3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 3G Ramblings & General Discussion Thread (V)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 02:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,916 Likes on 14,037 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
Did you see Jay Leno and his buddy roll and crash the hemi under glass, Cuda? on youtube?

at the end, the dude says "wait til my wife sees this"
i LOL'd
The FX is by no means a "race" car...but, in sport mode and with all the electronic aids turned off, it CAN definitely go with the OEM Dunlops on. Sure, the mountain road has a posted speed of 50km/h (:ghey: ) which is about 30mph...I went up at about 60-70mph. It's a driving person's dream...just make sure you go up not during "peak" times. First thing in the morning like at 6AM or 7AM...nobody.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
The route to Jasper is via Highway 16 for Edmonton, right? It's a bit more curvy than Highway 2...which is yes, a straight-away. My car which has a lane-departure adjustments probably could in theory take the entire freeway with that on and cruise control.

But, on the right summer day, you do have a chance to see some ubercars driving that freeway...albeit, usually from Edmonton cuz that idiot city has zero exotic car dealerships that can service Ferraris and Lamborghinis. :rofl

Once you hit Calgary (IMO, the true capital of Alberta), the route into Bamff is awesome. Both National Parks are worth it and depending on the time of year going, more affordable. Of course, if one chooses the Fairmont hotels in either park or the Rimrock, well, get ready to pay outta your @$$. Mind you, I stayed at JPL for about $150 back in November when I was there for a mini-conference. The town is charming but absolutely DEAD. Bamff even in November is at least livelier...I prefer the latter. Even if all the Japanese and Chinese tourists gives the town a...Asian flavour.
This pretty much sums it up. And for the record, I've heard there's a Ferrari dealer opening up here in town To be honest, I rarely see exotic cars on that highway. I've seen an SLS AMG on two serperate occasions and a GT3 RS once. Most people are doing 150 in a Minivan

JPL is meh. No idea why someone would pay upwards of $350 for a room there. There is nothing fancy about them and you can go all around the area without staying there anyway. They have a REALLY nice spa there though.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,737 Likes on 6,740 Posts
Worth it. IMO, going to Vancouver is pretty much an "eating" trip -- esp. if you love food. There are some marvelous marvelous restaurants there. Japanese izakayas as an example, are just amazing. Even the Chinese food...

If you want gwai-ro food, the stuff in Vancouver is also kick@$$. I'd say it's one of the top "eating" cities in North America. Even better than Torronah or Chicago. San Francisco and NYC probably have the top claims...but, you could argue Vancouver matches SF.

sold. definitely will go up there for the gf' and my next foodieventure. Going to Chicago with her in a month so that'll be fun
Old 06-28-2016, 02:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by thoiboi

sold. definitely will go up there for the gf' and my next foodieventure. Going to Chicago with her in a month so that'll be fun
Oooo...going to my "home"!...Lemme know if you need some restaurant recommendations in the Windy City.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TacoBello
This pretty much sums it up. And for the record, I've heard there's a Ferrari dealer opening up here in town To be honest, I rarely see exotic cars on that highway. I've seen an SLS AMG on two serperate occasions and a GT3 RS once. Most people are doing 150 in a Minivan

JPL is meh. No idea why someone would pay upwards of $350 for a room there. There is nothing fancy about them and you can go all around the area without staying there anyway. They have a REALLY nice spa there though.
A Ferrari. Dealership. In Edmonton. Get out of town. The only "exotic" is the Porsche there...which really exists to sell...Boxsters and Cayennes. Although, now, I'd wager there are pile of Macans everywhere.

I never said JPL was great. Just saying it's probably the "4-star" spot in Jasper...the rest are kinda...dumpy. I mean, I guess going to Jasper or Bamff is not about staying in your room...but, I remember the hotels in Jasper are all badly in need of upgrades and/or modernizing. Bamff has way better options...and at worst, staying in Canmore is an option.

On Highway 2, I've seen some Italian ubercars. Albeit, I'm not on it regularly...but, maybe it was just my lucky day.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:30 PM
Team Owner

You're right, most places to stay in jasper are little more than dumps. The majority are super old and haven't been updated in decades. Banff definitely has a mixture of both new and old.

If we want to go hiking, site seeing, skiing, whatever, we go to jasper.

you can do all of that in Banff, but it's also more of a party town. Be careful, thoiboi. Banff is known as the AIDS Capital of Canada for a reason. People just go there for a good time. True story.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Oooo...going to my "home"!...Lemme know if you need some restaurant recommendations in the Windy City.

YES I DO! I had a co-worker send me a full spreadsheet that had over a hundred restaurants, but that's not very helpful.. We'll be there for a few days so i'd love your input as to what to eat!!!
Old 06-28-2016, 02:33 PM
Team Owner

Eat the homeless people on the streets. There's too many of them and they make the place look grungy. Think of it as helping the community out.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:33 PM
Senior Moderator

You're right, most places to stay in jasper are little more than dumps. The majority are super old and haven't been updated in decades. Banff definitely has a mixture of both new and old.

If we want to go hiking, site seeing, skiing, whatever, we go to jasper.

you can do all of that in Banff, but it's also more of a party town. Be careful, thoiboi. Banff is known as the AIDS Capital of Canada for a reason. People just go there for a good time. True story.

Only reason i mentioned Banff was because a friend of mine recently just went and said it was gorgeous hike and had some beautiful scenery.. Jasper sounds more like my speed if that's the case then.. Thanks for the tip
Old 06-28-2016, 02:36 PM
Team Owner

No, to be honest, if you're just flying in and only spending a day or two, I too would suggest Banff over jasper. Like I said, you can still do cool stuff, see beautiful shit and blah blah when in Banff. There's a reason why so many tourists hit that place up.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:38 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
My entire experience with Chicago and dining involves a hot dog cart in O'Hare Terminal 1.

I don't miss making the sprint from one side of that airport to the other.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:49 PM
Senior Moderator

YES I DO! I had a co-worker send me a full spreadsheet that had over a hundred restaurants, but that's not very helpful.. We'll be there for a few days so i'd love your input as to what to eat!!!
Have you been to Chicago before?

Where are you staying...? If you're on the Mile, that place has access to some FINE restaurants. Whenever I go back to Chicago, I always try to go to Joe's. I love the stone crabs and their pies are to die for. The restaurant can be pricey and so, go for lunch. I do not have access to any Morton's Steakhouses where I'm at and so, I also make it a priority to eat there...but, I'm sure you can easily go to a Morton's where you live, right?

Spiaggia is great stuff...they also offer a lunch option but dinner is where it's at. Bandera is cool if you like live jazz to go with some decent eats. Shanghai Terrace is pretty good eating...mind you, it's considered "high-end" and so, again, be warned.

Nearby to the Mile is also a place called The Slurping Turtle. It's not true Japanese but, you know what? I didn't mind it. Decent service and not a bad bowl of noodles. Lemme know if you need more. For deep dish pizza, if you've never tried it, it's worthwhile to have a go...Chicago has the "big 3" of Gino's East, Pizzeria Uno, and Giordano's. They are all different but you can't go wrong with either.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Only reason i mentioned Banff was because a friend of mine recently just went and said it was gorgeous hike and had some beautiful scenery.. Jasper sounds more like my speed if that's the case then.. Thanks for the tip
Fly to Calgary...rent a car...drive to Bamff...but, I would suggest at least 4-5 days. Once you are there, you won't want to leave. Visit Lake Louise too. There are few places on the planet as beautiful as Alberta's 2 jewel parks.
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 02:53 PM

Pizzeria Uno can't be the same as this, right? Uno Pizzeria & Grill: Uno Chicago Grill - Deep Dish Pizza
Old 06-28-2016, 02:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cu2wagon
Pizzeria Uno can't be the same as this, right? Uno Pizzeria & Grill: Uno Chicago Grill - Deep Dish Pizza
I believe it is. They also have a sister restaurant called Pizzeria Due...both are the same.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Have you been to Chicago before?

Where are you staying...? If you're on the Mile, that place has access to some FINE restaurants. Whenever I go back to Chicago, I always try to go to Joe's. I love the stone crabs and their pies are to die for. The restaurant can be pricey and so, go for lunch. I do not have access to any Morton's Steakhouses where I'm at and so, I also make it a priority to eat there...but, I'm sure you can easily go to a Morton's where you live, right?

Spiaggia is great stuff...they also offer a lunch option but dinner is where it's at. Bandera is cool if you like live jazz to go with some decent eats. Shanghai Terrace is pretty good eating...mind you, it's considered "high-end" and so, again, be warned.

Nearby to the Mile is also a place called The Slurping Turtle. It's not true Japanese but, you know what? I didn't mind it. Decent service and not a bad bowl of noodles. Lemme know if you need more. For deep dish pizza, if you've never tried it, it's worthwhile to have a go...Chicago has the "big 3" of Gino's East, Pizzeria Uno, and Giordano's. They are all different but you can't go wrong with either.
Haven't decided where I'm staying yet. the GF is to figure out the spots to hit up and i'll pick a hotel after that determination. I'll happily take suggestions on where to stay too . Ehh Morton's are a dime a dozen around here so i'll pass on that. There's actually one across the street from my hotel here in ATL so i go quite often

May have to hit up Bandera, love me some good jazz! I'm hesitant on high end food..

Everyone talks about Purple Pig... not sure if it's all hype I'll do one or two fine dining, but would love hole in the walls too, thanks a bunch H!
Old 06-28-2016, 02:59 PM

I believe it is. They also have a sister restaurant called Pizzeria Due...both are the same.
Hmm... Interesting. I've eaten there... In New Mexico!
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,007 Likes on 14,511 Posts
My boss is on a business trip to Vancouver...until Thursday when his wife is meeting him and he's staying another 10 days.
Cousins and their folks are visiting Toronto this week...now flying to Moncton, New Brunswick.
TacoBello (06-28-2016)
Senior Moderator

My entire experience with Chicago and dining involves a hot dog cart in O'Hare Terminal 1.

I don't miss making the sprint from one side of that airport to the other.
screw yummy's suggestions, this is all i need right here! thanks brother!

Fly to Calgary...rent a car...drive to Bamff...but, I would suggest at least 4-5 days. Once you are there, you won't want to leave. Visit Lake Louise too. There are few places on the planet as beautiful as Alberta's 2 jewel parks.
No, to be honest, if you're just flying in and only spending a day or two, I too would suggest Banff over jasper. Like I said, you can still do cool stuff, see beautiful shit and blah blah when in Banff. There's a reason why so many tourists hit that place up.
i'll keep these in mind for next time! Thanks you two!
Old 06-28-2016, 03:05 PM

I always wanted an FX SUV...I think they sound and look really nice.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Haven't decided where I'm staying yet. the GF is to figure out the spots to hit up and i'll pick a hotel after that determination. I'll happily take suggestions on where to stay too . Ehh Morton's are a dime a dozen around here so i'll pass on that. There's actually one across the street from my hotel here in ATL so i go quite often

May have to hit up Bandera, love me some good jazz! I'm hesitant on high end food..

Everyone talks about Purple Pig... not sure if it's all hype I'll do one or two fine dining, but would love hole in the walls too, thanks a bunch H!
Purple Pig is worth trying!

If this is your first time taking your woman, the Mile is fine. We stayed at the Westin right on the Mile and it was quite convenient to go anywhere...you're close to the water and if you need to go to other parts of downtown, a quick cab ride. But, some of the finest architecture is right where you're at. If you're okay with striding into the Lamborghini dealership across from the Westin, you just may meet some neat celebs. I recently shook hands with Dominique Wilkins...

It was kinda cool. Of course, drooling at the Aventador on the floor was something else too.

There are some holes in the wall but if you're on the Mile, unlikely to get those...and those are in more "happening" parts of town...and well, I know my wife was not keen to see the wilder side of Chicago.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:07 PM
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 243 Posts
Well I just logged 450 miles and listened to 6 hours of books on tape for a pointless trip....cant wait to do it again tomorrow.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I always wanted an FX SUV...I think they sound and look really nice.
Sea cucumber on wheels.

Trunk space is a bit...tight...but, otherwise, it's a nice drive. I think you can get a gently used FX50S for pretty affordable now?
Old 06-28-2016, 03:08 PM

Definitely, man...
but with B with an SUV and a short commute to work, I'm trying to stay satisfied with what I already own.

At least for now.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Purple Pig is worth trying!

If this is your first time taking your woman, the Mile is fine. We stayed at the Westin right on the Mile and it was quite convenient to go anywhere...you're close to the water and if you need to go to other parts of downtown, a quick cab ride. But, some of the finest architecture is right where you're at. If you're okay with striding into the Lamborghini dealership across from the Westin, you just may meet some neat celebs. I recently shook hands with Dominique Wilkins...

It was kinda cool. Of course, drooling at the Aventador on the floor was something else too.

There are some holes in the wall but if you're on the Mile, unlikely to get those...and those are in more "happening" parts of town...and well, I know my wife was not keen to see the wilder side of Chicago.

Okay, sounds like the Mile is more our speed.. Uber elsewhere

We're not a 'wild side' couple either so sounds like just our speed.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:11 PM
Drifting

Yeah wifey said "oohh I like the QX 80 I saw. Can we go look at one".....I laughed.....
Old 06-28-2016, 03:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Definitely, man...
but with B with an SUV and a short commute to work, I'm trying to stay satisfied with what I already own.

At least for now.
It may be a lateral-ish move to go from her Caddy SUV to the FX.

Again, not sure on the $$$ value of a 2010/11 used FX50...but, even the FX37 isn't terrible esp. if you want to save a pile on gas.
rockstar143 (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 03:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by UlsterBoy13
Yeah wifey said "oohh I like the QX 80 I saw. Can we go look at one".....I laughed.....
That's a wholelotta SUV.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:14 PM
Senior Moderator

It may be a lateral-ish move to go from her Caddy SUV to the FX.

Again, not sure on the $$$ value of a 2010/11 used FX50...but, even the FX37 isn't terrible esp. if you want to save a pile on gas.
perro the switch to Japanese would probably save on maintenance in the long run...

Old 06-28-2016, 03:15 PM

Well I just logged 450 miles and listened to 6 hours of books on tape for a pointless trip....cant wait to do it again tomorrow.
You getting reimbursed for mileage? Because that's almost $500 work of book listening!
Old 06-28-2016, 03:16 PM

it depends...the ONLY repair thus far was a computer glitch for the rear axle...and a front wheel bearing that cost(ed) $100 in part...but covered under warranty still.
We'll see...she doesn't want the FX...I meant for me.

I would love to get her in an MDX but she's used to the top o the line stuff now...so NX from Lexus but everything is SO expensive.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:18 PM

it depends...the ONLY repair thus far was a computer glitch for the rear axle...and a front wheel bearing that cost(ed) $100 in part...but covered under warranty still.

I would love to get her in an MDX but she's used to the top o the line stuff now...so NX from Lexus but everything is SO expensive.
RDX brah. superior.*
Old 06-28-2016, 03:18 PM
Senior Moderator

RDX Elite brah. superior.*

fixed

not sure how much it'd be to import such a beast from the Great White North
Old 06-28-2016, 03:22 PM
Senior Moderator

perro the switch to Japanese would probably save on maintenance in the long run...
Ehhh...dunno. If he goes to the dealership for servicing like me (cuz, lazy), then get ready to bend over. My next service which is apparently 96K km is going to be a pricey one...$1500CDN.

I usually don't pay too much attention to maintenance fees once I buy a car...it's kinda part of the "baggage".
Old 06-28-2016, 03:22 PM
Drifting

You getting reimbursed for mileage? Because that's almost $500 work of book listening!
Yup and since it was a straight highway shot that reimbursement is what swayed me from just grabbing a hotel and picking up some clothes....that and it woulda meant staying in OKC.

After this week I should have half my 105k service saved up!!
Old 06-28-2016, 03:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, they are different vehicles...MDX is definitely roomy for cargo. Ask the First Lady what she thinks of the FX if it were her car and see how much it costs to trade for one with the Caddy going the other way. Just be sure you try the FX out with a baby seat and stroller all packed in to get an idea on space. Again, it's not much.
rockstar143 (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 03:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Should get her an Escalade then
Old 06-28-2016, 03:26 PM

Yup and since it was a straight highway shot that reimbursement is what swayed me from just grabbing a hotel and picking up some clothes....that and it woulda meant staying in OKC.

After this week I should have half my 105k service saved up!!
Niiiiiice.

I stayed in OKC once. It was "interesting". And it was an overnighter on my way to Enid. Which made OKC seem like a diverse cultural mecca.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:31 PM
Drifting

Niiiiiice.

I stayed in OKC once. It was "interesting". And it was an overnighter on my way to Enid. Which made OKC seem like a diverse cultural mecca.
Bwahahaha yeah I never been into downtown OKC before and Waze decided I should go through the ghetto first. Then get stuck at train crossing then get into Downtown. The Thunder arena area reminded me of the same sorta area in Houston where the Toyota arena is.

Drive was uneventful bar one tiny shrapnel of tire some kicked my way. When I got back in town I saw temp reading of 101 on a billboard so yuck for that!!
Old 06-28-2016, 03:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Bwahahaha yeah I never been into downtown OKC before and Waze decided I should go through the ghetto first. Then get stuck at train crossing then get into Downtown.
surprised you made it out without your car being on cinderblocks

Quick Reply: The 3G Ramblings & General Discussion Thread (V)