3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6MT owners....ALWAYS leave the car parked in gear, otherwise this can happen!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,014 Likes on 14,518 Posts
Believe it or not, even at half your age...both of my parents...who are like spiritual kind of free spirits tell me I'm way ahead of my time because I'm very aware of things like that. I've tried to live my life with a lot of self reflection probably since I was 25. Trying to realize what part I play in problems and trying to be the best person I can be. So far, it's very rewarding. I've noticed, even at 30...things that used to bother me so much aren't that big a deal...I even let people cut me off and I don't ALWAYS chase after them anymore to return the favor. People will be people...and I won't be able to change that. I can only worry about myself and how I feel about me. It's brought me great relationships with my family and girlfriend. I'm agnostic, but I feel peaceful and do my daily meditations/affirmations. I also recently changed my approach to repairing and modding things...I used to rush to get to the end result. Strippping bolts and breaking things and getting frustrated. Now, if I don't have the time to do it right...I wait. And when I do...I ONLY work when I feel like it, even if it means in stages. I realize now that the fun of doing all these things is the actual journey...not the destination.

Anyway...sorry, that was VERY off topic.
So, ummm...yeah, everyone adjust your e brake!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Yeah, we divert.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:52 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
JON! the car was flawless man. It was amazing that you were able to drive so many miles with nothing having happened to it.

A new panel and some paint and she will be back to normal again.

I've been in the habit of always putting it in 1st and using the parking brake everytime the car is sitting, even in the garage.

Sorry to hear that happened!
Old 01-16-2010, 02:14 AM
socal WDP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude that sucks some hardcore ass. Good luck with everything. Man I can't even imagine what went through your mind hah
Old 01-16-2010, 08:55 AM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
That can't happen with the new remote starts that are designed for MT. The sequence to activate the RS requires you to put it in neutral and then set the P-brake before you get out of the car:

With engine still running, shift to N, press and hold brake pedal, set P-brake, release brake pedal. Push a button on the remote within 15 seconds. Turn the key off and remove key, car keeps running. Exit the car. Push the lock button. The RS CPU locks the doors, shuts off engine, and arms alarm/RS.
Ahh,the technology just keeps getting better every year. I stopped putting those in back in 2000 as I moved onto better things. Remote starts and alarms are a pain in the ass to install on certain cars.

Originally Posted by alexSU
Good luck with the repairs I'd love to see it when you get the car back. Who are you using for the repairs?
Trevor always told me, if I needed a good body shop, he had a guy that would make it right. Well, he sent me over to Collision Specialties in Indian Trail off of Independence. Mark Mahoney is the owner and he and I went over the car together and I gotta say, he looked it over more than I ever would have. He picked up the things I missed...That's why he's in the business and i'm a customer.
He said new quarter panel, new rear aspec skirt, maybe a new bumper, blend it all in, fix some of the other little bs on the car to bring it back to 100%. I'm bringing it in on Monday and I might ask him if he has time to do the roof in Black....I doubt it will happen, but I have to ask since it's going to be there for over a week.

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
To mmade22;

"Southernboy, thanks for adding great advice in this thread. I respect you at your age and I know have to say sorry for my other thread back in the day with my rap music and me getting on your case about the nothern transplants like me. My dad is your age and now that I know that, it all makes sense. Sorry for acting like a young yankee."

We're cool I'm sure. How do you like Charlotte? My youngest daughter's husband was there for a week for some class and was quite excited about it. Got my little girl all fired up about maybe moving down there. So how is it? And I like the heat. Hell, it gets hot in the summer where I live, too.
Grew up on LI (Babylon, NY) best town in suffolk county and I loved living there. Moved to Wilmington, NC six years ago, loved it but I was away all week long.....So, sold my house and moved to the Charlotte area for my job....Never looked back. It has everything anyone could ask for and then some. Weather isn't as hot as one would think. We are getting the weather everyone else is, minus the snow!

Originally Posted by 94eg!
Our cars don't use the rear brake pads for the e-brake. Your e-brake is a drum located inside the rotor hat with separate brake shoes. These should pretty much be good for the life of the car since they are only used to hold a stationary car and will never wear out. If your parking brake isn't holding, it's a bad adjustment from the factory, or perhaps the cables are stretching/breaking-in...

EVERYONE GO ADJUST YOUR PARKING BRAKE LEVER!!!
I love a fellow member who knows what he's talking about. Yes the emergency brake is behind the drum. I wonder just how many people try to remove the rear rotors with the emergency brake engaged.....

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
JON! the car was flawless man. It was amazing that you were able to drive so many miles with nothing having happened to it.

A new panel and some paint and she will be back to normal again.

I've been in the habit of always putting it in 1st and using the parking brake everytime the car is sitting, even in the garage.

Sorry to hear that happened!
Eric, you were one of the firsty people I called....It was sad but my car is spotless in my garage and as you said, she will be back in action soon enough. See you at 6:00 tonight for dinner....Honey Baked Ham FTW!! Going to pick it up today so bring your empty stomach.

Originally Posted by diskinnect
Dude that sucks some hardcore ass. Good luck with everything. Man I can't even imagine what went through your mind hah
A lot of things where spinning in my mind at the time I stepped out. Not once did I think it rolled away on it's own.

It was kind of weird. I had spent three full days on my last mod making the car complete. I just finished my last project this past weekend and was so happy with the results. I put a little over 1000 bucks into it and countless labor. I would have really been upset had I had to pull it all out if she was totallled.

All new speakers (image Dynamics/Alpines), wiring, navone locs, 12 inch sub(old pioneer and custom sealed box), one four channel amp(cadence 100 wattsrms*4), one two channel amp(rockford fosgate 450S), and custom embroidery (done by me) on the custom trunk panels.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:03 AM
200,000 mile club

To all the other guys in this thread, Thanks for the support!! I realize my mistake and it made me feel a little better reading all the other stories of past experiences. Shit Happens!!! Thanks fellas!!
Old 01-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice looking trunk and setup!
Old 01-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow, my TL is the first manual car for me after driving automatics for 10 years. After seeing in this thread I have been putting my car in 1st or reverse when I park depending on the location. And as mentioned before, I have killed my car a couple times because I would let off the clutch thinking that it is in neutral.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by mmade22

Trevor always told me, if I needed a good body shop, he had a guy that would make it right. Well, he sent me over to Collision Specialties in Indian Trail off of Independence. Mark Mahoney is the owner and he and I went over the car together and I gotta say, he looked it over more than I ever would have. He picked up the things I missed...That's why he's in the business and i'm a customer.
He said new quarter panel, new rear aspec skirt, maybe a new bumper, blend it all in, fix some of the other little bs on the car to bring it back to 100%. I'm bringing it in on Monday and I might ask him if he has time to do the roof in Black....I doubt it will happen, but I have to ask since it's going to be there for over a week.

All new speakers (image Dynamics/Alpines), wiring, navone locs, 12 inch sub(old pioneer and custom sealed box), one four channel amp(cadence 100 wattsrms*4), one two channel amp(rockford fosgate 450S), and custom embroidery (done by me) on the custom trunk panels.

Nice, that's pretty close to me. I live in Indian Trail, almost next to the Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Sounds like the guy should do a real nice job on the TL. I'm sure he could do the black roof, that would ultimately complete your TL

BTW, sick system!!! Can't wait to hear how it sounds, it's something I'd do but it's last on my list of mods.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Thanks for the expensive lesson....jk man! Sorry to hear about your car. It sucks to go so many miles with clean mods to have this happen. Just glad no one got hurt.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:09 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey man, Trevor told me about what happened and my heart broke for you... haha. Best wishes getting her all repaired again!

If it makes you feel any better, I bought a 50" plasma while I was in VA over Christmas. I tried to make it fit in the back seat and the stand ripped apart my door panel and the back of my driver's seat
Old 01-23-2010, 10:48 AM
200,000 mile club

^^

Thanks guys, yeah it was a very stupid expensive lesson. WRX- That sucks about your interior! At least you got a nice TV at home! I still haven't gotten the car back. I hope to have it back this week. I dropped it off Monday and they are going to repair the quarter panel since Gieco wouldn't spring for a new one. It really isn't that bad and from what I understand, replacing the panel is a lot of work! He is painting the quarter panel, trunk, rear bumper, and my black emblem.
My other rear quarter panel had been painted before I got the car as I found repair marks to the very bottom of the quarter panel corner. I asked him if he could make it all right and blend it in the right way. Mark said he will take care of it for me.
I warned him I'm almost as anal as Trevor (we both laughed) so it has to be right or I will refuse the car. Mark is well respected in the in the business so I'm not worried.

I have renters insurance so Gieco hooked me up with a loner for up to two weeks...

I went from this...............

To this..............

I drove it to Hilton Head Island, SC....Columbus, GA....Louden, TN....Spartanburg, SC...Elkin, NC and then finally made it home yesterday. 1400 total miles in five days and used a total of 24 gallons.. Drove 75-80 mph all day and averaged 47 mpg.

I thought the Prius was cool and all until I was driving and a good looking girl was driving next to me in a CLK Mercades and I looked over at her, she looked at me, and then I realized real quick....Nothing is cool about a prius! I think she was looking for my boyfriend in the back seat ....lol. I need my TL back soon.

Way off topic I know but I just did this shirt for a lucky member on here....Please don't ask if I can do one for you...It's a gift to him. I just really liked how it came out on the Nike golf shirt.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
^ Hey thanks.. I really appreciate it, I'll be looking for it in the mail.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
^ Hey no fair, locals should get gifts first

at the Prius. You sure you wouldn't want to trade it for your TL?? lol think about all the fuel you could save
Old 01-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Quarterlife Crisis....

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts

at the Prius. You sure you wouldn't want to trade it for your TL?? lol think about all the fuel you could save

Hey Jon, sorry to hear about the car too. I think you're one of the rare ones that drives their car more in a year than I do. Good to see that set up in the ride though.

at a Prius .... I want a shirt like that...
Old 01-29-2010, 10:54 AM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Dude, sorry you had to learn your lesson that way but I was always taught to put it in gear no matter what and if theres any sort of incline turning the wheels. Good luck, good think thats all that happened.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Pro

I don't know if you realize but the prius causes just as much pollution as driving a hummer around for 300k. The metal for the batteries have to be mined, I think in Canada. Then it has to be flown or shipped and assembled where ever they make those batteries. Then it has to be flown or shipped to the assembly plant. That is a lot of jet fuel or diesel for shipping. Not to mention you plug it in to soak electricity up which in turn is made from coal.

Plus it looks stupid.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Intermediate

I've been driving manuals for 12 years and never had any of them slip off the e-brake... I'm not sure why so many think putting it in gear is necessary unless on a steep incline.

Sorry about the car, but at least your damage was minimal.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:23 PM
Soon I will have

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bender
I don't know if you realize but the prius causes just as much pollution as driving a hummer around for 300k. The metal for the batteries have to be mined, I think in Canada. Then it has to be flown or shipped and assembled where ever they make those batteries. Then it has to be flown or shipped to the assembly plant. That is a lot of jet fuel or diesel for shipping. Not to mention you plug it in to soak electricity up which in turn is made from coal.

Plus it looks stupid.
I don't think the purpose of his posting that picture was to make everyone think he is going green. It was mainly to show how he went from a super badass car to a not so badass car that gets 47mpg. You should really bring your research on how much pollution the Prius causes to the EPA and Toyota as I am sure they are not aware of all the useful information and research you have put into that last post.

Jon, I hope your ride is looking tight as hell when you get it back today. I think the wait is gonna be worth it as Mark seemed to pretty good at what he does when we were at his shop. It has been a little odd to see you getting in and out of a Prius these past few weeks.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:38 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by golfjwr
I don't think the purpose of his posting that picture was to make everyone think he is going green. It was mainly to show how he went from a super badass car to a not so badass car that gets 47mpg. You should really bring your research on how much pollution the Prius causes to the EPA and Toyota as I am sure they are not aware of all the useful information and research you have put into that last post.

Jon, I hope your ride is looking tight as hell when you get it back today. I think the wait is gonna be worth it as Mark seemed to pretty good at what he does when we were at his shop. It has been a little odd to see you getting in and out of a Prius these past few weeks.
First of all, I don't care what you think. Second I never accused him of going green. Third that is a silly car. $rth google it yourself you spoon fed baby.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:40 PM

First of all, I don't care what you think. Second I never accused him of going green. Third that is a silly car. $rth google it yourself you spoon fed baby.
You forgot to say "Bite my shiny metal ass!"
Old 01-29-2010, 02:12 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Chill out man, no need to get your panties up in a bunch over this.

OP, I'm incredibly envious of your garage.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by leedogg

yeah.. btw OP.. how's the epoxy floor holding up?
Old 01-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
when you gotta leak, you gotta leak....other things don't matter....
Old 01-29-2010, 02:45 PM
Nismo TL yo!

Now Im a bit scared.

I replaced my rotors/pads last weekend and when I pulled one of the rotors off, the ebrake assembly fell apart a bit. Not knowing how to put it back together nor having a replacement brake pad for it (was falling apart) I decided to just take out the whole assembly so it didnt cause issues while driving. So now I'm just parking and leaving the car in gear. I usually use both ebrake and leave the car in gear. Luckily most of the places I park are on level ground.

Is there a gear that is more beneficial to leave the car in? or are they all the same as far as holding the car in place? Im guessing first gear is the strongest?
Old 01-29-2010, 03:16 PM
e92 335i

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
^^

Way off topic I know but I just did this shirt for a lucky member on here....Please don't ask if I can do one for you...It's a gift to him. I just really liked how it came out on the Nike golf shirt.

let me guess, steven bell?
Old 01-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Soon I will have

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
What does $rth mean. Your an idiot and most of your lame posts point that out. And to be quite honest with you I think most of us ate with a spoon as baby.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by 6spdtl-s
Now Im a bit scared.

I replaced my rotors/pads last weekend and when I pulled one of the rotors off, the ebrake assembly fell apart a bit. Not knowing how to put it back together nor having a replacement brake pad for it (was falling apart) I decided to just take out the whole assembly so it didnt cause issues while driving. So now I'm just parking and leaving the car in gear. I usually use both ebrake and leave the car in gear. Luckily most of the places I park are on level ground.

Is there a gear that is more beneficial to leave the car in? or are they all the same as far as holding the car in place? Im guessing first gear is the strongest?
You do realize that there is a p-brake on both rear wheels?

I had always used first (lowest gear), however I just read in the TL service manual that it says to put it in R if jacking up rear end. I interpret that to mean: put it in R if facing downhill, 1st if level or uphill.

Anyhow, moot point for me now since I have a remote start and need to leave it in neutral. But I did adjust my e-brake thanks to this thread
Old 01-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Dude, you're earning yourself quite a negative reputation. Is it possible for you to make a statement or disagree without hurling an insult?

The mods have already told you to tone it down in another thread. I'm sure your about to get another warning.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Dude, you're earning yourself quite a negative reputation. Is it possible for you to make a statement or disagree without hurling an insult?

The mods have already told you to tone it down in another thread. I'm sure your about to get another warning.
Sounds like you miss being the hall monitor.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:02 PM
200,000 mile club

No deal on the trade Alex. I was redy to give this car back a week ago and so I still have it.

Originally Posted by gr8ness97
Hey Jon, sorry to hear about the car too. I think you're one of the rare ones that drives their car more in a year than I do. Good to see that set up in the ride though.

at a Prius .... I want a shirt like that...
Your thread seeing you travel around in your TL makes me want to drive west! How is the new TL? Better than the black 6-speed? Next meet, we might be able to see what kind of shirts come out.

Originally Posted by Izzy-Type-S
Dude, sorry you had to learn your lesson that way but I was always taught to put it in gear no matter what and if theres any sort of incline turning the wheels. Good luck, good think thats all that happened.
Thanks, lesson learned.

Plus it looks stupid.
Bender! What can I say to Mr. Bender? First, to answer your questions....Yes the Prius does put it's share of pollutiun into this world for various reasons. But, you would be yapping away without really knoing what your talking about. Where does one plug a Prius in? The answer, you don't! It's so f*cking smart, it does it itself... Go figure, it's a Toyota.

Bender, you love to F*ck with people in all differnet threads to get a rise out of people. If thats what gets you off in life, great. I don't care what you said in this thread but other threads you've graced your presence with. You won't be here long.....It's just a hunch.

Originally Posted by golfjwr

Thanks Jesse. The car is still in the shop. I'm not rushing him. Looks like the Prius is going to GA for two days.

Originally Posted by leedogg

Thanks Leedogg. Come on down to the next meet in CLT and have a beer with the Azine crew as we work on someones TL.

Originally Posted by Majofo
yeah.. btw OP.. how's the epoxy floor holding up?
Well, the floor got a lot of use in the past three years and the brake fluid is what did the floor in. It peeled up in spots, so I scraped up all the spots and sanded the rest and put another coat down. Only this time, I cleared it. Night and Day difference...

I'll let you guys be the judge....I did this in October. So far, so good!

Before

After!

You can almost see your face

I made a fold up table with some extra wood to play dice and cards on.

Folded up and put away....Everything has it's place.

Originally Posted by lights
when you gotta leak, you gotta leak....other things don't matter....
That is very true.

Originally Posted by 6spdtl-s
Now Im a bit scared.

First gear is the one and get the brakes fixed soon.

Originally Posted by ladiesman217
let me guess, steven bell?

No but another member close to home.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:24 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by t3ch
I've been driving manuals for 12 years and never had any of them slip off the e-brake... I'm not sure why so many think putting it in gear is necessary unless on a steep incline.

parking lot was iced over, so the reason for the sliding, if left in gear, the front wheels would not have been able to rotate, which might have kept it from sliding in the first place
Old 01-29-2010, 07:57 PM

whoa! nicely refinished!.. yeah that damn BF.. better your epoxy floors than your beautiful paint.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:13 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts

Thanks Leedogg. Come on down to the next meet in CLT and have a beer with the Azine crew as we work on someones TL.
No prob. That sounds awesome, I'll keep an eye out if anything comes up down there this summer.

That garage is sick.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:52 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
You are turning into more and more of a dick.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:05 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by friesm2000
parking lot was iced over, so the reason for the sliding, if left in gear, the front wheels would not have been able to rotate, which might have kept it from sliding in the first place
Ah-ha, that explains it! I must have missed that detail; makes total sense now. I was wondering why everyone was freaking out over not just using the e-brake.

Originally Posted by subinf
You are turning into more and more of a dick.
I'm obviously new here so I'm unfamiliar with his past posts, but the comments were indeed childish and unwarranted. Sounds like someone misses being the playground bully.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by t3ch

Because it's the smart thing to do and also... shit happens.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Quarterlife Crisis....

Your thread seeing you travel around in your TL makes me want to drive west! How is the new TL? Better than the black 6-speed? Next meet, we might be able to see what kind of shirts come out.
The black TL was sooo much better in shape than my current one . The Previous owner didnt take great care of it, so I have had to give it alot of TLC. I just drove a V6 TSX loaner car, so im fighting the urge to not take a serious look at one.

This car is alot more modded now. Im hoping that should i keep the car, I will get wheels and coilovers next.

Im really hoping to make the next Charlotte meet a big priority.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:14 PM
200,000 mile club

Originally Posted by gr8ness97
The black TL was sooo much better in shape than my current one . The Previous owner didnt take great care of it, so I have had to give it alot of TLC. I just drove a V6 TSX loaner car, so im fighting the urge to not take a serious look at one.

This car is alot more modded now. Im hoping that should i keep the car, I will get wheels and coilovers next.

Im really hoping to make the next Charlotte meet a big priority.

Nice Chris! Hey TrevorT (local member) has his EDFC and Tein setup out of his type-s and wants to sell it. Low miles and all is there for the best setup you can buy. TSX v6 seems nice but I think my next car (years from now) is going to be a 08-09 GS350. Nice car and another one thats great on gas. I think the new 6-speed TL is nice, just going to be really hard to find a used one. Time will tell. I hope to see you at the next meet.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Quarterlife Crisis....

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. I def want that set up

Quick Reply: 6MT owners....ALWAYS leave the car parked in gear, otherwise this can happen!!