22 and under thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008 | 11:32 PM
Unofficial Goat

I bought my TL 2 years ago in Cash money! all mine. I did get a great deal however through my dad on the car. but I paid the full price with my own cash and have been paying all the associated costs since with my own cabbage. and the TL is a sweet ride!
Old 02-07-2008 | 01:06 AM
think + rest will follow

I bought my TL when I was 22 right now I am 25 and still paying on my car by myself.

I just fell in love with this car when I first saw it, It just looks very aggressive and sharper looking car to me that's why I bought AM TL.
Old 02-07-2008 | 02:04 AM
AZ Community Team

I've been wondering about this as well. Not so much the "how do you afford it part", but the "why this car" part.

Seems to me the RSX was clearly targeted at the 18 - 24 demographic. Nohting really in the Acura stable to fill RSX's shoes right now though.

It also seems to me the TL is more targeted toward an older (or OLD to you guys ) market, say 28 - 40. A sporty but functional 4-door family sedan. Just right for young family types just getting into the salary band that allows a $500+/month car payment AND a family, home, etc.

Frankly, that ( ^^ ) demographic is who I see mostly driving the TL around here.

But most of the guys in this thread (and many on this site) are much younger with no family (yet). So why not a 350Z or V8 Mustang or RX8 or some other "less practical, more sporty" 2-door?
Old 02-07-2008 | 04:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shubysingh
hey your from stockton, you should be used to brown people, isnt stockton like a mini Punjab?
hmmm no don't see so many Indians, maybe i'm in the wrong part of stockton
Old 02-07-2008 | 05:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by playa4real
dont hate him..hate the game!
Just to set the record straight, I've been married longer than most of you are old, with a 33 year old son, and a 1 year old grandson. My son learned at an early age to not use the word "hate", which you 20'ers seem to use so freely.
Like I said, it's your future, and it's not the same as mine.
Old 02-07-2008 | 05:48 AM
Instructor

21 in 2 weeks or so, needed a car so I went to the Santa Monica Acura dealership and picked one up (been looking around for a while, always liked the Acura brand). Reasoning behind purchase was having a car that I know I'll still enjoy driving 10 years down the road, plus need a little something to jumpstart my credit history and they were willing to work with me so I thought why not. Currently attending UCLA and working to pay the car off. Everytime I sit into the TL I'm reminded why I'm working hahah.

And yes, some of us do still have investments in the stockmarket, non-roth IRA's and mutual funds so don't assume buying a car means = pointless spending. some kind of real estate is probably next up in line.
Old 02-07-2008 | 05:51 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dr_brains510
U can see my age from the avatar...i was initially going to buy an IS350 b/c I used to own a IS300 (b4 it got totalled) but when I went to the dealer in early February of 07, they were asking almost 50k. I was simply laughing when I left the dealership. So I went home and saw an Acura commercial and they were offering really good deals on the TL's. When I went to the dealership, I feel in love with the TLS. It was very affordable (38k fully loaded, lowered it to 36k). For a first time buyer, I got a good deal. I'm sure many youngsters that own a TL/TLS have their parents paying it but I don't let them do that for me. For a undergrad at UCLA who works at one of UCLA's hospitals, the payments seem like nothing. Now I've got to get started on the many mods.

by any chance are you from Nor-Cal 510? I didn't know UCLA hospitals hired undergrads for anything more than phone answering or lobby receptionists, how'd you get hooked up with such a sweet deal? Always nice to see a fellow bruin around
Old 02-07-2008 | 07:41 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

22, bought the tl type s at 21 because the 350z I bought at 20 got totalled
Old 02-07-2008 | 08:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stillhere153
22, bought the tl type s at 21 because the 350z I bought at 20 got totalled
Hope you dont total the TL now too AL
Old 02-07-2008 | 09:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by leedogg
I have no problem with young folk owning such cars as long as they dont decide to drive off airstrips killing others with them. Then again, that could be Darwin at work.
Now THAT was an ugly situation...for all involved...120mph when they went airborne...
Old 02-07-2008 | 10:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JAH Bless
Now THAT was an ugly situation...for all involved...120mph when they went airborne...
Even i'll agree that too much power given to young people is a bad idea.. That being said, the TL is hardly an m5.. although some older members here make it seem that way /rant
Old 02-07-2008 | 10:44 AM
07 NBP TL-S

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
I've been wondering about this as well. Not so much the "how do you afford it part", but the "why this car" part.

Seems to me the RSX was clearly targeted at the 18 - 24 demographic. Nohting really in the Acura stable to fill RSX's shoes right now though.

It also seems to me the TL is more targeted toward an older (or OLD to you guys ) market, say 28 - 40. A sporty but functional 4-door family sedan. Just right for young family types just getting into the salary band that allows a $500+/month car payment AND a family, home, etc.

Frankly, that ( ^^ ) demographic is who I see mostly driving the TL around here.

But most of the guys in this thread (and many on this site) are much younger with no family (yet). So why not a 350Z or V8 Mustang or RX8 or some other "less practical, more sporty" 2-door?

I just wrote a longgg story about it but decided to just make it short.

Test drove ACURA first because it was the first dealership on the highway

dad was looknig at TSX and i told him to try TL and ended up with TL-S

It's always been the car i wanted because of the LOOKS. I really didn't care

about the specs when i saw the car i was like that had to be it.

I tend to go for the looks rather than functionality haha.

but good thing TL has both (is it too much to ask 30mpg on a TL?=P )
Old 02-07-2008 | 10:52 AM
East Coast Crew

I got this car in 2006 and my dad just paid it all out at once. BALLER!

By the way, how do you even make the payments and insurance if you were paying since 16 years old. When you're 16 in NY, you only get like 8 dollars an hour and you can only work about 20 hrs a week. How is that sufficient to pay for the car? Also, how can you pay for insurance, since you'll be considered high risk.
Old 02-07-2008 | 10:54 AM
Pro

im 22. had a 98 prelude. got tired of driving stick and wanted a biger car. got the type s rather then the g35x. better deal and better looking car. i work in radiology. bought both cars myself. this is by far the most i ever spend but then, by the end of the year i will be putting myself back to school which going to cost even more.

ohh and i pay rent also...
Old 02-07-2008 | 10:55 AM
Race Director

TLyoung'un,

You can go fast in any car, the difference is how long it takes for you to accelerate.

Young drivers (unexperienced) drivers tend to focus on speed, not on what's ahead.

I've learned a few times the hard way. You must be aware of your surroundings at all times...for example today here was my situation.

It's two way traffic street by my garage (single lane each), as I creep out of the garage, I stop, and show a left turning signal to come out, I had a car stop for me to let me thru, as I slowly come out to go in the lane, a taxi cab, decides to go around the stopped car (while he definitely seen me as I was already way out of my driverway on the street), and he missed me by 10 inches....that shook me up, and I'm still pissed off about it...

I caught up to him, and of course he cursed ME out and blamed ME....I returned the favor...but getting back to the point, I've seen this idiot at the last second, I slammed on brakes, and turned the wheels away from the incoming car.

I really think that everyone must retake a road test every let's say 5 to 10 years....
Old 02-07-2008 | 11:00 AM
East Coast Crew

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
TLyoung'un,

You can go fast in any car, the difference is how long it takes for you to accelerate.

Young drivers (unexperienced) drivers tend to focus on speed, not on what's ahead.

I've learned a few times the hard way. You must be aware of your surroundings at all times...for example today here was my situation.

It's two way traffic street by my garage (single lane each), as I creep out of the garage, I stop, and show a left turning signal to come out, I had a car stop for me to let me thru, as I slowly come out to go in the lane, a taxi cab, decides to go around the stopped car (while he definitely seen me as I was already way out of my driverway on the street), and he missed me by 10 inches....that shook me up, and I'm still pissed off about it...

I caught up to him, and of course he cursed ME out and blamed ME....I returned the favor...but getting back to the point, I've seen this idiot at the last second, I slammed on brakes, and turned the wheels away from the incoming car.

I really think that everyone must retake a road test every let's say 5 to 10 years....
Must have been in Manhattan...lol. I hate those damn Taxi drivers because they never abide by driving rules. It's like another world out there.
Old 02-07-2008 | 12:00 PM
04 NBP 6MT Navi

I just barely qualified for this thread since I'll be 23 in 20 days or so.. The TL is sweet and when I saw the 3g's come out I wanted one ever since, so I picked an 04 NBP 6MT w/ Navi up in Dec. 07. Ever since I have been driving it, I noticed that there are a TON of TL's up here in New Hampshire but noone seems to be our age which is a good feeling.

Had a 96 Maxima since I was 16 and figured since I graduated college its time to graduate from a 11 yr old car! I'm in love with it and all my friends are jealous.

The only thing that needs to go are those god damn EL42 tires that the dealership put on when I bought it, man do those things suck in the snow!
Old 02-07-2008 | 12:11 PM
Cruising in my

I'm 23 now but I got my TL when I was still 22. I've always been very fond of Acura.

My first car was a Honda Accord > then I got a Acura Legend > then the 2006 TL

I've had the car for just over a year and a half and I'll be paying this thing off for a few more years to come.
Old 02-07-2008 | 01:09 PM
Intermediate

im now 19, daddy got it for me when i was 17 and is paying for it presently. my dad told me to start looking for whatever i wanted however, this is the only car i wanted, ((well kinda wanted the jeep srt, but he said it was to fast lol)) what he didnt know was about the hidden power in this car hahah. i didnt want a bmw, audi, or lexus. i loved the tl's design, i dont think there is a better lookinjg car out there. at my highschool in greenwich ct nobody else had this car, i loved it, everyone else had the same cars, such as audis and what not. i now attend Seton Hall University and my little brother is now driving my car since you cant have your car here until your a senior((prolly transferring for this reason lol)) but yeh thats it! love my tl and wouldnt trade it for anything!!!
Old 02-07-2008 | 03:52 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

im 21 yrs old now, first vehicle purchased was a 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor when i was 17, 2 1/2 years later was rear endded and it was considered totalled..bought my first TL, it was certified pre-owned 2004 acura tl, had it for 3 months and hated the fact i didnt have navi so i traded in my 2004 TL with no navi and 47K miles for a 2005 TL w/ navi and 25K miles for a little more but i had to cash so i paid it off, and been happy ever since. Reason for getting a TL instead of a "Mustang" im a tech freak and very into gadgets which the TL def has. i work as a network administrator for a large IT company in downtown Manhattan and DJ on weekends as a hobby
Old 02-07-2008 | 04:04 PM
Unofficial Goat

I simply HATE 2 doors, I do a lot of highway driving, usually with lots of crap in the boot. I simply need the space, I also usually have a passenger or 2 on these hauls so space is important. Also I personally can't stand getting out of the back seat of a 2 door so I won't subject other people to that. I like the fact that when people ride with me they are comfortable the whole time, and I can provide a very safe means of transportation.

The TL does all that for me and more because it still offers that sport ride and handling and some good grunt when you want to have fun. When I was purchasing I crunched all the numbers between the TSX and TL and at the time and finance rates they were offering over a 4 year term the TL was cheaper, not that I financed it but that was a convincing factor. Also for myself the insurance on the TL was about 500 cheaper.

Right now I'm starting to consider a different vehicle but it will still be a 4 door luxury sedan and 6MT. I think i'll save my 2 door coupes for when I'm a little older and can afford a weekend car.
Old 02-07-2008 | 04:59 PM
WDP- lovin' every minute!

well im 22 about to be 23 on the ides of march but i just got my baby in sept of 07' and i cant' say enough how happy i am with my purchase... i work full time and go to school full time so i have a very busy schedule but when i look at her its all worth it.

as far as the reason why i chose this car over others its pretty simple. its Reliable 1st and foremost, and not every other person in my neighborhood owns one ESPECIALLY with mods -- you see soo many Altimas, maximas, Civics all these Sedans but you hardly ever see a TL. Suffice to say i get plenty of stares Besides it was a bargain at 21k w/ navi 54k miles and 100k extended warranty!
Old 02-07-2008 | 05:00 PM
Instructor

I bought my '07 KBP TL-S in April @ 19 by myself. My past two cars have been coupes ('96 Chrysler Sebring i purchased myself at 16, '03 Dodge Stratus R/T i bought myself at 18)...

I chose the TL because i have always admired the looks...and frankly i have matured past my "sport coupe" days. I drive a ton of miles and love the overall looks and technology of the TL. My last car was faster (bought it from a guy who put a turbo on it) but the TL is just way more practical. I will take luxury over top-speed any day!

I have worked since i was 14. I currently go to school full time (16 hours a week) and work approximately 50 hours a week for an Entertainment / Production company as a Production Manager and DJ. I am very grateful for the opportunities as far as jobs and pay i have had so far, as they are the only reason i can afford to pay all my own car payments ($500/month for 5 years after trading in my last car), insurance, gas, maintenance and other life expenses (monthly mortgage payments to myself so i can get a condo soon)....

Props to all of the <22 year olds who bought the TL for themselves. It's a ton of work to get it, but it's definately worth it!
Old 02-08-2008 | 12:40 AM
Stop Drop and Roll

Sweet. Im 25, college grad from the University of Arizona and got into an accident with my 00 v6 honda accord in june, borrowed parents car until i found "the right" car and found myself a 06 nbp/parchment w/ navi w/ 18k miles for a great price. Now i have car payments for 5 years, rent, insurance, etc and just moved to Cali (bay area) and am looking for a job I have lol. I have money saved up but no more money invested so i can swing the payments for a while. Its not a very practical in terms of price and what i can afford right now, but i love the car, love how it drives, low how it sounds, love how it looks.

Additionally, always been a fan of sedans, and the TL combines sportiness, good looks, technology and luxury all rolled into one. And being in the TL just makes me feel much more mature than if i was driving a mustang or any other younger person coupe. Plus when people sit in the back of the coupe, there are so many scuff marks left behind and its way more comfortable sitting in/getting in and out of a sedan.
Old 02-08-2008 | 07:38 AM
Cruisin'

I'm 22 years old just recently bought a 2008 WDP TL-S. Also, I own 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 V8, 2007 Kawasaki Ultra 250x Jet Ski, and 1991 Honda Civic HB SI (my daily driving car). Why did I choose the TL-S and not other luxury car in it's class? Because buying the TL I feel like I get a lot more for what I paid for vs. buying other luxury car. You still have to add this and that (navi package, premium package, and sports package it adds up. The TL-S is loaded with everything I needed navi, cool electronics feature, and super nice interior. I paid 36k out the door for it. How did I pay for all this? I sit around at home and have someone else pay for it. J/K! I work for Johnson & Johnson medical company as an Extrusion Specialist. My cost of living and everything I own is all paid for by myself.
Old 02-13-2008 | 11:11 PM
Intermediate

Smile

My first post

I turned 21 in December.

When I turned 18, I opened up a bank account, then got my first credit card.

Paid off the card wisely, then started getting offers in the mail.

Got one card, then another, paid them off wisely as well.

Shortly after I turned 19, financed a 2006 Accord on my own with no parental help. (8.5% interest rate, but gotta start somewhere)

Paid it off for two years perfectly.

Got more credit cards, paid them off wisely as well. I now have about 40k available over a few cards. I pay them off in full every month though.

Sold the Accord, paid off the remaining balance.

This set me up to be able to get a TL. I decided I'm going to lease from now on and never buy again, because I don't drive more than 15,000 miles a year, and I like change every so often.

I qualified for Honda's highest credit tier to lease.

08 TL Base Black on Black... 15,000 a year... 440 a month with taxes included... nothing down.

That's doable for a college student eh?
Old 02-13-2008 | 11:45 PM
Pink things in...

Originally Posted by ChattTL85
i just turned 23 in january....got my TL 2 weeks after i turned 23- i have an 05 anthracite
Very similar.

I turned 23 in january....guess I missed the cutoff

Parents bought my 05 SSM as an early grad gift (graduated last may).

I'm more than grateful for everything they've done for me.
Old 02-14-2008 | 12:25 AM
Intermediate

bought my tl last month, turned 21 about a few months ago and yes going to college and paying it myself. love the car
Old 02-14-2008 | 12:28 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pres586
My first post

I turned 21 in December.

When I turned 18, I opened up a bank account, then got my first credit card.

Paid off the card wisely, then started getting offers in the mail.

Got one card, then another, paid them off wisely as well.

Shortly after I turned 19, financed a 2006 Accord on my own with no parental help. (8.5% interest rate, but gotta start somewhere)

Paid it off for two years perfectly.

Got more credit cards, paid them off wisely as well. I now have about 40k available over a few cards. I pay them off in full every month though.

Sold the Accord, paid off the remaining balance.

This set me up to be able to get a TL. I decided I'm going to lease from now on and never buy again, because I don't drive more than 15,000 miles a year, and I like change every so often.

I qualified for Honda's highest credit tier to lease.

08 TL Base Black on Black... 15,000 a year... 440 a month with taxes included... nothing down.

That's doable for a college student eh?
Nice, I put 2gs down @ $380 a month for 12,000 miles. I totally agree on leasing a car. Cant wait 3 years from now
Old 02-14-2008 | 12:53 AM
Indian Acura Driver

Originally Posted by shubysingh
o yea, ive been workin for my dad, but ive never been paid (brown people, says he's "saving" it for me)
the least i can do for giving me such an amazing car is to let him "save" my money

Hahahahahaha, my dad pulled the exact same stunt. Until i took over last year and told him i'd be "saving" his money. He wasn't thrilled.... But i never got a car out of it...but eh.

Chances are when i'm older, i'd have one car bought and one car leased. Only because we throw a LOT of miles onto our cars. In 2.5 years we put 120k miles on the Caravan. On our EL in 3 years we're at 70k miles. So to lease a car...not happening at ALL. But i get tired of cars really fast, too so i need to keep switching.
Old 02-14-2008 | 01:33 AM
Feenin on some 20's

holla...
Old 02-14-2008 | 02:00 AM
Racer

purchased my 03 tl s right when i turned 21. i got ripped off though. stupid ron tonkin honda! oh well my cars sweet even though its bone stock