Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 TL (base) vs 2007 Lexus ES350

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 06:26 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 TL (base) vs 2007 Lexus ES350

So originally I was looking at these two, in addition to the 2007 G35. After seeing the gas mileage and little interior space of the G, I chose to leave this out. Besides the obvious, hp, does anyone have any input as to which is better to get. I understand the TL is a bit sportier, and the ES is a bitter softer ride, but if anyone can provide anything else, that would be great!
Old 11-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dj713_seattle
So originally I was looking at these two, in addition to the 2007 G35. After seeing the gas mileage and little interior space of the G, I chose to leave this out. Besides the obvious, hp, does anyone have any input as to which is better to get. I understand the TL is a bit sportier, and the ES is a bitter softer ride, but if anyone can provide anything else, that would be great!
I have looked at both cars before deciding on the TL. Both are great cars. If both are equipped the same, ES is about $6-7k more expensive than the TL. For that amount of money, I would get the RL instead.

If $$ is not the issue, ES is a bit more comfortable. It's quieter, more power, better quality (maybe, cuz it's made in Japan). Also, the safety rating is just a bit better than the TL. You can get up to 10 air bags in the ES. Don't get me wrong, TL is excellent on the safety department, too.

But, there have been many complains on the ES transmission. It's a new transmission that Toyota has. If you do get the ES, make sure it has the late production date.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Imo...

I believe TL_Captain has said it fairly. Both cars got pretty similar testing results (ES seems to look a little better). All other performance aspects are not huge different. However, Lexus sometimes might make driver/passengers themselves vainglorious.

If money is never the issue... Just get the one you like the most, get the one you think it looks better to you and your friends.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx

http://www.nhtsa.gov/
Old 11-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Originally Posted by dj713_seattle
Also consider the type of driving you enjoy...spirited then TL is your choice! ...if you like plushiness and don't mind considerly more body roll! and of course a much higher price! and a few more less options for the money!....one thing I'll also give to the the TL is it's suspension Tautness and where the TL makes it's power in the RPM band !...more in the mid-range and up!.....the TL's interior also hasmotor sport Pizzaz, and the ES put's me to sleep!.....YAWN!
Old 11-22-2006, 08:57 PM
Cruisin'

To equip them the same you need to add the optional Mark Levinson stereo to the ES to compete with the ELS system in the TL.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Team SSM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
haha oh wow...this thread came at the perfect time...my brother was deciding between the TL and ES350, but he has decided on the ES350. He wanted the softer ride and didn't care as much about the TL's sport suspension.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Lexus ES has got to be one of thier ugliest cars....Even the new redesigned one
Old 11-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
For mere 4000 more you get everything that TL has and at least 10-20 different features that TL does not have (not RL). When I hear comments that comparable car will cost 6-7k I want to vomit!!! Please check the standard equipment on ES350 and besides HID and few small items the ES kills the TL in terms of features and content. I hear everywhere TL owners saying “I would gladly pay 1000 more this and that” well – for few more grand the ES is not only on par with TL but it exceeds it in many many other features.
Well, I missed one thing that you will never on most likely never get in ES but it is the standard equipment on EVERY TL – those are rattles/squeaks/buzzes and other crap!! I would be happy to pay 2-3k more for TL if I had known that it will NOT rattle and all panels were tights and not misaligned but I guess in Honda standards that is too much to ask for.

Just to answer you question – I am an enthusiast and I love the TL and the fact that you could get (until 06) 6MT. If I was in the market for automatic car, I would never, never considered this rattle trap.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mlody
For mere 4000 more you get everything that TL has and at least 10-20 different features that TL does not have (not RL). When I hear comments that comparable car will cost 6-7k I want to vomit!!! Please check the standard equipment on ES350 and besides HID and few small items the ES kills the TL in terms of features and content. I hear everywhere TL owners saying “I would gladly pay 1000 more this and that” well – for few more grand the ES is not only on par with TL but it exceeds it in many many other features.
Well, I missed one thing that you will never on most likely never get in ES but it is the standard equipment on EVERY TL – those are rattles/squeaks/buzzes and other crap!! I would be happy to pay 2-3k more for TL if I had known that it will NOT rattle and all panels were tights and not misaligned but I guess in Honda standards that is too much to ask for.

Just to answer you question – I am an enthusiast and I love the TL and the fact that you could get (until 06) 6MT. If I was in the market for automatic car, I would never, never considered this rattle trap.

<--- waiting for the resident lexus owners to laugh at you with the rattle comments you make.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:22 AM
Cruisin'

For mere 4000 more you get everything that TL has and at least 10-20 different features that TL does not have (not RL). When I hear comments that comparable car will cost 6-7k I want to vomit!!!
You are right in theory. But the frustrating thing about Lexus, according to their own web site, is that only certain option bundles are available in any given market. Where I live, I need to buy a $9,930 minimum option package just to get nav and upgraded audio (needed to compete with the TL system -- I've compared them). By that time, it's $7,020 more than a TL + nav. Yes, it does have more features, but $7k also puts it in a completely different price bracket. Maybe there's some way around these option bundles, but this is what I am seeing from the Lexus website, and carsdirect.com is imposing similar restrictions.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:35 AM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
I personally think that people will get what they feel more comfortable with. For example I test drove the ES and true it was a comfortable car, but it did not have that sporty feel that I was looking into. And I must disagree with that "rattling crap" or whatever was said, My car has yet to have a rattle. And it has 18,000 miles on it to date. But its all a matter of preference, and please don't give cars bad names, its all on how the owner perceives it and how they treat it.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:43 AM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
uhhh sorry folks, you should all save the 10k+, BUY A TOYOTA CAMRY and slap on es350 badges, most people won't know the difference, the cars look EXACTLY the same WTF is toyota thinking on this one?

thank god Honda has made a "concerted" effort to make the honda and acura's look quite a bit different...especially on the exterior

but seriously though, buy a camry for 25k, slap on es350 badges, you'll have 9 out of 10 people fooled, THIS HAS BEEN TESTED ON MSNBC!
Old 11-23-2006, 08:42 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gauravp123
uhhh sorry folks, you should all save the 10k+, BUY A TOYOTA CAMRY and slap on es350 badges, most people won't know the difference, the cars look EXACTLY the same WTF is toyota thinking on this one?

thank god Honda has made a "concerted" effort to make the honda and acura's look quite a bit different...especially on the exterior

but seriously though, buy a camry for 25k, slap on es350 badges, you'll have 9 out of 10 people fooled, THIS HAS BEEN TESTED ON MSNBC!

no matter what you say, at the end:
Honda Accord = Acura TL
Toyota Camry = Lexus ES

And to be fair, Acura is not even close to Lexus (materials/finish/image..)
Old 11-23-2006, 09:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts

ummm....there are many owners of the new ES not only complaining of the tranny woes but also the fact that the ES DOES rattle.

IMHO the ES and TL althought both being FWD are built for two different types of consumers.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Not the old Lexus vs. Acura thing again...

The ES350 sits at the bottom of the Lexus range, whereas the TL sits near the top of the Acura product line. Lexus owners will always sneer at Acura owners for the simple reason that our (nearly) best car is only about on par with their most modest. Personally, I do like the fit and finish of the ES350, but not too enamored by its floatiness.