Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

303 overspray on Dash pods-Dealer may not warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
303 overspray on Dash pods-Dealer may not warranty

Stopped by the dealer today to show him the spots that appeared on my speedo and tach pods(the clear plastic). The gas/temp pod is fine. I used the 303 a week ago and then on Friday night( a week later) I thought I would clean the clear plastic to remove some dust. As soon as I sprayed the glass cleaning fluid(I use non-amonia glass cleaner) the spots came right out and would not go away. I thought they were on the inside. Stopped by dealer and he said if they fixed this it would be a goodwill gesture and that it appears something was sprayed on it. I did not tell him I was using 303 to clean the dash and all. However, should 303 do this to the clear plastic. If so, everyone needs to be careful when using this stuff. Any suggestions on what to use if they won't do anything for me. I hate to think I'll have to pay for new plastic.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:50 PM
Racer

I never spray things on the dash. Spray the stuff on a foam applicator and wipe it on to avoid getting it in places you don't want it.

I use the applicators they sell at Target- they're fine for interior stuff like this or the gel protectant on the tires.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
My suggestion before you let them rip your dash apart is to buy some Plexus and, using a clean soft cloth (like the ones they sell to clean camera lenses) try to clean the gauge plastic. Worst case is it doesn't work and the dealer can replace it.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:01 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cecilt
Stopped by the dealer today to show him the spots that appeared on my speedo and tach pods(the clear plastic). The gas/temp pod is fine. I used the 303 a week ago and then on Friday night( a week later) I thought I would clean the clear plastic to remove some dust. As soon as I sprayed the glass cleaning fluid(I use non-amonia glass cleaner) the spots came right out and would not go away. I thought they were on the inside. Stopped by dealer and he said if they fixed this it would be a goodwill gesture and that it appears something was sprayed on it. I did not tell him I was using 303 to clean the dash and all. However, should 303 do this to the clear plastic. If so, everyone needs to be careful when using this stuff. Any suggestions on what to use if they won't do anything for me. I hate to think I'll have to pay for new plastic.
Like Andrew I don't spray on then wipe etc...

Definitely appreciate the heads up though..

I use 303 on both vehicles and my boat!
Old 08-07-2006, 02:35 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
303 is good stuff, it has never damaged anything on me before
Old 08-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Racer

Dealer called and said they will not warranty or replace it as a goodwill jesture. As you can imagine I'm not too happy. I will try the Plexus as mentioned in another post. I have used cleaners in the past on other cars and never had this type of problem. I also didn't liberally spray the pods but I also thought 303 was so universal it wouldn't do something like this. I am waiting on a call back on a price now to replace.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:29 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I swear, this same thing might have happened to me. (i.e. 303 dash (possible overspray) then glass cleaner, and now spots) I thought it was some sort of humidity on the inside...hmm what is this plexus stuff...
Old 08-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Safety Car

I've never had any problems with 303 and I think this is the first reported case (if 303 was the cause). 303 was designed as a protectorant for number of materials including plastic. Best and most convienient way to use 303 is an applicator then buff with a MF towel. Try using a plastic polish (Plexus, Megs PlastX) as NSXNext mentioned.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:34 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
May be the mix between 303 and glass cleaner (that contain amonia) may be the problem.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Instructor

I have the same "fogging" but didn't know that it was from the 303. Never had a problem with it before. I used to wipe the gauges on my S2000 and still do on my Civic. I have a can of Plexus at home, but haven't tried it on the "fogginess" yet. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm still @ work, so it will be in a few hours.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Hmmm, very interesting. I had a film on my instrument cluster, but it was on the inside. I told the dealer and they tried to wipe it off and scratched the hell out of it, needless to say I told them to replace it and they assumed the gauges and plastic were one unit and went on about how I would have rattles if they replaced all of that. Well, when they went to replace it, the plastic screen is one piece by itself. So this should be a relatively cheap piece for you to buy and quick to install...
Old 08-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
I've never had any problems with 303 and I think this is the first reported case (if 303 was the cause). 303 was designed as a protectorant for number of materials including plastic. Best and most convienient way to use 303 is an applicator then buff with a MF towel. Try using a plastic polish (Plexus, Megs PlastX) as NSXNext mentioned.
Can you buy Plexus or Megs PlastX at a retail store is it online only?
Old 08-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Instructor

Can you buy Plexus or Megs PlastX at a retail store is it online only?
I bought my Plexus at Cycle Gear (Moto shop). Alot of people I know that ride street bikes use Plexus on thier plastic.

Just to add....... I use Plexus all the time on my headlights and it cleans them up nicely. Don't know why I never thought of using it on the gauge plastic
Old 08-07-2006, 08:53 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by DFBRL8R
I bought my Plexus at Cycle Gear (Moto shop). Alot of people I know that ride street bikes use Plexus on thier plastic.

Just to add....... I use Plexus all the time on my headlights and it cleans them up nicely. Don't know why I never thought of using it on the gauge plastic
let us know how it turns out
Old 08-08-2006, 02:22 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Before you use any chemicals on your dash ensure the spots are really on the outside. Using a small flashlight observe the spots off-axis. You should see the thickness of the plastic if they are on the inside.

I think the dealer is wrong and just calling your bluff, scaring you into admitting that you used some chemical they don't approve of so they can refuse warranty. I had my spots when I bought the car so you can tell the dealer there are a few people with the same issue.

Just to cover your butt you should drop a line to the Aerospace guys and ask them if it's possible their product can do this and explain your difficulty to them. They may want to know what kind of plastic the lenses are made out of. I thought the stuff was water soluble and would not do that sort of thing.

It would be good to know if Acura is going to refuse warranty because of 303. Lots of guys here really like the stuff.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Racer

Just a quick suggestion. Every car I have ever owned has suffered from sctratches and spots on the plastic covering of the gauges. When they get dusty and you go to clean them off, the dust will scratch the lens. I have had much better luck blowing the dust off with compressed air prior to cleaning. I have an air compressor, but if you don't, you can go to just about and electronic store and buy a can of compressed air. It's the stuff they use to blow out the insides of computers, stereos, etc.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by leedogg
let us know how it turns out
Sorry,
I didn't get home from work until 11pm and didn't think about going into the garage to try it out. I'll git 'er done today
Old 08-08-2006, 03:32 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

I used 303 and the same thing happened. You gotta becareful with that stuff. I used Meguires PlastX to get it out and it worked. I got it at Autozone.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Instructor

OK Everyone,

I got home, grabbed a brand new microfiber cloth and my Plexus. I Sprayed some Plexus on the cloth and gently rubbed in a circular motion to apply the Plexus. After about 1 minute on each pod, I used a dry part of the cloth to wipe away the excess. It worked!!!! No more fogginess on the pods. I tried to take before and after photos, but with the lighting/flash, you couldn't really tell that they were foggy to begin with. Anyways.... Plexus works, and it works nicely on headlamps as well

~DFBRL8R
Old 08-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Instructor

I used Stones Invisible glass cleaner and the same thing happened to me. I was cleaning my car on a hot day, sprayed it on and it evaporated instantly leaving spots etched in the clear plastic. That was a 80.00 mistake (really, really east to install a new one just expensive)

p.s. It may not have been the 303, maybe the glass cleaner?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ward148
I used Stones Invisible glass cleaner and the same thing happened to me. I was cleaning my car on a hot day, sprayed it on and it evaporated instantly leaving spots etched in the clear plastic. That was a 80.00 mistake (really, really east to install a new one just expensive)

p.s. It may not have been the 303, maybe the glass cleaner?
THAT'S GOTTA BE IT!!!!!! I clean my glass with Invisble glass and must have wiped the pods with the same rag one day. I didn't think that it was the 303, but I never put 2 and 2 together. Damn I feel like a dork Well peeps... Don't use glass cleaner of any kind on the pods AND, Plexus works on the fogginess on your gauge pods
Old 08-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Racer

Update to the story. As mentioned earlier, my local dealer's Service Mgr took 1 look at the dash pods and assumed something had been sprayed on them and this caused the spotting. He would not consider warrantying or even trying to remove the spots. I had an appt at the dealer who I actaully bought the car from today for my first free oil change. This dealer is 3 hours from my house though (one way) but I had to be up in the area for work. I take the car in, and in addition to the oil change I tell him about the spots. They come back and say the spots would not come off so they assume they are on the inside of the plastic and immediately said they ordered new plastic and will warranty the work.

Great, but once again this is not my local dealer. To keep my cards close to my chest I say do dealers communicate about this kind of stuff b/c I told him I would prefer to get this done locally. Basically I never told him I even took it by my local dealer. I said, "I don't want to go to my local dealer and get the run around on whether they will warranty this when you have already agreed to cover it" He said they really don't talk back and forth. Now my dilema is I have to really make a special trip to get this warranty work done b/c I won't be back in the area for awhile, it will cost me over $60 in gas and 440 miles roundtrip on the odometer. I put enough miles on the TL already and hate to put these on it.

Should I even go back to my local dealer and tell them another dealer agreed to warranty it b/c they felt the spots were on the inside. My fear is the local dealer will say something like "We believe the spots are not on the inside so we will only agree to warranty it if we tear it down and inspect it. If they are on the inside the warranty will apply. If not, you are stuck paying the labor to replace"

I'm tempted to just try the Megs PlastX now that the one dealer has agreed to the warranty and if it works I'm not going to have it replaced. Can't hurt I guess.

Any other suggestions. Sorry for the long post.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:31 PM
RAR

like the post above yours just said. This plexus stuff appears to work? I think my spots also came from stoners + 303
Old 08-08-2006, 11:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DFBRL8R
THAT'S GOTTA BE IT!!!!!! I clean my glass with Invisble glass and must have wiped the pods with the same rag one day. I didn't think that it was the 303, but I never put 2 and 2 together. Damn I feel like a dork Well peeps... Don't use glass cleaner of any kind on the pods AND, Plexus works on the fogginess on your gauge pods
I wiped my gages down with a micro fiber towel that had stone’s glass cleaner on it. Then I noticed wipe marks on the clear plastic, so being the bright one I sprayed glass cleaner directly on it. After the 3rd attempt with the class cleaner I realized it was causing the problem. I then tried using 303 and lexol plastic polish to fix it. (it actually helped alittle bit, but was way to deep to fix)

Update to the story. As mentioned earlier, my local dealer's Service Mgr took 1 look at the dash pods and assumed something had been sprayed on them and this caused the spotting. He would not consider warrantying or even trying to remove the spots. I had an appt at the dealer who I actaully bought the car from today for my first free oil change. This dealer is 3 hours from my house though (one way) but I had to be up in the area for work. I take the car in, and in addition to the oil change I tell him about the spots. They come back and say the spots would not come off so they assume they are on the inside of the plastic and immediately said they ordered new plastic and will warranty the work.

Great, but once again this is not my local dealer. To keep my cards close to my chest I say do dealers communicate about this kind of stuff b/c I told him I would prefer to get this done locally. Basically I never told him I even took it by my local dealer. I said, "I don't want to go to my local dealer and get the run around on whether they will warranty this when you have already agreed to cover it" He said they really don't talk back and forth. Now my dilema is I have to really make a special trip to get this warranty work done b/c I won't be back in the area for awhile, it will cost me over $60 in gas and 440 miles roundtrip on the odometer. I put enough miles on the TL already and hate to put these on it.

Should I even go back to my local dealer and tell them another dealer agreed to warranty it b/c they felt the spots were on the inside. My fear is the local dealer will say something like "We believe the spots are not on the inside so we will only agree to warranty it if we tear it down and inspect it. If they are on the inside the warranty will apply. If not, you are stuck paying the labor to replace"

I'm tempted to just try the Megs PlastX now that the one dealer has agreed to the warranty and if it works I'm not going to have it replaced. Can't hurt I guess.

Any other suggestions. Sorry for the long post.
Have the dealer ship the part to you. (its an 80.00 dollar part)
Install it yourself, takes about 4-5 mins. its the easyist thing ever
Old 08-08-2006, 11:47 PM
Instructor

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/frames.html
Here's a little info on Plexus. I think I paid 12 bucks for a 13oz. can. It might be worth your time and trouble
Old 08-09-2006, 07:20 AM
Nobody's Hero

Once again, this site has provided valuable info in resovling a potential problem!

BTW, the compressed air works great. I have used that for years as my 4 Runner had serious lense scratching issues.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:01 AM
Racer

Install it yourself, takes about 4-5 mins. its the easyist thing ever[/QUOTE]

Have you done this to confirm a 4-5 minute job. Seems like a lot of the dash needs to come off. Anywrite up on this or a written description of the steps involved. Thanks
Old 08-09-2006, 10:20 AM
RAR

hmm I wonder where I can find some plexus...or maybe I'll just try plastx...
Old 08-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Instructor

Another thought..... Try a boating/marine supply shop. West Marine is one that comes to mind. That's where I bought my 303 and I know that they have Plexus there. Use the store locator and see if there is one close to you. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...key=SiteSearch
Old 08-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
gotta be careful with 303. they do the same with leather if you overspray, but leather it'll come off easily.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Racer

Saga over and thanks to this site for posting the solution. AFter I got the assurance from the dealer they would warranty the replacement of the clear plastic behind the dash I bought some Megs PlastX and wholla---the spots came off. So they were not behind the plastic afterall. Thumbs up Acurazine. Be careful with 303 around the plastic
Old 08-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Instructor

Install it yourself, takes about 4-5 mins. its the easyist thing ever

Have you done this to confirm a 4-5 minute job. Seems like a lot of the dash needs to come off. Anywrite up on this or a written description of the steps involved. Thanks

Ya I did it 2 weeks ago...No bull shit 4-5 mins (no tools) Sorry but I kinda suck at giving directions but I’ll try my best.

Tilt the steering wheel down. It’s just a simple black cover over the instruments cluster held on by pressure clips. (It has about 6 pressure clips, 3 on each side) gently pull on one side of the “black instrument cover” and once the pressure is released from one side it just falls out. You then just unclip the wire harness for the dash light dimmer ect (2 of the them very easy) That leaves you access to the clear instrument cover (the one that’s damaged) which is also held on by plastic clips. (6 of them I think) The hardest part is trying to get your fingers in there to release the plastic clips on a few of them.

Then you just take the new “clear lenses” line up the clips with the holes and push. Take the “black instrument cover” plug in both harness and then line it up and push.

Sorry about the bad directions but trust me its easy
Old 08-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ward148
Ya I did it 2 weeks ago...No bull shit 4-5 mins (no tools) Sorry but I kinda suck at giving directions but I’ll try my best.

Tilt the steering wheel down. It’s just a simple black cover over the instruments cluster held on by pressure clips. (It has about 6 pressure clips, 3 on each side) gently pull on one side of the “black instrument cover” and once the pressure is released from one side it just falls out. You then just unclip the wire harness for the dash light dimmer ect (2 of the them very easy) That leaves you access to the clear instrument cover (the one that’s damaged) which is also held on by plastic clips. (6 of them I think) The hardest part is trying to get your fingers in there to release the plastic clips on a few of them.

Then you just take the new “clear lenses” line up the clips with the holes and push. Take the “black instrument cover” plug in both harness and then line it up and push.

Sorry about the bad directions but trust me its easy
Thanks for the info but looks like I don't have to fool with it myself or make another trip to the dealer
Old 08-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to read that all is resolved. But I can't understand why, exactly, Acura should have replaced the parts under warranty. Something you sprayed on them caused the problem. You knew this and stated in your first post that you didn't tell them.

In the future it's best to be careful with any cleansers or solvents. Especially around plastic parts.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SpecialFX
Glad to read that all is resolved. But I can't understand why, exactly, Acura should have replaced the parts under warranty. Something you sprayed on them caused the problem. You knew this and stated in your first post that you didn't tell them.

In the future it's best to be careful with any cleansers or solvents. Especially around plastic parts.
The dealer agreed to warranty it b/c they could not remove the spots and made the assumption the spots were on the inside of the plastic, therefore, a defect. I never said I sprayed 303 on the pods. I said I may have but once again, I did not try to even clean the pods until 1 week later and the only reason I attempted to clean the pods is i had not done this since I bought the car. They were not dirty or dusty but I am anal about keeping things clean and thought I would just hit them with some glass cleaner. There were no visible spots when I used the 303 to clean the interior. I really thought that when the dealer prepped the car for delivery they sprayed the junk they used on the pods and this might have caused it. Anyways, all is good now and Megs PlastX is the ticket.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:10 PM
'16 FBP Advance FWD

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
So if Stoner's isn't safe for cleaning the pod plastic, what do people use? I've got Stoner's and 303 but I'm paranoid now about using either.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kfhughes
So if Stoner's isn't safe for cleaning the pod plastic, what do people use? I've got Stoner's and 303 but I'm paranoid now about using either.
Megs PlastX for the pod plastic and headlight covers. Just be careful with the 303 and overspray. Apply to your cloth first and then wipe. Overspray will come off the windshield fine so if you spray the dash directly you will be okay.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:10 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
I read this the day before I got my first bottle of 303 over a year ago. It seems they say it is related to other chemicals coming in contact with the plastic first. I've always kept protectants off of dash windows after a friend fogged his up with Armor All

From their site:
http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...Product_ID=522
Milky or Dull Plastic Dashboard Windows?

The plastic dashboard window on my car is milky and dull - is there a way to fix this?

We have had a few consumers with this same type of problem. 303 itself will not dull or make plastic milky. What has happen usually is someone used a type of window cleaner on the plastic witch contained alcohols or ammonia, like Windex. When these types of products are used it degrades the plastics - and if 303 Protectant is applied after, the problem becomes even more apparent.

How to solve your problem.
Using a fine rubbing compound remove the carefully polish out the milky look of the plastic. The last and most important step is once you successfully removed the cloudiness or milky look with the rubbing compound be sure to apply 303 Aerospace Protectant and polish dry.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:40 PM
RAR

rubbing compound huh? i wonder if my scratchX will work...