3rd and 4th gear pressure switches

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015 | 07:16 PM
Intermediate

3rd and 4th gear pressure switches

I spoke to the service department a my local acura dealership and inquired about the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches. He said he had never heard of such a thing. I would assume he would know what I was talking about since I believe I have heard of them discussed in this forum. Or am I wrong about the name completely? Also should this worry me thato he has never heard of pressure switches? Thanks
Old 11-09-2015 | 08:00 PM
Life Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Cheesehead20
I spoke to the service department a my local acura dealership and inquired about the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches. He said he had never heard of such a thing. I would assume he would know what I was talking about since I believe I have heard of them discussed in this forum. Or am I wrong about the name completely? Also should this worry me thato he has never heard of pressure switches? Thanks

You stated it right, and it would concern me if he had never heard of them. Local folks have surely purchased them from their parts department before and inquiring the service (sales) team the same.

If you talked to him, then he's gained enough car knowledge to be in a speaking position with the public.

Just order them and do it yourself, takes like 30 minutes to install.
Old 11-09-2015 | 08:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MonkeyTrucker
You stated it right, and it would concern me if he had never heard of them. Local folks have surely purchased them from their parts department before and inquiring the service (sales) team the same.

If you talked to him, then he's gained enough car knowledge to be in a speaking position with the public.

Just order them and do it yourself, takes like 30 minutes to install.
I'm sorry if this has been covered before but how often should these be changed? Have an 05 120k miles.
Old 11-09-2015 | 08:30 PM
Life Connoisseur

It's more of an under the table thing discussed on this website, there's no official maintenance period regarding these.

You'd likely be better off replacing your transmission mounts with that mileage in all honesty. That will see a difference in shifting more than replacing these did, at least for me.

Don't fret over the tranny failing, enjoy your car and perform the outlined recommended maintenance in your owner's manual. I'll let others chime in on 3x3s.
Old 11-09-2015 | 08:33 PM
Intermediate

It's more of an under the table thing discussed on this website, there's no official maintenance period regarding these.

You'd likely be better off replacing your transmission mounts with that mileage in all honesty. That will see a difference in shifting more than replacing these did, at least for me.

Don't fret over the tranny failing, enjoy your car and perform the outlined recommended maintenance in your owner's manual. I'll let others chime in on 3x3s.
Thanks it shifts fine I just want to perform it as a preventative measure. If they do indeed wear out if that is the correct terminology what would be the consequences to the transmission?
Old 11-09-2015 | 08:35 PM
Life Connoisseur

I'd order them and add them to your to-do list.

Peace of mind is what you seek.

I thought my transmission shifted fine as well, after replacing the mounts (all three), it shifts much finer.

I noticed zilch after replacing the pressure switches.
Old 11-09-2015 | 08:37 PM
Intermediate

I'd order them and add them to your to-do list.

Peace of mind is what you seek.

I thought my transmission shifted fine as well, after replacing the mounts (all three), it shifts much finer.

I noticed zilch after replacing the pressure switches.
How much of the transmission must you access to replace the switches?
Old 11-09-2015 | 08:39 PM
Life Connoisseur

Real easy if you have a cold air intake installed. Otherwise they're both easily accessible with the front driver's side tire removed.
Old 11-09-2015 | 08:41 PM
Intermediate

Real easy if you have a cold air intake installed. Otherwise they're both easily accessible with the front driver's side tire removed.
So presumably I could do this myself with no previous mechanical experience? I appreciate your patience in answering my questions.
Old 11-09-2015 | 08:41 PM
Life Connoisseur

If you have an 04-06 the part #s are:
28610-rke-004
28600-rke-004

You can do this by yourself, might as well change the transmission filter while you're at it.

You'll have enough left over to buy a cold air intake in comparisons to letting the dealer do this for you.
Old 11-09-2015 | 08:43 PM
Intermediate

If you have an 04-06 the part #s are:
28610-rke-004
28600-rke-004

You can do this by yourself, might as well change the transmission filter while you're at it.

You'll have enough left over to buy a cold air intake in comparisons to letting the dealer do this for you.
How many should I order?
Old 11-09-2015 | 08:43 PM
Life Connoisseur

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...729149/page16/

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem.../#post15318910

Read up on the OP of the DIY, the other thread clarifies the new part numbers I've already given you.

The job requires one of each, assuming you have a 04-06 automatic TL. Do you?
Old 11-09-2015 | 08:45 PM
Intermediate

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...729149/page16/

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem.../#post15318910

Read up on the OP of the DIY, the other thread clarifies the new part numbers I've already given you.

The job requires one of each, assuming you have a 04-06 automatic TL. Do you?
Yes
Old 11-09-2015 | 08:49 PM
Intermediate

Yes
So I safety can assume they haven't been changed based on my experience with talking to my local dealership?
Old 11-09-2015 | 09:00 PM
Life Connoisseur

I would safely assume only members here have changed theirs. Again, it is not something an Acura dealership would perform as part of regular maintenance...ever. Nor would they bring it up on a multi-point inspection. If they've heard of it, it's likely come from this website.
Old 11-09-2015 | 09:03 PM
Intermediate

I would safely assume only members here have changed theirs. Again, it is not something an Acura dealership would perform as part of regular maintenance...ever. Nor would they bring it up on a multi-point inspection. If they've heard of it, it's likely come from this website.
It's seems rather strange that this is a preventative measure to keep the transmission from failing but they don't know about it. That is my understanding of their importance. Am I wrong in questioning this?
Old 11-09-2015 | 09:06 PM
Life Connoisseur

I'd assume no Acura TL owner has had these replaced if they're also not a member here.

To redirect your concern about your transmission, I'd again encourage you to replace your transmission mounts with that mileage. These are pics of mine, with similar mileage, and when I felt my transmission was shifting fine.

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 11-09-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-09-2015 | 09:08 PM
Intermediate

I'd assume no Acura TL owner has had these replaced if they're also not a member here.

To redirect your concern about your transmission, I'd again encourage you to replace your transmission mounts with that mileage. These are pics of mine, with similar mileage, an when I felt my transmission was shifting fine.

Excuse my lack of mechanical expertise but we're they broken?
Old 11-09-2015 | 09:09 PM
Life Connoisseur

It's seems rather strange that this is a preventative measure to keep the transmission from failing but they don't know about it. That is my understanding of their importance. Am I wrong in questioning this?
A user on here, I believe it was IHateCars, had a discussion about the transmissions with someone. It became lore on here to change them on occasion, there is no interval outlined by Acura and if you were to call them, they'd be just as puzzled as your service adviser was.

There is no guarantee that this will prevent any damage to any transmission.

Why are you so concerned about your transmission? If it's not giving you trouble and you do perform the outlined maintenance schedule for the transmission...go enjoy your car.

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 11-09-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-09-2015 | 09:11 PM
Life Connoisseur

Excuse my lack of mechanical expertise but we're they broken?
Yeah, three mounts and four pieces, you just figured out why you should change yours...

Again something you should be able to tackle on your own.
Old 11-09-2015 | 09:11 PM
Intermediate

A user on here, I believe it was IHateCars that had a discussion about the transmissions with someone. It became lore on here to change them on occasion, there is no interval outlined by Acura and if you were to call them, they'd be just as puzzled as your service adviser was.

Why are you so concerned about your transmission? If it's not giving you trouble and you do perform the outlined maintenance schedule for the transmission...go enjoy your car.
I just don't have the money for a rebuild or a new transmission whayever the case may be.
Old 11-09-2015 | 09:15 PM
Intermediate

A user on here, I believe it was IHateCars, had a discussion about the transmissions with someone. It became lore on here to change them on occasion, there is no interval outlined by Acura and if you were to call them, they'd be just as puzzled as your service adviser was.

Well it's nice to know the vast majority of tl owners have not replaced them and no problems have surfaced as a result.
Old 11-09-2015 | 09:16 PM
Life Connoisseur

Why are you concerned with a rebuild...

Is your transmission giving you any signs of trouble?

Most all of the individuals that performed the 3rd and 4th gear switches swear by a before/after difference, maybe they had tranny issues, I dunno. I changed them at 105,000 miles and noticed ZERO difference.

I changed my mounts and noticed 100% difference in what I thought was already fine shifts.
Old 11-09-2015 | 09:19 PM
Intermediate

Most all of the individuals that performed the 3rd and 4th gear switches swear by a before/after difference, maybe they had tranny issues, I dunno. I changed them at 105,000 miles and noticed ZERO difference.
Not really. Only thing is 1still to 2nd shift is a little jerky unless I rev to 3k rpms bit it appears this is expected as the tranny needs to be driven a bit harder if what I've heard is correct.
Old 11-09-2015 | 09:22 PM
Intermediate

I changed my mounts and noticed 100% difference in what I thought was already fine shifts.
I guess reading a forum brings out problems with the vehicle in greater percentages that a person becomes aware of. In the grand scheme of things transmission failure is rare on 3rd gens since I see 4 or 5 a day.
Old 11-09-2015 | 09:31 PM
Life Connoisseur

Yeah, just enjoy your car and listen to it when it talks to you, maintain it and it'll last a long time

Extra word of advice, check you dipstick regularly, at least once a week, there is no low oil warning in these cars. Most discover this when VTEC stops kicking in.
Old 11-09-2015 | 09:38 PM
Intermediate

Yeah, just enjoy your car and listen to it when it talks to you, maintain it and it'll last a long time

Extra word of advice, check you dipstick regularly, at least once a week, there is no low oil warning in these cars. Most discover this when VTEC stops kicking in.
Yeah as you can see I tend to worry so hopefully I can translate that into being vigilant when it comes to maintenance. I've seem people with over 200k miles on their tl. Hopefully I can get there too without too much money sunk into it.
Old 11-09-2015 | 09:38 PM
Intermediate

Yeah as you can see I tend to worry so hopefully I can translate that into being vigilant when it comes to maintenance. I've seem people with over 200k miles on their tl. Hopefully I can get there too without too much money sunk into it.
I should add many people not just people.
Old 11-09-2015 | 09:55 PM
Intermediate

How many miles is on yours?
Old 11-09-2015 | 10:00 PM
Life Connoisseur

124,9xx
Old 11-09-2015 | 10:03 PM
Intermediate

124,9xx
Mine has a whine under acceleration only. I've heard this is just the torque concerter. I've put 1500 miles on it no difference in shifting. I believe it's normal having heard this from people owning other honda/acura products.
Old 11-09-2015 | 10:07 PM
Life Connoisseur

A lot of transmissions "whine" regardless of make.
Old 11-09-2015 | 10:09 PM
Intermediate

A lot of transmissions "whine" regardless of make.
I must admit it sounds cool.
Old 11-09-2015 | 10:21 PM
Life Connoisseur

I must admit it sounds cool.
I admit the same while it plays music along with the chirps of my CCI and whistle of the rotors.
Old 11-09-2015 | 10:43 PM
Suzuka Master

here is the thread I made earlier this year about scientific facts why pressure switches should get replace.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...lained-926831/
Old 11-10-2015 | 07:43 AM
Senior Moderator

OP- do the switches as a preventative item. The research and work has already been done by experienced & knowledgeable members that have worked in the industry. Even if you have zero symptoms of tranny flare, harsh shift, shudder, etc.

The interval for changing the switches is every 50k miles.

OP- read this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...721508/page24/

Last edited by ggesq; 11-10-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-10-2015 | 03:55 PM
Instructor

Just had the three pressure switches changed on my 07 type S as prevent maintenance.I religiously do a 3x trans service at the dealer 2x a year.Trans shifts were a touch bit lazy before changing them.All I can say is the upshifts now are quick and crisp.Downshifts as well! When using paddle shifter the gears snap off much better.I feel a big change in my car so im happy.Plus knowing the added benefit doesn't hurt.
Old 11-10-2015 | 06:01 PM
Jeff

man just replace the damn switches end of story lol. its super easy and cheap and will go a long way in transmission longevity
Old 11-10-2015 | 06:46 PM
Advanced

Didnt notice any change when I did the switches on my TL-S. My TL upshifts slightly quicker and firmer (the way I prefer) than my TL-S, and it still feels that way even after doing the switches on the S. I wish I knew why this is, since AFAIK, the transmissions are the same (both cars 2008)
Old 11-10-2015 | 11:34 PM
Instructor

I have close to 240K miles on my TL and replaced my switches less than 20K miles ago. I did it because I was experience some shuddering in the 2nd-to-3rd and 3rd-to-4th shifts. The shifting seemed to improve after the new switches were installed but now the shuddering is back. It only happens under very light acceleration. If I accelerate a little quicker I don't have the problem.

In addition, my transmission seems to be shifting very slowly between park, reverse, and drive when the tranny is hot. Everything is fine when it's cold but after driving for a while, there's a noticeable delay after moving the shift lever from drive (or reverse) to reverse (or drive).

Is my transmission dying?

Quick Reply: 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches