3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6MT owners....ALWAYS leave the car parked in gear, otherwise this can happen!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The car is in neutral when it isn't in gear. All vehicles roll in neutral. Bye the way, the funnier part of habitually leaving the car in gear is that when you start it you will forget and it lurches forward, hopefully not impacting anything, and stalls. Yea lookin' cool.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:43 PM
Pro

ya know as soon as i bought my car and had taken it home i knew the E-Brake was very loose. Took it back to dealer and they adjusted it.....NICE! ( i thought) already 3 thousand miles later and its back to loose again.... I cant win for losing on my Type S
Old 01-13-2010, 10:10 PM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cjTL
Only case where "5AT FTW" might be acceptable.
Damn... beat me to it.

I've had that happen before with one of the Miatas I owned. Fortunately, it didn't result in any damage to the car. Man... I cannot imagine that sick feeling in your gut that you had when you walked out of the restroom, didn't see your car, and then saw where it was at.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
That sucks man...

Reminds me of a problem I had last summer. I jumped out of my car to help a friend, but forgot my car was in reverse. As soon as I got out I realized it but it was to late. My car rolled backwards with the door open, the door caught a telephone pole and got bent backwards. After the pole bent the door the car kept rolling down hill and hit another pole and that's where it came to rest. The front door handle was touching the front fender, and the rear door and quarter panel was all smashed up. All together, I had $4500 in damages. The worst part was I had just got the car out the shop 2 days earlier due to a hit and run that smashed up the same rear quarter panel also. Try explaining that to the insurance company
Old 01-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,014 Likes on 14,518 Posts
Living in Florida I've never had to worry about this...well, not for the most part. But yeah, I never leave it in gear either.

Sorry this happened to you. I will say that when I got my car...I used to pull the ebrake ALL the way up and when I would get something from my trunk in my driveway, if I leaned even a little on the car it would move. When I took out the center console to do an install I tightened up the two 14MM (or 12MM?) that connect the cable and it's been MUCH better now. I think you should do that...because now, when I click it up like 7 or 8 clicks...the car doesn't move at all even if I push it on an incline.

Good luck man...how much is your deductible? Would they consider this comp? or collision? I keep mine low...comp 100 ded. and coll 200. I figure I have control of one of them.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't like leaving it in gear. I stall it a lot. Every time the dealer or mechanic leaves it for me its in first. Stall it every time. So I don't. Maybe I should start though.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:02 PM
TL = True Love

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Yonkers914
WTF ^^^ That sucks bro i feel for you. I"m gonna start putting my car in gear now. seriously. Was your E-brake lose though???
DAM! my friend told me this happened to him and i didnt listen to him because he drove a crappy elantra GT, never thought this could happen in an acura, gonna park my car in gear from now on, that damage almost makes me want to cry.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:09 AM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by Bender
...Bye the way, the funnier part of habitually leaving the car in gear is that when you start it you will forget and it lurches forward, hopefully not impacting anything, and stalls. Yea lookin' cool.
Clutch interlock switch connected to the starter cutout relay prevents starter from engaging unless the clutch is pushed in. What you describe can't happen. You can sit there all day long with the car in gear and turn the key, nothing will happen until you push the clutch...

I used to always put it in gear (1st or rev) and set the P-brake. Since I now have a remote start installed, I don't put it in gear unless I don't want to remote start. So far, I haven't had a problem, even parked on an incline. Thinking about this thread will be worth a few extra clicks on the P-brake
Old 01-14-2010, 05:04 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Clutch interlock switch connected to the starter cutout relay prevents starter from engaging unless the clutch is pushed in. What you describe can't happen. You can sit there all day long with the car in gear and turn the key, nothing will happen until you push the clutch...

I used to always put it in gear (1st or rev) and set the P-brake. Since I now have a remote start installed, I don't put it in gear unless I don't want to remote start. So far, I haven't had a problem, even parked on an incline. Thinking about this thread will be worth a few extra clicks on the P-brake
What I described can happen when you start your car. To start you have to use the clutch. Forgetting that it is in first gear it lurches forward when you let the clutch out thinking it is in neutral.

Last edited by Bender; 01-14-2010 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:49 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Chessie724
I'd like to hear a more technical explanation, but from what I've heard, you should put it in 1st gear or reverse because they are the lowest gear ratios and that's a mechanical advantage to keep the car from rolling.
This is absolutely true and the reason to use first gear.

Reverse is slightly lower than first gear but there is spring tension to overcome and I am always reluctant to use reverse for that reason. First is the one to use.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by funkytype
how does leaving it in gear stop the car from rolling? (yes noob)
Engine compression. Try this.

Go to a parking lot and find a level place where your car will not coast in any direction. Do not use your emergency brake while doing this little test.

Put your transmission in 5th gear, or 6th gear, then get out and try to push it from the back (easier than the front). With a good deal of effort, your car will most likely move.

Now put the transmission in first gear and do this again. You are not going to be able to move the car.

The reason for this is because from the perspective of the engine, first gear is a very high gear and 5th or 6th gear is a very low gear. It's in reverse of the perspective of the car (or driver). Think of how pulleys work like you probably studied in grade school. The engine's compression will hold the car in the lower gears much better than in the higher gears.

You can also do this in a parking lot with a little bit of an incline. Park the car on the incline and just use first gear to hold it. Then try this with 6th gear and the car will most likely start to move.. if the incline is enough.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

I've been driving before any of you were born. I have only owned one automatic for my own personal driving machine and the only reason I bought that one was because I thought I was going to tow a boat with it. Wound up towing with my wife's car.

From my first car on, I have always used first gear when the car was parked along with the emergency brake, just for the reasons our OP unfortunately found out about the hard way. It's just as natural as breathing. Come to a stop, turn the engine off. Engage the parking brake. Slip the tranny into first.

And here's something you should all try to adopt. Do NOT pull you emergency brake up any more than needed to hold your car where it happens to be at a given spot. This helps to reduce adjustments and greatly increases cable life as well as other components (of course, this assumes you will be using first gear as well). And if on an incline and you have the choice of parking forwards or backwards, park forwards. The brake will always hold better when the car is facing downward.

BTW, watch the age jokes. I'll come to you homes and piss on your dogs.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Race Director

Hehe, you're so old, by the time you got here, you'd forget what you came for!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:40 AM

Don't forget the turning your wheels in toward the curb so if anything were to happen it would lessen the distance traveled and damage done.

How old ARE you Southernboy?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:45 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
damn that sucks man...

everything will comeout for the positive!!!

GL
Old 01-14-2010, 10:00 AM
LUV MY 2007 CBP TLS

Don't have a 6mt this time around but when i did i always keep it in gear for the same reason of what happened to OP but another good reason is a anti theft. if the car is in gear they can't tow it away, since the front and back wheels are locked...yes they can put it on a flat bed but they will have to force it on there so they can't do it to quickly...
Old 01-14-2010, 10:03 AM
LUV MY 2007 CBP TLS

BTW OP my heart bleeds for you but all you 6MT guys should always put it in gear and make a habit of it...if you make a habit of putting it in gear; youls make a habit of it removing it from gear when you are starting it up
Old 01-14-2010, 10:05 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
just wondering can you just leave it in 3rd or 4th? or does it have to be first? I am still pretty new to this. I pull e-brake + put it in gear even on flat surface.
No it doesn't. First or Reverse are best as they give the engine the most leverage over the wheels (most engine braking). Same when you drive. Coasting in 6th gear gives little to no engine braking while 1st gives tons.

FYI:

Use reverse when there is a chance of the car rolling backwards. Use 1st when there is a chance of the car rolling forwards. This will keep the engine from spinning backwards in the event the parking brake does fail and allows the car to roll. Should the engine spin backwards, your chances of the timing belt skipping a tooth are greatly increased. The timing belt tensioner is designed to work only when the motor spins in the proper direction (due to the force required to compress the valve springs).

BTW:

While it is true that the parking brake is self adjusting, this function will NOT be able to compensate for a parking brake lever that is already out of adjustment. When I bought my TL (used), the parking brake handle would easily max out, yet it could barely hold the car on a hill. After getting hold of the OEM shop manual, I found adjusting the parking brake lever to be an extremely easy process.

The following users liked this post:
TL_Trell (08-26-2015)
Old 01-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Race Director

Good info. I think there's about 30 of us who will be doing this adjustment this weekend

About how many turns, do you remember?

My P-brake seems to hold just fine. However, I'm going to do this anyhow, especially since I now have the remote start and need to leave it in neutral if I want to use the remote start.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Props on your positive attitude about the whole thing. I'm glad nobody was hurt, and hope you get your car back as good as new.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Engine compression. Try this.

Go to a parking lot and find a level place where your car will not coast in any direction. Do not use your emergency brake while doing this little test.

Put your transmission in 5th gear, or 6th gear, then get out and try to push it from the back (easier than the front). With a good deal of effort, your car will most likely move.

Now put the transmission in first gear and do this again. You are not going to be able to move the car.

The reason for this is because from the perspective of the engine, first gear is a very high gear and 5th or 6th gear is a very low gear. It's in reverse of the perspective of the car (or driver). Think of how pulleys work like you probably studied in grade school. The engine's compression will hold the car in the lower gears much better than in the higher gears.

You can also do this in a parking lot with a little bit of an incline. Park the car on the incline and just use first gear to hold it. Then try this with 6th gear and the car will most likely start to move.. if the incline is enough.
Ok gentlemen, I made a mistake here and shame on me because I do know better. So here is the correction.

Let's just say that first gear has a 3.00:1 ratio and your car's final drive ratio is also 3.00:1. That means that your drive wheels will make one complete revolution for every nine revolutions of your engine. The equates to torque multiplication and is why first gear feels so good when accelerating. However, from the perspective of the drive wheels, they have a super load on them because this final gear ratio is just the opposite and works out to 1.00:9. This is why you want to use first gear as a safety mechanism to hold your car along with the E-brake.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

Hehe, you're so old, by the time you got here, you'd forget what you came for!
I'm coming to piss on your dog (heh, heh). But hey, you're probably right what with the stupid error I made on one of my posts here.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 94eg!
No it doesn't. First or Reverse are best as they give the engine the most leverage over the wheels (most engine braking). Same when you drive. Coasting in 6th gear gives little to no engine braking while 1st gives tons.

FYI:

Use reverse when there is a chance of the car rolling backwards. Use 1st when there is a chance of the car rolling forwards. This will keep the engine from spinning backwards in the event the parking brake does fail and allows the car to roll. Should the engine spin backwards, your chances of the timing belt skipping a tooth are greatly increased. The timing belt tensioner is designed to work only when the motor spins in the proper direction (due to the force required to compress the valve springs).

BTW:

While it is true that the parking brake is self adjusting, this function will NOT be able to compensate for a parking brake lever that is already out of adjustment. When I bought my TL (used), the parking brake handle would easily max out, yet it could barely hold the car on a hill. After getting hold of the OEM shop manual, I found adjusting the parking brake lever to be an extremely easy process.

Listen to him.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Don't forget the turning your wheels in toward the curb so if anything were to happen it would lessen the distance traveled and damage done.

How old ARE you Southernboy?
Ok, please understand that I AM a bit sensitive about my age. It's not that I'm afraid of anything. It's just that I'm more like a 24 year old caught in an older person's body. Mentally, I still enjoy the same things I did in my youth.

I'll be 64 this month. I'm told by most that I look like I'm in my later 40's.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Pro

I hear alcohol preserves. I'll try that.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:54 PM

Funny enough...my Dad is always saying he doesn't feel old and he doesn't care about age...till January 4th...when he turned 60. For some reason I think that hit him. I'm only 30 but that age hit me like a ton of bricks for whatever reason. Maybe because I'm not married and no kids and my friends are starting too. I act like a teenager and can still hang around them without a problem so I bet I will feel the same way when I'm 64.

You're on forums and into car modding and talking with younger people so you'll stay young for years to come!

PS...whoever asked how many turns to adjust the ebrake...just tighten it up and test when you pull. When I had done that it was perfect...now, halfway pulled basically makes the car STAY!
Old 01-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,458 Likes on 4,979 Posts

I usually rely on the e-brake. Ill probably be keeping it in first (or reverse depending on how its parked) as well for now on.

It sucks to see this happen, but it does happen. Im happy you got away relatively unscathed. The damage, or potential injuries, couldve been much worse.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The service manual says that the parking brake should be fully engaged at 7-9 clicks. Mine goes to 18 to the last click. If it is one click less than 18 that bitch will roll! It needs to be adjusted badly.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:38 PM

Mine was like that too...all the way up and it would still move. Do it!
Old 01-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Ran in to take a piss.. Ran out to take a shit.

$3500 isn't bad for that unibody damage.. GL on the repairs.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Funny enough...my Dad is always saying he doesn't feel old and he doesn't care about age...till January 4th...when he turned 60. For some reason I think that hit him. I'm only 30 but that age hit me like a ton of bricks for whatever reason. Maybe because I'm not married and no kids and my friends are starting too. I act like a teenager and can still hang around them without a problem so I bet I will feel the same way when I'm 64.

You're on forums and into car modding and talking with younger people so you'll stay young for years to come!

PS...whoever asked how many turns to adjust the ebrake...just tighten it up and test when you pull. When I had done that it was perfect...now, halfway pulled basically makes the car STAY!
Well thank you, I appreciate that. My wife thinks I'm nuts because of my age sensitivity. She says since I don't look it, and I certainly don't act it, I shouldn't be concerned. She's probably right. But it's funny. When you look out of your own eyes to what is playing out in front of you, at that moment you really don't have any concept of age. I still like cars and guns and boats and rock 'n roll, and I still have a wild sense of humor.. sometimes to the embarrassment of my wife and daughters.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:41 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Phambam12
i like ur front grill
Thanks! Search my name for the DIY if you want to do it to yours.

Originally Posted by Bender
Yea, If your on any kind of incline you always put it in gear. As my parents learned when I was 4 and I released the parking brake on the work van and it rolled into traffic.

Whoa, 172k? That's a lot of driving. I think i have 46k on my 05. Will insurance cover it?
Insurance will cover it. It has 172k and the car looks like it has less than 30k. Why I have full collision.

Originally Posted by alexSU
Geez Jon sorry to see this happening to your beloved TL! Everyone has those moments where you just leave the brake and forget to put it in gear. I hope you'll be up and running in no time!

Let me know if you need a ride or something for work, I'll be happy to drive down to FL or NY lol make a road trip out of it.
Thanks Alex! I'm off to Columbus, GA and then to Nashville, TN and who knows where else. The TL will be in the shop all week so I hope to get a decent car for the 1500 mile work week.

Originally Posted by Red Voodoo
Damn... beat me to it.

I've had that happen before with one of the Miatas I owned. Fortunately, it didn't result in any damage to the car. Man... I cannot imagine that sick feeling in your gut that you had when you walked out of the restroom, didn't see your car, and then saw where it was at.
It was an outerbody experience!! I went numb and almost went down. I felt like it was a bad dream and then I woke up and realized it was all real!

Living in Florida I've never had to worry about this...well, not for the most part. But yeah, I never leave it in gear either.

Sorry this happened to you. I will say that when I got my car...I used to pull the ebrake ALL the way up and when I would get something from my trunk in my driveway, if I leaned even a little on the car it would move. When I took out the center console to do an install I tightened up the two 14MM (or 12MM?) that connect the cable and it's been MUCH better now. I think you should do that...because now, when I click it up like 7 or 8 clicks...the car doesn't move at all even if I push it on an incline.

Good luck man...how much is your deductible? Would they consider this comp? or collision? I keep mine low...comp 100 ded. and coll 200. I figure I have control of one of them.
500 deductable and it is my fault so collision. Sucks and as Bender said "noob move"

Exactly what I had and that is why I never left it in gear. I installed remote starts and alarms in the past so I put one in my brand new 2000 civic SI. I always kept in neutral since then. Those days are long over!!! I put one in my friends truck and he started it in gear. It started and ran right into the street and hit a tree. He ripped it out and that was the last time, I will use one in a manual trans. We could have gotten in a lot of trouble if someone was killed.

Originally Posted by TonemanTLS
BTW OP my heart bleeds for you but all you 6MT guys should always put it in gear and make a habit of it...if you make a habit of putting it in gear; youls make a habit of it removing it from gear when you are starting it up
Thanks man. The car is in my garage as I type and it is fixable. My damage could have been so bad, I would have never gotten my car back...I'm lucky!

Originally Posted by kubr1ck
Props on your positive attitude about the whole thing. I'm glad nobody was hurt, and hope you get your car back as good as new.
Negative people never get anywhere in life. Gotta look at the positive things to everything in life. Life's too short to be a dumb stuck up dick.

Ok, please understand that I AM a bit sensitive about my age. It's not that I'm afraid of anything. It's just that I'm more like a 24 year old caught in an older person's body. Mentally, I still enjoy the same things I did in my youth.

I'll be 64 this month. I'm told by most that I look like I'm in my later 40's.
Southernboy, thanks for adding great advice in this thread. I respect you at your age and I know have to say sorry for my other thread back in the day with my rap music and me getting on your case about the nothern transplants like me. My dad is your age and now that I know that, it all makes sense. Sorry for acting like a young yankee.

Originally Posted by Majofo
Ran in to take a piss.. Ran out to take a shit.

$3500 isn't bad for that unibody damage.. GL on the repairs.
Now that was a funny quote. You hit the nail on the head.

Well thank you, I appreciate that. My wife thinks I'm nuts because of my age sensitivity. She says since I don't look it, and I certainly don't act it, I shouldn't be concerned. She's probably right. But it's funny. When you look out of your own eyes to what is playing out in front of you, at that moment you really don't have any concept of age. I still like cars and guns and boats and rock 'n roll, and I still have a wild sense of humor.. sometimes to the embarrassment of my wife and daughters.

When I brought the car to the shop to get the estimate. The guy went to read the odometer and he almost fell over. He said, I thought this car was a new low milage car. You have got to have the cleanest high milage car I've ever seen. I felt good about that!
Old 01-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Good luck with the repairs I'd love to see it when you get the car back. Who are you using for the repairs?
Old 01-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by mmade22
... I put one in my friends truck and he started it in gear. It started and ran right into the street and hit a tree. He ripped it out and that was the last time, I will use one in a manual trans. We could have gotten in a lot of trouble if someone was killed....
That can't happen with the new remote starts that are designed for MT. The sequence to activate the RS requires you to put it in neutral and then set the P-brake before you get out of the car:

With engine still running, shift to N, press and hold brake pedal, set P-brake, release brake pedal. Push a button on the remote within 15 seconds. Turn the key off and remove key, car keeps running. Exit the car. Push the lock button. The RS CPU locks the doors, shuts off engine, and arms alarm/RS.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

To mmade22;

"Southernboy, thanks for adding great advice in this thread. I respect you at your age and I know have to say sorry for my other thread back in the day with my rap music and me getting on your case about the nothern transplants like me. My dad is your age and now that I know that, it all makes sense. Sorry for acting like a young yankee."

We're cool I'm sure. How do you like Charlotte? My youngest daughter's husband was there for a week for some class and was quite excited about it. Got my little girl all fired up about maybe moving down there. So how is it? And I like the heat. Hell, it gets hot in the summer where I live, too.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Race Director

No it doesn't. First or Reverse are best as they give the engine the most leverage over the wheels (most engine braking).
Use reverse when there is a chance of the car rolling backwards. Use 1st when there is a chance of the car rolling forwards. This will keep the engine from spinning backwards in the event the parking brake does fail and allows the car to roll....
Interesting note: The service manual recommends putting it in reverse when jacking the rear of the car....That kind of surprised me...
Old 01-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Race Director

Just did this. My pads are original (84,000 miles) and I've never adjusted the P-brake (major or minor). I'd say I tightened that nut by about 8 full turns (a good 1/3 of an inch).

FYI, the nut is 12mm and you'll need a deep socket. I found it easier to remove the two screws at the bottom of the compartment and lift the rear of the console to get to the nut. I really notice the difference in the lever travel now.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:31 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
Just did this. My pads are original (84,000 miles) and I've never adjusted the P-brake (major or minor). I'd say I tightened that nut by about 8 full turns (a good 1/3 of an inch).
Our cars don't use the rear brake pads for the e-brake. Your e-brake is a drum located inside the rotor hat with separate brake shoes. These should pretty much be good for the life of the car since they are only used to hold a stationary car and will never wear out. If your parking brake isn't holding, it's a bad adjustment from the factory, or perhaps the cables are stretching/breaking-in...

EVERYONE GO ADJUST YOUR PARKING BRAKE LEVER!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 07:13 AM

Yeah, after you do it you realize how "not tight" it really was! Post before mine...thanks for that little tidbit, nice to know that once it's adjusted you'll probably never have to do it again. I was lucky and had the center off anyway and I just by chance figured I'd tighten up the nut and I ended up being right.

Southernboy...no problemo man. Don't sweat the age...life is short and goes by fast no matter what. If you're still smiling and enjoying your hobbies then you're doing something right. Wow, about the embarrassing your family...the more you write, the more you actually sound like my Dad. Anyway...I'm sure I'll be the same way.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, after you do it you realize how "not tight" it really was! Post before mine...thanks for that little tidbit, nice to know that once it's adjusted you'll probably never have to do it again. I was lucky and had the center off anyway and I just by chance figured I'd tighten up the nut and I ended up being right.

Southernboy...no problemo man. Don't sweat the age...life is short and goes by fast no matter what. If you're still smiling and enjoying your hobbies then you're doing something right. Wow, about the embarrassing your family...the more you write, the more you actually sound like my Dad. Anyway...I'm sure I'll be the same way.
Thanks much.

I have a few favorite sayings of my own. One is, "Ignorance is its own reward". And the other is "If you can't laugh, what good are you anyway".

Now I'm going to get a little serious here.

There is something else that comes with aging and that is you learn to see things in a difference light. I don't mean this to say that you give up beliefs you've held for many years, though some do. But let's just say you tend to mellow a bit. You realize that whatever you try to do, it's all going to come to an end for you at some point. So making your peace with God, family, and yourself can go a long way in easing your mind and making you a better person.

Quick Reply: 6MT owners....ALWAYS leave the car parked in gear, otherwise this can happen!!