3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 2006 TL still a worthwhile purchase in 2022?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 07:41 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is the 2006 TL still a worthwhile purchase in 2022?

I owned a 3.2 CL Type-S 6MT for many years and about 3 years ago decided to upgrade to a 2019 TLX A-Spec. Nice car but I'm finding that I'm really starting to miss my old manual transmission. Doesn't help that the way the TLX's transmission is mapped results in a ton of lag unless you're driving it in Sport+ all the time. So I'm looking for a fun 2nd car that isn't going to cost too much money to purchase and own.

Anyway I came across a 2006 TL 6MT with 290,000kms. Body and interior are in decent shape. Haven't gone to see it yet so I don't know about the engine / suspension etc. It's being sold for $6800 Canadian. Doesn't look like it was modded by a 20 year old or thrashed but who knows. The seller did a good job of cleaning it up for the photos.

My question is:
Is it worthwhile to consider buying this TL (or any similar TL)? I'm thinking it probably has another 50-100 thousand kms left if it was properly maintained. I can probably own it for 4-5 years since I don't drive to work anymore. But I honestly don't how much to expect out of a 16 year old Acura.

So is it a wise decision to go this route or should I put my money towards something else? I'm also looking at a '13 Mustang V6 manual, a '12 BMW 328i manual (2 door), or a '12 Audi A5 S-Line manual. I'd consider a 2015+ Mustang but it's out of my price range. I'm also considering an '13 Accord V6 6MT (2 door) (pretty much the same as my old CL but without the limited slip diff).
I'm willing to try a new brand but I value reliability, gear box feel, and visibility / safety when driving. Not so much into speed / acceleration as long as the drive is engaging.

What do you guys think?

Old 01-12-2022, 08:30 PM
Drifting

Received 799 Likes on 487 Posts
I think you should get what you like driving the most, considering the TL is 6 years older than the rest of the pack.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
doesn't matter how much maint has been done to the car at this point the car is decade and half old. Anything could break at this point unless the owner replace everything with new parts (which is impossible).

If you like the car for nostalgia (spell check that plz) then buy one and restore it yourself, depending on your wrenching skill this may effect your car buying choice. As far as thinking buying one and not have to worry about fixing for a while then a newer car would be a better choice. Most AZ owner who recently reacquired 3G TL for the sole purpose of restore and enjoy as weekend car. Myself is included within that pool as well.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:39 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Fixing an old car is always cheaper than a new car, within reason, that is. I daily drive a 2007 TL and a 2007 RDX. Things will break, but it's small stuff here and there.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:05 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simple Answer is No

I can't in good conscience recommend that u get this... I've owned many Hondas and if you're looking for reliable fun to drive luxury on a budget Lexus IS350 should be your first choice. These old TLs use a Solid Solution Lifter and after 100k miles and 10+ years MOST OF THEM not all.. but MOST are really slow and really bad on gas. Honda has significantly improved their Valve Timing and Cylinders management over the years.. but I would not buy this car if I had a choice to get something better. Get the Mustang before u get the TL it's much faster just as well made.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:14 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,409 Posts
Originally Posted by 3GTLFan
I can't in good conscience recommend that u get this... I've owned many Hondas and if you're looking for reliable fun to drive luxury on a budget Lexus IS350 should be your first choice. These old TLs use a Solid Solution Lifter and after 100k miles and 10+ years MOST OF THEM not all.. but MOST are really slow and really bad on gas. Honda has significantly improved their Valve Timing and Cylinders management over the years.. but I would not buy this car if I had a choice to get something better. Get the Mustang before u get the TL it's much faster just as well made.
Sorry, I don't know where you get the ideal the mid-2000s vintage J-Series motors don't age well, but your information couldn't be further from the truth. There are any number of folks around here with hundreds of thousands of miles on their engines and they still perform as well as they did the day they rolled off the showroom floor. I have had two J-Series motors, a J30A1 and a J32A3; the first was still in perfect condition after 200,000 miles when I sold the old girl and the second only has 176,000 miles on it, and it too is still more than capable of 33 mpg on the highway and spirited sprints to well over 100 mph.
The following users liked this post:
TheSauceBoss (01-15-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 10:40 PM
Transmission Pro

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Transmissions need rebuilding after around 175k-225k miles. I can help you with that if you're interested. Also good time to consider final drive upgrade.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:42 PM
Transmission Pro

Originally Posted by truonghthe
doesn't matter how much maint has been done to the car at this point the car is decade and half old. Anything could break at this point unless the owner replace everything with new parts (which is impossible).

If you like the car for nostalgia (spell check that plz) then buy one and restore it yourself, depending on your wrenching skill this may effect your car buying choice. As far as thinking buying one and not have to worry about fixing for a while then a newer car would be a better choice. Most AZ owner who recently reacquired 3G TL for the sole purpose of restore and enjoy as weekend car. Myself is included within that pool as well.
This is an inaccurate blanket statement.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
I'm local to you ( I think). I've seen a 06 6mt pop up recently...I show you mine to give you an idea of what things to look for
Old 01-14-2022, 02:33 AM
Transmission Pro

Originally Posted by MyGuti
I'm local to you ( I think).
You're loco to me!

Ohhhhh burnnnnnnnnnnn
Old 01-14-2022, 08:19 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
A lot of opinions posted.

If you think it's worth getting, then go for it. Every vehicle requires maintenance. You might get lucky and not need to invest much into it or you might not be... Good luck on whatever you decide
Old 01-14-2022, 01:13 PM

Disagree.

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Sorry, I don't know where you get the ideal the mid-2000s vintage J-Series motors don't age well, but your information couldn't be further from the truth. There are any number of folks around here with hundreds of thousands of miles on their engines and they still perform as well as they did the day they rolled off the showroom floor. I have had two J-Series motors, a J30A1 and a J32A3; the first was still in perfect condition after 200,000 miles when I sold the old girl and the second only has 176,000 miles on it, and it too is still more than capable of 33 mpg on the highway and spirited sprints to well over 100 mph.
I owned the J30A1. Contrary to what you stated this engine is actually one of Honda's worst engines of all time. In 1999 an issue was identified in the ECU that would cause improper valve timing and cylinder firing. This would cause the vehicles to stall out after long idles, lose major HP, and have difficulty starting up due to build of vapor in the fuel lines. The J30A1 was however much better in gas. (I can say that from experience) However That engine never made over 205 HP to the wheels brand new.. and THEY ALL burned oil at around 175k miles.
my problem with the 3rd gen TL is theyre just as fast as those accords with "no issues"
Old 01-14-2022, 01:53 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
I owned the J30A1. Contrary to what you stated this engine is actually one of Honda's worst engines of all time. In 1999 an issue was identified in the ECU that would cause improper valve timing and cylinder firing. This would cause the vehicles to stall out after long idles, lose major HP, and have difficulty starting up due to build of vapor in the fuel lines. The J30A1 was however much better in gas. (I can say that from experience) However That engine never made over 205 HP to the wheels brand new.. and THEY ALL burned oil at around 175k miles.
my problem with the 3rd gen TL is theyre just as fast as those accords with "no issues"
Not going to discount your own experience but I have to agree with horseshoez. The J series engine has been a super reliable engine - why do you think is is/was in use for 20+ years?
Old 01-14-2022, 02:08 PM

What Does Reliable Mean To You

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Not going to discount your own experience but I have to agree with horseshoez. The J series engine has been a super reliable engine - why do you think is is/was in use for 20+ years?
not to say the j35 isn't reliable. I will say that it is engineered to be really understressed.
Reliability to many people is the simple fact that it turns on and drives every day. Any J series is probably gonna serve that purpose for you. Just because Honda used it for 20+ years doesn't mean it's anything special. It worked for them. It served a purpose for most of their every day buyers. I'm just saying that if you're buying a Honda that's over 10 years old and you plan on keeping it.. you should buy a 4 cylinder because theyre way cheaper to maintain, and the V6s are slow AF. If you're not gonna have power u should at least get some gas mileage.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:32 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for all the input and help. I'm definitely thinking twice now about the TL. On one hand I do feel the J series motor is solid - the one in my old 3.2 CL was rock solid before I got rid of the car. But it is true that a 16 year old car is going to need some repairs no matter what. I guess it's easier to justify if you already own a TL.

Here's the link to the car I was considering.
https://www.kijijiautos.ca/cars/acur.../#vip=23529220

Nice suggestion to look at an IS250/IS350. I originally wanted a 2015+ Mustang but the prices of those have gone way up lately!

I'm gonna have to test drive a few of these cars and see which one I'm comfortable with. Good advice.
Old 01-14-2022, 03:59 PM
Latent car nut

Look around dude, there are literally tens of thousands of positive reviews on J-Series engines, here and elsewhere, and with the exception of the J37 with the oil issues, you will see thousands of positive reviews for every malcontent like you.
The following 2 users liked this post by horseshoez:
NBP04TL4ME (01-15-2022), zeta (01-14-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 10:31 AM

Yeah but..

Once again.. I'm not gonna straight up say that the J series is an "unreliable" engine.. lol but I know that nobody with any 10 yr old Honda v6 is getting up to 60mph from a full stop in under 9 seconds. They're ARE NOT fast anymore. The reason is ppl dont take care of them. The camshafts are all worn out because nobody gets valve adjustments when they're supposed to. Honda dealers will refuse to do them even unless there's chattering coming from the valves. Unless the Valve adjustment has been done in these cars every 30k miles from the time its new.. it WILL NOT make stock power at 100k miles. It simply cannot will not happen. Post video proof is u say otherwise. Hondas are all slow. V6s are even worse cause they weigh too much, and no they DO NOT get 33mpg
Old 01-15-2022, 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 215 Posts
Dumbass takes aside, the original point of this thread was asking whether it's a worthwhile purchase in 2022. And the simple answer is: it depends on your needs.

It's doubtful OP is looking for a racecar. But if you want something practical, reliable, and fun to drive, an 06 may (or may not) be the car for you. The most significant flaw of the 04-06 was the fragile 5AT, and since you said the one you're looking at is a manual, I'd say you're already ahead of the curve.

Yeah, things will break. It's an older car. But like most things in life, they will last if they are properly taken care of. Maintenance history will be worth looking into, and inspecting the car yourself will be key. I'd be more worried about the suspension components and axles over the engine. 180k miles is nothing for that engine, IF it has had regular fluid changes and maintenance. Just depends, of course.

I'd say go check it out. You get a ton of a bang for your buck with a car like this. You can get away with a relatively cheap car and have some money left over for maintenance.

Worst case scenario, you walk away and you're back to square one.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:32 AM

Key Word.. Maintenance

Yes indeed. The most important thing in these cars is the maintenance. The maintenance in these cars is rather high. And MANY ppl buy Hondas and want the reliability without the maintenance. The V6 engine is really reliable.. but if you're in the market for this car you're most likely looking for something that is 1. Fun To Drive and 2. Reliable.
the issue with the 3rd gen TL is that if you're going to buy a used one with 150k on it.. you're probably gonna need 1500-2500 bucks right off the bat to restore lost stock power. These cars are bad for their Cats to get clogged up which kills power and MPG. I'll reiterate the MAJOR IMPORTANCE of Valve Adjustments and the HAVOC you will experience if that is not done.. Not to mention the dashboards and the seats on these cars usually look like a desert with all the cracks.
Another thing is these cars are cheap but not THAT cheap. I wouldnt be willing to pay over 4k for an 06 with anywhere over 120k on it. They're ARE high maintenance.. originally I bought this car because I was told by so many they were problem free fun to drive cats.
The TRUTH is that they only stay fun to drive if you're willing to shell out more and more cash. With the lackluster build quality and cosmetic issues that inevitably come as well. Not really worth it to me anymore unless you're just die hard Acura fan and you'll die if u don't get one. They're expensive to maintain if you want it driving at peak performance. There's simply a lot of other cars that are less maintenance and even more fun. Acura did will with this car but they could have done better.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:47 AM
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
I have an 05 Mt with 240,000 mi
my original clutch is finally starting to slip.
been through brakes, new starter, motor mounts, compliance bushings, two timing belt changes.

engine runs perfect and trans shifts smoothly

that said if I didn’t have **** NJ mechanic Paul here in NJ I’d probably not fix the clutch and just move on.

As long as repairs are within reason I’ll keep fixing this car. No way am I paying msrp or more for a new accord, Camry or similar daily

horseshoez (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 11:58 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by BillMFD3
I have an 05 Mt with 240,000 mi
my original clutch is finally starting to slip.
been through brakes, new starter, motor mounts, compliance bushings, two timing belt changes.

engine runs perfect and trans shifts smoothly

that said if I didn’t have **** NJ mechanic Paul here in NJ I’d probably not fix the clutch and just move on.

As long as repairs are within reason I’ll keep fixing this car. No way am I paying msrp or more for a new accord, Camry or similar daily
The original owner of my 2006 6MT was none-too-kind to the clutch and it was already starting to slip when I bought the car with 114,000 miles on it. When I did the clutch I also put in a new rear main seal since the tranny was already out; the extra few dollars was money well spent; highly advised.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:06 PM

Lol...

Basically don't get it cause doesn't matter if it's an auto or a manual.. if it's made before 2007 it's garbage.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 215 Posts
Basically don't get it cause doesn't matter if it's an auto or a manual.. if it's made before 2007 it's garbage.
You're out of your mind lol...

You're on the largest acura subforum talking like this wasn't one of the best cars Acura ever made. You're typing nonsense likely based on the fact you bought a car that WASN'T taken care of, and just because you experienced more issues than not - that doesn't mean the rest of us are.

This post is about the J32A3. Nothing else is relevant. Nobody is arguing that there isn't power loss after extended mileage. Nobody ever claimed it was a race car putting down track records. Your stories of camshaft wear virtually don't exist on these forums for this engine. Valve adjustments are necessary when experiencing adverse performance, otherwise, you can go literally hundreds of thousands of miles without performing them. Don't want clogged cats? Don't use shit gasoline and take care of your engine. I could go on...

Last edited by TheSauceBoss; 01-15-2022 at 12:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheSauceBoss:
NBP04TL4ME (01-15-2022), Pair of TLs (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 12:23 PM
Latent car nut

The only thing around here which is garbage is your post; clearly you have no freakin' clue what you're talking about. A 2006 TL 6MT is easily good for 300,000 virtually trouble free miles. Like it or don't, believe it or not.
The following 4 users liked this post by horseshoez:
NBP04TL4ME (01-15-2022), Pair of TLs (01-15-2022), truonghthe (01-17-2022), vpasla1 (02-16-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 05:41 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Your age and lack of overall experience are showing.................
The following 4 users liked this post by NBP04TL4ME:
guneygolf1 (07-23-2022), horseshoez (01-15-2022), jeffstlnote (01-15-2022), Pair of TLs (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 07:11 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

I was an ASE certified master technician and worked for Acura. Overall 11 years of experience before leaving the industry 10 years ago and never looking back. Any vehicle that lacks proper maintenance will run less than ideal and sluggish. While many 3rd gen TL's are FAR from pristine condition, there are a rare few still in meticulous condition, myself for one. I'm far from stock, but when I did dyno my TL it put down 334 whp & 285 wtq and this was with 8 month old gasoline and before upgrading my J-pipe to V3. I'd say with fresh gas and the current pipe, I should break 340 whp. Not bad for an out of the box 3-5 PSI comptech supercharger kit running stock injectors, stock fuel pump and comptech ACM piggy back. This tell you, that my engine is mechanically sound. It's incredibly smooth and quiet at idle. It's a no expense spared vehicle.

Through all my years in the automotive industry, rarely did I see any J-series engine suffer anything extreme. Valves out of adjustment to the point of misfire when cold, yes. But other than that, I rarely saw one on death door. It wasn't til a few months ago a friend of mine hydro-locked his TL and begged for help. I took apart the top half of the engine, cleared out the water, new plugs, fresh oil ect. Car started, (it's a miracle it did) but had a knock. CEL came on, cylinder 1 misfire. Needless to say, I told him he's on borrowed time and a week later, the rod decided to exit the block. It lasted 300 miles before taking a shit, that's impressive considering the amount of water it took on and bent the rod. I wouldn't brag the J-series are incredible engines. They are okay engines. Should last a long time with proper maintenance. Some of the best Acura's made were from the 90's to 2008. After that it's been a giant shit show and I have zero appreciation for the buckets they are making now. I respect 3GTLfan opinion, because it is your opinion. But my 2004 TL is far from garbage and does just fine with the sedans of today.

nist7 (01-16-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
I was an ASE certified master technician and worked for Acura. Overall 11 years of experience before leaving the industry 10 years ago and never looking back. Any vehicle that lacks proper maintenance will run less than ideal and sluggish. While many 3rd gen TL's are FAR from pristine condition, there are a rare few still in meticulous condition, myself for one. I'm far from stock, but when I did dyno my TL it put down 334 whp & 285 wtq and this was with 8 month old gasoline and before upgrading my J-pipe to V3. I'd say with fresh gas and the current pipe, I should break 340 whp. Not bad for an out of the box 3-5 PSI comptech supercharger kit running stock injectors, stock fuel pump and comptech ACM piggy back. This tell you, that my engine is mechanically sound. It's incredibly smooth and quiet at idle. It's a no expense spared vehicle.

Through all my years in the automotive industry, rarely did I see any J-series engine suffer anything extreme. Valves out of adjustment to the point of misfire when cold, yes. But other than that, I rarely saw one on death door. It wasn't til a few months ago a friend of mine hydro-locked his TL and begged for help. I took apart the top half of the engine, cleared out the water, new plugs, fresh oil ect. Car started, (it's a miracle it did) but had a knock. CEL came on, cylinder 1 misfire. Needless to say, I told him he's on borrowed time and a week later, the rod decided to exit the block. It lasted 300 miles before taking a shit, that's impressive considering the amount of water it took on and bent the rod. I wouldn't brag the J-series are incredible engines. They are okay engines. Should last a long time with proper maintenance. Some of the best Acura's made were from the 90's to 2008. After that it's been a giant shit show and I have zero appreciation for the buckets they are making now. I respect 3GTLfan opinion, because it is your opinion. But my 2004 TL is far from garbage and does just fine with the sedans of today.

Wow yeah yours is looking amazing. And as a Acura Enthusiast and a Mechanic I am proud of you for the work you've done to your car. The sad reality is that most of us who find ourselves wanting a car like this DO NOT have the facilities or the knowledge to pledge this kind of work into our 3rd Gens.

95% of ppl seriously looking into buying one of these cannot restore what time has taken from us.. and as an everyday car buyer I cannot justify buying them anymore. They take TOO MUCH work for the average person to maintain at peak performance and appearance. For a trained mechanic with all the facilities to nurture this car its honestly fine.. for the every day buyer searching for a pretty good Daily Driver... honestly look elsewhere
Old 01-15-2022, 07:44 PM

False.

The only thing around here which is garbage is your post; clearly you have no freakin' clue what you're talking about. A 2006 TL 6MT is easily good for 300,000 virtually trouble free miles. Like it or don't, believe it or not.
this is just plain and simple false information. Lol none of the TLs before 07 were good at all. There is not a SINGLE HONDA IN EXISTENCE that's gets to 300k with no problems... lmfao especially not a Frikken Acura TL.... goddd can we get some ppl on this forum that have driven better please?? Way too many ppl on here that get their feelings hurt at the truth.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:53 PM

Doesn't Matter What You Do..

Originally Posted by TheSauceBoss
You're out of your mind lol...

You're on the largest acura subforum talking like this wasn't one of the best cars Acura ever made. You're typing nonsense likely based on the fact you bought a car that WASN'T taken care of, and just because you experienced more issues than not - that doesn't mean the rest of us are.

This post is about the J32A3. Nothing else is relevant. Nobody is arguing that there isn't power loss after extended mileage. Nobody ever claimed it was a race car putting down track records. Your stories of camshaft wear virtually don't exist on these forums for this engine. Valve adjustments are necessary when experiencing adverse performance, otherwise, you can go literally hundreds of thousands of miles without performing them. Don't want clogged cats? Don't use shit gasoline and take care of your engine. I could go on...
False Information. Doesn't matter what kind of gas you use. The valves have to be adjusted every 30k miles or its WILL wear out the camshafts. Will it break down your engine... no. Will it destroy your HP and ruin the fun of your drive.. yes it most definitely will.
And for the record... think about these cars for a second. U go out an buy one used and you will need easily $2k just to restore LOST STOCK POWER.
ALSO the headliners is gonna sag out.
The dash is gonna crack..
Seats are the worst leather ever used in the history of cars..
Why go and buy this now when no matter what you're out $3k from the get go...
simply put these cars are all projects and unless you have the money to afford a project... LOOK ELSEWHERE.
no these ARE NOT the best cars Honda ever made.. in fact there are the most expensive to maintain and the most problematic
-FACTS-
I'm speaking from the POV of someone that would be in the market for one today... they are and should be at the bottom of the list of considerations.. They're TOO HIGH MAINTENANCE
Old 01-15-2022, 08:58 PM
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 118 Posts
Pfft...I'm still trying to understand this part- 3GTLFan
Old 01-15-2022, 09:15 PM
Drifting

Received 799 Likes on 487 Posts
Decades of experience, and I do mean DECADES, are gonna be kid-splained??

The following 5 users liked this post by Pair of TLs:
jeffstlnote (01-15-2022), NBP04TL4ME (01-17-2022), nist7 (01-16-2022), thoiboi (01-16-2022), truonghthe (01-17-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 09:30 PM
Latent car nut

this is just plain and simple false information. Lol none of the TLs before 07 were good at all. There is not a SINGLE HONDA IN EXISTENCE that's gets to 300k with no problems... lmfao especially not a Frikken Acura TL.... goddd can we get some ppl on this forum that have driven better please?? Way too many ppl on here that get their feelings hurt at the truth.
What a freakin' moron; there are at least a half dozen members here with over 300,000 miles on them, and if I recall, I think someone posted last year showing something over 450,000 on the clock of their 3G TL.

Calling @DMZ!
Old 01-16-2022, 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,691 Likes on 6,705 Posts
I’m going to let this thread slide. Don’t dish it if you can’t take it, reporting posts while throwing punches is not cool. Maybe leave your ego at the door and learn something from some of the veterans on the site

@3GTLFan

The following 9 users liked this post by thoiboi:
04WDPSeDaN (01-17-2022), csmeance (01-16-2022), horseshoez (01-16-2022), Midnight Mystery (01-16-2022), NBP04TL4ME (01-17-2022), nist7 (01-16-2022), TheSauceBoss (01-17-2022), truonghthe (01-17-2022), vpasla1 (02-16-2022) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-16-2022, 07:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
False Information. Doesn't matter what kind of gas you use. The valves have to be adjusted every 30k miles or its WILL wear out the camshafts. Will it break down your engine... no. Will it destroy your HP and ruin the fun of your drive.. yes it most definitely will.
And for the record... think about these cars for a second. U go out an buy one used and you will need easily $2k just to restore LOST STOCK POWER.
ALSO the headliners is gonna sag out.
The dash is gonna crack..
Seats are the worst leather ever used in the history of cars..
Why go and buy this now when no matter what you're out $3k from the get go...
simply put these cars are all projects and unless you have the money to afford a project... LOOK ELSEWHERE.
no these ARE NOT the best cars Honda ever made.. in fact there are the most expensive to maintain and the most problematic
-FACTS-
I'm speaking from the POV of someone that would be in the market for one today... they are and should be at the bottom of the list of considerations.. They're TOO HIGH MAINTENANCE
Speaking from someone who has dealt with over 60 Honda vehicles over past 20 years I can say a lot of what you have said is false.

Cams go out from lack of oil changes not valve adjustments. I've done adjustments every 100-130K miles on many and there was very little adjustments to make. If you follow maintenance minder engine will last a long time. DO the timing belt every 105K and then 60K-105K after that and you are good. Cat's clog when you run regular all the time and the car clogs cats with soot/carbon.

I see plenty of Honda ridgelines with 300K+ miles on them. Lots of Pilots and ody's in the 200K range. Auctionaccess and maheim lists a bunch of them all over the country. I regularly see V6 accords with 300K on them (no idea how many transmissions) and I4 acords in the 300K range too IN PERSON at the auctions in orlando. Only car I've seen in 400K range has been toyota avalon and land cruiser.

I'm not surprised you are spewing hate since your TL wasn't maintained properly and you feel it's trash. The 2nd trans and torque converter on my 760 were bad and made the car awfully slow. BMW and warranty spent over 50K on repairs on that car and will certainly win a pissing match in maintenance needed. 96 hrs of labor to fix a broken seal and 144 hrs to resemble for a cooling leak on the V12. Honda/Acura V6 is a cakewalk. Come deal with Euros.

If you have something to add WITH PROOF please do. Otherwise keep your nonsense off the boards. FYI I've had to do only 1 AC compressor replacement in over 200K miles living in FL in a car that is nearly 17 years old. TSX's had compressors that'd mess up the whole ac system if you want to be honest in the first few years of production.
The following 6 users liked this post by csmeance:
horseshoez (01-16-2022), Legend2TL (01-19-2022), nist7 (01-17-2022), Pair of TLs (01-16-2022), truonghthe (01-17-2022), vpasla1 (02-16-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-17-2022, 08:55 AM
Suzuka Master

I swear some folks tend to speaking from their behind rather than fact. If the 3G TL having issue with motor or transmission issue I wouldn't own five TL upon a time and six J series, but who I am gonna give opinion since I also owned a 08 GS350, 09 LS460, 01 IS300

As far as German machine from the mid to late 2010 is on whole another level in term of reliability.

From a used car perspective even Lexus will require maint, mainly is lower ball joint and control arm. Little to the expert above me blowing up "Lexus is a better car" please try to price out a lower control arm assy for an IS350 and you will be surprised. Hell something simple as struts top hat and you quickly to find out $400 for each top hat is the norm for Toyota OEM part.

I am glad someone mentioned about TL dash being crack, what they failed to mentioned is the Lexus IS, LS will have dash melt issue along with door panel that came apart. Leaking water pump because bad OEM part and lets not mention the ATF use in the mid 2000s are "life time fluid" lol aka sealed united, yes before internet Master Tech jump going keyboard "enrage mode" these trans can be serviced but it won't be cheap.

I hate the TL community lately do to bunch of new owner who mis-inform because they over paid for a lemon in the used car market or just straight a fan bois, beside that and people being extreme cheap with their car as if these are the 90 Civic EK. And some living off social media by posting their "product" XYZ better than OEM (I got chu brah) do what you need to do (hustle) to make money on the side. But he he so bad ass compare to King motor Sport, Titan performance, Hennessey performance, Spoon. Nah those for people who over paid lol.

OP if you decide to get any used car (over 10 years old for daily purpose) make sure you get a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) from a brand specialist shop or dealer. It will be better if they let you walk through with the Tech as well. Use that knowledge as lever for pricing negotiation. To me when I spend X amounts of dollars I expect a certain amounts of "works or imperfection" and the expectation varies depend on budget.

With that being said, those who I am still in contact outside this forum will know the rants and where I am going next. I am just a broke bois on the internet at the end of the day

Take care, be safe out there.

The following 4 users liked this post by truonghthe:
horseshoez (01-17-2022), NBP04TL4ME (01-17-2022), nist7 (01-17-2022), vpasla1 (02-16-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 10:11 AM
Latent car nut

Building upon what others have said, my 2006 TL, which currently has 176,000 miles on the clock has cost me about $6,000 in scheduled and preventative maintenance (which includes tires and such) over the 5-years and 60,000 miles I've owned it; hmmm, $1,200 per year, not exactly expensive. That said, a year after I bought it I spent about $5,000 on a clutch, tires, and a whole host of preventative items (motor mounts, suspension bushings, oil seals...), and since then, pretty much nothing. Is a 3G TL a maintenance free ride? Nope, ain't no such a thing unless you're buying new and want to count full warranties and maintenance plans as classifying as "Maintenance Free". Is a 3G TL the cheapest mid-2000s ride out there from a maintenance perspective? Nope once again; for that you'd need to look at a strippo Corolla or Civic, and even they need maintenance from time to time.

Should I opt to stay with my TL over the next several years, it will need the full timing belt treatment (which in my mind includes front main seal, cam seals, new water pump, a resealing of the oil pump, and possibly a valve adjustment), another set of tires, and probably an exhaust system; all things which I will happily pay for to keep the old girl in tip-top condition.
The following 4 users liked this post by horseshoez:
jeffstlnote (01-17-2022), NBP04TL4ME (01-17-2022), nist7 (01-17-2022), truonghthe (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 10:31 AM
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 118 Posts
Would a valve adjustment be recommended at 120,020 miles? Just had the TB kit, serp belt, plug, thermo replaced 500 miles ago, and new oem ball joints as of Friday 1-14. I also have new oem front compliance bushings, but nobody wants to touch those besides the dealership ($590 and change) so I figure just buy new LCA's for $848...if so I have some front LCA compliance bushings for sale.

Last edited by jeffstlnote; 01-17-2022 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Building upon what others have said, my 2006 TL, which currently has 176,000 miles on the clock has cost me about $6,000 in scheduled and preventative maintenance (which includes tires and such) over the 5-years and 60,000 miles I've owned it; hmmm, $1,200 per year, not exactly expensive. That said, a year after I bought it I spent about $5,000 on a clutch, tires, and a whole host of preventative items (motor mounts, suspension bushings, oil seals...), and since then, pretty much nothing. Is a 3G TL a maintenance free ride? Nope, ain't no such a thing unless you're buying new and want to count full warranties and maintenance plans as classifying as "Maintenance Free". Is a 3G TL the cheapest mid-2000s ride out there from a maintenance perspective? Nope once again; for that you'd need to look at a strippo Corolla or Civic, and even they need maintenance from time to time.

Should I opt to stay with my TL over the next several years, it will need the full timing belt treatment (which in my mind includes front main seal, cam seals, new water pump, a resealing of the oil pump, and possibly a valve adjustment), another set of tires, and probably an exhaust system; all things which I will happily pay for to keep the old girl in tip-top condition.
Horsey I think we have the same mentality and way of thinking as, granted $5k is alot of money (especially for the new younger crow). However the younger crow never stop amaze me by bitching about $5k being expensive and yet they have zero problem paying $800 - $1100 per month for car payment in order to reach the Instagram cool status. I am not mention those who buy performance part plus installation fees and paid via Creedova aka payment plan...

Post on IG with cool status.

I had to say the social media platform had a negative impact on the car culture. 101 question "I just bought my (over 10 years old car) what is the 1st mod recommended?" Even my mater tech at the dealer are fed up with these new comer and I don't blame him one bit.

I remember growing up my dad once said "Used car and new car are the same as for new car you spend all the money at once and used car you spend on parts and mechanic" Each person has a different situation but make sure you get it straight before pulling the trigger base on your need and financial situation.
The following 2 users liked this post by truonghthe:
nist7 (01-17-2022), vpasla1 (02-16-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 11:36 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by thoiboi
I’m going to let this thread slide. Don’t dish it if you can’t take it, reporting posts while throwing punches is not cool. Maybe leave your ego at the door and learn something from some of the veterans on the site

@3GTLFan

Seriously?
Old 01-17-2022, 02:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,691 Likes on 6,705 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Seriously?
Kids these days.. Throw insults and calling people "Honda simps" but then report posts calling them "rude" when people call him out for being an idiot

Damn ThoiBoi you're one of the biggest Honda simps on here just can't stand when ppl say not so nice things about your favorite car. For the record I know exactly how to measure my cars performance on a dyno and sorry to burst your bubble bro but your TL and everybody else's is slow as Christmas now. Post video proof that's your 0-60 is still around 6 seconds.

No one gives a fuck about his opinion but he likes to hear himself talk like he knows what he's talking about. AZ has been needing some excitement so please keep up your posts @3GTLFan Your expertise is bar none and we need you to educate all of us simps
The following 6 users liked this post by thoiboi:
horseshoez (01-17-2022), Legend2TL (01-18-2022), NBP04TL4ME (01-17-2022), Pair of TLs (01-17-2022), truonghthe (01-18-2022), vpasla1 (02-16-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Is the 2006 TL still a worthwhile purchase in 2022?