Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 TSX Special Edition Loaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2012 TSX Special Edition Loaner

So I just took in my '08 TL-S for it's power steering hose recall and received - to my horror - a TSX loaner. I actually think the TSX is a pretty nice car but as a loaner car it is the least desirable of all the cars available, that and the fact that they usually don't use V6 models as loaners. I've had as loaners: 2012 MDX SH-AWD w/Tech, 2012 TL Base w/Tech, 2009 TSX w/Tech. I like to be able to try out different cars when possible so I was a tad disappointed.

However as I went to load up the trunk I saw the 'Special Edition' badge on the trunk and became intrigued. Then as I climbed into the driver seat I became even more intrigued. Red stitching everywhere, red LEDs, red accents on the interior materials, etc. I felt much more at home as it reminded me of the red color scheme in my TL-S.

Pulled out of the lot and proceeded back home where I'd forgotten something for work. That gave me a chance to get out, take some snapshots with my phone and ultimately take a good look at the exterior and interior changes. The last one I'd been in was a 2009 in a maroonish color and I had decided that while both the interior and exterior were nice, if I were in the market shopping between the current gen TSX/TL, then the 4th gen TL interior is much nicer and I'd have a hard time choosing the TSX over the TL if money was not too much a factor. This 'Special Edition' package has changed my mind a bit. The interior with the suede+leather+red stitching+red LEDs reminds me of the current gen Civic Si. I actually found this to improve the interior as it made it stand out more. The 2009 TSX I'd previously had as a loaner had an interior that was bland and felt substantially cheaper compared to the 4th gen TL. This revised trim adds a sporty flavor to the TSX and masks the cheaper feeling materials used in the interior.

Exterior wise, I'd always thought the current gen TSX was pretty good looking but not good enough to make me want it. It had a slight sporty character but also a blend of luxury styling. But the new body kit - front, rear and sides makes this thing look really good in my opinion, enough to actually make me want it and maybe consider it an option in the future. The front bumper reminds me of the Lexus LFA with the honeycomb style fascia, I think it all flows pretty well and the acura 'beak' actually looks good in this situation. The rear reminds me of the BMW M3/M5 rear bumper with the 'vent' in the middle between the exhausts. Then there's the rims, for some reason I really like the design and color of them. All in all this new trim makes the TSX look much more sporty and I think Acura did a great job with the design. Perhaps the 5G TL will be a stunner like the 3G

Here are some pics in case you've never seen a Special Edition lurking around or you just haven't noticed it. I'm a big fan, at least in black, not too sure how I'd like the body kit on a different color.

Now the question is do they make this TSX in V6 w/Tech Package and with manual transmission??? I'd be all over that
Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 AM
MV612

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
why make another trend about this when everyone else was talking about there loaner on the recall trend?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Azndjay
why make another trend about this when everyone else was talking about there loaner on the recall trend?
I didn't think my post had any relevant information in terms of the 'recall' so why add to that thread? I'm a happy 3G TL-S owner that never really noticed or heard about the TSX SE. Perhaps there are other 3G owners that have not really noticed or seen interior pictures of the TSX SE. It could be enough to sway a potential buyer to at least check it out. Apparently it's about the same price as the base model. If I had to choose between base and SE, I'd definitely take the SE. All in all it is a pleasant surprise and I like how Acura designed the kit.

An after doing some more reading, no tech package and no V6 offered with SE trim. SE is just a different trimmed base model with the option of a manual transmission. Still, not bad
Old 06-28-2012, 10:47 AM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Azndjay
why make another trend about this...
Do you mean thread??
The following users liked this post:
CLtotheTL32 (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 606 Posts
GJ on the pics. I likey the 2nd gen TSX. But in answer to your question:

Originally Posted by vshengr
Now the question is do they make this TSX in V6 w/Tech Package and with manual transmission??? I'd be all over that
The answer is no. They only included the manual with the 4-popper which is a damn pity. Which is why I'm driving a TL right now instead of a 2nd gen TSX.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:02 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Those pedals are pretty much identical to the 5AT TL-S pedals. I love red-stitched alcantara...reminds me of my ITR...
Old 06-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
Let me get this straight. You were horrified to get a brand new $32k car as a LOANER when you took in your 5 yr old at best $23k car? Okay. Got it. Carry on.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:26 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by DiamondJoeQuimby
Let me get this straight. You were horrified to get a brand new $32k car as a LOANER when you took in your 5 yr old at best $23k car? Okay. Got it. Carry on.
That's what I was thinking. Poor guy...
Old 06-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DiamondJoeQuimby
haha yes, in value terms it seems contradictory. but there's the fun factor/personal taste. If I gave you a choice to trade in a '08 Type S with 40,000 miles for a brand spanking new loaded Honda Civic or loaded V4 Honda Accord would you do it? Maybe you would, but I wouldn't, nothing wrong with either side.

In terms of fun factor thats a step down and definitely a step down in performance, etc. I've got a 2003 350z that's worth $8,000 cause it's got 140,000 miles on it. I wouldn't trade that for a new Civic, unless I had the option of trading for the Civic straight up, then selling the Civic, pocketing the difference in value, and buying back the 350z hah.

It's subjective, but getting back on track to 'horrified', probably over exaggerated on my part. I was disappointed that I didn't get another model: TL, RL, ZDX, RDX, etc. Of all the 2012 cars available I got the one I was least interested in. I feel very fortunate to have been able to get a loaner, I was just hoping for something else. However it turned out to be quite the pleasant surprise anyways as I find myself loving the new body kit and the revised interior. The base TSX engine is no chump, for what it is, rated at 200HP and I think 174TQ. Great throttle response, loves to rev, very nimble and quick feeling. If I was given this car, I'd love it. I prefer my TL-S but I'm not bashing the TSX at all, I love the new trim and changes made and I felt it has become much more appealing to myself. If anything I'm showing Acura some love They aren't perfect and even the SE has it's shortcomings, no tech package, no option for V6. But I like the changes they made

Sorry if I offended anyone, I was just trying to share my surprise in discovering the changes made to the 2012 TSX Special Edition.
Indy04TL (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
those rims are fucking ugly.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
haha yes, in value terms it seems contradictory. but there's the fun factor/personal taste. If I gave you a choice to trade in a '08 Type S with 40,000 miles for a brand spanking new loaded Honda Civic or loaded V4 Honda Accord would you do it? Maybe you would, but I wouldn't, nothing wrong with either side.

In terms of fun factor thats a step down and definitely a step down in performance, etc. I've got a 2003 350z that's worth $8,000 cause it's got 140,000 miles on it. I wouldn't trade that for a new Civic, unless I had the option of trading for the Civic straight up, then selling the Civic, pocketing the difference in value, and buying back the 350z hah.

It's subjective, but getting back on track to 'horrified', probably over exaggerated on my part. I was disappointed that I didn't get another model: TL, RL, ZDX, RDX, etc. Of all the 2012 cars available I got the one I was least interested in. I feel very fortunate to have been able to get a loaner, I was just hoping for something else. However it turned out to be quite the pleasant surprise anyways as I find myself loving the new body kit and the revised interior. The base TSX engine is no chump, for what it is, rated at 200HP and I think 174TQ. Great throttle response, loves to rev, very nimble and quick feeling. If I was given this car, I'd love it. I prefer my TL-S but I'm not bashing the TSX at all, I love the new trim and changes made and I felt it has become much more appealing to myself. If anything I'm showing Acura some love They aren't perfect and even the SE has it's shortcomings, no tech package, no option for V6. But I like the changes they made

Sorry if I offended anyone, I was just trying to share my surprise in discovering the changes made to the 2012 TSX Special Edition.
Trade in? No. But you're talking about driving it for what? 10 hours at the most? C'mon. Perspective my man.

I got a white 12 passenger GMC Savannah 2500 panel van (2 seats only) as a loaner when I brought my GTO in for service at a Pontiac dealer when I had it. You should have seen the looks I got when picked my daughter up at school that day.
Healingduck (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw it. I don't like it... inside out.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:48 PM
MV612

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
hell i got a nissan versa for a loaner once and your complaining about a 2012 tsx lol...
Old 06-28-2012, 06:52 PM
'07 TL Type-S

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
I've always really liked the look of the 2g TSX. Way more than the 4g TL. The ''beak'' definitely look flows with the look of the car. There is a guy who lives near me that drives a white TSX with tinted windows and that alone makes the car looks sexy. If I had to choose between the 4g TL or the 2g TSX I'd definitely go with the TSX though. I had no idea there was a special edition one though. I'm guessing since you didn't mention it it doesn't have a v6 in it. That would probably be my only reserve when buying one. I'm a bit surprised they don't offer a V6 manual. Probably not enough demand for it. If they made the 4g TL look something like that I bet more people would have bought it. But it's not all that aggressive looking.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I had the exact same car (yesterday), only in red. I also had my recall done. It's a very peppy car.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:20 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
^Peppy yes, but it's hard to get over the buzzy 4-cylinder motor. The TL's V6 is smooth as butter...
Old 06-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
i got a tsx wagon
Old 06-28-2012, 10:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

You lost me at V4.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
ehhh, I used to like the tsx, till I saw the price diff to a TL (situational) The interior of the tsx is way cheaper than the TL, of course the TL costs more so it is expected.

The tsx interior just felt too cheap IMO for the price it commands
Old 06-29-2012, 12:50 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DRFTN
those rims are fucking ugly.
dear acura,

thank you for undersizing the important parts of your cars for the sake of mpg.

engines and wheels/tires.