Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 TL Switchblade Key

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 05:46 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BASED ON JKAutosports DIY page Part Numbers

35111-SEP-306 is $35.00 (It state this is Memory 1)
35111-SEP-307 is $75.00 (It state this is Memory 2)

The price is from the ACURA online store and the description is also from there.

I do not know why the price different. Maybe someone should confirm this. I really do not trust my dealers part people cuz they are just there to do there job.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
those prices are inaccurate. estore.honda.com lists one for $90, and the other for $42. Yesterday they were both $42. I think $90 is the closest to accurate. Dealers simply don't have the parts (I hear they are backordered) so pricing hasn't been updated.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonywp75
Not only you, but everyone else that is to lazy to DIY. I bet someone will read this and will make this available on ebay and make a shit load of $$$...im almost sure of it.

I know it probably mentioned, but how much is the 07 TL switchblade remote/key?
Or get with Astroboy and find out how little it would cost to be a small business vendor. That would make it much easier to sell here and would save on ebay fees, which would probably be more than what Astroboy would charge, but I can't guarantee that until he finds out what the cost is and how many would be sold.

Something for an entrepreneur to think about. And I am not on commission.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Advanced

Does anyone have pictures of the difference in the two blanks between a 04-06 TL and 07 TL?
Old 11-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Advanced

So in summary.. Is this what we are trying to accomplish?

But the issue at hand is we need a person to dremmel like 100 of these new Key Fobs to make it easier and sell them as a vendor Acurazine or eBay

Can someone just confirm if this is all correct.

In a nutshell....

Get a new 07 Key Fob (Friend @ Acura) - Take Apart
Dremmel the plastic, take out the Blank Key
Replace with Owners TL (Hacksawed Key)
JBWeld Back together
(not sure what imobilizer chip it, but if there is one, make sure to superglue back in)
Let Dry
Sand Down
Prime & Paint
Put Key/Spring Back in Screw back together
Possibly need to exacto knife for extra room for TL Key

Reprogram with directions on JKautosports DIY, and thats it..

Am I missing anything? Is there any loss of functionality with the new Key Fob, Seats etc??

Almost sounds to easy to be true, given you have dremmel, and new Key Fob.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Instructor

This is awesome

I would be very interested in making this mod a reality for me.

I don't mind trying this out myself... but if there's a way to just purchase the keys via a vendor... then I'm all for it. At a reasonable price of course
Old 11-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Intermediate

I was also thinking of an alternate way of doing this...

I was watching some DIY show this weekend where these two brothers were making a chess set. In making the game pieces (bishop, rook, knight, etc) they first made them out of wood on a lathe then cast them in white and black resin. It seems to me, it might be very easy to make the mold if you milled down the laser-cut blank to the right thickness and removed the transponder chip first. Then when it came time to cast the key, insert an 04-06 key blank (pre-trimmed) into the mold and pour the resin mixture in.

This would just save you the hassle of hacking up the 07 fob's laser cut blank and you could potentially churn a lot of these out fast.

I hereby patent this method and demand $$ from anyone who uses it.

But seriously, it may not be a bad idea. I'm going to call around for supplies later this morning, I think. I'll report back if the result is satisfactory.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by carpecervisi

better watch out, the acurazine police are going to demand you become a sponser now
Old 11-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Intermediate

I was also thinking of an alternate way of doing this...

I was watching some DIY show this weekend where these two brothers were making a chess set. In making the game pieces (bishop, rook, knight, etc) they first made them out of wood on a lathe then cast them in white and black resin. It seems to me, it might be very easy to make the mold if you milled down the laser-cut blank to the right thickness and removed the transponder chip first. Then when it came time to cast the key, insert an 04-06 key blank (pre-trimmed) into the mold and pour the resin mixture in.

This would just save you the hassle of hacking up the 07 fob's laser cut blank and you could potentially churn a lot of these out fast.

But seriously, it may not be a bad idea. I'm going to call around for supplies later this morning, I think. I'll report back if the result is satisfactory.
i was thinking about this this too, but it might be rather expensive. but then again, time is money, right? it would take forever to hand craft each and every key.... i wouldn't do this unless i was extremely bored, and had no other work to do.

i've been reading about making molds, etc.... it doesn't seem too hard. i just dunno how much the supplies will cost, or what companies will sell to consumers directly
Old 11-06-2006, 11:01 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by JKautosports
i was thinking about this this too, but it might be rather expensive. but then again, time is money, right? it would take forever to hand craft each and every key.... i wouldn't do this unless i was extremely bored, and had no other work to do.

i've been reading about making molds, etc.... it doesn't seem too hard. i just dunno how much the supplies will cost, or what companies will sell to consumers directly
hmmm.... I know that some jewelers will cast small metal pieces if you provide them with a wax carving of your item. If we could get a mold that produces wax versions of a blank key with the proper back end for mounting to the key fob, couldn't we just take the end product to a key cutter? This way we could produce a bunch of key blanks. I have no idea how much a jeweler would charge to cast a key, but it might be worth it to save the time if we can get a large enough order together. I also don't know if jewelers can cast stainless steel--they usually cast softer metals like brass, silver, gold and platinum.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Intermediate

I'm not sure why I'm fixated on this project but whatever...I guess everyone needs a hobby.

I did four things yesterday: I picked up my original 07 blank from the machinist who milled it to the correct 05 blank thickness. I placed an order for mold and resin casting material. I picked up all of the 07 fobs my dealership had in stock...3 of them (Part No: 3511-SEP-306) which are all marked Memory 2 for some reason. Finally, I picked up an 05 master transponder key blank (Part No: 35113-SY8-T5).

Here is what I'm going to try:
  • Make mold of milled 07 blank
  • Hacksaw unmilled 07 blank to remove steel key
  • Hacksaw 05 blank to remove steel key
  • Make template for 07 steel blank and cut out the shape on the 05 blank
  • Place trimmed 05 blank into 07 mold and resin cast the plastic piece
  • Cross fingers and test fit

The much faster way to get a working key at this point would be to hack up one of my existing keys, trim it down and JB weld the original pieces back together (ala JKautosports) or resin cast a new one and call it a day. However, my machinist is interested in cutting down the 07 blank to match an 05 blank which would eliminate all of this nonsense in one fell swoop.

That's really why I picked up the 05 blank, to get the measurements for him. I still think this approach will be cost prohibitive though unless he really comes down a lot on his per-piece pricing. And that will happen only if there is a ton of interest in something like this...but it's cool to mess with.

I'm not too sure why I bought all of those other 07 fobs so if you're in the Rockville/Frederick area of Maryland shoot me a PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:25 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just called my dealer and he said the 07 tl keys were $125 each! I thought that people were getting them for around $60-$70? WHAT GIVES?
Old 11-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Advanced

Ordered my 07 Fob yesterday for $49
Old 11-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How are people ordering them? I just talked to my parts manager who looked in the system and stated it said an ETA of Feburary for arrival, wtf!
Old 11-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by silver05tl
i just called my dealer and he said the 07 tl keys were $125 each! I thought that people were getting them for around $60-$70? WHAT GIVES?
That's insane. I bought mine for less than $50. Maybe he's including programming or something.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by funkymint
from where?
Old 11-07-2006, 10:56 AM
FOR SALE - BM

<<<--------- cant wait for someone to get this perfected and share with all of us (forum sponser of course)... my accord FOB was ok but fell apart after 2 months and have given up on it, so i don't want to do this myself..
Old 11-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I would be interested if someone could do the mod for me with some strong glue so I dont have to worry about the key flinging into someones eye while trying to show off =)
Old 11-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by funkymint
Yes, from where? Like Lembowski, my local dealer is not able to order the key. So where in the world did you order it from?
Old 11-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Advanced

I asked the guy @ parts "Are you sure you can order it, supposedly they are on back order"
He gave me the exact same part number posted here on AcuraZine for the Memory 1 - 07 Key Fob.. --- He said doesn't seem to be a problem, that it should be in on Thursday/Friday.

If it actually comes through, and there are no problems, I will let you know which specific dealership. I'll just say its in N. VA .. (for now)

Will post when I actually receive it..
Old 11-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

I wonder why every dealer has different ETA on 07 key fobs...

I hope someone can produce some on the side and sell them without getting "become a vendor" pm or something since the person is not making much at all plus all the R&D effort.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Team Anthracite

i live in canada (toronto)... i just walked in the dealer today.. talk to the parts guy.. and like everyone said... the part is on back-order right now...
but it seems cheap in Canada 42CAD Per-Key
he ordered it for me.. and he said he can probably cut the key to spec for me =)
as in 04-06 spec...
i have to wait a week or two but once i know... i will inform you guys =)

and wait did anyone try out the memory 1/2
does all the key work?
Old 11-07-2006, 09:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tidus888
i live in canada (toronto)... i just walked in the dealer today.. talk to the parts guy.. and like everyone said... the part is on back-order right now...
but it seems cheap in Canada 42CAD Per-Key
he ordered it for me.. and he said he can probably cut the key to spec for me =)
as in 04-06 spec...
i have to wait a week or two but once i know... i will inform you guys =)

and wait did anyone try out the memory 1/2
does all the key work?
I am in Toronto too! which dealer did you walked into?
Old 11-07-2006, 09:08 PM
Team Anthracite

north toronto

it will be great if we don't have to retrofit the key blank....

so i am still waiting and the tech guy is figuring stuff out for me =)
Old 11-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tidus888
north toronto

it will be great if we don't have to retrofit the key blank....

so i am still waiting and the tech guy is figuring stuff out for me =)
That would be great! keep us posted!
Old 11-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Instructor

where and how are people getting the switchblade keys for $49? the dealer told me $125. does it make a difference if it is memory key 1 or 2?
Old 11-08-2006, 12:59 AM
Team Anthracite

nope... the price for both Mem1 and Mem2 should be the same
Old 11-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JKautosports

Casting is a not a durable process. I would perfer CNC machining the switch blade key to the regular key. this process is much easier, percise and way more durable. Once they can make a template of the prototype, they can do it with hundreds of them for really cheap price.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Trucki!!

Alright, kookiemonster412 go ahead and order hundreds of keys at $49 a pop and start the process.

The problem is I don't think it is really worth it to do this mod, unless you yourself can do the machining. See after doing a Cost Benefit Analysis myself $50 for the key + say atleast $15 per key machined + shipping charges + paypal fees + vendor fees = not much profit

I will still do this mod but not in high levels I once thought before. I might just do 2 or 3 cause it is really time consuming and not work it. I just can't believe I still want to do this after going through all this 8 months ago with the Accord key mod.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Advanced

I was just wondering if you guys know whether the 07 Key fob will work on my CSX. the reason i'm asking is because the Canadian CSX has the same keys right now as the accord (the wave type keys) so would it be possible to just cut the keys or is there a different immobilizer between the 2 vehicles? seems like it would be a lot easier for me to do that to myCSX as suppose to my TL. THanks!
Old 11-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Just a quick update: I have disassembled the 07 TL remote and am trying to find a resource to do the milling/grinding on the blank. Hopefully I can find a place but worse case, I'll simply do the hacksaw thing JKautosports did to his RDX key and fit an 05 TL blank in there. In my ignorance, I thought he had to saw apart the entire housing, not just the blank where it rotates on its axis.

I'll say this, taking apart the remote was a pain. The little screws holding the spring mechanism in place DID NOT want to come out. The metal on those screw heads were very soft and I ended up using brute force to get the little silver one out because it was completely stripped.

Also, while taking the remote apart, I noticed that the manufacturer was OMRON, not VALEO so hopefully that will make people happy.

I've attached the post-mortem shots below. I'm hoping I can get this all wrapped up by the weekend. Also, can anyone confirm a manual way for normal users to recode the transponder instead of taking it to the dealer? Is this step necessary?

-chad

Piece of Cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a CNC mill and machine shop within 40 feet of my office.

The longitudinal grooves are super easy to mill and can be machined dry without any destrucive disassembly. Once the grooves are milled you just need to take it a keymaker to have the outside form cut.

I'll give my dealer a call and see if I can get one locally.

Keep you guys posted.

lembowski... doubtfull that you'll find a machine shop out there that will clamp the key in a vice for $20 let alone machine the grooves on both sides. $75 - $100 would be more realistic.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Instructor

OK... just got off the phone with the parts dept.

$47.00 for a switchblade key (mem #1 or #2)

I'll order one today and should have it by Friday.

Keep ya posted.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:42 PM
2006 TL RBP AT w/Navi

Originally Posted by FLBusa

Keep ya posted.
yes, keep us posted...

and seems like east coast dealerships have the 07 FOB in stock compared to west coast dealerships... (I called Tustin Acura around Orange County it's back ordered until 12/18...)
Old 11-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Keep ya posted.
Rock On!

We're getting closer and closer... hah!
Old 11-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Trucki!!

Piece of Cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lembowski... doubtfull that you'll find a machine shop out there that will clamp the key in a vice for $20 let alone machine the grooves on both sides. $75 - $100 would be more realistic.
Dad owns a Small Batch Tool & Die shop. So it wouldn't be hard like you said, but there is 2500 miles between us.........so its kinda a hassle

Its not like he would charge me, but I don't want to make it seem like I am using him. Like I said earlier it wouldn't be cost efficient unless you work in that industry and can have free use of the machines on your own time.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by phil17
I was just wondering if you guys know whether the 07 Key fob will work on my CSX. the reason i'm asking is because the Canadian CSX has the same keys right now as the accord (the wave type keys) so would it be possible to just cut the keys or is there a different immobilizer between the 2 vehicles? seems like it would be a lot easier for me to do that to myCSX as suppose to my TL. THanks!
In your case it would be as easy as getting the key cut and putting your immobilizer from your current key in the new 07 Fob then following the programing listed Atleast in theory
Old 11-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by lembowski
In your case it would be as easy as getting the key cut and putting your immobilizer from your current key in the new 07 Fob then following the programing listed Atleast in theory

Thanks a lot. If it works out i'll let u guys know and if the TL situation works out for some of you i might do that for the TL too.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Cruisin'

Does anybody knows how much the dealer charges for setting the imobilizer for our keys?
Old 11-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Originally Posted by kookiemonster412
Does anybody knows how much the dealer charges for setting the imobilizer for our keys?
too much. but on the serious side, each dealer charges differently.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Instructor

ok, 2 questions:
1. what is an immobilizer
2. do I have to change out the immobilizer for the 07TL key to work with my 05TL or can I just reprogram it or something?

Thanks for the help this forum is awesome.

p.s why is my dealer trying to rip me off telling me that the key is $125?

Quick Reply: 2007 TL Switchblade Key