Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 DRL's and Fogs

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Couldn't be happier!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 DRL's and Fogs

Does anyone know what bulbs are used as the Daytime Running Lamps?

What about the fog lights?

I'd like to change the bulbs for them to match my HID's

thanks
Old 12-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Couldn't be happier!

anyone?
Old 12-22-2006, 12:32 AM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Im curious too, ive heard that the fogs are H8, but im not sure about that. I also hate the way the DRLs have that halogen look so i wanna change those too. And I also want to know how to change the fog light bulbs.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:20 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

The DRLs are likely the same as the Canadian TL which use a 9004 single element high beam halogen bulb driven at 50%.

The 2 DRLs are hooked up in series giving each one 6volts = 1/2 the power and much less brightness. Most bulbs color shift to yellow as you dim them so even a super blue bulb might not appear white. I've tried a few different bulbs but no visible difference. Mind you I only tried what Wallmart had and stopped short of spending more than 15 per bulb so it will be interesting to see what people come up with now that we have more folks with the DRLs.

The one mod that might be nice would be to add a relay to the system to allow full brightness (12volt ea. bulb) anytime you have your highs on. My guess is you'd need more robust wiring to run them at full on, but I wonder if the assemblies would be okay with the additional heat, and again more heat if you use fancy bulbs that are over 60W.

One problem with DRLs is that when it gets dark you think you have your lights on and you don't realize they are off, until someone flashes you. Automatic light control is a feature that should be combined with the DRLs but the 04-06 don't have it. Does the 07 have automatic light control ?
Old 12-23-2006, 09:49 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by triggle
The DRLs are likely the same as the Canadian TL which use a 9004 single element high beam halogen bulb driven at 50%.

The 2 DRLs are hooked up in series giving each one 6volts = 1/2 the power and much less brightness. Most bulbs color shift to yellow as you dim them so even a super blue bulb might not appear white. I've tried a few different bulbs but no visible difference. Mind you I only tried what Wallmart had and stopped short of spending more than 15 per bulb so it will be interesting to see what people come up with now that we have more folks with the DRLs.

The one mod that might be nice would be to add a relay to the system to allow full brightness (12volt ea. bulb) anytime you have your highs on. My guess is you'd need more robust wiring to run them at full on, but I wonder if the assemblies would be okay with the additional heat, and again more heat if you use fancy bulbs that are over 60W.

One problem with DRLs is that when it gets dark you think you have your lights on and you don't realize they are off, until someone flashes you. Automatic light control is a feature that should be combined with the DRLs but the 04-06 don't have it. Does the 07 have automatic light control ?
Yes, the 07s have standard Auto On/Off headlights. I think having HIDs replacing the DRLs would cause them to flicker. Since DRL is cutting the power on and off to get the half power look. Since HIDs are LED like in the power up and off, I believe you would notice a flickering.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:57 AM
Cruisin'

My 07 Type S has Auto lights, I assume the standard has auto as well
Old 12-23-2006, 09:59 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CometVR4
Yes, the 07s have standard Auto On/Off headlights. I think having HIDs replacing the DRLs would cause them to flicker. Since DRL is cutting the power on and off to get the half power look. Since HIDs are LED like in the power up and off, I believe you would notice a flickering.
Most aftermarket kits come with a relay system though, where the power comming through your OEM harness isnt actually powering the HID's. It's just used as a signal to turn on the relay. They usually include some heavier duty wire to run to your battery as well
Old 12-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 07WDP
Does anyone know what bulbs are used as the Daytime Running Lamps?

What about the fog lights?

I'd like to change the bulbs for them to match my HID's

thanks

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148010
Old 12-23-2006, 05:24 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

Originally Posted by CometVR4
You're implying the DRLs are modulated to get them dim. The CDN model has always had DRLs (Can. law since '89) and they are hooked in series 12Volt / 2 = 6Volt per DRL (equates to <30 Watt per DRL). Maybe they are hooked up differently for 07 but if they are modulated it would require additional circuitry to implement the DRLs.

Could you please clarify if the lights go on automatically when it is dark and off when it is light. The 04-06 has the auto light shutoff but it does not sense darkness and automatically turn the lights on without user input.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:18 AM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
You're implying the DRLs are modulated to get them dim. The CDN model has always had DRLs (Can. law since '89) and they are hooked in series 12Volt / 2 = 6Volt per DRL (equates to <30 Watt per DRL). Maybe they are hooked up differently for 07 but if they are modulated it would require additional circuitry to implement the DRLs.

Could you please clarify if the lights go on automatically when it is dark and off when it is light. The 04-06 has the auto light shutoff but it does not sense darkness and automatically turn the lights on without user input.

The standard 07 TLs have the automatic lights that have a light sensor. So when it gets dark out, or if you go into a dark tunnel, the lights automatically go on, then when you go into light they automatically go off.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:20 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Originally Posted by sunny201
The standard 07 TLs have the automatic lights that have a light sensor. So when it gets dark out, or if you go into a dark tunnel, the lights automatically go on, then when you go into light they automatically go off.
This is one of the features alot of us have been whining about not having in the 04-06. Glad to hear you have it so you won't be getting flashed for having your lights off..ever.