Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5AT delay shifting into R or D--normal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 10:57 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5AT delay shifting into R or D--normal?

Have a 2005 5AT with about 11,000 miles on it. There is a noticeable delay, probably about a full second, between moving the shift lever into R or D and the transmission engaging. Seems to have been like this since new. I've always been pretty careful about bringing the car to a complete stop before moving the shift lever, and I don't step on the gas until the transmission engages, as I've always assumed such behavior is hard on the transmission. But combined with this delay, it literally alters driving, for example: shift from park into R.... must consciously wait....engages, back up, stop, shift from R into D....consciously wait again....engages, drive away. I haven't driven many automatics in my life, but this seems to have the longest delay of any car I've driven.

Is this normal?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ntaylor
Have a 2005 5AT with about 11,000 miles on it. There is a noticeable delay, probably about a full second, between moving the shift lever into R or D and the transmission engaging. Seems to have been like this since new. I've always been pretty careful about bringing the car to a complete stop before moving the shift lever, and I don't step on the gas until the transmission engages, as I've always assumed such behavior is hard on the transmission. But combined with this delay, it literally alters driving, for example: shift from park into R.... must consciously wait....engages, back up, stop, shift from R into D....consciously wait again....engages, drive away. I haven't driven many automatics in my life, but this seems to have the longest delay of any car I've driven.

Is this normal?
seems normal for the car, mine acts the same way. i've actually tested the "limits" of this and given it some gas before it engages. it seems to automatically ease into drive when you do this, like you would with a manual clutch. it's kinda neat, the car is pretty "smart." i don't treat it like that on a regular basis, but it's good to know if i slip up the car won't.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Dad's 05 TL has about 20,000 miles on it now and it does the same thing. We too thought that there was something wrong with it but the dealer said that it was fine. No worries.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:51 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I asked the same question when I first bought the car. I think the answer I got was something about the drive by wire system that causes this. It was most noticeable when I was facing downward and put it in R, expecting the car to start moving backwards. Instead, the car started to move downward until the transmission engaged, at which point it started to idle backwards (uphill).
Old 08-23-2005, 07:42 PM
Advanced

Coolio, thanks all.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:03 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine does the same... not a big deal. I've felt it a few times when shifting into D from R while rolling/backing out of a parking spot.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:16 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
I was told the delay was built in so when shifting from Park to Drive it won't try to shift into Reverse before going into Drive is you move the lever a little slowly saving wear and tear on your tranny..
Old 08-24-2005, 01:28 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thought I would chime in too...
My 04 5AT has done this since new also. Is it completely normal? We may never know.
I know several old school master tranny mechanics that would probably say NOT.. But, todays vehicles/transmissions/drive by wire etc. are obviously different than the same of the past.

Either way, each dealer service dept will probably result in you getting a different "story". Most I would laugh at.
I myself don't think it's right/optimum for the trans to have this delay/characteristic, but like others, I have adjusted my driving style accordingly.

Only time/mileage will tell if it's going to present a problem. I can honestly say the amount of delay has not changed a bit in my TL from day one - a good sign. Nor has the transmission/fluid shown any signs of slipping or burning.

Just my thoughts folks.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like everyone else here, I have the same characteristic with mine. Between the slow to react Drive By Wire throttle and the delay, I've had to relearn how to start the car on a hill. I still get caught off guard when I hit the accerator and the car "delays" before pulling away while on a hill which can be a bit unnerving as you roll backwards. But yes, the deal between shifting into R and D is new to me. My 97 Camry never did this and I now simply wait that extra second before releasing the brake.

dsc888