Sponsored by:

2nd test drive sold me...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 08:30 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd test drive sold me...

Ok, I made the plunge.

I went on my 2nd test drive at a different dealer, and that is what did it. I already posted that ended up buying, but for those on the fence, I want to tell you why.

First, off I finally saw my first new TL on road at night tonight, and man, it was AWESOME. The front was kick-ass with the lights on, and I wasn't sure it was a TL until I saw the distinctive rear-end, which looked very cool lit up. I just smiled, knowing I'll have mine in a week. Coll looking car at night.

Anyway, the second test drive I made had a huge impact. I got to feel a little more comfortable, and instead of being a little anxious, excited, and distracted by the new car, I didn't even turn on the radio or fiddle with any of the crap on the inside, I already knew I loved that. This time I was looking for a "driver's" car can riding comfort. I'm about 6'1, and I usually need adequate leg room to feel more comfortable.

The sitting position had the lower more "cockpit" feel like my 540i had, and so much leg room it is the first car, including the Bimmer, that I haven't had to put the seat ALL teh way back.

The car is SOLID. I have an 03 Accord now, and the difference is night and day over how beefy the cars feel in comparison. Steering is firm, but not hard, this is no race car, its a sporty luxury car. Power is decent, but you're not going to mistake this thing for a car in the low 5s for 0-60. BUT, I'm not buying it for that, not too many cars are that fast, and what you have to sacrifice to get that kind of speed defeats most of why I'm buying a TL. 6.something is a fast car, fast enough for me at this stage of the game.

Handling was very good, a nice cross between sporty and comfortable. I don't mind a stiff harsh ride, but this wasn't even in that category. Body roll wasn't a lot, but it handled very well, close to an Audi A4 with the sport package, not as well as the Bimmer, but a lot of that has to do with the FWD/RWD issues.

I want FWD or AWD, and I don't think I'll buy any Audis for a while. The TL offers so much more for the money. If you price out a loaded A4, the only feature you end up getting above the TL is the AWD, but you still get screwed out of 50 hp, and a boatload of other features that the TL has standard.

Bottom line: This is the best ALL AROUND car for the money out there. I was iffy on my first drive, I was absolutely convinced after my second drive. The only other car I would have probably considered was the G35, but they should be ASHAMED of themselves for putting that interior in that car. I'd feel like an ass spending that much money and have to look at that steering wheel for 2 hours a day. What's with the 1970's buttons on it?

Anyway, you fencesitters should take another shot behind the wheel.

My Anthracite/Ebony Navi 5AT buoild# 8887 was built on the 29th and shipped, should be here at the end of the week, ready for me on Monday!

Ryan
Old 11-02-2003, 08:51 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good review Ryan and congratulations on your new car. I'm sure you'll be spending extra time in your new car next week like I did this weekend. The 2004 TL is a great ride.