3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura vs. Lexus Quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 09:56 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I have to say is that the Slime Green interior Lexus has going on with its clocks and what not is UGLY, and to think there so posh. Humh!!
Old 04-04-2005, 10:55 AM
Cruisin'

I never thought much of Acura before, it seem like it was another Honda with more options. With that said, I own a Nissan, a Infinity and a Honda S2000. I am looking to buy a new car now and I went out to test drive all the Luxary brands, the Infinty M series, the G series, the Lexus es 330 and GS300, the Audi A6, the Mercedes C class and M class as well as the BMW 5 series.
Here's my assesment :
German cars in gerneral has a better quality feel Audi and BMW have a real cault feel to it the C class is kinda cheap M is nice. The consumer reports though te;ll a different story, the reliability and cost to own is typically much higher and the cost of entry is much higher as well. My dad has a BMW 7 series and a mecedes S class and he tells me both are in the shop regularly.

The Japanes cars I had the lowest expectationm for the Acura and the highest for Lexus, I ended up liking the TL and RL the best. The lexus seemed too cushy and plastic to me when I drove it lack of solidity and raod feel very insulated like a Grandma car and ver y over priced. The Inifinity drove really well and handles very well, but the G35 was plain cheap, and the M was just not up to par in the interior quality. I actullay like the Acura best and a big surprise for me. I have since decided to purchase a TL, a work car and I am in and out of parking garages all day or I get the RL and the price was what I would consider a bargain.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
I drove a IS300 last year back to back with a TL and found too many compromises in cheaper materials used in the IS300 compared to the TL.
That was the same for me. Plus, the IS was smaller than the TL...seemed like a toy car to me. Interestingly, the one thing that did it for me (and has totally soured me on Lexus) was the experience I had at the dealership. I got more high pressure sales tactics and harassing phone calls from them than I have ever gotten elsewhere (even American dealers).
Old 04-04-2005, 05:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbowhat2
I know about 50 people who drive a lexus and not one person is unhappy with their car.

lol i'm unhappy w/ the LS430... its boring to drive

LEXUS is for the older crowd that buys cars mainly for transportation, or those ppl dat want cars w/ more performance potential, since toyota/lexus motors are built really strong from factory and can take a lot of power

ACURA is for the younger crowd, ppl that like cars that have lotta gadgets and stuff u can mess around w/ while u driving or just chillin in the car. More fun to drive because it is sportier

Its like BMW vs Mercedes

most of us teens and younger adults would probably choose BMW over Mercedes because its more of a sports luxury vehicle. Handles better, more fun to drive. Older people would probably chose Mercedes because its just a plain luxury image. Makes you look rich
Old 04-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Troublemaker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SlayerGTR
lol i'm unhappy w/ the LS430... its boring to drive

LEXUS is for the older crowd that buys cars mainly for transportation, or those ppl dat want cars w/ more performance potential, since toyota/lexus motors are built really strong from factory and can take a lot of power

ACURA is for the younger crowd, ppl that like cars that have lotta gadgets and stuff u can mess around w/ while u driving or just chillin in the car. More fun to drive because it is sportier

Its like BMW vs Mercedes

most of us teens and younger adults would probably choose BMW over Mercedes because its more of a sports luxury vehicle. Handles better, more fun to drive. Older people would probably chose Mercedes because its just a plain luxury image. Makes you look rich
1) The LS430 is not yoru car, its your parents. I assume if you could choose to buy something for 60k youd buy an M3 or 911 or something along those lines. But i bet your dad or mom is happy with it

2) I agree acura has many vehicles for the younger crowd. The RSX, TSX. The TL is designed for slightly older people, but young people, like me (im 18) have them too.

3) The TL may seem alittle sportier with slightly more HP, but a FWD car has some limitations. The limitations arent that bad... but they consist of:
-No really Solid Launches because as it launches, pressure on the front wheels decreases and therefore traction decreases. You will tend to peel out more on a fwd car. This is also why HP is limited on fwd cars. I would be surprised If anyone came out with a 350hp range FWD car.
-Sliding on turns... when you begin to slide on a fwd car, you also lose steering power. You need to let off the gas and allow the steering wheels (the front ones) to regain traction. On a RWD or AWD car you can accelerate in the turns better because even if the rear tires slip alittle, control is not compromised because the front tires are not the ones losing traction. Of course, an all out slide makes u lose control on all 4 wheels, so awd, fwd, or rwd wont help with steering control

4) Mercedes has had problems since merging with chrysler. BMW's are fine. Some are high maintenance, but the steering and road feel on a BMW is really good. A lot better than an Acura. I think that the RL is a good step by acura because of the power and AWD.

If you try to do anything "sporty" in a TL other than flat out acceleration or moderate speed cornering then youll find the limitations im talking about.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:36 PM
Instructor

Bottom line - drive what you like. My '05 TL replaced a '99 LS400. LS400 better quality, TL a lot more fun. I'm a Honda fan though. I'll probably get another Lexus in 20 years. :-)
Old 04-05-2005, 04:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by adam209
all you have to look at is the IS300. they've had some pretty sh!tty problems too
Yeah, but the IS300 is actually a rebadged Toyota.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:36 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by cpurick
Yeah, but the IS300 is actually a rebadged Toyota.
Which Toyota is rebadged as the IS300?
Old 04-05-2005, 06:50 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by @cUr@-TL
i sat in a few Lexus and the fit and finish and overall quality seemed much better than Acura... now i dont know how the car holds up after a few thousand miles.. but brand new Lexus is superior IMO...
I feel the same way. Out of all the Acura models that I sat in at the recent NY auto show, it's the little TSX that IMO had the best quality for an Acura. Everything lined up tightly. In the TL, where the metal trim meets the bottom of the armrest/cubby, there was a small gap where it didn't quite meet up to join the plastic. Even though it's real aluminum and the one in the TSX is fake, in the TSX it looks like it's integrated into the dash and doors. In the TL, it looks tacked on, and the slightly raised position that you feel when you run your finger over it confirms it.

The RL I was disappointed with. The aluminum (or satin nickel or whatever it is they call it) is plastic. Warm to the touch, didn't have the metal sound when I tapped it. Same for the interior door pulls, plastic aluminum laid over black plastic (looked pretty downmarket in a ~50K car). Had a very light and delicate feel to them, didn't have the confident feel of standard metal chrome door pulls. Not sure if it was cost cutting or if they made it so it wouldn't get hot (ambient lighting shines down on them, don't know if that can even make them hot). Although the leather felt and looked thick/rich.

The Lexus models, pretty much all of them, displayed exemplary levels of fit and finish. Although if I'm going to rag on Acura for using fake aluminum, I'm also going to point out that Lexus does the same. And so do BMW and Mercedes. Only Infiniti has upped the ante and is using authentic metal across all its models, but that doesn't necessarily make them aesthetically pleasing to look at (IMO the metal-everywhere theme is getting old). I'm pretty sure Audi uses real metal too, but for some reason they were all locked so I couldn't get inside them.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:52 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by racezx9
I never thought much of Acura before, it seem like it was another Honda with more options. With that said, I own a Nissan, a Infinity and a Honda S2000.
Why is it that even owners misspell Infiniti?
Old 04-05-2005, 08:00 AM
Cruisin'

not quite sure why people are getting so over heated about these cars, they are all pretty good and at the end of the day you buy what you like. Things to consider are that car in teh same price/ segment need to be compared against each other. Comparing a 30 thousand sedan against a 50 thousand sedan makes no sense. The TL is a good car and a bargain for the money, it take you from point a to point b in comfort and entertainment, that's all. If you want to talk about performance or pure luxary then go specifically into those cars Bentley vs. S class, Ferrari vs. Lamborghini or Porsche Turbo. I own a Sport Ut for utility a sports car for entertainment and a Sedan for daily driver for communte. I trade them in and buy another periodically for change and fun. Some of the people here need to relax.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:31 AM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

Lexus is also slowly evolving these few years. With the new GS, the new IS coming out, and more and more orientation towards the sport aspect of sport luxury, it is definitely going to give acura a run for its money.

In terms of service, there is no way for me it is even close. My dad has a lexus LS430 - when he bought it, the showroom (Lexus Steven's Creek in San Jose) was very professional, the whole showroom was INSIDE and covered with a/c (a rarity here), everything was brand new. The salesman even drove to our HOUSE to pick up the title for the car we traded in. After 500 miles they tell you to bring your car in for a safety check to make sure everything is perfect on the car. Every loaner car they have is less than 2 years old, and they never outsource to enterprise or whatever.

That being said, my TL is a great bargain. But it's really more like Honda/Toyota level, then Acura level, then Lexus in terms of service quality. Actualy i might even doubt that, some Acura dealers have treated me worse than a Honda :P
Old 04-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cyco
Which Toyota is rebadged as the IS300?
Ever wonder why they're called "Altezza" lights...?

In some markets the IS series is sold as the Toyota Altezza. In fact, it was marketed under that name for a couple of years before Lexus introduced it in the US, and by that time its distinctive taillights were already associated with the "rice" crowd.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Troublemaker

the new IS350 is pretty sexy i think

Old 04-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Cruisin'

In some markets the IS series is sold as the Toyota Altezza. In fact, it was marketed under that name for a couple of years before Lexus introduced it in the US, and by that time its distinctive taillights were already associated with the "rice" crowd.
Actually, I never really gave much thought to the Altezza name... Interesting!
Old 04-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Racer

Acura, clearly, is better than most and is a well built car. But Lexus is on a whole different level with quality, that is one of their selling points. People know they have the best chance of having a top quality car. In Europe the brand is also #1 for service, satisfaction and quality.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

In some markets the RL is sold as the Honda Legend, so what? Is the RL just a "re-badged" Honda. Sure it is. Still a good car.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Troublemaker

In General For Quality:

Lexus > Acura

When You Factor in $$$ You can get Lexus = Acura or Acura > Lexus

However, thats also the reason why you dont get as much respect or prestige while driving an Acura as opposed to Driving a Lexus.

Well i drove my moms lexus around today because i had to drop off my acura for the 2nd GEAR RECALL!!!... anyways... everything was amazingly smooth. You can steer a lexus with 1 pinky on the wheel. We have not changed the Brake pads on my moms car in the 5 years weve had it, and they work great and have never squeeked. The Tires Have never been replaced and they seem fine too. I drove over huge potholes and i couldnt feel a thing.

For the purposes that it was designed for my moms lexus exceeeded all expectations.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:47 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
In General For Quality:

Lexus > Acura

When You Factor in $$$ You can get Lexus = Acura or Acura > Lexus

However, thats also the reason why you dont get as much respect or prestige while driving an Acura as opposed to Driving a Lexus.

Well i drove my moms lexus around today because i had to drop off my acura for the 2nd GEAR RECALL!!!... anyways... everything was amazingly smooth. You can steer a lexus with 1 pinky on the wheel. We have not changed the Brake pads on my moms car in the 5 years weve had it, and they work great and have never squeeked. The Tires Have never been replaced and they seem fine too. I drove over huge potholes and i couldnt feel a thing.

For the purposes that it was designed for my moms lexus exceeeded all expectations.
With all due respect, your mom drives her car everyday, not you. Is it possible that if the drivers were reversed so would the experience be? Nothing personal but I don't think you can exceed the expectations of an 18 year old with a car.

As the graphs above indicate, Lexus quality is better but Acura is not bad. Again, to whom it applies, numerous 0-100-0 runs or clipping most available apexes do not help a car seem as 'strong as an anvil'.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:10 PM
Instructor

What I really want to know is why a Lexus radio commercial sounds like a Mercedes commercial, while an Acura radio commercial sounds like an ad for a Chevy?
Old 04-05-2005, 11:55 PM
black on black on bla....

05 RL is nicer than the new gs- however i love them both
IS= do not like, the new one coming out is an improvement but TL doesnt compare
es300 looks way too much like a camry but the interior and features are nice
but i would take new lexus rx330 over the mdx anyday
Old 04-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Advanced

Lexus customer service is the best! My dealer sells Lexus, Acura and Chevy and there is a big diff in customer service at all three shops.

My wife has a Coach Edition 02 RX 300 that seems to be tighter than my 04 TL.

I love my TL but the Lexus is better quality...
Old 04-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Cruisin'

I drove a es330 and a Tl back to back and the TL felt and look like it has better quality, and it drove much better but the dealership experience was very different. The Lexus dealership was much more professional and less greasy.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:31 PM
Cruiser

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by racezx9
not quite sure why people are getting so over heated about these cars, they are all pretty good and at the end of the day you buy what you like. Things to consider are that car in teh same price/ segment need to be compared against each other. Comparing a 30 thousand sedan against a 50 thousand sedan makes no sense. The TL is a good car and a bargain for the money, it take you from point a to point b in comfort and entertainment, that's all. If you want to talk about performance or pure luxary then go specifically into those cars Bentley vs. S class, Ferrari vs. Lamborghini or Porsche Turbo. I own a Sport Ut for utility a sports car for entertainment and a Sedan for daily driver for communte. I trade them in and buy another periodically for change and fun. Some of the people here need to relax.

reading through this thread, you are the only one that seemed to recognize the gross mistakes everyone has been making in comparing companies. When conducting an analysis you have to compare same class items. you can't compare a TL vs a LS430. They are not in the same class. A TL is a near luxury vehicle whereas a LS is a luxury vehicle. Apples and oranges.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
reliablilty in most Mags. are the readers who own the vehicles respond.... amybe the ones who hav probs arnt responding
Old 04-08-2005, 08:06 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 05ACURATL
lexus is for old people! no offense to anybody! i will buy lexus when im 60!
Agreed! When I want a soft comfortable car for my retired butt, I will buy a Lexus. Until then, I want my adrenaline rush out of my TL. Lexus makes good reliable quality cars, Acura makes performance oriented, fun to drive, sports sedans!! that keep you young
Old 04-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Troublemaker

Originally Posted by typesfan
Agreed! When I want a soft comfortable car for my retired butt, I will buy a Lexus. Until then, I want my adrenaline rush out of my TL. Lexus makes good reliable quality cars, Acura makes performance oriented, fun to drive, sports sedans!! that keep you young

acura does not make a true sportscar (except for the NSX). The Sc430 is ugly, but is more sporty than anything acura can dish out right now (except for the nsx).

acura has a problem called FWD. when they fix this they can actually say they make a sportscar.

And btw, take a look at the next generation Lexus IS, say the IS350. Because it will rip the TL a new asshole.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Advanced

acura does not make a true sportscar (except for the NSX). The Sc430 is ugly, but is more sporty than anything acura can dish out right now (except for the nsx).

acura has a problem called FWD. when they fix this they can actually say they make a sportscar.

And btw, take a look at the next generation Lexus IS, say the IS350. Because it will rip the TL a new asshole.
And Miami will rip Phoenix a new one in the NBA playoffs.

AFTER the IS350 is released and can be compared and has been around long enough to have its reliability proven MAYBE you will be correct, but until then it is just speculation and means NOTHING. Besides,, the IS series in general is ugly.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by typesfan
You can't be serious. Stock, you get RWD in some cars, now AWD and V-8s. The Lexus aftermarket is pretty damn solid, you got tons of turbo IS 300s, SC 300s and even F/I GSs around. Acuras are fun, but you cannot say Lexus is all boring. That is ignorant.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:05 PM
Troublemaker

Originally Posted by HiG4s
And Miami will rip Phoenix a new one in the NBA playoffs.

AFTER the IS350 is released and can be compared and has been around long enough to have its reliability proven MAYBE you will be correct, but until then it is just speculation and means NOTHING. Besides,, the IS series in general is ugly.
in 12 months i will pm u and let you know "i told you so"
Old 04-09-2005, 08:26 AM
Drifting

as usual...you get what you pay for with automobiles....that extra $20K you pay for the Lexus does seem a little high for what you get.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Cruisin'

I think a car within the same class in size and market segmant should be compared together. Such as G35, TL, ES330, mercedes C-class, BMW 3 series. they varie in price by as much as 10 Grand. I feel that the TL is probably the bargain of them all, everyone of them have it's fault and virtues, front wheel vs. rear wheel, performance vs aminities, quality and fit/ finish. For the dollars I think TL is good blend of comfort aminities and performance.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Riu
2004 TL

My mom just got a 06 gs 300 awd, give me a few weeks and ill see.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:46 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a 1999 GS400 and a 2005 TL. I would say right off the bat....Lexus has the quality beat for the most part....although I am not sure comparing a car that was built in Japan and imported is comparable to an Acura built in Ohio. I like the TL better, because it is newer- but if the GS was brand new....it would be a tough choice (the 99 GS style that is...I dont really care for the new ones - look too much like a BMW and a million other cars like that)

Was suprised that Lexus was "following the leader" on the redesign of the GS series cars instead of forging ahead with their "own unique" design. This new GS sux looks-wise. Doesnt set any precedence like the 98-03 GS series - or more importantly...the Acura TL. Now that is a new design that rocks! That is what got me looking at them...not to mention the quality. I came from a Cadillac Deville before...and swore I would NEVER buy American again. A matter of fact....I was a little disappointed that it was made in Ohio! EVERY TIME that damn Americans get ahold of something in assembly...it is bound to get messed up! We dont manufacture good here with the same quality that the cars coming from Japan that have about 2% American parts (I figure this is the wheels and tires or something).

Americans need to get with it as far as Auto mfg goes......they still lag behind in quality badly....not that we all dont know that! (and I am as red-blooded American as anybody - just tired to getting F-ed over buying our American crap!)
Old 08-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jmo
Let me start by saying that I love my '04 TL. My wife and I also own an '04 Lexus RX330. I have to say that as much as I love my TL, I feel that the Lexus product is higher in quality. I can't imagine Lexus putting out a product that does not start right away when you turn the key, or leave butt marks in the leather. Like I said , I am really enjoying my TL, and I plan on keeping it for a very long time, I have just decided that Lexus quality is better than Acura.
Compared to the TL Leuxs and Infiniti are higher quality. Once Acura made the TL in the states, it really hurt it.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vtechbrain
Hah I thought you guys might be right so I went straight to consumer report and looked it up (lexus drivers don't read consumer reports because the publication uses polysyllabic words)!!! Of the 3 year old cars the number one brand is....... ACURA with 21 problems per 100 cars! Toyota and Lexus share 2nd with both 25! Honda is 3rd with32. The avg is 55, BMW is 54; Mercedes gets a crappy 73 and Cadillac brings up the rear 82. As usual KNOWLEDGE IS POWER all else is BS! Acura is number one and if you need more info here's the link, although you have to be a member!

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/...=1077760480844

More sour grapes dear lexus friends!!!!!
a 5 year old report is useless.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL 5 year old reports... JD power has initial quality report ... that is what you look at and it tells a tale for sure... Acura is slipping.. More cars sold, dropping in quality, less profit.

Got to look at the whole picture. And while some like the styling and performance of the TL, it is not holding up to other brands... That's the first sign of problems. I think they could make it better but the thing would cost about 37k.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mickey3c
LOL 5 year old reports... JD power has initial quality report ... that is what you look at and it tells a tale for sure... Acura is slipping.. More cars sold, dropping in quality, less profit.

Got to look at the whole picture. And while some like the styling and performance of the TL, it is not holding up to other brands... That's the first sign of problems. I think they could make it better but the thing would cost about 37k.

I personally wouldn’t mind paying more if they change the fwd to rwd or awd and raise the quality standard. Its just hard to buy a car for 37k and its still a fwd.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by Tunerman
Compared to the TL Leuxs and Infiniti are higher quality. Once Acura made the TL in the states, it really hurt it.
I agree on Lexus, but Infiniti is another case.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AsianRage
I agree on Lexus, but Infiniti is another case.
Well, you don't see people complaining about quality like the TL on Infintis.

Quick Reply: Acura vs. Lexus Quality