Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura TL-first car advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 12:27 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TL-first car advice

Hey guys, i was wondering if it would be a good idea to get a 2005 acura TL 6 speed as a first car? I'm a 17 year old college student.
It has a full exhaust on it, cold air intake and some after market BBS looking rims. 143k miles on the dash, 30k on the motor and a new clutch.
some more questions:
1)How are maintenance costs?
2)How expensive are parts?
3)How is the reliability of this car?
4)How fast is it?
5)Is the insurance cost for this car above average compared to a regular econobox?
Old 10-05-2013, 01:13 AM
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Well theres a lot of DEPENDS with those questions you provided, for example car insurance all depends where you live. Its a honda so no question about reliability unless it wasnt maintained properly. The engine pumps out 270HP and parts arent all that cheap which comes with the territory of driving a luxury car. Its a good first car but to be honest at your age id go for something cheaper maybe an older honda accord or something along those lines first then make your way up to the TL, i only say this because when you are an inexperienced driver you are bound to comit mistakes and get into an accident sooner or later so its nice to have a car thats cheaper to repair just in case. By the way its always nicer to get something stock that hasnt been tampered (aftermarket parts) specially if it doesnt even have the original engine.

Last edited by Gil'sUA5; 10-05-2013 at 01:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TLtrigirl (10-05-2013)
Old 10-05-2013, 01:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
What happened to the first motor?
The following 2 users liked this post by DaeHanMeenGuk:
Acura_Dude (10-05-2013), EvilVirus (10-05-2013)
Old 10-05-2013, 03:07 AM
Make it so

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fatmike
Hey guys, i was wondering if it would be a good idea to get a 2005 acura TL 6 speed as a first car? I'm a 17 year old college student.
It has a full exhaust on it, cold air intake and some after market BBS looking rims. 143k miles on the dash, 30k on the motor and a new clutch.
some more questions:
4)How fast is it?
5)Is the insurance cost for this car above average compared to a regular econobox?
I got my TL when I was a junior in college, so I have some experience and shared perspective on this.

1 and 2) Maintenance costs....oooh, you will feel it. Hondas are pretty bulletproof, but even if it was maintained properly, you pay a premium for the Acura brand. Acuras can only be filled with premium gas, so that's something to consider. Keeping up with the regular maintenance, as with any car, will save you headaches and prevent crazy problems later, but when something does need to be replaced, you need to have some disposable income on hand to take care of it. I'm not sure what your budget situation looks like, but there were plenty of times when I had to take care of something and it wasn't easy on a college student budget.

On my 2004 TL, I've had to do the following: replace the timing belt (winters are rough here), O2 sensors, one of the catalytic converters, the Xenon lamp bulbs, headlight igniter assembly, interior cabin lights, CD unit, cruise control master switch and a door lock actuator. I haven't done many mods/extras to my car (brighter backup lamps, replaced the battery terminal connectors, added and AUX input, added a full-sized spare, updated the navi disc), and that's partly due to a lack of time to spend at nice extras like that.

It sounds like a scary list, but you just need to be aware of how you would manage taking care of those kinds of things. They aren't cheap, especially if you pay a dealer/shop to do the work for you. One more reason to check out this forum, and especially the 3G Garage- all the DIYs in there will save you TONS of money, and you feel better about knowing the ins and outs of your car.

Parts costs are not cheap in the least, but there are plenty of web sites that offer great deals, and even some vendors here on the forums that give sizable discounts for AcuraZine members. It is certainly more expensive than a regular Honda, again, because you're paying for the Acura name. And as a first-time car owner, you're bound to make lots of mistakes (that's not a slam on you- we've all done that, been there, it's just a part of life) and you need to keep in mind how expensive these mistakes could be, apart from what your regular parts and maintenance costs will be.

3) The car is very reliable- it's a Honda, so it's well-built and is very forgiving. Keep up on the maintenance and it will literally drive forever. I've roadtripped in my car across the country multiple times every year, gone through five 100+ degree summers and four winters with temperatures dropping to -35 and it's never failed me.

4) "Fast"...well, any car is "fast". 75 mph is 75 mph regardless of what car you're in. It's not a Porsche or a Ferrari, so if you're talking about maximum speed, then I'll tell you to not worry about it. It's still a 3,000 pound missile. It will go as fast as you want it to. Think of it as a tool that lets you get things done or get places, not as something used to impress people. The car is nice enough as it is, let it speak for itself. Using it as an attention magnet is a slippery slope.

5) Insurance rates are a mixed bag. It depends on where you live, your insurance carrier, your driving record (or lack thereof), what kind of car you drive, the kind of coverage you get on it, etc.

I've seen it happen where people that drive TLs younger tend to have higher insurance rates, especially while in college, since it's seen as more of a risk for the insurance company to take them on. Driving a more "normal" car (an "econobox", as you put it) is seen as less of a risk, because it's perceived to be more practical, they cost less for the insurance to fix it, and it's not as flashy. It's not as bad as it used to be, with more TLs on the market, but it's still something underwriters look at.

Regardless, I would shop around and get a bunch of quotes from different insurance carriers to find that sweet spot of great customer service and a low rate for you, regardless of what kind of car you end up going with.

Regarding the specific TL you mentioned, I would be wary of getting something with so many aftermarket modifications. Not that they're bad mods, but for your first car, you want something closer to a base model so you can troubleshoot a lot easier. It's much more difficult to figure out an issue or take care of it when it's been done by a previous owner and you weren't there when they did the work.

And the fact that it doesn't have the original engine...that's weird. That's something you'll definitely want to ask for a lot of information on.

Sorry for the long post, but I figure it's better to overshare instead of not say enough. I know when I was in your shoes, knowledge was power and it helped me make a good decision and not be as nervous about it.

Good luck!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by Gil'sUA5
Well theres a lot of DEPENDS with those questions you provided, for example car insurance all depends where you live. Its a honda so no question about reliability unless it wasnt maintained properly. The engine pumps out 258HP and parts arent all that cheap which comes with the territory of driving a luxury car. Its a good first car but to be honest at your age id go for something cheaper maybe an older honda accord or something along those lines first then make your way up to the TL, i only say this because when you are an inexperienced driver you are bound to comit mistakes and get into an accident sooner or later so its nice to have a car thats cheaper to repair just in case. By the way its always nicer to get something stock that hasnt been tampered (aftermarket parts) specially if it doesnt even have the original engine.
Fix it for you
Old 10-05-2013, 08:14 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
maintenance is reasonable.

repairs and parts get pricey vs your econobox.

it's a honda...take of the car and it'll take care of you.

fast...relative. too much power for someone with little driving experience? perhaps. depends if you decide to become boy racer or a responsible driver that enjoys the car without abusing the hell out of it. it will be inevitable that young drivers will crash their car in some capacity (minor/major). not to scare you, but all the stories i hear...

insurance...the insurance rate on my TL has not changed in the last 2 years. the insurance rate on my MDX is a few dollars less for the same coverage and it's 4 yrs newer. quite frankly, i think the more young drivers pick up TLs and eventually crashing them (it just seems that way), my rates will continue to stay pretty level despite my clean record and my demographic. the TL is a sports sedan. it will be rated as such. a civic or an accord or any other non-luxury brand will be less expensive to insure.

you're in college. just get something that is affordable (cheap to fix, easy to maintain, and cheap to insure without the worries of someone damaging your car). If i was in college...it would be nice to have a TL, but it's not worth the worry and hassle of caring for one when you have bigger things to deal with, like getting your degree. i personally wouldn't want such a nice car while in college.
The following 2 users liked this post by TLtrigirl:
Acura_Dude (10-05-2013), EvilVirus (10-05-2013)
Old 10-05-2013, 08:19 AM
The Boss

Received 321 Likes on 227 Posts
Got my TL in highschool, kinda sucks to have to take care of it, but gotta do what you gotta do to have a nice car.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Originally Posted by fatmike
4)How fast is it?
To be simple and answer the questions...

1) Fairly cheap, parts are through Honda and we have many vendors here who sell OEM parts at a discounted price.

2) See answer 1

3) Very reliable. I bought my car at 88k miles, currently about to hit 100k, (had the car for a year and a half now) I've changed the oil once, had my motor mounts, axles, and compliance bushings repalced all under warranty. (Axles because I've lowered the car).

4) You don't need to worry about that for a first car. It's not the fastest sedan on the planet but it's plenty quick to get you in trouble.

5) I can say our insurance skyrocketed but I went from a 97 S10 to this get a quote before you buy it.

If all else fails, look into a TSX. They are just as reliable, a little smaller, better on gas because it's a 4 cylinder and probably cheaper on insurance.

Good luck!
Old 10-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Your a 17yr old college student. I honestly have never heard of a 17year old student in college.

Sorry that caught my attention more then your questions, there is a plethora of information here so be sure to search for certain parts or rattles or noises through google search it speeds up the process.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:31 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by MandoTL
Your a 17yr old college student. I honestly have never heard of a 17year old student in college.

Sorry that caught my attention more then your questions, there is a plethora of information here so be sure to search for certain parts or rattles or noises through google search it speeds up the process.
I have. There are many students that start their first year of college at 17, especially if their birthday is in the Fall of the year.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
I have. There are many students that start their first year of college at 17, especially if their birthday is in the Fall of the year.
Never knew that. I have friends who have birthdays in the Fall and they were 18 or 19 entering into college.

I guess it depends on the time parents start their kids in pre-K to 12th grade.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:01 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Maintenance isn't worse than any other car, IMO. I took my TL to the Honda dealer for service. Its essentially an Accord V6. If you think Acura maintenance is expensive, then really, avoid any German luxury brands. Also, Acuras are bulletproof. My TL only had one or two minor unscheduled maintenance issues after 130K.

And yeah, the car is "fast".
Old 10-06-2013, 08:33 AM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
If the motor had to be replaced at 113,000 miles, I'd be very wary of the car without getting a good explanation. Your insurance will be a lot more than if you bought an Accord or Civic.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:18 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by MandoTL
Never knew that. I have friends who have birthdays in the Fall and they were 18 or 19 entering into college.

I guess it depends on the time parents start their kids in pre-K to 12th grade.
parents like to "red shirt" their kids. so they enter the school system at 6 when they are in kindergarten and when they play sports...they happen to be al ittle bit bigger than their "younger" counter parts. it's sad but true. you get some kids who are really bright that go into school at 4 turning 5. all depends on the school system and when the cut off is. the norm is 18 usually when entering college if going straight from HS.