Sponsored by:

Acura Roadside Assistance versus AAA

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 08:38 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Acura Roadside Assistance versus AAA

My AAA membership is up for renewal. I've used Acrua Roadside assistance twice in the almost 2 years I've had my TL with satisfactory results, for 1 lockout and 1 flat tire. Don't need AAA's triptiks thanks to the NAVI and I have a gov't ID for discounts in hotels. So, I'm debating whether renewing AAA for $45 for another year is really worth it.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It certainly sounds like you don't need it. Save yourself the 45 bucks.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:44 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
You dont need it... save the $45 and spend it in mods for your car... That will buy a Comptech Short Shifter.... besides we all know that DGP has the highest reliability, horsepower and torque..., will always get you where you need to go and never let you down...
Old 04-26-2006, 10:08 AM
Racer

Reading this reminded me abotu something a friend of mine was talking about where he said that if I ever got a flat tire, I would be stupid to call Acura for help with it knowing I could do it myself. Hopefully the time doesnt come but I think I'd feel stupid waiting around for another guy to do something I could have easily done.

Being locked out however is a different story...
Old 04-26-2006, 10:09 AM
Racer

Also, you list 2005/2006 front seats. Whats the difference between them and the 2004s?
Old 04-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverStoneTTL
Also, you list 2005/2006 front seats. Whats the difference between them and the 2004s?
They have an extra stitch line across to try to get rid of the butt print problem.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:16 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Firmer padding and extra stitching to prevent the butt prints.

Also, 2005 & 6 owners don't seem to be complaining about 'melting' spots.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DMZ
My AAA membership is up for renewal. I've used Acrua Roadside assistance twice in the almost 2 years I've had my TL with satisfactory results, for 1 lockout and 1 flat tire. Don't need AAA's triptiks thanks to the NAVI and I have a gov't ID for discounts in hotels. So, I'm debating whether renewing AAA for $45 for another year is really worth it.

Any thoughts?
the only thing I didnt see mentioned is the fact that if you are a AAA member, they will cover a vehicle you are a passenger in. nice to have if you go anywhere with friends...especially ones with old cars. I have been in this position twice that I can remember and is the only reason I keep it.

funny thing is, I have never needed it for my own vehicles. <knocks on wood>
Old 04-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Reading this reminded me abotu something a friend of mine was talking about where he said that if I ever got a flat tire, I would be stupid to call Acura for help with it knowing I could do it myself. Hopefully the time doesnt come but I think I'd feel stupid waiting around for another guy to do something I could have easily done.

Being locked out however is a different story...
Old 04-26-2006, 12:44 PM
Intermediate

Dont Give Up AAA

Originally Posted by DMZ

Any thoughts?
Aside from the fact that AAA covers you in any car, don't forget the discount. At the movies, at the hotel, rental car desk I'm amazed at how many people take the discount.

I always ask for the AAA rate, it pays for itself every year.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:05 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Doesn't your AAA card also work as a bond card if you get a ticket? In Illinois if you have AAA you can give the card to the cop when you get a speeding ticket instead of surrendering your license and using the ticket as your temporary license. Not having a AAA personally I got the ticket last time I got one..hehe...
Old 04-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
Don't forget the AAA discount for Auto and Home Insurance that they offer to member if you get your insurance with them. They have very good rates.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:25 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I locked my keys inside my previous Acura and called Acura's Roadside, this was at 6am, at noon I called again and they said in a few minutes that turned into 2PM, then I called AAA and at 3PM my car was unlocked by AAA.
As I was ready to leave at 5pm I see a tow truck pull into the parking lot and the driver looked for my RSX-S and rolled the window down and said....." was you the one that called because of having your keys inside?..."...I said no...and left...I was already inside the car.... , so AAA is good to have and if you have kids it's a good way to get cheaper movie tickets...$$$$ among other things...
Old 04-27-2006, 01:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Be prepared, I'm about to rant

So I've been with AAA for more than 3 years. Good clean record. One evening in December I get involved with an uninsured motorist while attempting to make a left turn. I was in front, other party in back. I'm not going to discuss the details cause it will only get me

Long story short, I lost the small claims trial. I blame myself for shooting myself in the foot... but what did AAA do for me the whole time? Nothing!
  • I initiated phone calls to find out guy gave false info to the cops.
  • Last car got totaled. Received a check for way under KBB.
  • Preparing for small claims, no guidance, no tips, no help.
  • Received judgment in the mail. Faxed promptly on Monday and requested a reply that the fax was received. Nothing. Tuesday night emailed them and asked if they received my fax. Here is the exact response: "Recvd all. Clmt was paid. Settlement complete".

My rating on AAA service.

Rather fighting around with this. I've decided to just move on with my life. Try to forget the nightmare and enjoy the new ride. The good news, I've saved a bunch of money by switching to Geico. j/k I did switch to another carrier.

I also just received a nice check in the mail for the unused portion of my premium. Maybe it will go towards the A-Spec kit

So never again will I go with AAA. They can . Just my
Old 04-27-2006, 02:23 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I've always had a good record with AAA. Since I drive another car aside from my Acura I like having them as an option. Also I dont mind the discounts which seem to be everywhere.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:57 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
AAA SUX donkey balls I needed them to send a tow truck to my house for a ninja 250 that got messed up a little it took me calling 6 times (wife made the intial call) and about 5 hours to get a tow truck to take a bike about 3 miles down the street.

Had to call Acura roadside assistance for the tl to get towed after a accident i had they said the tow truck would be there in 30 min not only did it show up about 30 min later Acura roadside assistance called me about 40 min after i called to make sure the tow truck had came! That is what i call service
Old 04-27-2006, 04:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Been a AAA member for 16 years and have had to use them every couple of years or so. When they say a tow truck will come within an hour, I've never been let down. Then again, I've only had to use it here in the Cleveland area, never on one of my frequent roadtrips (knock on wood).
Old 04-27-2006, 08:53 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DMZ

Any thoughts?
Might just be a habit but I've been a AAA member for almost 35 years (yeah, I'm that old! I've also got a BMW with roadside service but I've never used either car companies service, just call AAA. I must admit it's been a long time since I've used roadside assistance but when I've needed it have been glad to have it.

Yesterday i walked into the AAA office to prepare for a trip to Quebec and left with what I consider a gold mine worth of maps and tour books.

AAA has also bailed my wife out of jams when I've been out of town, that in it self is priceless to me.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:14 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by xo1rider
AAA has also bailed my wife out of jams when I've been out of town, that in it self is priceless to me.
Bailed out what kinds of jams?
Old 04-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DMZ
Bailed out what kinds of jams?
Well, I worked for an airline for about 20 years and was gone 4 or 5 days a week. Over the years she had flat tires, lock out etc. It was good knowing she could just phone AAA regardless of the model car and get going again.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:47 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Another vote for 3A. One thing is you can't get their insurance unless you are a member. In my 30 odd years with them we have had all sorts of calls for service and insurance claims with very few disappointments in all of that time.

Service has been used for our cars and others, not all Acuras. $45.00/yr for peace of mind, service when required and to get the insurance looks like a great deal for me. Acura Roadside is a nice to have backup that I hope to never use. It did not figure in my decision to purchase the car. I almost never want to charge a tire or jump start a battery anymore and can afford to wait.

It is usually possible to save a few dollars upfront only to pay big time in the end. Amazing, I laughed at my grandfather when in my early 20's for his 3A membership. Now I understand and have become him. My
Old 04-28-2006, 08:21 AM
Advanced

I was just curious how you guys are getting AAA for $45 a year. I just downgraded a plus membership to basic when I got the TL. The rates are $59 for 1 person and $91 for 2 people