Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6spdMT vs 5spdAT

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 09:58 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 6spdMT vs 5spdAT

To all the 3rd gen pro's what kind of preference for the 6spdMT vs the 5spd AT...any problems in heavy traffic with the 6spd?
Old 01-27-2004, 10:01 AM
Burning Brakes

I dont have a problem at all during my rush hour stop and go. I think it is more annoying to be between gears in traffic in an automatic.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:04 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 6spdMT vs 5spdAT

Originally posted by Expediter
To all the 3rd gen pro's what kind of preference for the 6spdMT vs the 5spd AT...any problems in heavy traffic with the 6spd?
Have you driven the 6MT? Probably one of the smoothest and crisp shifting manuals I've ever driven. Without a doubt, in my opinion, I would go with the 6MT if you like a manual. Stop and go traffic has never led me away from a manual. The only way I would ever consider an auto is if I ever get married and the wife demands it...until then, I'm strictly manual.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:25 AM
7th Gear

I have driven both. I love the MT however did not know how it was to drive after a year in traffic. The AT seems to rob the engine of some of it's raw performance. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-27-2004, 10:30 AM
Burning Brakes

plus the look of the stick is so much cooler than an interior with the auto stick configuration.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:47 AM
Instructor

I always loved MT. I've been driving MT for about 17 years now. I considered getting an AT, since TL being an entry-level sedan and all. I was very impressed with TL's AT. Honda come a long way with the auto. Smooth, powerful, and pretty responsive too. If you want to sell the car, I'm sure demand for AT would be higher.

However, there are two factors that made me get MT.

1. Brembo brakes and firmer suspension (depending upon your view, this can be either positive or negative)

2. Last generation AT was a disaster. I'm not sure if they're still using same the transmission on this car.

My two cents...
Old 01-27-2004, 10:51 AM
Instructor

Oh, BTW about 6MT. Many people were complaining about the clutch. Even a sales person at the dealer told me it's rather sensitive. According to him, one customer cancelled his order after his test drive.

Clutch takes some time getting used to, but once you master it, it's awesome. If I were to do it all over again, I would still choose MT.

Traffic does suck, especially living in L.A. area, but it's not that bad. There were few days where I wish I had an automatic, but as soon as I hit open twisty road, all that goes away
Old 01-27-2004, 11:26 AM
Instructor

Well, I'll be the lone voice for the 5AT. The 04TL is the first car I've ever owned with an automatic transmission, and I thought long and hard about it. I drove both, and just realized that I'm not racing people off the mark, and the car, while fun to drive with a stick isn't quite at the small sports car level. Two of the other cars that I was considering were the 330 and the A4, both of which I'd probably get a stick, so I did go back and forth. To me, I guess it's the luxury part; not having to shift while I'm relaxing, enjoying the view and audio system.

If you really want to *drive* the car all the time, by all means get the stick, I'm sure you'll love it. If you just want to enjoy the car (yes, I know, driving the car is part of the enjoyment, but you know what I mean), get the AT. At least that's my opinion. ;-)
Old 01-27-2004, 11:35 AM
7th Gear

Great points, Thanks. One elliment that tips the scales for me is the AT problems that have crept up. I am leaning towords the MT even though the sequential shifting was great. By the way how is Seattle. I worked in Issaquah and lived in Cle Elum for 5 years. Beautiful country!!
Old 01-27-2004, 11:44 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Woodstock
Well, I'll be the lone voice for the 5AT. The 04TL is the first car I've ever owned with an automatic transmission, and I thought long and hard about it. I drove both, and just realized that I'm not racing people off the mark, and the car, while fun to drive with a stick isn't quite at the small sports car level.
Hehe, I know what you mean. I thought about that aspect too. It's a sedan and suppose to be a luxury car. I guess I'm not quite ready to give up my youth yet:p I told my girlfriend that she can't interfere with my car buying decision. She agreed, bless her heart. If I had kids...well, then who knows.

You do bring out some good points though, well said.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:12 PM
Instructor

re: Expediter: Seattle's great, we love it here. I work downtown, but live on the eastside near Issaquah.

re: 5AT. I haven't had any problems with the 5AT, shifts smoothly, and all that, I'll play more with higher revs after the breakin period.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:19 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd been driving an AT for last 9 years and had MT before that. With TL I'm back to 6MT and will never go back to AT. I drive in the bay area in stop and go while evening commute and feel that 6MT is not a problem at all. I love shifting gear and braking engine speed with down shifting than applying brakes. However, you'll get a lot of people who will opt for 6MT and same number who'll opt for 5AT. I think you should test drive, consider your commute, judge your liking and decide whether you would have 6MT or 5AT. 6MT is lot of fun though.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:21 PM
7th Gear

The Bay area is certainly great reference! Thanks for the info.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Are you really letting the polarized internet reports of tranny problems with the 2nd gereration TL impact your decision? That seems a little extreme, expecially since the '04 has not had the problems. My 2nd generation tranny failed and Acura replaced it within a week and extended the warranty to 100,000K.

I love the sport shift on my 5AT, and use it all the time in canyons and traffic, other than that, 80% of my driving involves commuting and business driving, so the 6 speed would be an annoyance. Five speed is the best of both worlds, and the tranny is fine. You don't need to worry about it.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I too tried both the auto and mt demo's before finalizing my decision. I have been driving manuals for 24 years and just like the extra level of engagement of a manual. The TL's manual was a joy to shift with short, precise throws. My only problem during the demo was a little surging at partial throttle in 1st gear. I am convinced that is something I will adapt to after a day or two of experience. I certainly liked the fact that the TL had a proper hand break to help with uphill starts. My SHO made do with a foot operated break that was of no use during those situations!

I have heard that Acura is estimating 10-15% of TL owners will go with the manual. I would guess that the % of manuals on this board is a bit higher.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:48 PM
Pro

Man, I HATE my 6mt :wow: :clown:

Why you might ask..... well, I can not use them all. If I am getting on to the freeway, redline in 1st, redline in 2nd, redline in 3rd and HOLY CR@P!! Back off there before you get a ticket

On second thought,
Old 01-27-2004, 04:35 PM
Instructor

Which ever you choose, they're both good transmissions. Honda comes a long way with their AT. Did anyone had Honda AT back in the 80's. They shifted fast, but you felt a jerk at every shift.

As for their MT gearbox, it's always been one of the best!

BTW, I heard some people having problem with 1st popping out on earlier models. I haven't experience this yet. Anyone?
Old 01-27-2004, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Wife doesn't like a manual...I still have nightmares of her slamming the maxima up into the garage in 2nd gear so she wouldn't have to shift. Never again. If not for the AS, I'd have gone for the 6M. When I tire of city driving at 1400RPM's (what's w/that?), I use the AS in order to let it sing a better tune. My foot doesn't miss the clutch, but my ears miss the music.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Troublemaker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have an AT, i think its fine. Just the right amount of power for this type of car... I personally would not get a 6MT unless it was a very fast car (z06, m3, ferrari) or a light one that was nimble (mini cooper, rsx)
Old 01-27-2004, 05:14 PM
Intermediate

I also had problems getting into first, and from first to second, smoothly. However, after one week I was a lot smoother. I do not know if the clutch adjust after some use or if I just got the hang of it. I am still occasionally spinning the tires in first. It is hard to adjust to all the additional torque. Without a doubt the best manual I have ever driven.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:58 PM
Pro

6mt here and it's great! I'm sure the AT's good, but if you can get your hands on a 6MT just do it...you won't regret it!
Old 01-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Intermediate

Does anybody know who makes the 5AT? If is Aisin that is good news; I have abused two Aisin transmissions (Toyota Cressida 198000 miles and a Jeep Cherokee), and they are bullet proof. In fact the Cressida had the original trans fluid in it when I sold it.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:10 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Go auto

Stop and Go traffic with manual is a PAIN (Don't care WHAT the brainwashed current 6MT owners are saying). Sensitive clutch = BAD, Trying to eat a burger while on the road with a manual = bad. Torque steer more obvious in manual = Bad. On the other hand the auto does allow a "manual mode" if shifting is desired. It's not perfect, but it can get the job done. This auto also has the "learning" feature most German autos have been promoting for a while in that it "learns" your driving habits and tries to match it's settings to you preferences. Any idea of which way I would recommend? The ONLY 2004 transmissions that have had any problems are the manual ones and those were only on early models. So far the 2004 auto trany has ZERO issues (on line or elsewhere that I am aware of). PS - Oh yea, resale on the manuals will be less since this isn't really a true performance car (like the M-series). I agree on the Brembo's. For no additional cost no less! That's Definitely a nice touch on the Manual. But I can add the Brembo's to my AT if I continue to see a value in it later.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:35 PM
Intermediate

Re: Go auto

Originally posted by ndabunka
Stop and Go traffic with manual is a PAIN (Don't care WHAT the brainwashed current 6MT owners are saying). Sensitive clutch = BAD, Trying to eat a burger while on the road with a manual = bad. Torque steer more obvious in manual = Bad. On the other hand the auto does allow a "manual mode" if shifting is desired. It's not perfect, but it can get the job done. This auto also has the "learning" feature most German autos have been promoting for a while in that it "learns" your driving habits and tries to match it's settings to you preferences. Any idea of which way I would recommend? The ONLY 2004 transmissions that have had any problems are the manual ones and those were only on early models. So far the 2004 auto trany has ZERO issues (on line or elsewhere that I am aware of).
I see your point. However, 6MT = Brembo calipers up front. Something to consider.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:28 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
first auto in 10 years and am somewhat happy - don't miss shifting in Atlanta traffic.

however, implementation isn't nearly as good as, say, the Infiniti G35 (which holds gears longer and downshifts when you move to manual mode).

I probably would have gone with 6M if (a) I had more time before taking delivery and (b) I hadn't tired of manuals in traffic and with valet parkers...
Old 01-28-2004, 10:49 AM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The issue of reliability is not very valid because the cars are so new. I dont think most 01-03 TL/CL owners experienced problems until upwards of 30k miles.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:40 AM
Racer

I ordered the 6MT but the wife wanted the AT

I commute everyday in the DC area with a 5spd 97 CL and the shifting has never been an issue, but the wife wanted an AT this time, so I agree. Then a month ago, right before I order the TL, the clutch goes out in the CL (174K miles on it) and we commute in her MDX for 2 weeks and I find myself wanting to shift through the gears out of habit.

Needless to say the first day I have the CL back I tell her we are getting the 6MT. She realized that after 18 years of driving a manual that I would go crazy without one car that I could drive that had a manual transmission.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:10 PM
Instructor

I think the real issue here is what do YOU want and not what we want. I happen to have gotten the 5AT....I wanted to emphasize the luxury part of luxury sports sedan. I think the transmission shifts crisply and smoothly. As far as reliability goes.....who knows what's going to happen at 30, 40, or 50,000 miles. The MT's might be falling out or the AT's might be burning up. As far as Brembo's go, I am an older guy and am embarassed to say I never even heard of them before. It sounds like they might be a necessity to slow down as you re-enter earth's atmosphere.......I have not had any ill feelings for the standard brakes so far. Let me conclude by saying again....it is YOUR choice.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:32 AM
7th Gear

Well put! I have the 5AT and it's great I love how smooth it shifts. The only down side is you don't have TOTAL control over the 1st gear shifts, hopfully in the future a software upgrade will come out that either eliminates the semi-sport shift or at least raises the shift points. No other complaints I love my Nighthawk on camel!
Old 02-24-2004, 10:51 AM
Racer

I'd say it depends on how you look at the car. If you think of it (and drive it) more as a luxury car, get the AT. If you think/drive it like a sports car, get the 6spd.

Personally, I was leaning toward the AT, but after a test drive of both, I bought the 6spd. Much more responsive and fun to drive, and it will more than offset the few occasions where I am annoyed with shifting. Plus, if the tranny ever goes, it's much cheaper to deal with a clutch.