8 or 8.5?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004 | 04:51 PM
What's a TL?

8 or 8.5?

As I have mentioned more than once in this forum, I have ordered a new set of wheels for my car. Since they are backordered, I have had a little extra time to consider the size of the wheels. I am stuck on 19s (no need to make disparaging comments- for those who are anti larger wheels), but not sure if I should go with an 8 or 8.5" width.

Any imput would be helpful. I have included a link showing the wheels and different cars sporting the wheels. Thanks guys.

You are looking for the Hyper Black Maya STM...

http://www.mayawheels.com/wheels.asp

http://www.mayawheels.com/gallery.asp
Old 04-19-2004 | 04:59 PM
Team WD Chaplain

Yeah, I like those quite a lot. I like the DTM's as well. Be sure to put some pictures up when you get those on (assuming you do.) Any idea on the price?
Old 04-19-2004 | 05:03 PM
What's a TL?

Originally Posted by mr_superlove
Yeah, I like those quite a lot. I like the DTM's as well. Be sure to put some pictures up when you get those on (assuming you do.) Any idea on the price?
Glad you like them...the DTMs are really nice, I saw them in person this weekend for the first time and I really liked them. The Mayas are pretty expensive. Full retail for the 19X8.5 is $720/wheel without tires
Old 04-19-2004 | 05:05 PM
ImayBparanoidButNoAndroid

What offsets are available on the variouse widths?
I chose 8" with +42 offset mainly to play it safe. The wheels I ordered were available in 8.5" but I want to lower the car and I felt the 8" wheel would have less of a risk for rubbing.
Old 04-19-2004 | 05:13 PM
What's a TL?

Originally Posted by automata
What offsets are available on the variouse widths?
I chose 8" with +42 offset mainly to play it safe. The wheels I ordered were available in 8.5' but I want to lower the car and I felt the 8" wheel would have less of a risk for rubbing.

I'm dropped on Comptechs, and according to the wheel company either width will work with my particular car. I have been assured that rubbing isn't an issue, but not sure if I need to play it safe with the 8s

By the way, Automata, I just saw that you have winnings...that was another one I was looking at. All my friends are Volk diehards and wanted me to get winnings or LE37s. Good choice, I would love to see pics.
Old 04-19-2004 | 05:13 PM
Time to POWER UP!!

I personally like the 8.5's. You can use the the same size tire on the 8 and 8.5 but the 8.5 can always go to a larger tire.
Old 04-19-2004 | 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by VTEC=happiness
I'm dropped on Comptechs, and according to the wheel company either width will work with my particular car. I have been assured that rubbing isn't an issue, but not sure if I need to play it safe with the 8s

By the way, Automata, I just saw that you have winnings...that was another one I was looking at. All my friends are Volk diehards and wanted me to get winnings or LE37s. Good choice, I would love to see pics.

I am pretty sure you can go with 8.5", just at higher offset than the 8" and not have any rubbing isuess. I just wanted to have a little more of a safety net. I don't know how much the springs will settle over the years.

I'll post pics as soon as I get the wheels. They should ship tomorow, I should get them by early next week. This is my first set of Volks, I always liked them but couldn't afford them when I had my Accord.

Have you owned mesh wheels before? I had BBS RC's on my Audi for 3 years, they are a PITA to clean, but well worth the effort.
Old 04-19-2004 | 05:58 PM
What's a TL?

Have you owned mesh wheels before? I had BBS RC's on my Audi for 3 years, they are a PITA to clean, but well worth the effort.
Never had mesh before, but a friend has BBS LMs...they are such a pleasure to clean :chainsaw: . I may have to make a trip down to the O.C. to check out the wheels when you get them. Where did you buy them anyway?
Old 04-19-2004 | 06:18 PM

Thumbs up

VTEC
I got them from Wheels Boutique online. They had the best price I could find. Including shipping they were just over $2700 with tires, about $1100 less then the best price I could get in O.C. Now I just have to wait for them. I was hoping to get them before the weekend, I was going to try and go to the meet in Buena Park on Saturday. I may still goe but I won't have the wheels yet.
Old 04-19-2004 | 06:24 PM
Advanced

I love Mayas. They are high durability and won't chip if you run into some sized potholes, just stick with 40 series tires or 45. If you go with 35s, you might need to play the "Dodge the Pothole" game.

As far as 8 or 8.5? I'm assuming that you wouldn't have any trouble with 8. If you want wider, do the research. Clearance may or may not be an issue but you should definitely get offset information from Maya.

Another good website is Dazz Motorsport.

Code:
http://www.dazzmotorsports.com
Old 04-19-2004 | 06:31 PM
Team WD Chaplain

Oh, I've never considered getting new rims on mine until I saw these DTMs. I'm really unfamiliar with wheel terminology. What is a "machined" wheel?
Old 04-19-2004 | 07:47 PM
What's a TL?

VTEC
I got them from Wheels Boutique online. They had the best price I could find. Including shipping they were just over $2700 with tires, about $1100 less then the best price I could get in O.C. Now I just have to wait for them. I was hoping to get them before the weekend, I was going to try and go to the meet in Buena Park on Saturday. I may still goe but I won't have the wheels yet.
Awesome price on the wheels.