3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident report - by the dealership... dohhhhh!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 05:38 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Accident report - by the dealership... dohhhhh!

So, i took my car this past Saturday to get a noise checked out, which i assumed was coming from the struts - turned out it was. I'm still under factory warranty until 12/28/13 - so replacement was free

The parts were not in stock, so i had to wait until Monday night, to return my car to get worked on Tuesday.

Dealer calls me Tues. evening saying one side came in early and the other side had just been delivered and that they would work on it first thing Weds morning, meaning today.

While at work, i'm thinking to myself, they haven't called all afternoon. Right as I'm getting ready to leave, my cell rings, its my service rep.... "well, i don't know how to say this but i'm just going to flat out tell you...... you're car was in an accident"

Apparently, the tech's took it out for a test drive after installing new front struts and a person in front of them stops, puts their car into reverse and as they're beeping at him, goes straight into my car.

About to head out and check the damage, luckily not going against me/insurance but was told it was one headlamp, hood, front bumper to be replaced. I asked if they can fix my back bumper while they're at it, small license plate screw hole from parking in the city.

Just my luck.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:31 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
hey if you get your rear bumper fixed too, you will have come out ahead :P think of the upside!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:50 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
oohh I feel for you. That sucks.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:59 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Sorry about your car OP.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
Sorry to hear this.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:35 PM
SixSpeedDreamin'

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad news.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:54 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
sorry this happened. i'd be so pissed.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Sorry Revel-get some pictures.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:57 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
I bought my Ody from a sales guy, who the day before wanted to do his buyer a favor, and right when she was ready to sign the papers for her new car, the sales guy went to get gas in it ... sure enough he did something stupid and got side swept by a pickup, now that's a deal breaker! the lady had decided not to buy a new car for a while

sorry about your ride, factory paint sucks anyways, think positive
Old 07-31-2013, 09:39 PM
Advanced

well, here she is... not as bad as i thought it would be but, ughhhhh!

i'm kind of torn on what to think, a part of me says, it'll be fixed and my premium for insurance wont be affected. then a part of me thinks that i should be compensated - not that i planned on selling my car, but now my vehicle will have an accident reported on it and depreciation will take into factor more so.

its a 07 tl type s w/ 62k - i bought it in 2009 w/ 32k for $25,000 before tax, etc...

thoughts?

also, as mentioned, the small license plate hole in my back bumper is going to be fixed "out of inconvenience" for them being involved in the accident.

this is from a 99 Isuzu Rodeo. The guy stopped, put his truck into reverse (as the tech is beeping at him, he puts my car into reverse also, and rolled back) and the guy in the Rodeo still slammed the accelerator w/out looking back.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 07-31-2013 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 07-31-2013, 09:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Revel, let them fix your Type S.

I have a 2007 too-it has 74,000 miles on it. My car is not leaving me anytime soon. You still have a lot of good miles ahead on this Type S.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:03 PM
riding low and steady

Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Man i know all too well how that situation is going. First questions: Why would your rates go up? Is it going to be a claim under your insurance? It should be under the dealerships insurance, but since it was off the company property I can see where your insurance comes into play BUT if the other driver was deemed at fault it would be his insurance. Hopefully there were witnesses. Good luck OP.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Advanced

DonTL - it's not going against my insurance at all, it's under the dealership. I was simply saying that its on the bright side that I wasn't at fault so it won't affect my rates.

This really blows either way.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 233 Posts
What kind of mentally challenged asshole reverses without looking back?

Sorry to hear that OP
Old 08-01-2013, 08:24 AM
Dallas Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts
Dude that sucks, I would be so mad. I got sideswiped three months ago, I bought the car last Oct... guy changed lanes and didnt look, wiped out my entire drivers side. My car had never been in an accident and now the paint has been done on the hood and fender 3 times! Its chipping again! Get it fixed at the best body shop you can find, i work at the best dealer in dallas, but apparently our body shop sucks... As for the insurance, the dealership has incsurance that will cover it since its not your fault. My input, sell car and make the dealer buy you a new one with no wrecks!
Old 08-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Drifting

Received 598 Likes on 446 Posts
What is with everyone so worried about the car having accident damage? Yes it sucks that is happens, but cars can be fixed properly. It should only "really" matter to those that turn over cars every year or two. If you are going to keep it, then just make it is fixed properly by a shop that provides a proper warranty on their work. One of my last cars had been in two major accidents and you would have never known if I hadn't told you. The first accident was when the car was 8 months old and was rear ended. I kept that car for 9 years and there was not any issues at all with the repair work holding up properly.
The following 5 users liked this post by Jackass:
Acura_Dude (08-01-2013), EvilVirus (08-01-2013), Healingduck (08-28-2013), justnspace (08-01-2013), WheelMcCoy (08-04-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Scratches on the headlamp and bumper go from bottom up. Usually a sign of a car slowing and going under. Going in revers will raise other car's rear but by that much? Ask if they have a police report or insurance claim against another driver and I do not think they will be able to produce any? Ask dealership for other driver info and contact him to see if he has any plans to claim against your insurance.

Edit: I'd call my insurance and told them like it is.

Last edited by Acura-OC; 08-01-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Advanced

Acura-OC - the tech told me yesterday that the guy put his truck in reverse and floored it, even as the tech tried reversing to get out the way as well.

Jackass - Yeah, it can be fixed, no doubt about it, but I still owe about $9000 on my loan - reason why my car is still stock. Yes, I can keep the car, but just knowing that it won't be the same is what gets to me. I don't know of any reliable shops in Chicago. I was involved in one accident, where i was being chased by some dumb ass gang members, for no reason, and of course I was at full fault of hitting another car when they spun me out w/ my 1st car (99 Grand Prix GT) - maybe my sounds gave them the wrong idea. Since, its going through the dealer, I would assume that they handle everything the right way.

Story 05 - I'm saying.. From what was said, they were beeping at him and he thought someone was beeping at another person.

Police report and everything is suppose to be filed today. I'm suppose to get a call back from my service rep. He did say it was someone local, near the dealer, w/ insurance and that it was going to go through the dealer and other guy.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:36 AM
riding low and steady

Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by revel_one
DonTL - it's not going against my insurance at all, it's under the dealership. I was simply saying that its on the bright side that I wasn't at fault so it won't affect my rates.

This really blows either way.
Thats what i figured, there were other members and myself who had other situations similar to yours. Its on their dime so I wouldnt worry at all but id keep my nose in everything they do. Hell i'd ask them to see if they could paint match the front grill lol.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Advanced

free a-spec kit? rims? a-spec suspension??? would be nice
Old 08-01-2013, 12:26 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Old 08-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
First of all, sorry this happened to you

Secondly, don't get too optimistic because your insurance premium will go up slightly not because it will go against your insurance or it was your fault, but that fact that your car was in an accident and the ins comp may take away certain discount in the future.

Third, make sure they replace the damage parts instead of fixing it. based on the pictures, the damage was not that serious and the dealer may try to save money by just hammer, prime, buff and repaint the hood, fender or bumper. Make sure they replace with OEM and not after market (ask for part order receipt)

Last but not least, demand for diminished value . Let them know that the car is not the same after the accident and the value of the car will be less in case you sell the car. Try to be reasonable and work with the dealer.

Good Luck

Last edited by aIRpeACE; 08-01-2013 at 12:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
revel_one (08-01-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 151 Posts
Man that sucks
Correct me if I'm wrong people... I'm pretty sure this accident won't show up on a carfax type report if the dealer pays "out of pocket". That's what I would assume at least.
Good luck OP
Old 08-01-2013, 12:58 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
at all the mis-information in this thread....
at regular people being insurance pros.

where is comptechTL?
paperboy42190 (08-28-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by 96SC4
Man that sucks
Correct me if I'm wrong people... I'm pretty sure this accident won't show up on a carfax type report if the dealer pays "out of pocket". That's what I would assume at least.
Good luck OP
An accident will not go on the CARFAX unless there was a police report.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MBP_BALLER
police report was supposed to be made today - haven't received a call from the dealer yet and don't think they will.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
ask for a lifetime warranty on the entire car, even wear and tear items.

oh, and a big shipment of a-spec badges
that you can sell to people for lodesomoney
EvilVirus (08-01-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Dealerships, body shops, and insurance companies also report to CARFAX.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:32 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
^^not all body shops report to carfax.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
Last but not least, demand for diminished value . Let them know that the car is not the same after the accident and the value of the car will be less in case you sell the car. Try to be reasonable and work with the dealer...
This is an important point. Since the accident was in no way your fault, you should suffer no financial harm. Diminished Value certainly is a loss you've had.
revel_one (08-01-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RenoTL
This is an important point. Since the accident was in no way your fault, you should suffer no financial harm. Diminished Value certainly is a loss you've had.
Appreciate the feedback Reno and airpeace.

I'm going to continue to play "cool" until everything is taken care of, as they promised, and negotiate w/ them after everything is done.

The last thing I need is to be rude/disrespectful and end up w/ a quick turn around "fix" from their body shop. I'm in no rush since I'm going on vacation next week. But will def. try to negotiate some kind of deal.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:41 AM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
It pains me to see the pics. That's a nice colour too.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
Woah!! That is painful.. Hope all is good in the end for you!
Old 08-02-2013, 01:58 PM

Mine is actually going BACk to the body shop for the 5th time to get the entire front clip re-painted because its chipping off again and the paint is too thin... best shop in dallas cant even do a good job. This is why i HATE accidents, the car is never the same as before. I never got dininished valve but i should have. Guy side swiped me. Hood, lf fender, lf door all new and lr door and lr quarter had to be repaired. I paid cash to re-do the bumper and other fender so it would all be 100% perfect. Now its just one big mess... Hope you have better luck with your repair OP
Old 08-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Advanced

Mine is actually going BACk to the body shop for the 5th time to get the entire front clip re-painted because its chipping off again and the paint is too thin... best shop in dallas cant even do a good job. This is why i HATE accidents, the car is never the same as before. I never got dininished valve but i should have. Guy side swiped me. Hood, lf fender, lf door all new and lr door and lr quarter had to be repaired. I paid cash to re-do the bumper and other fender so it would all be 100% perfect. Now its just one big mess... Hope you have better luck with your repair OP
damn, sorry to hear.

I started browsing the local acura dealers around my area, there are 3 TL-S around me (2 silver w/ 51k & 58k miles and another which I think is carbon bronze - no pics since its a new listing w/ 61k). I called and inquired about the one w/ no pics, the sales man over the phone thinks its carbon bronze, might go peep it tomorrow since they're both owned by the same dealer (one city and one suburb location) - maybe we can work something out in the end when my repairs are done. Carfax on all 3 are clean.

The dealer hasn't mentioned anything about warranty on paint or any details. I did receive a copy of the police report today and was told they're in communication w/ the guy's insurance company, that hit my car.

Will continue to post updates as I hear more information.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Dude that sucks, I would be so mad. I got sideswiped three months ago, I bought the car last Oct... guy changed lanes and didnt look, wiped out my entire drivers side. My car had never been in an accident and now the paint has been done on the hood and fender 3 times! Its chipping again! Get it fixed at the best body shop you can find, i work at the best dealer in dallas, but apparently our body shop sucks... As for the insurance, the dealership has incsurance that will cover it since its not your fault. My input, sell car and make the dealer buy you a new one with no wrecks!
Originally Posted by revel_one
free a-spec kit? rims? a-spec suspension??? would be nice

"Make the dealer buy you a new car"?? Free aftermarket parts?? The sense of entitlement here is pretty high. Dealership owes you nothing more than to fix your car to pre-accident condition on their insurance and then their ins. co. can hash it out with the at-fault party's insurance company.

If you let a friend or family member borrow your car to run to the store and this happened, would you be expecting them to give you money above and beyond the repairs? The dealership was in no way at fault here. Accidents happen; it's life. You signed off on the car when you left it in their possession. I'd have a different outlook if the lot boy was drunk and took your car on a joy ride and wrecked it, but any reasonable person should be able to foresee the slight possibility of an accident when giving permission to someone to operate their car.
The following 3 users liked this post by anx1300c:
Healingduck (08-28-2013), justnspace (08-02-2013), paperboy42190 (08-28-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Was it a Taxi that hit it? America Taxi by chance?
Old 08-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by anx1300c
"Make the dealer buy you a new car"?? Free aftermarket parts?? The sense of entitlement here is pretty high. Dealership owes you nothing more than to fix your car to pre-accident condition on their insurance and then their ins. co. can hash it out with the at-fault party's insurance company.

If you let a friend or family member borrow your car to run to the store and this happened, would you be expecting them to give you money above and beyond the repairs? The dealership was in no way at fault here. Accidents happen; it's life. You signed off on the car when you left it in their possession. I'd have a different outlook if the lot boy was drunk and took your car on a joy ride and wrecked it, but any reasonable person should be able to foresee the slight possibility of an accident when giving permission to someone to operate their car.
Originally Posted by Majofo
Was it a Taxi that hit it? America Taxi by chance?
Majofo - no, it was not a taxi.

Anex1300C - sarcasm about the parts. but i'm sure if your car was subject to what i'm going through, would you not be upset? or would you say.... "it's ok, accident's happen"

the point is, yes, i signed off releasing the vehicle and yes accidents happen. as mentioned before, it's upsetting to drop off my vehicle accident free and get it back w/ a new bumper, hood, fender, headlight, grill - which doesn't sound bad - w/ all the horror stories about paint issues, etc. in reality, it will not be the same.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
I will ask dealer for some kind of discount service in the future since they fuck it up.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:13 AM
F-SPORT

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Ouch! Sorry OP!

Quick Reply: Accident report - by the dealership... dohhhhh!