Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accident Advice Needed

My beautiful 08 TL has been in an accident. There is some significant damage to the back end of the driver's side.

Insurance will pay so I want to make sure it's done right. Is there anything special I should ask for? Watch out for?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 06-21-2009, 08:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Not too much you can do except have it done at a reputable shop. Check the paint very closely for color match and body panel alignment when work completed.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:55 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
its your baby, be sure the shop uses OEM parts
Old 06-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Tell the shop that you won't sign it off if there is a color mismatch and also do a walk around with the shop manager to point out the lack of other damage so if they mess something up or curb a wheel they know they did it.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
make sure u get ur depreciated value check from the insurance
Old 06-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Drifting

Received 599 Likes on 447 Posts
Originally Posted by VQPower37
make sure u get ur depreciated value check from the insurance
Good luck on that one....I have never been able to get anything out of ins for that.

Like others have said, just make sure it is a good body shop. I usually do take it to one the insurance recommends due to it being so much easier to take it back with any issues that come up. I go over my car in detail before accepting the car back from the shop and make sure everything is exactly how it should be. This includes making sure the trunk closes exactly how it should, pulling up the trim panels to make sure there are no metal shavings, looking in the fender wells for overspray, feeling the paint to make sure there is no dirt, looking at every panel from all angles in the sunlight for color matching and alignment, checking gaps on the bumper, mufflers, and anything else.

As for OEM parts? Well that usually depends on the insurance company. A lot of them require the shops to use aftermarket or salvage if possible. Really depends if it is your own insurance company or the other person's you are dealing with. I know USAA will use salvage and/or aftermarket initially. If the customer complains about a specific part not fitting, they will replace with OEM. I have dealt with Allstate and State Farm in the past as well and both used aftermarket "internal" parts, but used OEM for bumper covers and such.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackass
Good luck on that one....I have never been able to get anything out of ins for that.

Like others have said, just make sure it is a good body shop. I usually do take it to one the insurance recommends due to it being so much easier to take it back with any issues that come up. I go over my car in detail before accepting the car back from the shop and make sure everything is exactly how it should be. This includes making sure the trunk closes exactly how it should, pulling up the trim panels to make sure there are no metal shavings, looking in the fender wells for overspray, feeling the paint to make sure there is no dirt, looking at every panel from all angles in the sunlight for color matching and alignment, checking gaps on the bumper, mufflers, and anything else.

As for OEM parts? Well that usually depends on the insurance company. A lot of them require the shops to use aftermarket or salvage if possible. Really depends if it is your own insurance company or the other person's you are dealing with. I know USAA will use salvage and/or aftermarket initially. If the customer complains about a specific part not fitting, they will replace with OEM. I have dealt with Allstate and State Farm in the past as well and both used aftermarket "internal" parts, but used OEM for bumper covers and such.
hmmm ... it was a pretty straight forward process for me, u have to make sure that whatever state you live in duznt have laws against it, and i think its also a plus if the accident is not ur fault ... other than that i dont c y it would be difficult for the OP to get this
Old 06-21-2009, 03:58 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Just pick a good and honest shop and thats 80% of the battle.