3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident report - by the dealership... dohhhhh!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 01:15 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by revel_one
Majofo - no, it was not a taxi.
I'll let you in on the joke..

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888496
Old 08-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Drifting

Received 598 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by revel_one
Anex1300C - sarcasm about the parts. but i'm sure if your car was subject to what i'm going through, would you not be upset? or would you say.... "it's ok, accident's happen"

the point is, yes, i signed off releasing the vehicle and yes accidents happen. as mentioned before, it's upsetting to drop off my vehicle accident free and get it back w/ a new bumper, hood, fender, headlight, grill - which doesn't sound bad - w/ all the horror stories about paint issues, etc. in reality, it will not be the same.
Yes, accidents do happen. As long as the dealership takes care of getting it fixed properly and you have a car to drive, there is not much to really complain about. Accidents do happen...too often unfortunately. I have dealt with 2 cars in the past 10 years that have been in accidents and have been repaired back to the original condition. There are horror stories involved in some of the repairs....just don't accept the car back until it is perfect. State Farm and Allstate both really aren't fans of me since I demanded perfection and finally got it. I even had Allstate replace a sunroof nearly 2 years later since they give a lifetime warranty on all repairs. Both of my vehicles there were repaired were kept for many years after the repairs and there were no issues with the vehicles when they were sold.

The dealer doesn't owe you anything other than taking care of repairs. If you think anyone owes you anything more, go after the other driver and his insurance company....not the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
Acura-OC (08-04-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts
I've heard accidents don't go on carfax unless they are over like $4000...
Old 08-05-2013, 07:52 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Turbocoop
I've heard accidents don't go on carfax unless they are over like $4000...
Incorrect. Carfax gets info from all kinds of sources...pretty much anyone willing to sell it to them or anywhere public records are freely available. Not all police departments, dealers, body shops, or insurance companies provide information to Carfax. I had a "side swipe" accident show up on a previous car from a police report made about someone clipping my driver's side mirror. I never turned that into insurance. My current TL has Carfax information on oil changes performed by the previous owner in Florida.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
14 business days later, my vehicle is ready for pick up.

Will post pics soon and update on what is exactly going on.

As of now, all body work/paint is lifetime warranty, as long as i'm the owner (from the body shop)
Old 08-20-2013, 04:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sucks. Did you get a replacement front bumper and hood?

For a second there, I thought your title implies that the dealer reported an accident to CarFax or soemthing...
Old 08-20-2013, 04:41 PM
Advanced

From what I was told, they replaced bumper, fender, hood, headlight and are providing me a copy of the estimate, not the actual invoice, the body shop gave them.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by story05
What kind of mentally challenged asshole reverses without looking back?
The same kind that backed into me at an intersection.....while I was on my motorcycle. Sorry for your situation OP, it sucks for sure. At least you won't have to worry about rock chips and as somebody mentioned, shitty Acura paint.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:51 PM
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts
HAHA! looks like everybody gave there worth here.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Demand the following ASAP:

2. A written statement of what happened.
3. A check for the now depreciated value. Trading in your car in the future could yield anywhere from a 500-2K change! (varies by state)

It's a good thing that you got pictures of the damage! The problem is that once the dealership fixes the car a lot of stuff can arise like a crappy repair that won't be fixed. The headlamp and hood will probably be replaced, maybe the bumper too if the damage is a gouge vs a scrape. The other stuff will be refinished and repainted so a good chunk of your car is being repainted. It'd be wise to have the paint blended in with the passenger side fender too.

EDIT: Just read that they also replaced the fender too, make sure the paint doesn't vary too much compared to the passenger side fender. As well make sure they REPAINTED the WHOLE BUMPER and not only the portion that was damaged (spot repairs don't hold up well over time). As well open up the hood and make sure that there isn't any overspray or tape lines along the edges or sloppy edges. As well open up the driver door and look for overspray or sloppy edges. Also compare your fender to the driver side door and make sure the paint match is well. Bodyshops can blend the paint slightly to ensure that it'll match the existing paint.

Last edited by csmeance; 08-21-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by csmeance
3. A check for the now depreciated value. Trading in your car in the future could yield anywhere from a 500-2K change! (varies by state)
Good luck with that, but can't hurt to ask.

Originally Posted by csmeance
Just read that they also replaced the fender too, make sure the paint doesn't vary too much compared to the passenger side fender. As well make sure they REPAINTED the WHOLE BUMPER and not only the portion that was damaged (spot repairs don't hold up well over time). As well open up the hood and make sure that there isn't any overspray or tape lines along the edges or sloppy edges. As well open up the driver door and look for overspray or sloppy edges. Also compare your fender to the driver side door and make sure the paint match is well. Bodyshops can blend the paint slightly to ensure that it'll match the existing paint.
Do all of this ASAP. The last time I had to pick a car (not a TL) up from a body shop, I brought another car friend along to nit-pick over it. We found the front bumper was not aligned and we noticed there was dust/dirt in the clear coat. Body shop had to keep it another week to get all of that resolved.

It is fine to demand perfection. Just don't demand the impossible like a new car, a check for thousands of dollars, or some other madness. Make sure the car is back exactly how it was before and there are no obvious clues the car has ever been in an accident.
The following users liked this post:
TLtrigirl (08-21-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Advanced

I need to go back to dealer and speak w/ a manager regardless. i got my vehicle yesterday w/out signing any paperwork. After being told that everything would be replaced, the fender wasn't.

in the end, they replaced: headlight, bumber, grill and hood.

The fender was fixed, not replaced, and they did do me a favor and patched up the license plate holes i had on my back bumper and repainted it. Also, the lip under the bumber was touched up - came in nose first into a parking space and misjudged the curb height when i first got my car in 2009 (So I guess I can consider that a wash out?)

Is there a way to figure out, by looking on the actual parts (hood or bumper) if its a genuine Honda part and not aftermarket? I did notice that it isn't perfectly level w/ the fenders, well at least one said is a little under the fender groove.

A few things I've noticed that kind of worry me about the work done, as jackass said, I don't expect perfection, but a few noticeable things that I would like to speak to management about. I need another TL to look at to make sure that I'm not tripping and nit picking for anything to complain about.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Advanced

i also forgot to mention... my struts were replaced (under warranty) and they wrote off my oil change
Old 08-21-2013, 03:53 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
^^OP-it's your car. you have every right to nit pick the hell out of it. this is not how you gave them your car. it's good that they are getting the car repaired, but just make sure it's not half ass. the body shop that i have gone to a number of times knows that i'm VERY particular and they make EVERY effort to make sure they pay attention to even the little details of the paint, the fitment, everything. they won't even detail the car unless i approve it (when in most cases they detail the car automatically as part of prepping the car for return to owner).

you need to get the invoice for what was done. the list will show whether A/M versus OEM was used (hopefully they didn't BS this). tell the dealer you don't want the car back until the fitment and everything else is fixed (be nice and firm about this without sounding like a jerk).
Old 08-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Advanced

going back to the dealer tomorrow to drop off my car once again.. the service manager is back from vacation and apparently he is the only one who can make any calls on what can be done about my car's mishap.

The body shop or dealer detailed the car already, they didn't even wait or ask me about any of that.

I asked the service manager why my fender wasn't replaced to begin w/ and can tell he was giving me the run around on how they just "popped the dent out" since it wasn't "that severe" - to them, right... When i think of a dent being pushed/popped out, im thinking of a small dent pushed in, not something smashed in - idk, hopefully they don't just paint it and say, "yeah, we replaced it now".

the invoice given to me the first time it was returned showed, oem hood, bumper, headlight and grill.

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
^^OP-it's your car. you have every right to nit pick the hell out of it. this is not how you gave them your car. it's good that they are getting the car repaired, but just make sure it's not half ass. the body shop that i have gone to a number of times knows that i'm VERY particular and they make EVERY effort to make sure they pay attention to even the little details of the paint, the fitment, everything. they won't even detail the car unless i approve it (when in most cases they detail the car automatically as part of prepping the car for return to owner).

you need to get the invoice for what was done. the list will show whether A/M versus OEM was used (hopefully they didn't BS this). tell the dealer you don't want the car back until the fitment and everything else is fixed (be nice and firm about this without sounding like a jerk).

Last edited by revel_one; 08-28-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:17 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
i rather have my fender fixed than replaced especially if its not that bad. PDRs guys can be very good, better than a lot of ppl think. Reason I rather have original fender is for the VIN sticker on it, ALWAYS better to fix original parts than get new ones if possible
Old 08-28-2013, 03:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
i rather have my fender fixed than replaced especially if its not that bad. PDRs guys can be very good, better than a lot of ppl think. Reason I rather have original fender is for the VIN sticker on it, ALWAYS better to fix original parts than get new ones if possible
Thanks paperboy, spoke to a friend that mentioned this also, he's a salesman for Honda.

I just want the fitment to be right, as mentioned a few things were off. The lack to details is what's bugged me, especially having the car for about 3 weeks.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
also demand a life time warranty on the paint because after market paints normally dont hold up so well even they did a really good job on it.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:32 PM
Advanced

lifetime guarantee "as long as im the owner" - voids after i part w/ it

Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
also demand a life time warranty on the paint because after market paints normally dont hold up so well even they did a really good job on it.