Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura TL vs. Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wall e
The LExus IS does not have a back up camera, which is so much better than sensors. The IS does not have left/right blinkers on the side mirrors like the 07 08 TL's, the IS does not have LED tail lights, the center break light of the IS is not at the Top/roof of car like the TL which is a luxury feature IMO,

Yes the IS is faster than the TL and lighter, but who races???
A few things......

1. The backup camera comes with the navi package on '07-up, I've seen it up close.

2. You are right, it does not have signals in the mirrors but one thing it has that I wish my TL had is puddle lights in the mirrors that are independent of the interior lights. Very cool when you see it at night. You walk close to the car with the key fob (push button start) in your pocket and the mirrors shine on the ground first and as you get closer, the interior lights come on right before you open the doors. Pretty slick. They are not LEDs but if I had it, I could make it look sweet.

3. I'm with you on the racing statement. I'm not doing it in my car on the streets. You wanna weigh my balls, lets go to the track. I will bring my bike and you bring whatever you have and will will see who's d*#k is bigger.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:32 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
And I don't care what anyone in the 4G community says...the first thing that attracts you to ANY car is the exterior looks.
I loled.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wall e
The LExus IS does not have a back up camera, which is so much better than sensors. The IS does not have left/right blinkers on the side mirrors like the 07 08 TL's, the IS does not have LED tail lights, the center break light of the IS is not at the Top/roof of car like the TL which is a luxury feature IMO,

Yes the IS is faster than the TL and lighter, but who races???
Since 06 the Is had backup camera and 08 they came with the blinkers. The Is has more features than the tl, but you pay for it. One feature of many the IS has is ac seats which even the new tl does not have. .
Old 01-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kobi2002
One feature of many the IS has is ac seats which even the new tl does not have. .
Yeah, one of the few things you get when stepping up to the RL is heated and cooled seats. It is nice but not worth it for 50k.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Intermediate

I think you will find that the 2 cars are pretty nice but the IS will be a little more refined and the service will be WAY better. I cant believe that acura sells luxury cars and you have to wait for the car to get an oil change. I have had an infiniti , lexus , and an acura over the past 5 years and the Lexus is hands down the better car i terms of reliability and service quality, the infiniti was the best performer, but the most unreliable. The acura was a great car all around, except for the poor service quality and treatment. when I bring in my GS350 I am always amazed at how insane the service is
Old 01-05-2009, 02:27 AM
KBPftmfw

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
^ not sure about your dealer but mine offers great service. A free loaner if you need it. If not, the waiting area has a stocked fridge with different drinks and all kinds of snacks. Plus, there is a tv and every magazine under the sun.

Personally, I compared the IS250 AWD to the Type-S and you can see which one I own. While the IS may be more refined, for me, it was too refined. I still wanted some brawn to the car and the IS seemed too polished. The IS250 AWD couldn't offer the performance of the Type-S, either. Type-S wins in interior form, function and space compared to the IS. Exterior is a definite win for the Type-S. The lines on the TL are arguably the best on the road right now, factor in the additional appearance mods from the factory on the Type-S and it's checkmate Acura.

So, better performance w/ better gas mileage, better exterior/interior looks, better overall form and function = Acura TL Type-S ftmfw!
Old 01-05-2009, 03:25 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Some neat features of the IS that the TL does not have
[based on my cousin's IS250 AWD non-navi automatic].

- Rear auto up/down windows.
- Nice and very bright white LED interior lighting
- Dome yellow-ish lighting shines VERY bright [independent of LEDs]
- Center arm rest slides out then bends on an angle
- Small ash tray 'slides' up when pushed
- Interesting design on the 'oh-shit-handle-bars'
- Push start/off
- Side-mirror puddle light
- Very quiet car
- Rear center back rest folds down and has it's own 'compartment' by raising the top half
- VERY comfortable leather seats
- 3 Speakers on each door
- "shelf styled" glove compartment.
- Foot-lighting [older TLs do not have this]
- Speedometer adds/changes color once reaching 120KM/H

Cons I find in the IS250 AWD [non-navi automatic]
- "E-Brake"/"Hand-brake" is the 'step-on/step-off' type and not a lever.
- Automatic headlights [turns from DRLs to lowbeams for you]
- More of a 4-seater as the rear-mid-flooring is just as high as the seat--thus no proper leg rest for a 3rd-rear-seater
- Buttons not as conveniently placed out as a TL
- Sunroof controller is a rotating dial
- One cup-holder by the shift-knob---and one cup holder in the center-arm rest
- No tape/cassette player
Old 01-05-2009, 06:31 AM
Advanced

It depends on what kind of driving you do or what kinda of car do you prefer. I would take a IS over a 3rd gen TL just because the TL's are Wrong wheel drive. And the New TL SHAWDs are pretty ugly. We just got a 06 TL though, but it is the G/F's car. I will be trading in my wrx for an IS250awd in the summer.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think you will find that the 2 cars are pretty nice but the IS will be a little more refined and the service will be WAY better. I cant believe that acura sells luxury cars and you have to wait for the car to get an oil change. I have had an infiniti , lexus , and an acura over the past 5 years and the Lexus is hands down the better car i terms of reliability and service quality, the infiniti was the best performer, but the most unreliable. The acura was a great car all around, except for the poor service quality and treatment. when I bring in my GS350 I am always amazed at how insane the service is
Lol.. well I definitely don't disagree. I've never owned an Infiniti but when I took my Lexbo for service they always gave me a fair price and didn't try to sell me service that wasn't needed. I went a couple times for clogged fuel filter (hornet's nest) and they didn't charge me a thing! Plus if I bring the OE part they'll do a repair and only charge flat labor cost.

Everytime I go to Acura I tape my ass cheeks together and leave my wallet at home. Unbelievable.. Not to say Acura has bad techs or the service I had with them was poor. I'm just tired of being sold on maintenance and repair that isn't needed.