Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6MT vs. 5AT ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 09:18 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6MT vs. 5AT ??

I know somewhere here these is a comparo of the 6Mt and 5AT flat out speed differences (0-60, qtr mile, etc.) My neighbor is getting the 6MT and I know he's gonna be gloating (me, 5AT.) Frankly, there is just too much traffic for me to be sawing back and fourth with the MT. I like the Auto. I know I give up some performance (?) how much I don't know. Would be nice to actually know the numbers. I did try and search the forum but no hits on various headers (6mt vs 5at, etc.) I have modded a little with the K&N filter, and ordered the Comptech 22mil sway bar, also using Autocraft 5-20 synblend. Frankly, I think the biggest diff with the two is the 6MT gets the Bremba brakes. Now that's a ding for us AT owners. Also the 6MT has more pronounced torque steer I've been told and a slightly harsher ride. So there are tradeoffs with each selection!
Old 03-28-2005, 09:54 PM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 6mt also gets LSD.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:27 PM
10th Gear

I have a 6MT and I got to drive a loaner with a 5AT. I must say, the 5AT was quite boring for me in comparison. Every day I drive one hour through stop and go traffic in Chicago, but I still don't regret the manual. Once the traffic opens up and on weekends, the manual is great to drive and the control that you just cannot get with an automatic transmission, even in the "shift it yourself" mode.

If you are considering both, I would highly recommend you test drive both and decide for your self.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:37 PM
Instructor

test drive

TL

auto - boring
MT - much more fun, and noticably quicker.

In the G35, I like the auto better.

I still wish Acura and Infiniti shifted the other direction like BMW, and others though. More natural.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:51 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by SnappyPappy
I know somewhere here these is a comparo of the 6Mt and 5AT flat out speed differences (0-60, qtr mile, etc.) My neighbor is getting the 6MT and I know he's gonna be gloating (me, 5AT.) Frankly, there is just too much traffic for me to be sawing back and fourth with the MT. I like the Auto. I know I give up some performance (?) how much I don't know. Would be nice to actually know the numbers. I did try and search the forum but no hits on various headers (6mt vs 5at, etc.) I have modded a little with the K&N filter, and ordered the Comptech 22mil sway bar, also using Autocraft 5-20 synblend. Frankly, I think the biggest diff with the two is the 6MT gets the Bremba brakes. Now that's a ding for us AT owners. Also the 6MT has more pronounced torque steer I've been told and a slightly harsher ride. So there are tradeoffs with each selection!

I think you got the main differences. As far as flat out, I think the cars are close enough that it will depend on the drivers skill in the real world. The 5AT can pretty much run consistant times. People fail to imagine that they might even slightly blow a perfect shift with the 6MT. If they do, the 5AT will propably win. On those rare occassions that the MT driver shifts perfectly, they will win.

Should I now put on my flame suit?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:50 AM
Instructor

6speed also gets Brembo brakes.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
The differences between the manual and automatic are this: the manual has stiffer springs and shocks, larger sway bars, larger brake rotors, Brimbo brakes in the front, and LSD.

I now own one of each.. we just got my wife an '05 SSM/Quartz/5AT/Nav this past Saturday (mine is Anthracite/Ebony/6MT/NAV). There IS a noticable difference in the two cars (besides the transmissions). The manual is a little stiffer and has better turn-in. The ride is generally more firm.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MR1
I think you got the main differences. As far as flat out, I think the cars are close enough that it will depend on the drivers skill in the real world. The 5AT can pretty much run consistant times. People fail to imagine that they might even slightly blow a perfect shift with the 6MT. If they do, the 5AT will propably win. On those rare occassions that the MT driver shifts perfectly, they will win.

Should I now put on my flame suit?
Pretty much my conclusion also. . . Also I'm not sure the sport shift in the AT adds any difference to the total acceleration picture. Full throttle sprints in auto runs up to about 6500 between shifts. Another conclusion concerns the added stiffness (read harshness?) of the 6MT may be fine on those smooth ribbons of open highway out there in Calif or Montana but here on the East Coast (read winter weather) our roads are a mess with ice ruts and pot holes and all means of wash board surfaces. I'm bouncing my ass off NOW with the 5AT. Why would I want it stiffer???? I just replaced my 215 size snowtires with those big ass 235s and do those babies bounce hard. My BMW handles this bad stuff MUCH better than the TL and I'll guarantee it will hold its own in the saloms against the TL anyday MINUS the nasty ride. Japanese should take note Suspensions ARE important - reverse engineer those german units and make our cars ride 'n' handle better!
Old 03-30-2005, 10:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
The differences between the manual and automatic are this: the manual has stiffer springs and shocks, larger sway bars, larger brake rotors, Brimbo brakes in the front, and LSD.

I now own one of each.. we just got my wife an '05 SSM/Quartz/5AT/Nav this past Saturday (mine is Anthracite/Ebony/6MT/NAV). There IS a noticable difference in the two cars (besides the transmissions). The manual is a little stiffer and has better turn-in. The ride is generally more firm.
SouthernBoy,

Correct me if i am wrong, but I thought the 6MT's front suspension was a little softer to offset the lighter weight of the car campared to the 5AT. I always thought the inproved turn in on the 6MT was related to bigger front and rear swaybars. Thanks.

dsc888
Old 03-30-2005, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
To dsc888;

The front and rear sway bars are larger on the manual, and it was my understanding that the springs and shocks were both stiffer.. at least it feels that way between my two TLs. Yes there is a weight difference.. around 80 pounds as I recall with a 1% difference in distribution (manual = 60/40, auto = 61/39).
Old 03-30-2005, 06:41 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Originally Posted by SnappyPappy
. . Also I'm not sure the sport shift in the AT adds any difference to the total acceleration picture. Full throttle sprints in auto runs up to about 6500 between shifts. My BMW handles this bad stuff MUCH better than the TL and I'll guarantee it will hold its own in the saloms against the TL anyday MINUS the nasty ride. Japanese should take note Suspensions ARE important - reverse engineer those german units and make our cars ride 'n' handle better!
Not positive but I beleive I read that the sport shift may slow you down due to the human factor. I think it's just there to entertain us and lure us further toward 'floating the valves'!

Regarding the handling difference, I think that's FWD vs RWD and associated weight distribution differences.

I have been considering adding the Comptech springs and rear sway bar or the A-Spec kit but my car is quiet and I don't want to screw it up so-far.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:37 AM
Speed Addict

Originally Posted by MR1
Not positive but I beleive I read that the sport shift may slow you down due to the human factor. I think it's just there to entertain us and lure us further toward 'floating the valves'!

Regarding the handling difference, I think that's FWD vs RWD and associated weight distribution differences.

I have been considering adding the Comptech springs and rear sway bar or the A-Spec kit but my car is quiet and I don't want to screw it up so-far.
Well if you know how to drive whatsoever, the sport shift does improve times. The dyno of a stock 5AT at Comptech shows that the hp peak at at the redline, when they lift, this means that taking the car all the way to just a hair before the revlimiter will make it go fastest down the track, or against another car.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:21 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Originally Posted by 2LOW4U
Well if you know how to drive whatsoever, the sport shift does improve times. The dyno of a stock 5AT at Comptech shows that the hp peak at at the redline, when they lift, this means that taking the car all the way to just a hair before the revlimiter will make it go fastest down the track, or against another car.

I've known how to drive a long time. Been driving a MT since 1966 and you? I have also street raced and put in a little track time. Reread the post you responded to and my post #5 above.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MR1
People fail to imagine that they might even slightly blow a perfect shift with the 6MT. If they do, the 5AT will propably win. On those rare occassions that the MT driver shifts perfectly, they will win.
That statement has more validity from a stop than from a roll. An unexperienced driver may have a problem launching the 6MT compared to an unexperienced driver in the 5AT.

However, the 6MT has superior gearing, particularly at higher speeds, and the lighter weight doesn't hurt. From a roll, the 5AT is at a marked disadvantage. I've driven them both (5ATs on test drives and as loaners, I have over 30k on my 6MT) and the 6MT is definitely faster. FWIW, the magazine numbers show a .3-.5 second advantage 0-60 and in the quarter.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:37 AM
Car Addict

I would not be surprised if the difference, on average, in the quarter, was .4 with the 6MT being faster. Most modern sedans have around a 1400 stall converter, maybe up to 1800.

6MT has a 3.93 first gear, that is pretty low.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:24 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I would not be surprised if the difference, on average, in the quarter, was .4 with the 6MT being faster. Most modern sedans have around a 1400 stall converter, maybe up to 1800.

6MT has a 3.93 first gear, that is pretty low.
I agree that in theory the 6MT is faster. BUT from a standing start, on the street, with typical drivers; I still suspect the 5AT would win at least 1/2 the time due to driver error. I might be wrong but an efficient machine should be better at some things than a somewhat uptight person. This is just my
Old 03-31-2005, 10:33 AM
Car Addict

6MT is pretty easy to drive, I have only missed a shift once in 5000 miles. But my race car has a turbo 400.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MR1
I agree that in theory the 6MT is faster. BUT from a standing start, on the street, with typical drivers; I still suspect the 5AT would win at least 1/2 the time due to driver error. I might be wrong but an efficient machine should be better at some things than a somewhat uptight person. This is just my
OK now lets' even up the playing field a little. Take a 5AT with following mods:

Comptech Exhaust (+7 hp their dyno claim)
K'n'N air filter - (free flow)
Comptech 24mil sway bar (OK, no speed advantage but flatter handling)
Mobil1 0w20 oil - less friction on engine
Remove spare tire and hardware (less weight)
Tire pressure up to 38 lbs each wheel. (less rolling resistance)

Does that level the playing field any??? Oh sure it does assuming the 6MT is not similarly modified.