Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A1 service fumble

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 08:47 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A1 service fumble

I took my car in for its 1st A1 service. I also scheduled all my complaints so they can knock them all out at once. Gave them 2.5weeks notice so I can have a Acura Loaner vehicle.

1. A1
2. ABS thumping in morning
3. "Butt prints" and cracking leather <----they are replacing the covers and padding them a little more.
4. Hard starting --lengthy crank time
5. Rattles in various locations
6. Vibrations in tires --- balancing should do it
7. Steering wheel is off center --- Free alignment I THINK
8. Front passenger kickplate is broken
9. On cold mornings, 2nd gear is VERY tough to get into without a little extra effort. NOT characteristic on Honda gearboxes.

NOW............If I am wrong PLEASE let me know!

I went through the service guy, Greg. I told him to call me if there was another charge OVER the A1 service cost. He said, "there wouldn't be." I have this recorded also :-D because after being in the car business, i know the deception that goes on.

Greg passed me on to the ENTERPRISE rent-a-car kiosk inside motorcars. This is where my blood pressure started to rise. After being ignored for 5 minutes while standing at his desk. He took my license and continued a personal phone call.
After stewing for 10 more minutes he came out and lead me out to the parking lot. I got a BAD feeling. I asked which one was my car. He said, "This CHEVY MALIBU." I laughed and said, "No." He said, "How bout this Lancer?" LOL

NOW, am i expecting too much? I have owned Infinti G35 cpe(G35 sedan loaner), BMW M3 (325,328,525, Z3 conv, and Z roadsters loaners), 2 GS-Rs (TL-2gen loaner)

What did you guys get as a loaner?

I own a $33000 car, and I will not drive a Lancer or Malibu for a loaner.

Thanks for listening to my rant :-)

miiipilot
Old 12-12-2004, 08:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well - a lot of Acura dealers don't give loaners at all. But, I know you would like to have had another Acura. When I had the Infiniti for 4 long months, they consistently gave me a BRAND NEW G35 coupe to drive. Perhaps because they didnt have loaners - or they felt bad for selling me a POS lemon.

Do they normally give acura loaners is the question? If they do, and you scheduled more than 2 weeks out, I would be upset by not getting an Acura. On the other hand, if they normally have enterprise do the loaners - then unfortunately thats what you get.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:17 PM
tkx
05.TL.WDP.DYN.NAVI

I used to work for Toyota, and they just implemented a new policy effective January 1, 2005.. NO MORE LOANER VEHICLES.

Loaners are all dependant on the dealership. Some may have them, others would not. If the company has some sort of demo system, then they probably would get you into a new vehicle of that company, or they could use some cars from the used car lot. If they do not have supply, that is when they ship over to a rental agency.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I guess the general perception is if you purchase a luxury vehicle that you expect a loan car...and possibly one of the same class. Due to the change in the economy since the late '90s, most dealers do not have the funds to cover such vehicles without raising service prices. I know that Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Infiniti, Lexus, Lincoln, MB, Porsche, SAAB and Volvo (to name a few) subsidize their dealers to provide loan vehicles. Acura does not. So, you are at the good grace of the dealer. My dealer has 25 loan cars. Most are Acura RSX's, with a few TSX's and TL's mixed in.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:12 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
I'm sorry, what was the service fumble that you mention in the subject line? I must have missed it. Maybe that part of your post got deleted by accident ?
Old 12-13-2004, 12:26 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Not luxury, premium or near luxury...

Sorry, but with the transaction price of the average vehicle these days running at a bit over $28k, $33 - $35k for the TL doesn't qualify it as a luxury car. Only the RL and NSX fit that mould for Acura.

There's nothing specific about what sort of loaner a dealer will provide, if any, so you pretty much have to take what you get. Some will provide a demonstrator, some a used vehicle off their lot, others go the rental car route. The alternative is the hassle of no loaner and rides in their courtesy vehicle to and from the dealership or worse.

In the end it's a matter of what they want to provide and they feel is most cost effective for them. Insurance for the dealer doesn't come cheap, which is why many go the rental route.

To expect luxury type services for a TL is to expect too much.

It's far easier for MB and BMW etc. dealers to do this because their line of cars reaches a far higher price point than Acura. They can charge off the costs of loaners and so forth against the sales of those models so the lower end buyer get's the trickle down of that service. Acura isn't quite in that same league.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:38 PM
Instructor

One of the reasons I chose the dealership where I bought my TL was because of their loaner car program. The other local dealer did not offer loaner cars. Both were equi-distance from my home and their price difference was only about $200. It was an easy decision.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:30 PM
Instructor

I understand

I have had 2 GS-Rs (00 and 95) and while both vehicles were in for service, i received Integra loaners. (Dealer was in Tampa)

But with my G35 cpe, they gave me a G35 sdn loaner vehicle for the entire day just for an oil change. I only paid 35500 for it. 2k more than my Acura.

Maybe I have been lucky or spoiled or both with certain dealerships.

Thanks guys. Just was wondering if this was normal for u guys
Old 12-13-2004, 05:06 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I recently took my 04 TL in for similar services and got a 05 TL loaner, unfortunately I'm still waiting for my complaints to be resolved, parts on order etc.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:21 PM
Awesome to the Max

anyone ever been to Acura of Pasadena for service? do they give loaners or do you know of anywhere in the So. Cal area that will give loaners?? thanks...
Old 12-13-2004, 08:26 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
most dealers normally give a TSX, unfortunately, i'm not 25 yet so they gave me a PT Cruiser :wtf:
Old 12-13-2004, 08:30 PM
Awesome to the Max

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
most dealers normally give a TSX, unfortunately, i'm not 25 yet so they gave me a PT Cruiser :wtf:

wtf...that sucks ass...you should sue them for ageism!
Old 12-13-2004, 08:37 PM
Team Secretary of Housing

loaner cars

Originally Posted by terse
anyone ever been to Acura of Pasadena for service? do they give loaners or do you know of anywhere in the So. Cal area that will give loaners?? thanks...
I have been very happy with the service I have received at South Bay Acura. Ask for Alfred in Service as your Advisor of choice. I did purchase my TL at the dealer as well. So I am not sure if that affects whether you get a loaner or not. If they have a loaner you get it, otherwise Enterprise rentals. As long as I schedule the service I have a loan car ready for me each and every time.
Bruce
Old 12-14-2004, 02:06 AM
Mile High

i got an RSX for a loaner and thats a fun liittle car to drive hard since it aint mine
Old 12-14-2004, 01:43 PM
Pro

Loaners vary with different dealers, just like as someone else said here.

When I got a tire roation done (Goodson Acura) they gave me an MDX loaner.
A month later when I needed rebalancing, the other dealer (Vandergriff Acura) don't even do the loaner program. Much to my dismay, I had to wait for an hour.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:54 PM
Yada, Yada, Yada

My dealer always gives me an Acura loaner. Usually a TL, sometimes a TSX or RSX.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:40 AM
Intermediate

I have had a: MDX, TSX, Monte Carlo, and TL for loaners. I got the Monte because I couldnt fit in the RSX they gave me.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Psychology....

most dealers normally give a TSX, unfortunately, i'm not 25 yet so they gave me a PT Cruiser
Think of it this way: If they give you a loaner that's basically a POS, like a PT Cruiser, but runs and will get you from point a to point b then, when you get your TL back, you'll appreciate it even more.

The insurance statistics on the under 25 age group dictates the dealer give you something of low value so that if, by some chance of fate, it gets wrecked while on loan the insurance payout is minimal, to either repair or total, and the chances the dealers insurance rates will go up is reduced.

It isn't discrimination, it's insurance statistics and pure economics driving the policy. The same reason rental companies won't do business with anyone under, I believe, 22.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most rental companies won't do under 25... with some exceptions... some states allow for 18 and older if you are specifically on a business trip (illinois for example)... michigan just recently began allowing rentals to under 25 IF you pay a higher cost (its extra $44 a day)... now I am basing the michigan stat on a state law....

I am 19, and my infiniti dealer does not normally give loaners to under 25, but in my case the manager was trying to be decent and he gave me NEW cars off the lot as they are insured for test driving under 25, and I have full coverage insurance... (he felt bad because they destroyed my car)

The acura dealer... they normally do not give to under 25, but I had a loaner the last couple days while the aspec was being installed (i suppose i should have told him im 19, but i "forgot" to mention that... besides he wrote down my birthdate on the form.. lol)

I think a lot of dealers are willing to work with you on the loaner... some will give to younger people off their used car lot... but im sure their#1 requirment is you are FULLY insured and can prove it (which i could)
Old 12-22-2004, 05:20 PM
10th Gear

don't feel too bad.... I got a Ford Focus (sedan) from Park Ave. Acura as a loaner. Its Pinto heritage was clear.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:37 PM
Instructor

I was given a TSX as a loaner at Riverside Acura.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by miiipilot
I own a $33000 car, and I will not drive a Lancer or Malibu for a loaner.
I think you're being a baby. Any loaner for a simple A1 service is a good deal. My dealer doesn't give loaners unless you spend $200 or more but its normally a TSX when you do get one.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:55 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ayethetiense

I am 23 and Rosenthal Acura in Gaithersburg MD gave me a 2nd GEN TL loaner.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:32 AM
Instructor

Stewie,

Did you miss the original post? There was much more than the A1. They were goin to keep the car from Thurs - Tues. I would have taken anything if they were going to keep the car for an hour or two, but not when I had to drive it for 5 days. Baby...prolly not, high expectations...Prolly. Even with my 03 G35 cpe, I got a G35 sdn for an oil change appt. Which they washed and vacuumed too. I didn't get that either come to think about it.

Maybe that's why Infiniti and Lexus get more respect...Because they respect the customer. Along with BMW, they roll out the red carpet when you take your car in for anything. Even something as measly as an oil change. This, of course, is IMO from my experiences with them.

miiipilot
Old 12-23-2004, 08:00 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I've not taken them up on the loaner as of yet, my stealership has 15 (I think she said) TL's that they use as loaners... She said for any service that takes more than an hour or 2, you were entitled to one.

After reading all of these threads, I am very curious to see if all that is true from where I got my car...
Old 12-23-2004, 08:31 AM
Cruisin'

The salesman I bought my MDX from lives 2 blocks from me (just a coincidence). For the last 3 years, with a few days notice, he'll bring me a RSX in the evening and pick up my car for servicing. The next day, he'll return my MDX and pick up the RSX. During my last servicing I asked him for a new TL to test. He PDIed one and delivered it to me the next day. While my MDX was having service, I played with the TL (for a full 28 hours). When he returned my MDX, I asked him to put a deal together for me and a day later, my new 2005 TL was being built. Tell me if ANY of you have EVER had that kind of service. I know people with Mercedes and BMWs who can't get loaners. I'll drive Acuras until the day my salesman retires!!

BTW, I'm supposed to have my TL any day now, but with a foot of fresh snow outside and -15 degree temps, I'm not in such a big hurry.