:32 PM
Troublemaker

i would just like to add, which dumbass engineer decided to disable Driver control of the other 3 windows when Window lock is engaged. hmm... cmon Acura, youre better than that.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:51 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,055 Likes on 2,519 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbowhat2
I know about 50 people who drive a lexus and not one person is unhappy with their car.

BTW do you realize that consumer reports nor any magazine is going to have 100% data. Do you think consumer reports went around and found every single car ever made and found out if it had any problems? And what constitutes a problem? I cant think of any lexus recalls but the TL already has 2 major recalls. hmmm... dont always go by what a magazine knows, go by what you know.

You will convince very few people that Acuras are better quality vehicles than lexus. Of course you have a huge bias since you own one. But ask any objective person and 9 out of 10 will probably say lexus is better. I own an Acura and im pretty happy with it, But the buildy quality is not as good as a Lexus. My moms car has never been waxed, just standard washed, its been around for 5 years, the interior gets vacuumed like once every other month. The leather is looking better than the TL ive had for 15 months, and the outside still looks great. There has never been any extra maintenance besides oil changes, and transmission and those types of fluid changes. Same has gone for my dads Lexus, albeit newer.

My acura has already needed an ECU flash, new plastic parts for a 2 broken pieces behind the door handles.

I would just like to bring up a few things.

Im happy with my acura, but the the build quality and the prestige is not up to par with lexus.

WHen you pay 10k to 20k more for a car in the same class, There are going to be improvements.

Sure you can say, oh well my acura has voice recognition and HFL and touchscreen navi... But look at it this way, you buy a top of the line aftermarket navi system that plays mp3s and dvdvideos and touchscreen and its like $2500
Yeah a TL has voice recognition, Hell my $99 cell phone has voice recognition.

You can throw a bunch of gadgets in a car and try to make it seem better than other cars, but some fancy features only give the allusion of a quality car. Look at Acura seats and then look at Lexus seats. One has better leather and is more comfortable to sit on. Look at Lexus paint, have u ever hearf of it being too thin?

Drive a real lexus and you know that there were no compromises made on its quality.

There, im finished. let the denial flaming begin
I drove a IS300 last year back to back with a TL and found too many compromises in cheaper materials used in the IS300 compared to the TL.

Discounting the FWD versus RWD debate, the TL had a nicer interior with better instruments/nterstackup/seats. The cars were in the same price range.

Lexus do make fine quality cars but that also watch cost like any other manufacturer, the 1st gen LS400 used the gearshift handle straight off a Camry so compromises are always made with any manufacturer.

I do agree that the GS and LS interior materials for the seats are superior, and the sheetmetal sandwedge used on Lexus's floorpans is also great for reduction of NVH. I also agree that Lexus's prestige is also higher than Acura.

In terms of
"WHen you pay 10k to 20k more for a car in the same class, There are going to be improvements." talk to a Landrover/Rangerover owner and see if he/she agree with that statment.

Quick Reply: Acura vs. Lexus Quality