3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5spd AT or 6spd MT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 03:39 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to beat a dead horse but if Acura did not offer a MT I'd opt for an Honda Odyssey Touring before I'd even consider an AT TL.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by hondafan
Not to beat a dead horse but if Acura did not offer a MT I'd opt for an Honda Odyssey Touring before I'd even consider an AT TL.
Amen. There would be no TL in my garage for my personal use had they not offered a manual transmission. Plenty of other great choices out there were this the case. The new Ford Mustang comes to mind right away, not to mention the CTS-V Cadillac.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by clausda0
I think its interesting that a lot of the owners on this website have the Manual, despite how rare it is, and for me, more complicated to purchase.
In my area, manual TLs are rather common. I suspect it's because (to use a term of a former worker friend) there are a lot of "yuppie scum" in this area who buy cars for badges. Incidently, this former worker friend has a 5-car heated garage with lifts for him to prep his M3 that he races and Ferrari that his wife races.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Brettg
I have seen quotes of 3/4 second faster 0-60 mph, mostly due to the much lower gearing the 6MT has.
100 pound weight difference, LSD, lower gearing, some slight extra power loss
in the auto trans, but I think the gear ratio, extra gear, and LSD are the big things.

I think in an actual race, most AT guys would thake the 6MT guys, how many people practice taking off at full speed?
Plus, its easy to surprise a 6MT driver, while all the AT guy has to do is mash the gas pedal down.

Brett
Hey there, Brett. Actually, the automatic has a far lower final drive than does the manual (4.428 vs our 3.285). But when you multiply the first gear ratios of both cars with there respective final drives, you get 12.9199 for the manual and 11.341275 for the automatic - advantage = manual. The real difference in all of this is the direct connection between the driveshaft and the drive wheels with a manual once full clutch engagement is realized. You don't get this with an automatic since you are using pumps and forcing fluids, so there is a parasitic power loss. This fact also exhibits itself in the feeling one gets in the small of the back when light applications of throttle are added.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe I am mixing up my terms, I thought the auto trans TL got its good gas mileage (same as the manual trans) by having the motor spin less at the same speed in top gear.

I thought I read someplace that the auto trans TL had the motor spinning a few hundred rpm lower at 70 mph then the manual does.

They have to do something to make up for the auto trans loss, yet the auto and manual get the exact same mpg...

The auto trans also locks up the torque converter, not sure about the TL but many cars (like the passat) locked it in each gear except when the trans was shifting.

Brett
Old 03-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Brettg
Maybe I am mixing up my terms, I thought the auto trans TL got its good gas mileage (same as the manual trans) by having the motor spin less at the same speed in top gear.

I thought I read someplace that the auto trans TL had the motor spinning a few hundred rpm lower at 70 mph then the manual does.

They have to do something to make up for the auto trans loss, yet the auto and manual get the exact same mpg...

The auto trans also locks up the torque converter, not sure about the TL but many cars (like the passat) locked it in each gear except when the trans was shifting.

Brett
You're right about an automatic TL's engine turning fewer RPMs than the manual when in the highest gear. For example, at 60 MPH, the manual's engine turns 2000 RPM in 6th gear while the automatic turns a little more than 1700 RPM at the same speed. But the manual tends to deliver better fuel economy than does the automatic at these speeds. I suspect it's because when a bit of a hill is encountered, the automatic will downshift whereas the manual.. is a manual.

Anyway, there is more parasitic loss with the automatic versus the manual.