Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "Acura-TL.com Effect"

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 04:11 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
The "Acura-TL.com Effect"

Something I've noticed is that my dealer responds to my issues a lot differently than other dealers with other cars (Audi, VW, etc.) that I've owned.

The only thing I can think of at this point is the "Acura-TL.com Effect." That is, they're concerned that if we have big (or recurring) problems, we have the world's largest soapbox to stand on and broadcast.

Every issue that I've had has been fixed (by Ed Voyles Acura in Atlanta, fwiw), and fixed quickly. The dealer has worked with ACS (who has been below average) and the regional rep to get things done to my satisfaction.

I guess if I was buying a new TL right now I'd also have extra bargaining power, but I didn't have that flexibility at the time.

In any case, thanks to everyone here.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
My dealer is definitely aware of the site. We do have some power as this community represents a microcosm of the TL community as a whole. As proof, 233 people are perusing the 3G forum right now. When I joined the board 2 1/2 years ago, that many people were perusing the whole site.

An example of the power of groups like ours: One of our members who nearly had an accident due to the tranny in the 2G TL was mentioned in the news and this has led to the potential of a class action lawsuit against Acura. Without this site the individual owner is indeed powerless.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:43 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lindros2
Something I've noticed is that my dealer responds to my issues a lot differently than other dealers with other cars (Audi, VW, etc.) that I've owned.

The only thing I can think of at this point is the "Acura-TL.com Effect." That is, they're concerned that if we have big (or recurring) problems, we have the world's largest soapbox to stand on and broadcast.

Every issue that I've had has been fixed (by Ed Voyles Acura in Atlanta, fwiw), and fixed quickly. The dealer has worked with ACS (who has been below average) and the regional rep to get things done to my satisfaction.

I guess if I was buying a new TL right now I'd also have extra bargaining power, but I didn't have that flexibility at the time.

In any case, thanks to everyone here.
Pretty much every other car has an owner's forum. Not to mention, vwvortex (for Audi's and VW's) is a much bigger site than this one - the 10th largest forum on the Internet according to big-boards.com
Old 07-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
lindros2 & neuronbob, I second this.

I still remembered what my dealer told me in my first visit of searching MIL (check engine light) solutions in Nov. 2003. "Internet only tells you RUMORS but truth". Well, he knew he's wrong in the following week, such a loser. Without joining this site, I won't get my issues fixed or won't know how to properly "tune" my car.

Thanks everyone here.

Also, Chris3G, maybe you're right, we ain't biggest now, however, we will be soon.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:07 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Even with Jason Teller's A4.org (which became Audiworld.com), my Audi dealers were only receptive to people who were interested in buying new cars. "Coin operated," if you will. With Acura-TL.com, they're genuinely interested in helping (or scared of the consequences...).
Old 07-29-2004, 08:02 PM
Advanced

Car forums rock.

It's a great place to discuss common issues and find solutions and share information.
The information is often better than what the cars salesmen and service advisors offer.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:49 PM
Semper Fi

lindros2 this is a little off topic but do you actually have an American Express exclusive "black" card.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:36 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 642 Likes on 284 Posts
what is an amex black card?
Old 07-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by Astroboy
I believe it has an insane credit limit, something like $500K. I obviously do not qualify...
Old 07-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
I believe it has an insane credit limit, something like $500K. I obviously do not qualify...
Close try a Million or over ---- I have met only two business associates that hold that card. Oh well Ill just survive off my Amex Platinum and my Diners Club International.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I've never met anyone holding that card, so I obviously don't hang in the right social circles.

Back on topic, you're absolutely right, sitandmeditate.....That's why I'm here.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:14 AM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
A little more about the American Express Black Card, It's official name is the Centurion Card.

It’s an invitation only card, which means, “don’t ask us, we’ll ask you” to hold one of these rare birds.

From my understanding, all American Express cards are limit-less, but I could be wrong, one thing that I’m right about is it cost a cool $2,500 per year to have one of beauties at your disposal.

Mike Smeezy
Old 07-30-2004, 12:35 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

they are no longer giving them out anymore. jessica simpson was the last one to get one. its a hot ass card. you can call AMEX anytime of the day or night for an item and within the hour it will in your hand (reasonable requests, you cant ask for an mango from brazil) . its CRAZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Old 07-30-2004, 12:38 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Vffr1
A little more about the American Express Black Card, It's official name is the Centurion Card.

It’s an invitation only card, which means, “don’t ask us, we’ll ask you” to hold one of these rare birds.

From my understanding, all American Express cards are limit-less, but I could be wrong, one thing that I’m right about is it cost a cool $2,500 per year to have one of beauties at your disposal.

Mike Smeezy

Well, this thread has been hijacked to this centuria thermoplastic...

This seems obvious most of ppl don't check AE webiste for the answers... Thanks Vffr1.

AE said:

"The American Express Centurion® Card is renowned as the most prestigious, exclusive and respected Card in the world.

The Centurion Card is not for everyone. Cardmembership is reserved for existing American Express Cardmembers who have shown the highest level of commitment.Access to the Centurion "Club" is for a chosen few and is by invitation only.

Distinct. Superior. The Ultimate. The Centurion Card.

It's 100% worth a special treatment to those top 1% of customers...

tpatel, you got some interesting input...
Old 07-30-2004, 12:41 AM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Speaking of The A-TL.com Effect, have the owners given any thoughts to something like Custom Tl or CL plate Frames mentioning the site?

Like one of those nice OEM Chrome Plates with the Black "Acura TL" writing on either the top or bottom, and then the same writing but www.Acura-TL.com (or CL) on the opposite side.
Even if it was like $30, i'd prolly buy one just to show my support of the site.

I was also thinking of some kind of official flyer (6 per page or so) that members could drop on other TLs (wiper blade, drivers window). Might be considered tacky by some, but raises the awareness of the Soccer Moms and New Found Corporate Execs who are buying the TL instead of a 3 series.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:08 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
The one Amex gives their best customers who charge over $100,000 a year.