Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

accident...need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 09:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
accident...need help

Ok, there were storms and power outages here. So at around 9:30 I was at an intersection without a light. Of course we treat those as a 4 way stop without power, so it was my right of way and I go through slowly. All of a sudden BOOM. I don't exactly remember what happened but from a witness, this other guy ran the light (or non light) and ran into me. I took pictures with a disposable camera which I will post tomorrow hopefully.

The side of my car is pushed in maybe a foot? The engine looks fine. All airbags went off. Rear bumper is pushed to one side.

Shit. Fuck. Damn.

Apparently when this guy ran into me, I ran into another car from being pushed... it seems they were ok. I have a few cuts, back hurts a little, you know usual stuff from an accident.

The tow truck driver said there is no doubt the car is totalled (I'm not so sure about that one). The cops said I was lucky that I was wearing a seatbelt (thank god my mom trained me from being young to put it on the minute I get in the car)

So, my question is, what exactly do I do now?

I have to take the LSATs tomorrow afternoon, so I will deal with this after that.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 06-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which side did he hit you from. And did all the safety systems seem to work. How did he miss the HIDs and Side markers. I am guessing you had your brights on because of no streetlights.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:03 PM
6MT & LSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first off, glad to hear that no one was hurt severely.

where were you hit? if the engine bay was fine, they may not total it... in which case, i hope you have a decent rental car coverage, because this shit might take a month to repair (multiple body damage, airbags/interior, slow ass bodyshops). i know a good body shop about 30 mins from you if it's not totaled.

well, get some rest and relax... and good luck on the LSAT.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Id hope its totalled. That doesnt look good for carfax. But hey, maybe they will get rid of all your rattles . Glad your all right, good luck. Get your back checked out too, its not worth developing something worse.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Good to hear you were not hurt.

You will need to make a police report, and of course notify your insurance company.

Where did they tow the car to? Wherever it was, the insurance adjuster will have to go see it to make his estimate and determination of what will be done.

Then you need to make arrangements to get another vehicle to drive, unless there is an extra car at home you can use. As ndx2 said, if you have rental coverage and need a car, use that coverage.

If they total it, then comes the job of looking for a new one.

Good luck with all this, and hope you remain in good health.

And I hope this doesn't screw up your mind for taking the LSAT's.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Glad your ok, post those pics up and we will be able to tell whether it should be totaled or not. Good luck with what ever happens
Old 06-05-2005, 10:21 PM
6MT & LSD

btw, who was found at fault??
Old 06-06-2005, 12:01 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Sorry about the accident, but glad you escaped serious injuries.

Here is what you should do.

1. At the scene of the accident, the cop should have given you or the other guy a ticket. Whoever received the ticket will almost certainly be at fault. But since you said you were pushed into another car, you are at fault of the damages caused to that 3rd vehicle.

2. Contact your insurance company with the police report number (number should have been provided to you at the scene). They will contact the police department for a copy of the report. If you didn't get one, then call the police and ask for it.

3. If your car has been towed to a direct repair shop of your insurance company, then the shop will write up the damage estimate. If it's not a direct repair shop, then they will send out an adjuster to write one up.

4. If it's totalled, then you will get a check for the current market value of your vehicle. This figure is kind of negotiable, so if you think it's unfairly low, then fight it. Now I don't know if you're familiar with the gap coverage, but it kicks in when the amount you received for the totalled vehicle is lower than the amount of loan you have to pay off. For example, if they gave you 20 grand for the car, but you owe 23 grand on the loan, then the gap coverage will pay off that 3 grand so you don't pay anything out of your pocket. But if you received 20 grand for the car, but you only owe 17 grand, then you keep that 3 grand. This is if you bought the car.

If you leased your car, then Acura's lease automatically comes with the gap coverage, and the insurance company will deal with Honda Lease Trust to pay off the remaining lease payments, and the residual value of the vehicle. You most likely won't even have to deal with any of this.

5. Now if it's not totalled, then obviously that means they will fix it. At this point, I hope you have an extra vehicle at home or rental coverage on your policy. It sounds like the car sustained extensive damages, and it will take a long time to fix it.

If you have broad collision coverage (and you are not at fault of the accident) then you don't have to pay a deductible. If you have basic collision coverage, then you will have to pay a deductible either way. You pay when you pick up your finished car.

If you want your car totalled, but they won't although it's very close to being totalled (dollar amount-wise) then you can talk to them. Chances are slim, but it's worth a shot. They take into consideration what is called diminished value, meaning a car involved in an accident will never be the same and it could have problems in the future; especially if it's a purpose vehicle such as a sports car. I don't know how extensively they will consider this since the TL is a family sedan (although sport-type) but it'll be worth a shot to have a talk with them if it's close to being totalled and you want it totalled.

Good luck.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:34 AM
Instructor

From someone who took the LSAT a while back, you were in a shitty situation. Sorry man. Being an attorney, the first thing I would do is contact one. They'll take care of everything for you so you can concentrate on other things. Make sure you get a reliable one in your area. They will need the police report to obtain the responsible party's info. The report should also have a determination of fault which is helpful. Also, see a doctor about your injuries. These "minor" injuries can linger.

There are pros and cons if your car is or isn't totalled. If it's not totalled, the insurance will only pay to repair it. You'll get damaged goods back to you. The car will never be the same with the severity of the accident. If it was totalled, you should get blue book value. So if the car was financed, you might not even have enough to pay off the loan. I don't know how new your car was and the mileage so don't know the blue book. You should check it out and compare it to the loan balance. This is why you'll need an attorney for a personal injury claim. You can use the settlement check for a down on a new TL.

The insurance will reimburse the property damage first. The check usually goes to the legal owner. If you're financing, the check goes to the bank. You won't see a penny unless blue book is higher than the balance.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by crazymjb
Which side did he hit you from. And did all the safety systems seem to work. How did he miss the HIDs and Side markers. I am guessing you had your brights on because of no streetlights.

Passenger side. All the airbags went off, except the front airbags, in the steering wheel. I thought about that last night, I didn't realize the steering wheel airbag didn't go off. I'm not sure why...?
Old 06-06-2005, 06:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ndx2
first off, glad to hear that no one was hurt severely.

where were you hit? if the engine bay was fine, they may not total it... in which case, i hope you have a decent rental car coverage, because this shit might take a month to repair (multiple body damage, airbags/interior, slow ass bodyshops). i know a good body shop about 30 mins from you if it's not totaled.

well, get some rest and relax... and good luck on the LSAT.

The engine bay was not hit, the hood was pushed open a little bit though, nothing major. I don't think they will total the car. It just doesn't seem like enough if the engine wasn't totalled.

Which body shop? I had my TSX repainted at fischer body and while they took their sweet old time, they did a damn good job. Of course, this was not any body work, just painting.

Old 06-06-2005, 06:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Ron A
Good to hear you were not hurt.

You will need to make a police report, and of course notify your insurance company.

Where did they tow the car to? Wherever it was, the insurance adjuster will have to go see it to make his estimate and determination of what will be done.

Then you need to make arrangements to get another vehicle to drive, unless there is an extra car at home you can use. As ndx2 said, if you have rental coverage and need a car, use that coverage.

If they total it, then comes the job of looking for a new one.

Good luck with all this, and hope you remain in good health.

And I hope this doesn't screw up your mind for taking the LSAT's.
I need to make another police report? Or just the one they gave me a report # for at the scene of the accident? We had rental coverage for $35 a day from AAA, but I am not enitrely concerned about this. We will take that and pay the difference for an SUV for my mom (she hates cars) and since I can't drive a rental (age) I will drive her car. This isn't really a big deal here, thank god.

If it is totalled, I may very well consider another TL, I felt very lucky to walk away with only a few cuts and bruises.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ndx2
btw, who was found at fault??

The driver of the pickup truck that ran into me. I had asked one of the officers when I was still there. She said it was him and if it had been me, they would have given me a ticket.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Sorry about the accident, but glad you escaped serious injuries.

Here is what you should do.

1. At the scene of the accident, the cop should have given you or the other guy a ticket. Whoever received the ticket will almost certainly be at fault. But since you said you were pushed into another car, you are at fault of the damages caused to that 3rd vehicle.

2. Contact your insurance company with the police report number (number should have been provided to you at the scene). They will contact the police department for a copy of the report. If you didn't get one, then call the police and ask for it.

3. If your car has been towed to a direct repair shop of your insurance company, then the shop will write up the damage estimate. If it's not a direct repair shop, then they will send out an adjuster to write one up.

4. If it's totalled, then you will get a check for the current market value of your vehicle. This figure is kind of negotiable, so if you think it's unfairly low, then fight it. Now I don't know if you're familiar with the gap coverage, but it kicks in when the amount you received for the totalled vehicle is lower than the amount of loan you have to pay off. For example, if they gave you 20 grand for the car, but you owe 23 grand on the loan, then the gap coverage will pay off that 3 grand so you don't pay anything out of your pocket. But if you received 20 grand for the car, but you only owe 17 grand, then you keep that 3 grand. This is if you bought the car.

If you leased your car, then Acura's lease automatically comes with the gap coverage, and the insurance company will deal with Honda Lease Trust to pay off the remaining lease payments, and the residual value of the vehicle. You most likely won't even have to deal with any of this.

5. Now if it's not totalled, then obviously that means they will fix it. At this point, I hope you have an extra vehicle at home or rental coverage on your policy. It sounds like the car sustained extensive damages, and it will take a long time to fix it.

If you have broad collision coverage (and you are not at fault of the accident) then you don't have to pay a deductible. If you have basic collision coverage, then you will have to pay a deductible either way. You pay when you pick up your finished car.

If you want your car totalled, but they won't although it's very close to being totalled (dollar amount-wise) then you can talk to them. Chances are slim, but it's worth a shot. They take into consideration what is called diminished value, meaning a car involved in an accident will never be the same and it could have problems in the future; especially if it's a purpose vehicle such as a sports car. I don't know how extensively they will consider this since the TL is a family sedan (although sport-type) but it'll be worth a shot to have a talk with them if it's close to being totalled and you want it totalled.

Good luck.
Thanks for the detailed information. I have the report number from the police, so I will call my insurance company today and file a claim. As far as being totalled or not, I know I will loose the money I have paid into the car so far (including the a-spec which I added after I bought the car), but I would rather lose it than have a car which has been so severely damaged and possibly fixed. I did buy GAP coverage from the dealer when I bought the car, thank god.

Does AAA pay out for diminished value? How would I go about asking them for this? I have read about this on acurazine before, (and never heard of it before) so I am curious.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:24 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Glad you're OK. Maybe you'll get lucky and get a new one !

Good luck ........
Old 06-06-2005, 07:37 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

like others said, glad you're alright. the police report and witnesses are your best friends.

the new acura's are very safe cars, as also evidenced by this collision, http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=270069 (not to hijack your thread)
Old 06-06-2005, 08:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for all the support everybody.

mg7726, yea, I saw that thread. Mine def. isn't nearly that bad. But, I will be honest... and as pansy as this may sound, I'm not so sure I can step foot into my car again, even if it is repaired. It scares the hell out of me. Pictures hopefully to come. I took them with a disposable camera with a flahs, so I'm not sure they came out because of it being so dark last night. If not, today or tomorrow I will get a digital cam and go to the place it was towed and take pics for you guys. I really do hope it is totalled...if it is not, I may have to trade it in. Yes, I survive with only a few cuts and bruises, but.... I can't explain it. How bad does that sound?
Old 06-06-2005, 08:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Oh. Does anybody know, when the airbags go off, does the power in the car shut off automatically? Mine did, and I was curious if it was a normal precaution or something else?
Old 06-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
That is not entirely correct. If his car hit the third car as a result of the 1st car hitting him, the 1st car is responsible for the damages to the third...
Old 06-06-2005, 09:10 AM
Burning Brakes

I am terribly sorry to hear about your accident. Hopefully the driver who is at fault will be honest and call his insurance to pay for all the damages. I would hate to see him/her twisting the story and hit the court to argue with you.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:30 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident and I'm glad you're ok. I agree with Epik. As long as the officers gave the driver that hit you a ticket he should pay for all damages incurred including the car you hit as a result.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Suzuka Master

I talked to my ins agent just now and he said the 1st driver is responsible for all the damages.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:41 AM
Suzuka Master

sorry pics arent the greatest

Old 06-06-2005, 09:49 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

There is no way they're fixing that car. Frame damage.

But wow it must have been a hell of a force. How much intrusion was there? Would someone in the passenger seat have been in bad shape?
Old 06-06-2005, 09:51 AM
Suzuka Master

if there was anybody in the passanger seat...they would be in terrible shape, im sure.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Racer

That car is TOTALED!
Old 06-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Racer

I am certainly not an insurance adjuster, but that car looks pretty totalled. The roofline is completely crushed, their is damage to part of the front, the entire side and all of the back. In addition, four of the six airbags are deployed. Totalled is generally a repair cost of about 75% or more of the cars value. If it is close, they will generally push it over the edge and total it.

It is really great to hear that you walked away from this with just a few scratches.

BTW...the front airbags are tied to sensors in the front bumper. They only go off on a frontal impact of about 12-15 mph. It looks like your front bumper wasn't hit which is why you didn't have your front air bags deploy.

What year is your car and how many miles do you have on it? This will definately effect whether it is totalled or not.

Is your car a purchase or lease?

Good Luck!
Old 06-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about the car Vik. She looks like she's pretty much done. Glad you are ok, hope you can get into a new TL or maybe something else of your choice, good luck.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:27 AM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

I am glad you didn't have a passenger. He/She wouldn't be as lucky as you.
Do you have the car in your posession? It is time to start selling the parts You can exchange rims on cheaper model and so on.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:33 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

there's no way they are fixing that. look at all the damage areas, shoot i don't think acura will even buy it back!

i'd look at getting another car.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:43 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
First off, glad you're alright. From how you described the accident, I wasn't expecting too much damage (especially since anyone with common sense wouldn't be barreling through an intersection with the lights out)...but that car is gone! They aren't fixing that one; it's headed to the scrap heap. The other driver must've been going 50...in the conditions you described, that's unbelievable! He should get an extra ticket for sheer stupidity.

Anyway, glad no one was hurt too severely (too bad you can't lay off for a few days)...speaking of which, good luck with the LSAT...and good luck with getting a new car.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Shift_faster

Looking at those pics, glad to hear you are ok. Good luck with the ensuing insurance claims.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:10 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
um yeah totalled ... no question ... that sucks. can i have your wheels?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:20 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Yo. The earlier posts (before pics), I was like - sucks - guy got his car banged up. I decide to look at thread again just now - WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF hit you a G.D. train?! WOW. A whole new meaning to the name T-Bone - maybe I should surrender my ID to you. You are one lucky sumbitch! I agree - totalled for sure - no question, I don't see too many undamaged parts! Like that scene in Day's of Thunder - "I don't want you spoiled Buck" Stomp on that hood just so it does not feel left out.

Hey for all you cupholder haters out there - you didn't see that water bottle flying around did ya?! Could have survived the accident only to be impaled by a flying water bottle - thank heavens for the great cupholders!!

Really sorry man - looks like you will be enjoying some new wheels soon - or taking the bus for sure. Consider yourself to have 8 lives left.

Glad you are still here to tell us about it. gotta go take another look at that.

Dammmmmmmmmmnnnn!!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TBone2004
Hey for all you cupholder haters out there - you didn't see that water bottle flying around did ya?! Could have survived the accident only to be impaled by a flying water bottle - thank heavens for the great cupholders!!
TBone2004, you beat me to it. I was going to say "On the bright side, he didn't spill his water..."

Dude, glad you're OK.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well see what the adjuster has to say.. it is hard to tell from pics how bad it is damage wise.. Good thing you are ok... But if it is like 18k worth of work, they might want to repair it...
Old 06-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Like everyone else, I lament your misfortune but praise the Lord you weren't hurt. As a TL is still worth in the neighborhood of 25-30k it will take at least that much damage before the insurance company will total it. It looks bad but it may not be THAT bad. If they decide to fix it I would sell or trade it as soon as you get it back. FWIW
Old 06-06-2005, 12:45 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Man, those pictures freaked me out! Getting hit by a pickup/SUV is one of the things I fear the most. I'm so glad you didn't have a passenger.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:57 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Guys, they are NOT going to fix this car. It does not have to exceed the value of the car for it to be totalled, it just has to be a certain percentage. As bad as that looks on the outside, the structural damage is beyond repair, I'm sure. It's totalled.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
Guys, they are NOT going to fix this car. It does not have to exceed the value of the car for it to be totalled, it just has to be a certain percentage. As bad as that looks on the outside, the structural damage is beyond repair, I'm sure. It's totalled.
I have two friends that work for insurance companies. Most major companies only require that it be about 75% of the value of the car to repair before they total it out. I completely agree that the structural damage looks pretty severe and is unlikely they will repair it.