Sponsored by:

6 speed manual...??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 09:26 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
6 speed manual...??

So I just took delivery of my '05 TL NBP/Ebony 6M w/out nav. and can say it's my 1st 4 door vehicle, upgraded from a '02 RSX-S which I enjoyed every one of the 40K miles I put on it, excuse me let me say hi to you all , this is my 1st post...
Now the only "thing" I found when I took delivery was a missing rubber stop that was missing from the center console, other than that I'm happy with this big boy, but I'm still having a hard time shifting without looking at the tach since in all my previous Hondas I could hear the engine rev up so I shifted when I hit VTEC but before redlining, this makes me wonder if I should have taken a automatic instead , anyone here has the same problem and so how do you deal with it...
HEK aka Hector

Old 03-24-2005, 09:36 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations Hector. You'll get used to it. The gas is also operated by "drive by wire" and the clutch engages midway and not at top of release as in other cars. Did not get you what you meant by rubber stop on the console. Nice color btw.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:33 PM
HEK

Originally Posted by JoganJani
Welcome to the forum and congratulations Hector. You'll get used to it. The gas is also operated by "drive by wire" and the clutch engages midway and not at top of release as in other cars. Did not get you what you meant by rubber stop on the console. Nice color btw.
Thanks for the reply and welcome, there are 4 little miniature rubber stops on both sides of the middle console / arm rest that basically cushion the covers when you close each level, two for the bottom portion and 2 for top cover....I'm getting this one done by the dealer, lol..they said 20 minutes and I laughed since it woulkd take me a second to push thru a rubber stop thru a 1/8" hole and done deal....but ...leave it for them to back charge warranty work back to Honda...go figure...
Old 03-24-2005, 11:35 PM
Its all about Hockey !!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yo HEK.. i know exactly what u mean.. I got mine NBP/Ebony/6MT in Nov last year and still find myself looking at tach once in a while.

If the music is playing, I can't hear the engine.. if windows are down I can't hear the engine..

Like Jogan said.. you will get more feel for it with time..

enjoy you brand spankin' new car
Old 03-25-2005, 06:41 AM
HEK

Originally Posted by slavka
yo HEK.. i know exactly what u mean.. I got mine NBP/Ebony/6MT in Nov last year and still find myself looking at tach once in a while.

If the music is playing, I can't hear the engine.. if windows are down I can't hear the engine..

Like Jogan said.. you will get more feel for it with time..

enjoy you brand spankin' new car
I'm glad is not just me, since I graduated High Schooll (1977) all my cars have been standard, some on the column, 4 and 5 speeds on the floor, 5 speeds on the dash, six speeds....you name it I drove it but I can say that I need to master this vehicle for my own piece of mind, I'm even considering getting an Injen CAI so that I can actually hear the engine.... , but on the other hand I'm also enjoying the quietness , sometimes creepy...lol
Old 03-25-2005, 07:40 AM
Burning Brakes

hi HEK,
Welcome to the forum. If you install Comptech Exhaust, you won't have that problem anymore as you can hear every rev
Old 03-25-2005, 08:04 AM
Racer

You'll get used to it, it's like that with any new car. And the weird part about your post is that I noticed last week after owning my car for over a year and a half, that I was missing that little rubber stop as well. I wonder if they'll just give me another one or if I'll have to pay $15 for it.

Good luck and congrats on joining us die hards who want to shift for ourselves!!
Old 03-25-2005, 08:34 AM
Advanced

I had the same problem with shifting when I first got mine also. My previous car was a vtec prelude....loud and wound pretty tight compared to the TL. I had to get used to the 6 speed as well. Also, sometimes when slowing down I would forget to downshift because this car coasts more like an automatic and has a wider power band. Drive by wire throttle took a little getting used to as well.

Just give it a little time. You'll get used to it. Soon you will be shreddin' through the gears like I'm sure you did in your RSX-s.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:17 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you drive stick you now what you should do. and

Good luck and congrats on joining us die hards who want to shift for ourselves!!
Old 03-25-2005, 08:39 PM
Cruisin'

05 TL NBP/Ebony 6M w/out nav. and can say it's my 1st 4 door vehicle, upgraded from a '02 RSX-S
I made the same move, except I had a 03 RSX-S with Comptech and Mugen goodies. The TL is very nice and full of luxury but I miss the backroads fun I had with the RSX-S. Your right about the VTEC sounds though, in the TL its very easy to hit the rev limiter..in the RSX-S you knew from the engine sound when to shift. I just test drove an 05 RSX-S and its vastly improved...no second gear notch.
I know it sounds weird, but I may go to a used 350Z or perhaps a new 05 RSX-S. The TL is a super touring car, but I find that I keep driving like a small sports coupe, and it does not like that at all. On the open road and long trips with XM playing the TL is the best buy for the money out there. I may have learned an expensive lesson, but so what....
Old 03-26-2005, 08:30 PM
HEK

Originally Posted by bayTL
I made the same move, except I had a 03 RSX-S with Comptech and Mugen goodies. The TL is very nice and full of luxury but I miss the backroads fun I had with the RSX-S. Your right about the VTEC sounds though, in the TL its very easy to hit the rev limiter..in the RSX-S you knew from the engine sound when to shift. I just test drove an 05 RSX-S and its vastly improved...no second gear notch.
I know it sounds weird, but I may go to a used 350Z or perhaps a new 05 RSX-S. The TL is a super touring car, but I find that I keep driving like a small sports coupe, and it does not like that at all. On the open road and long trips with XM playing the TL is the best buy for the money out there. I may have learned an expensive lesson, but so what....
I find myself driving faster than when I had my RSX-S on the highway but drive like an old lady when on back roads...go figure....

Originally Posted by SLVR04TL6PD
You'll get used to it, it's like that with any new car. And the weird part about your post is that I noticed last week after owning my car for over a year and a half, that I was missing that little rubber stop as well. I wonder if they'll just give me another one or if I'll have to pay $15 for it.

I missed my appointment today.. , but the dealer will install one "thingie" as soon as I make another appointment....

Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt
hi HEK,
Welcome to the forum. If you install Comptech Exhaust, you won't have that problem anymore as you can hear every rev
...lol, Thanks for the advise but really, I'm done modding vehicles for a while and an exhaust so early in the game....I think I may need to spend more time behind the wheel rather than spen more money on this already expensive vehicle....
I like your avatar..... ....in a friendly way...