Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura TL vs. Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
But if I don't like the way a car looks on the outside, it makes it tough on the interior to make up the difference.
x2
Old 12-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
Having spent time driving all of the above, the 335i does fairly well when it comes to each of those attributes. But IMHO, the TL-S still represents a better value than the 335i and IS350. (Thought the Infiniti G does come close.)
no doubt that BMW is a reliable company. but im just saying because some members are simply posting 0-60 times and drag times.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
Originally Posted by paliknight
no doubt that BMW is a reliable company. but im just saying because some members are simply posting 0-60 times and drag times.
This is an enthusiast website so acceleration prowess tend to rule the day over most other attributes.

But, you are correct in that the OP is looking beyond acceleration times and is seeking comparative opinions with regard to 'material quality, quietness, handling and comfort.'
Old 12-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
The IS 350 has alot of issues with rattles. Its the worst Lexus ever for that. Nice but not a sports sedan even though its RWD.

Now the IS-F is a TOTALLY different story, WOW.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Guys, I've been thinking more about this post. I know that Lexus (and Infinity too) have "luxury" attached to them. Do you feel as though Acura has the same status? If you said "Acura" to someone, does it carry the same prestige as Lexus and Infinity? And don't be biased, just because you one an Acura.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:43 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Umm the G37 Sedan goes 0-60 in 5sec flat, and my freind with a G37 Raced his other freind in the IS350. The IS got teh jump everytime, but the G37 walked it everytime, the guy was in disbelief. He thought it was modded or chipped, but it was totally stock.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I have a good friend with an IS350 and I've logged many miles in it. I've also run him around a course and in a straight line.

Road/wind noise is about the same. My friend's car has the sport suspension option and he test drove the non-sport model and noted it had less road noise.

The TL has a slightly better ride than the sport suspension equipped IS350. I've never driven one without the sport suspension.

On equal tires, the TL outbrakes and out handles the IS. We made lap after lap with him on the factory optional tires and me on the 255/40 G-forces. I could brake later and flat out carry more speed around a corner. This was before any suspension mods. The TL in stock form is really limited by it's crappy tires but somehow does very well compared to the better equipped competition.

The IS understeered badly, much worse than the TL. I could get it to kick the tail out pretty easily by lifting throttle in a hard corner.

Surprisingly the FWD TL has more steering feel which is usually not the case in FWD vs RWD.

Headroom is an issue with me in the IS. I'm 6'1" and get most of my height from the waist up. If I sit straight up, my hair touches the roof.

In acceleration, the IS350 wins hands down. It runs rings around my 5AT base TL. A manual type S with some healthy bolt-ons might give it a run from a roll.

The IS also has a much better turning radius, better leather, cooler guages, and I like the interior lighting better.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Guys, I've been thinking more about this post. I know that Lexus (and Infinity too) have "luxury" attached to them. Do you feel as though Acura has the same status? If you said "Acura" to someone, does it carry the same prestige as Lexus and Infinity? And don't be biased, just because you one an Acura.
In short, no. To me it does but to my friends, no. They consider my friend's IS350 to be much more expensive even though they were within a couple thousand of each other.

I think of cars like BMW and Mercedes as true luxury/sport cars. Acura/Honda, Infinity/Nissan, and Lexus/Toyota are based on cheap models with many nice features added, engine and suspension combos, more leather, better looks, and more sound deadening.

But driving a Bimmer or Mercedes just gives a better, more solid and expensive feel.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
Lexus= Quality fit and finish, luxury, smooth boring quiet ride

Infiniti=Not quite as good quality as Lexus, firmer, better handling, quick.

Acura= Not as sporty as Infiniti, much better then lexus, better interiors, except Infiniti M series.

From sportiest and less luxury

#1 Infiniti
#2 Acura
#3 Lexus-Except the IS-F= FUN
Old 12-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
I'd say no, Acura doesn't have nearly the same connotations of "luxury" that Lexus and, to a lesser degree, Infiniti exude. But then again, Lexus, with the exception of the IS-F (for all intents and purposes a glorified Corolla), isn't nearly as sporty as most Acuras are either.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Good question. I personally don't think the Acura brand carries the same luxury "weight" as Infiniti and Lexus mainly because Acuras, on average, cost less than their counterparts and they didn't have as many models in the beginning. Heck, the word "Lexus" just sounds better than almost anything else out there. Hard to fight that. Additionally, Honda's reluctance to build a model with rear wheel drive didn't help either.

Originally Posted by I hate cars
The IS also has a much better turning radius, better leather, cooler gauges, and I like the interior lighting better.
Yeah, the leather is better and the gauges are nice on the IS but most of us here have switched out the interior lighting for LEDs so I would say that is about even.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is an enthusiast website so acceleration prowess tend to rule the day over most other attributes.

But, you are correct in that the OP is looking beyond acceleration times and is seeking comparative opinions with regard to 'material quality, quietness, handling and comfort.'
your also correct. i guess for the sake of argument, speed/engine power is the primary comparison among cars. then its quality, optional features, etc...

but in reality, safety should be the number one concern.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would get the Tl over an IS 250 and a tl type S over an IS350.. but the ISF is an entirely different story
Old 12-31-2008, 08:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by paliknight
your also correct. i guess for the sake of argument, speed/engine power is the primary comparison among cars. then its quality, optional features, etc...

but in reality, safety should be the number one concern.
Be it the TL, E90, G35/G37 or IS, each are fairly even when it comes to safety. But if safety is a seriously overriding concern in one's vehicle purchase considerations then maybe a Honda Accord or Odyssey is a better bet over *.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:48 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
#1 : test drive all cars; perferably in the same day, and see which one grabs you the most.

Make a list of what you get back to back in each car and compare it's features and their cost's back to back.

then make a decision.

all those cars are hot, and very capable. it will come down to the smaller details and $$$.

thats what I would do
Old 12-31-2008, 10:29 AM
7th Gear

The G37 Sedan interior isn't great. I sat down in it and didn't really feel anything. The vibe wasn't there. The interior is nice BUT i'd take a IS or TL over it anyday. So i asked the guy for a test drive to see if that'll change my mind. The car is definately faster than the previous G35 sedan, fun car with great acceleration. I've now driven all 3 cars brought up. The IS350 is the winner with power and speed driving straight, then the G37, then the TL Type S. The TL had the best space area and the seats gets a little uncomfortable on long trips. The IS has great seats and man i Love how they feel! The G37 seats were stiff and a would rather sit in a Civic's seat (But the leather looked nice) It's all about personal interests. I still wish the Type S was RWD or something. My winner would be any of the 3 would be good. I only owned my Type S for a few weeks before it got totalled, I have yet bought another car since BUT I'm looking into a 08 Saab Turbo X =) (check out the factory exhaust note guys!)
Old 12-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Cruisin'

I used to own 06 IS350 before i had an accident. Now, I got 08 base TL (Auto). If you have to choose one of the car, I would say IS 350. But IS has a very small room compared to TL..
Old 12-31-2008, 01:50 PM
Intermediate

I borrowed my friend's '08 IS250 auto (8k mi) w/18in wheels (sport suspension) last week and just returned it to him yesterday. I was thinking of upgrading to the IS350. Right now I drive an '06 TL auto (30k mi) and I also have an '01 Corvette Z06 as a weekend car.

My impression after 200 miles in no particular order:

1. Power--TL feels more powerful when you get on the on ramp. But for 80% of my driving, I can't tell the difference. Somehow the IS250 actually feels lighter on its feet. Of course the IS350 would make this a non issue. So IS350 would win here.

2. Handling--the IS handles better and feels sportier. Keep in mind that I have OEM Bridgestone EL-42 tires with 30k mi and 17 inch rims. The IS has 18in wheels with better tires and only 8k mi. I pick the IS.

3. Ride--IS wins. Very smooth and absorb bumps very well. Could be that the IS is newer, has less mileage, and better tires. IS also feels quieter. Another one for the IS.

4. Space--if you need back seats, the TL wins. But if you're like me (single no kids), the front is just slightly smaller than the TL. Also, if you're over 5'10", I think the IS might be cramp for you. I'm 5'8" and I had to lower the seat all the way to the bottom just to get 2-3 inches clearance between my head and the roof. So for me, the IS is fine in terms of space.

5. Rattles--none in the IS, even with stereo crank all the way up. I have lots of rattle in my TL. One near the driver window, one in moon roof, one in passenger seat, and a lot in the trunk area when I turn up the stereo. Again, could be the the IS is newer. Yet another for the IS.

6. Stereo--IS hands down. Great sound with no rattles.

7. Luxury--IS seats feels better and the center console looks better. But the TL has better dash and the surfaces on the side door feels better. I give the IS a slight edge on this one.

So even after all that driving with the IS winning most categories that are important to me, I still can't decide. Why? Because of the look.

Sometimes I feel like the IS looks too girly. Having a lot of females own the IS doesn't help either. I guess I can also put on a body kit to set it apart. TL looks more manly to me. If you're a girl, then you're lucky. So I still can't decide on this one. It's probably the hardest decision to make and I might not go for the IS350 just because of this.

Right now I'm thinking of maybe getting better tires for a smoother ride, less noise, and better handling. If that doesn't help, then go with A-spec suspension or 18 inch wheels for a slightly better handling. Although my goal is to keep a soft ride. I have a lowered Corvette Z06 so I don't have a need for rough ride.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:07 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Originally Posted by mso4
I borrowed my friend's '08 IS250 auto (8k mi) w/18in wheels (sport suspension) last week and just returned it to him yesterday. I was thinking of upgrading to the IS350. Right now I drive an '06 TL auto (30k mi) and I also have an '01 Corvette Z06 as a weekend car.

My impression after 200 miles in no particular order:

1. Power--TL feels more powerful when you get on the on ramp. But for 80% of my driving, I can't tell the difference. Somehow the IS250 actually feels lighter on its feet. Of course the IS350 would make this a non issue. So IS350 would win here. - IS350 has 100lbs on the 3GTL and the IS250 is 50lbs lighter but also has a 2.5L engine. Bad comparison.. 3G TL type S vs. IS350.. Acura TSX vs. IS250.. 3G TL Base is the median

2. Handling--the IS handles better and feels sportier. Keep in mind that I have OEM Bridgestone EL-42 tires with 30k mi and 17 inch rims. The IS has 18in wheels with better tires and only 8k mi. I pick the IS. - what? TL beats IS all day in handling. If we're doing a real comparo the TL-type S pulls a 0.91g the IS350 pulls a 0.87g. The Base TL and IS250 pull the same 0.84g but the Base TL has crisper handling and ran the slalom faster.

3. Ride--IS wins. Very smooth and absorb bumps very well. Could be that the IS is newer, has less mileage, and better tires. IS also feels quieter. Another one for the IS. - what's better going 500mph in airliner or 500mph in a car. Who wants a boring driver.. that's why many do Stage 2 - 3 exhaust mods.

4. Space--if you need back seats, the TL wins. But if you're like me (single no kids), the front is just slightly smaller than the TL. Also, if you're over 5'10", I think the IS might be cramp for you. I'm 5'8" and I had to lower the seat all the way to the bottom just to get 2-3 inches clearance between my head and the roof. So for me, the IS is fine in terms of space. - Average Height in U.S. is 5' 10". Average Height in Japan is 5' 6". I like the IS but every time I'm in one with passengers I hear THE VAPORS - "I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so.."

5. Rattles--none in the IS, even with stereo crank all the way up. I have lots of rattle in my TL. One near the driver window, one in moon roof, one in passenger seat, and a lot in the trunk area when I turn up the stereo. Again, could be the the IS is newer. Yet another for the IS. - Dynamat

6. Stereo--IS hands down. Great sound with no rattles. - IS350 300W 14 speakers 7.1 vs. 3G TL 225W 8 speakers 5.1
or.. 4G TL 440W 10 speaker Tech Pkg..

The 3G TL was the first with 5.1 Audio.. There was no competition.. then Lexus wanted to compete by shoving 14 speakers! to make a 7.1 system at only 300W.. If you're going to compare audio it should be 4G TL and IS350 otherwise compare the IS300 audio to the 3G TL.

7. Luxury--IS seats feels better and the center console looks better. But the TL has better dash and the surfaces on the side door feels better. I give the IS a slight edge on this one. - Apple & Oranges.. and yeah the TL does have a better dash until it cracks.. lol.. and look at those tiny control knobs on the IS.. not for my Manish hands..

So even after all that driving with the IS winning most categories that are important to me, I still can't decide. Why? Because of the look.

Sometimes I feel like the IS looks too girly. Having a lot of females own the IS doesn't help either. I guess I can also put on a body kit to set it apart. TL looks more manly to me. If you're a girl, then you're lucky. So I still can't decide on this one. It's probably the hardest decision to make and I might not go for the IS350 just because of this.

Right now I'm thinking of maybe getting better tires for a smoother ride, less noise, and better handling. If that doesn't help, then go with A-spec suspension or 18 inch wheels for a slightly better handling. Although my goal is to keep a soft ride. I have a lowered Corvette Z06 so I don't have a need for rough ride.
^ comments above as edit

Last edited by Majofo; 12-31-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:08 PM

Don't get me wrong.. I like the IS but this thread is dumb just like the 1000 other threads like it..

A real comparison would be:

IS350 vs. 3G TL-type S
IS250 vs. TSX

3G TL is a stand alone. It's closest competition is the IS300. The 3G TL also has the best fuel economy in its class.

And if I had a Z06 lowered .. lol.. of course you'd prefer the IS. Those not so fortunate prefer our adrenalin in the form of a TL.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Majofo
Handling--the IS handles better and feels sportier. Keep in mind that I have OEM Bridgestone EL-42 tires with 30k mi and 17 inch rims. The IS has 18in wheels with better tires and only 8k mi. I pick the IS. - what? TL beats IS all day in handling. If we're doing a real comparo the TL-type S pulls a 0.91g the IS350 pulls a 0.87g. The Base TL and IS250 pull the same 0.84g but the Base TL has crisper handling and ran the slalom faster.
Both the TL-S and IS350 slalom at similar speeds despite the clear skidpad advantage for the TL-S. (see post #35)

..and the 3G TL's closest competitor from Lexus is the ES350, though a number of TLphiles are in denial over this. But of course performancewise, the TL-S is closer to the IS350 (although the ES350 is no slouch in a straightline).
Old 12-31-2008, 10:03 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Don't get me wrong.. I like the IS but this thread is dumb just like the 1000 other threads like it..

A real comparison would be:

IS350 vs. 3G TL-type S
IS250 vs. TSX

3G TL is a stand alone. It's closest competition is the IS300. The 3G TL also has the best fuel economy in its class.

And if I had a Z06 lowered .. lol.. of course you'd prefer the IS. Those not so fortunate prefer our adrenalin in the form of a TL.
He is right.
There is no comparison between TL and IS.
TL goes for GS
and
IS goes for TSX.

So TL it's in GS category all the way!!

Old 12-31-2008, 10:08 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The IS interior looks like a camry interoir and ugly. And i hope u guys know that the new G37 Sedan with the 7A/T is faster and lighter then the G37 Coupe M/T.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MuGen7Modulo
He is right.
There is no comparison between TL and IS.
TL goes for GS
and
IS goes for TSX.

So TL it's in GS category all the way!!

The picture above is of the 4G TL not the 3G....the latter of which is this forum's (not to mention subject matter's) orientation.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Advanced

We actually have both cars, a 07 IS350 and a 08 TL-S (Auto). Some of my observations -

Engine: The IS350 motor is simply one of the best, it almost sounds like an electric motor because it so smooth. And judging completley by my butt-dyno, it packs much more punch than the TL. Having said that, the TL/TL-S have plenty of power and I still love the growl of the 3.5 Honda motor.

Interior: I'll give the Acura NAV and Bluetooth the nod, by a slight margin. As for the interior, the IS has Zero rattles (48k miles), the same can't be said of the TL (9k miles) The Sound Systems are about equal, but I'm no audiophile. The IS is a MUCH smaller car than the TL, and whenever we take longer trips, the TL gets the nod. It's just a more comfortable car for long cruises.

Handling: I'm a big RWD fan, so, I'll give the IS the nod in this respect. Having said that, the IS is useless with even the slightest amount of snow without snow tires.

Ride: Even though our IS is the Lux model, not the sport, the ride is still a bit more choppy than the TL-S. Again, the TL is a better touring car.

Girly? Well, my wife prefers the IS, whatever that means. She just likes the smaller car because it's easier to park.

Conclusions: You can't go wrong with either car. The IS is small, it feels more cramped than the 09 TSX loaner we had for a couple of days. Fit and finish though I'd give the nod to the Lexus.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:26 AM
2008 tl-s sleeping in

I compared the favorable models with all of the same features as the TL-S. And for some reason quality to me can not be considered an issue to me, when talking about an acura vs. lexus granted that I am 17 years old.

Price wise[sticker price]: acura tl-s- 38k (BASE PRICE BTW)
lexus is350- 43k

Space wise:
IS 350 TL-S
Front Headroom 37.2 in. 38.7 in.
Rear Headroom 36.7 in. 37.2 in.
Front Shoulder Room 54.4 in. 58.3 in.
Rear Shoulder Room 52.7 in. 55.7 in.
Front Hip Room 54.1 in. 55.6 in.
Rear Hip Room 53.7 in. 53.8 in.
Front Leg Room 43.9 in. 42.8 in.
Rear Leg Room 30.6 in. 34.9 in.
Luggage Capacity 13 cu. ft. 12.5 cu. ft.
Maximum Seating 5 5

Comparing these two front leg room, and luggage capacity is the only thing the TL-S is lacking in other than that the TL-S is definitely more spacious.

Power wise:- Acura TL-S -3.5 liter engine
- 286 HP
- 256 FT-TQ
Lexus IS350 -3.5 liter engine
-306 HP
-277 FT-TQ
So the TL-S is slower but in its defense the Lexus is a bit heavier.

Gas Mileage: - Acura TL-S- 17 mpg CITY
- 26 mpg HIGHWAY
Lexus IS350- 18 mpg CITY
-25 mpg on the HIGHWAY

So in comparison the TL is is better on the highway, and the IS350 is better in the city.Depending upon your driving that will vary.

I think i have a enough information to make a a reasonable decision, now its all up to you. btw TL-S FTMFW!
Old 01-01-2009, 12:23 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
The picture above is of the 4G TL not the 3G....the latter of which is this forum's (not to mention subject matter's) orientation.
I'm sure you got my point.
TL vs. GS or ES
and
IS vs. TSX
Old 01-01-2009, 01:03 PM

Both the TL-S and IS350 slalom at similar speeds despite the clear skidpad advantage for the TL-S. (see post #35)

..and the 3G TL's closest competitor from Lexus is the ES350, though a number of TLphiles are in denial over this. But of course performancewise, the TL-S is closer to the IS350 (although the ES350 is no slouch in a straightline).
I just checked out the specs on the ES350

From Car&Driver:

Lexus ES350
Curb Weight - 3580
HP - 272
TQ - 254
0-60 - 6.2 sec
Lat G - 0.75
6 A/T w/ ManuMatic

- not bad and with that 3.5L engine it has potential.

3G Acura TL
Curb Weight - 3483
HP - 270
TQ - 238
0-60 - 5.6 sec
Lat G - 0.89 (saw elsewhere was 0.84.. but the A-spec pulled 0.9)
5 A/T w/ SS

- I'd say that's a kill for 3G TL.. even if it is our class camparo..
Old 01-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Everyone has made some excellent points here. By the way, HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!!! So my question is this...what can Acura do to get into the same luxury class as Lexus and BMW? Is it improvements they can make to the car line? I'm not sure..what can they do to have that "prestige" moniker come to the brand?
Old 01-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MuGen7Modulo
I'm sure you got my point.
TL vs. GS or ES
and
IS vs. TSX

that the 4G TL's SH-AWD model is a good competitor to the Lexus GS350 AWD, although the price point for the Lexus is considerably more than that of the TL.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Everyone has made some excellent points here. By the way, HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!!! So my question is this...what can Acura do to get into the same luxury class as Lexus and BMW? Is it improvements they can make to the car line? I'm not sure..what can they do to have that "prestige" moniker come to the brand?
Happy New Year to you as well!!

Hondaphiles will likely argue that Acura is already on par with Lexus and Infiniti. Most others will scoff at that thought.

IMHO, having a V8 powered flagship sedan would go a long way towards taking a step in the direction needed to be considered a "prestige" moniker. (Having Hyundai beat Acura to the punch does not help the cause here.)
Old 01-01-2009, 01:44 PM

Happy New Year to you as well!!

Hondaphiles will likely argue that Acura is already on par with Lexus and Infiniti. Most others will scoff at that thought.

IMHO, having a V8 powered flagship sedan would go a long way towards taking a step in the direction needed to be considered a "prestige" moniker. (Having Hyundai beat Acura to the punch does not help the cause here.)
My family lives in Korea and Hyundai is luxury there. The cars seem like twice the price here when comparing their high end models.

I think we've become jaded if we think Acura is not Luxury. We just spend so much wrench time on them to fix the little / big problems that the luxury goes out the door.

Happy New Year to you all too!.. Cheers to a new year with no tranny problems.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Senior Moderator

I just checked out the specs on the ES350

From Car&Driver:

Lexus ES350
Curb Weight - 3580
HP - 272
TQ - 254
0-60 - 6.2 sec
Lat G - 0.75
6 A/T w/ ManuMatic

- not bad and with that 3.5L engine it has potential.

3G Acura TL
Curb Weight - 3483
HP - 270
TQ - 238
0-60 - 5.6 sec
Lat G - 0.89 (saw elsewhere was 0.84.. but the A-spec pulled 0.9)
5 A/T w/ SS

- I'd say that's a kill for 3G TL.. even if it is our class camparo..
#1: post a link to any quoted performance specs. (such as my R/T link in post# 35)

#2: an automatic base TL in stock form is NOT going to run a 5.6sec 0-60 time. My 07 AV6 5AT runs even with the 3G TL AT (non Type S) and it is NOT a mid-5 0-60mph car.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:26 PM

#1: post a link to any quoted performance specs. (such as my R/T link in post# 35)

#2: an automatic base TL in stock form is NOT going to run a 5.6sec 0-60 time. My 07 AV6 5AT runs even with the 3G TL AT (non Type S) and it is NOT a mid-5 0-60mph car.

Yeah you're right.. C&D was so slim on TL write-ups that when I found one I didn't see they tested a 6sp M/T.

ES350
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/luxury_sedans/2007_lexus_es350_short_take_road_test+page-2.html

3G TL
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ake_road_test/

This is for the A-spec edition but I took the curb weight from edmunds: http://www.edmunds.com/used/2006/acura/tl/100655175/specs.html

I goofed a little on the curb weight for the TL. It is 3483 for M/T and 3580 for A/T. That A/T is so HEAVY..

and the 3G TL Stock Lateral G they tested is mentioned on the first page about 3/4 down. I figure their 0-60 time is unaffected by the A-spec kit. Car and Driver is known for pushing cars to their limit. Edmunds gives the ES350 a 0-60 time of 6.8 secs.
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2007/lexus/es350/100705024/specs.html

Here's Car and Driver Comparison of 2004 models. Back then the TL was the king of speed.. Their only gripe: TL SHOULD BE A RWD (they say otherwise in snow)
2004 Comparison

Last edited by Majofo; 01-01-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rooster'sTL
Toyota navigation requires the car to be parked in order to input addresses....this sucks more than you can imagine.
This was actually one of the things that pushed me away from considering the Lexus when I bought my TL.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
what can Acura do to get into the same luxury class as Lexus and BMW? Is it improvements they can make to the car line?

I agree with having a V8. Unfortunately, it looks as if Acura my be discontinuing the RL soon so unless they stuff a V8 in the TL, little will change with the branding. Having a major presence overseas will help too. Honda's heritage has mainly been racing so I think that it why Acuras are mainly considered sport luxury cars, hence why the RL's aren't selling as much.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:52 AM
petite.

haha get a TL
lol is250 isnt even in the same league
ive had my tl for 3 years and i love this car
Old 01-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I drive an '05 TL and roommate drives an '06 IS250 AWD. The IS interior is made of higher quality materials like the leather and dash. The TL dash,simply put, is better looking in design and flow. The IS250 is super slow for a $35k car - 0-60 in 8 seconds RWD and 8.4 AWD. The engine, though potent (204hp) for being a 2.5 Liter is too small for a 3800lb car and is noisy when you're on it. The IS navigation is smaller but has a higher resolution screen. The IS250 suspension is very firm as well which makes it a great handler even in stock form. Also, HID's are not standard as mentioned. I'm not going to go into how big the back seat is either...

All things taken into consideration, I'd still take the TL over the IS250. Between an IS350 and 08' TL-S, I would take the IS350 though. If only the IS350 came in AWD.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:54 PM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The LExus IS does not have a back up camera, which is so much better than sensors. The IS does not have left/right blinkers on the side mirrors like the 07 08 TL's, the IS does not have LED tail lights, the center break light of the IS is not at the Top/roof of car like the TL which is a luxury feature IMO,

Yes the IS is faster than the TL and lighter, but who races???
Old 01-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TeknoKing
I originally went to Lexus dealership to look at IS 350... It is not spacious inside at all. The seating and the "cockpit" did feel good, but I was only wearing a t-shirt, this was summer. Imagine wearing a bulky jacket? I would of hated the ride in the winter. It is a great car, but everytime I see it now, I'm trying to figure out which girl is behind the wheel... Yep, it's a girl's car. IS-F or nothing at all

So TL-S was my next choice.
Same here....IS350 is a very nice car, very quick....and very small. If I could've fit into one it wiould've been on my short list. But dollar for dollar, my TL-S won.

Having said that, the IS-F makes me seriously consider lopping my legs off at the knees!....sweet ride!

Quick Reply: Acura TL vs. Lexus IS