Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC blows warm

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy AC blows warm

Went for a drive today, everything was going well until the AC started blowing warm air. I shut the AC off and turned it back on, played with the controls but no cold air. I'll make an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. Have any of you had AC issues with your TL's? Mines an 04 with 15k miles.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear you are getting it fixed. Their are a myriad(I am really starting to like this word) of problems that this could be contributed to. First, your compressor could not be engageing, There is a clutch type thing whcih engages when the AC turns on which runs the compressor, there are also internal problems that can occur to the compressor. Most likely you have a leak somewhere in the system, a car this new, should not have lost enough freon to cause it to cease functioning in this much time(it is somewhat expected that over long perioeds of time the system will leak out, and new frion(in this case R-134A) will need to be added. If it is a leak the dealer should be able to easily locate and repair the problem. Last, the problem could be electronic, which would be a problem with the carrier signal from the computer to the compressor.

Edit: I just realized that if it is a leak, you should have noticed the air temperature change on a somewhat gradual scale, not one use to the next, although that is not always the case.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Could also be evaporator coil freeze up.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by crazymjb
Glad to hear you are getting it fixed. Their are a myriad(I am really starting to like this word) of problems that this could be contributed to. First, your compressor could not be engageing, There is a clutch type thing whcih engages when the AC turns on which runs the compressor, there are also internal problems that can occur to the compressor. Most likely you have a leak somewhere in the system, a car this new, should not have lost enough freon to cause it to cease functioning in this much time(it is somewhat expected that over long perioeds of time the system will leak out, and new frion(in this case R-134A) will need to be added. If it is a leak the dealer should be able to easily locate and repair the problem. Last, the problem could be electronic, which would be a problem with the carrier signal from the computer to the compressor.

Edit: I just realized that if it is a leak, you should have noticed the air temperature change on a somewhat gradual scale, not one use to the next, although that is not always the case.

When you go into the dealership and say there is something wrong with the AC regardless of what you know about them they do as they please and check the whole system out. I have had that experience and even if I diagnosed the problem quicker or better than the service tech, they did not give a hoot.

As long as it is under warranty, you can let them do whatever they want. However if it isn't that is a different ballgame.

I have heard that there has been a fair amount of AC compressor issues from the vendor. I have lost two in two years on two different cars. They both were about a year old.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:08 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this happen to me a month or two ago. The dealer found the leak at the refridgerant filling valve. The filling valve has a check valve inside but sometimes the check valve is stuck or not seated properly at the factory during filling. The refridgerant then slowly leaked out.
The dealer injected more refridgerant together with a dye (visible under UV) in case there is a leak in the system somewhere.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Took my TL to the dealer on tuesday and got it back today, seems that there was a leak coming from the front of the compressor.