Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Accord versus TL

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 09:31 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 Accord versus TL

Was looking for some thoughts about meaningful differences between a 2006 Accord EXL Auto V6 Sedan with Navi and a 2006 TL with Auto & Navi. The TL is obviously a higher quality car - even if they are put together in the same building as Accords, there appears a higher level of care in the assembly. My random thoughts:

TL - positive differences
* Bluetooth - nice, 'course you need a Bluetooth phone...
* Sound system - it's better - but as I turn the corner on 50, the family says I'm losing my hearing - oh well
* cassette deck - good way to listen to "Dark Side of the Moon"....
* looks - it just looks better (to me)
* status symbol - I guess - it seems in our little corner of poverty hollow there's more TLs than Accords on the street
* photo-chromatic mirrors
* better seats
* "better" ride

Accord - positive differences
* fold down back seat
* Color that is agreeable (Carbon Bronze)
* Regular Fuel
* 5 to 6 grand less

There are intangible differences that are harder to put into words. I was really turned off by the experience at both of the Acura dealers I visited here in KC. That has really soured me on getting one. Whereas, walking in to the neighboorhood Honda dealer was the usual uplifting experience. We've bought six new cars at the Honda dealer and always felt we got a good deal.
That's the downside though - we're stuck in a rut after ALWAYS having an Accord since '87 (3 of 'em in succession).

We'll probably keep this car for 10 years.

Anyhow, I've rambled too long. I was just curious if anyone else struggled with this. Thanks in advance.

Roger
Old 06-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I came from an 03 Passat GLX and I did look at the Accord but I wasn't prepared to take that much of a step backwards in options and ammenities. The TL did fill the bill.

Also up here in CanaDUH the Accord didn't offer the interior exterior colors I was looking for.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Old threads I've found with a search:

06 Accord EX V6 w/ Nav VS 05/06TL???

My comparison: TL 5AT vs. Accord Cp 6MT
Old 06-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Safety Car

Old threads I've found with a search:

Old 06-11-2006, 11:43 PM
10th Gear

I could be wrong, but I thought that the Accord's SOHC VTEC V6 specified premium fuel as well. Anyone here know for sure?
Old 06-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope. Accord's V6 motor only requires 87 gas.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:39 AM
Safety Car

Thats one of its selling points.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
The Accords J30 DOES benefit from premium gas though. This has been proven through independent tests and Honda specifically mentions this as a design.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:13 AM
8th Gear

Thanks for the replies. Datmrman, thanks for the pointer to the threads - that helped. A couple of additional random thoughts:

1. It will be interesting negotiating on the TL. Too often we're lusting after a car when we go to negotiate - with the TL - frankly - I can walk away and not feel bad about it.

2. Can you special order a color (Carbon Bronze) from the big Honda Guy - obviously they paint them that color (for the Canadian market, as I understand). Don't know if the Canadian TL's are made in Maryville or in Alliston.

3. I'd forgotten the fuel economy information on the TL that's not on the Accord. I'm surprised they've not integrated the miles to empty with the GPS and (for a long trip) let you know where the nearest station to empty would be. Oh well, next version I guess (along with integrated weather on the GPS).

Roger
Old 06-12-2006, 07:10 AM
Advanced

I had this issue when I was shopping for a new vehicle. I went to the Honda dealership thinking the 06 Accord EX was coming home with me. As I pulled into the lot there she was, an 04 Nighthawk Black TL a/t w/o Navi and chrome wheels on. She was beautiful. I wanted to test drive and immediately fell in love with the cars handling, speed and interior room. I did'nt want to buy this without looking at something new. I then test drove a BRAND NEW 06 accord, fully loaded. I felt the difference in every way, from the tight steering to the feel of the leather. I thought the acceleration was a bit weak and the width inside was definitely noticeable. Ultimately I ended up with the used tl, and am thoroughly satified. It depends on what you prefer, fuel economy or performance. Simple luxuries or full luxury. My only gripe is that I did not purchase one with navigation/
Old 06-12-2006, 07:13 AM
Happy 08 TL-S Owner

Another difference: Accord is ugly, TL is not....
Old 06-12-2006, 08:05 AM
8th Gear

Another thing that may push me to a TL is the lack of availability of Navi Accords in the area.

Roger
Old 06-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Expymom
Another difference: Accord is ugly, TL is not....
In the eyes of the beholder.

For a car to get you from point a to point b, there is not much difference between the two cars, the honda will be a bit cheaper to run over time.

The TL gives better performance, and looks much better to me, the TL has a German look to it.

I might have got something else, except the TL came with a manual transmission.

I get a manual transmission, reliability (so far), in a sharp looking car.
We did a long trip Saturday up to the delaware water gap and got 32 mpg over the trip. not to shabby for the performance the car is able to get....

Quiet, smooth, trouble free, fun (6 speed) ride.

I also came from a Passat GLX, which while very nice would have been towed home or at least had alarms lit all over the dash...

Brett
Old 06-12-2006, 08:25 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Brettg
In the eyes of the beholder.

Quiet, smooth, trouble free, fun (6 speed) ride.

I also came from a Passat GLX, which while very nice would have been towed home or at least had alarms lit all over the dash...

Lots of VW converts...
I came from a VW Jetta TDI that had about $12K in mod work done to it... European 6 speed, OEM Euro Nav, OEM Euro Alcantera seats, Shine Racing ssupension, 18" Aristo wheels... It was so small and super toquey, make te TL feel like a whale.

Alas, I sold it at 95,000 fearing It was on it's 3rd leg. It was, it's broken down twice on the kid that bought it.

I stil remember those VW CEL's...
Old 06-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rkpeck
* Bluetooth - nice, 'course you need a Bluetooth phone...
If you can afford a TL, you can afford a Bluetooth phone! It's definitley worth shelling out the money to take advantage of this AWESOME feature
Old 06-12-2006, 10:24 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by jaymd123
If you can afford a TL, you can afford a Bluetooth phone! It's definitley worth shelling out the money to take advantage of this AWESOME feature
Yeah, I figured I could afford the phone - not quite time for my "new every 2 years" plan...

So I've got Bluetooth on my laptop - can I integrate it into the TL's Bluetooth in any way?

Roger
Old 06-12-2006, 10:27 AM
Boondocks fanatic.....

If I'm not mistaken, the v6 accord with Navi also comes equipped with the bluetooth feature. The only reason why I turned up my nose at the Accord last year was due to the tailights on the 05's. The tailights on the 06 models are better looking to me. But I don't regret buying my TL one bit!
Old 06-12-2006, 10:30 AM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mokTL
I could be wrong, but I thought that the Accord's SOHC VTEC V6 specified premium fuel as well. Anyone here know for sure?
My previous 2004 Accord Coupe V6 6MT did require premium fuel; but the 5AT did not.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Advanced

Yeah, I figured I could afford the phone - not quite time for my "new every 2 years" plan...

So I've got Bluetooth on my laptop - can I integrate it into the TL's Bluetooth in any way?

Roger
I believe the HFL only supports headset/handfree profiles which are only useful for transferring sound/caller ID/signal strength/battery info to and from phones. Nothing that would be useful with a laptop.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:35 AM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Originally Posted by Russdaddy
If I'm not mistaken, the v6 accord with Navi also comes equipped with the bluetooth feature. The only reason why I turned up my nose at the Accord last year was due to the tailights on the 05's. The tailights on the 06 models are better looking to me. But I don't regret buying my TL one bit!
The HandsFree Link is an option on Accords with Navi. It was an option w/ navi on my 04 Accord and my friend recently purchased an 06 Accord with navi and she does not have the HFL for Bluetooth; it is an "available option"....
Old 06-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let's keep in mind that the Acura is an upscale luxury line of cars whereas the Honda is a collection of economy cars.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:04 AM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Originally Posted by Repecat
Let's keep in mind that the Acura is an upscale luxury line of cars whereas the Honda is a collection of economy cars.

It's funny though... because some people who own Accords (such as the "friend" I referred to in my previous post that just bought the 06 Accord w/ navi....) think that there isn't a different between the Accord and the TL. And I laugh. In example: Before "my friend" had an 03 Accord coupe w/out the navi and at the time I had an 04 Accord coupe w/ the navi and I had been saying for months about how much I like the TL. She agreed; we both loved the TL. Then when I told her that I traded in the Accord for the TL...she came back to me the next day with..."Well, I've discussed this with my mom and we both agree that there's no difference between the two and that it's still just a 'Honda'". Rather than arguing and causing conflict in my friendship; I let it be at that. I figured if they want to believe that...then let them. In conclusion, my "friend" ended up trading in her 03 Accord for the exact same 04 Accord (just an 06) as I had traded in for the TL; only one month after I got mine. As childish as this may sound...I think she was just jealous that she couldn't upgrade to the TL and had to upgrade to my previous car. Us girls can be weird like that at times, you know? LOL.

But reality is: The TL is different. I noticed an immediate difference just when I test drove it.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, it's all in perceptions regardless of reality. Seems to be the norm nowadays.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Race Director

The Accord also has a newer Navigation, but wait till the 2007 Model and it will be ahead of the 2006 Accord because the Accord just went thru a MMC and TL is going to later this year, and consider the 2007 G35 also.

And I am in KC, what type of experience did you get from the Acura Dealerships that bothered you?
Old 06-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Intermediate

Really the only thing I would add to the compairison is how tall are you? I'm 6'4 and the Accord was way to small for me. the TL had much better leg and headroom than the Accord. If you are are 6'0'' or under shouldnt be a problem.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Go w/TL for options, power and handling

The Accord V-6 is a nice car, and much better looking this year as "Russdaddy" mentioned, but TL's form and sculpturing looks better to me subjectively. Objectively, the TL has edge in power (even with auto) and acceleration.
The TL has a better stock suspension feel than the Accord.
The $$ difference might be about $3K if you cut a deal with all the options on the Accord V-6, versus about $32K for an Anthracite TL with Navi.
Your phone dealer will be happy to give you a new Bluetooth phone (for $50 or less, likely free, with accessories) if you are within 4 months of ending your contract and sign a new contract.

You can test both cars out at dealerships, but use the internet or phone to cut down the BS during the purchase process, whether the salespeople seem helpful or not. My approach has always been to ask if the dealership has the car I can test (this is an issue when looking for manual transmission or performance options) to decide whether to buy in two weeks, or anytime other than "today." That cuts down on sales BS pretty quickly and permits one to test drive in peace, especially when the salesperson is told that purchase options include other brands such as Infiniti, Lexus and Cadillac (or even Mazda RX-8...).

Good luck; let us know what you end up doing.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Lt. Dangle

Accord - positive differences
* fold down back seat
* Color that is agreeable (Carbon Bronze)
* Regular Fuel
* 5 to 6 grand less
I cannot for the life of me understand why the TL has the stupid pass-thru while the accord has the fold down seat. If you don't ski, the pass-thru is useless. The regular vs. premium fuel and cost difference are just the price you pay for better performance and -- IMHO -- better appearance. I would definitely like to see a Carbon Bronze TL, though. Might be sharp. Regardless, I think you already know what you are paying extra for when you get the TL over the Accord. You just have to decide if it is worth it.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:49 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Raheel
And I am in KC, what type of experience did you get from the Acura Dealerships that bothered you?
Typically high-pressure sales tactics - I'm use to dealing with but my wife was extremely turned off. Probably just hit them both on bad sales days.

And the "oh, you wanted it with nav TOO?" (yes we told you that multiple times).

At both dealers, they seemed to be overly busy to deal with us. Perhaps it's best to call and arrange an appointment rather than walking in off the street.

Roger
Old 06-12-2006, 02:55 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by enormus
I cannot for the life of me understand why the TL has the stupid pass-thru while the accord has the fold down seat. If you don't ski, the pass-thru is useless. The regular vs. premium fuel and cost difference are just the price you pay for better performance and -- IMHO -- better appearance. I would definitely like to see a Carbon Bronze TL, though. Might be sharp. Regardless, I think you already know what you are paying extra for when you get the TL over the Accord. You just have to decide if it is worth it.
I was in the same position a couple of years back. Trading in an Exploder. Wanted to get another Exploder, but Honda offered me a much better price on a similarly equiped Pilot (end of the model year). I really wanted the Ford, convincing myself that buy-american was a better. Had the Ford dealer down 3k under X-plan pricing and still just got up and left.

Not to diverge to far, but it amazed me at the time (2003) that Explorer's V6 and V8 got identical gas mileage.

Roger
Old 06-12-2006, 03:10 PM
...I like stories...

03 Exploder trade-in too!

Dude,

I traded in my 03 Exploder with only 26K miles on it because I was going to a different job which was another 65 miles roundtrip. I didn't consider a new Exploder because of the mileage issue, but I did rent an 06 Exploder on a recent golf trip with the fellas. Man, did Ford totally mess up the Explorer; it's now a low end SUV IMO. Even my buddies who I chauffered around for 3 years because of the Exploders storage capacity noticed that the new one (versus my 2003) has been hosed by Ford.

As for the TL, I've owned a VW Passat, 1998 Fully loaded GLS too. The TL is the best car I've owned by a wide margin.

Plus, it looks great.

G
Old 06-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Instructor

I test drove an Accord Hybrid prior to the TL. The TL feels more solid, the Accord was kind of skiddish and light-footed (subjective, I know). That could have been just the tires.

The drive feeling differences between the cars can just be the differences between suspension components, not build-quality.

To me, when I took the interior appart to install a radio and run some wires, I was dissapointed in what I saw as a lack of quality in the sound proofing, carpeting and overall finish behind what you can normally see. Thin wiring, non-painted surfaces (just primer), no rustproofing, etc, were just some of the things I noticed.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Cruisin'

Get the TL
Old 06-12-2006, 09:10 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Adampops
Get the TL
That's what I want to hear. You only go around once, for goodness sake.

OK, here's the next question. Let's say, for instance, that they'll sell me an AT w/Navi over the internet for 32.5k. I take the trade-in to the nearest CarMax to see what they'll offer. Knock a grand off (CarMax offers 10k, I'm willing to part with it at 9k) and go into the dealer and say 23.5, nah, 23k OTD. Am I in the ballpark?

Roger
Old 06-12-2006, 10:01 PM
RickRoush03

my sister got a loaded accord ex minus the navi system, honestly, about HID lights and i guess it didnt have blue tooth and i'd take the accord over a TL. ya it makes 30less HP but hell, if i want more power i guess i'll add 93 octane. other than that, it had seat warmers etc. i'd redo the stereo anyways, everyone has their own perference. i like both, but yes, the acura does have that nicer feel and status
Old 06-13-2006, 12:42 AM
Boondocks fanatic.....

That's what I want to hear. You only go around once, for goodness sake.

OK, here's the next question. Let's say, for instance, that they'll sell me an AT w/Navi over the internet for 32.5k. I take the trade-in to the nearest CarMax to see what they'll offer. Knock a grand off (CarMax offers 10k, I'm willing to part with it at 9k) and go into the dealer and say 23.5, nah, 23k OTD. Am I in the ballpark?

Roger
You should be okay. If you show up with the cash in hand, nine out of ten times they'll be more likely to take $500 off of the price. If not, go through the back door to see if they can lower the interest rate. That was the one thing that I really gave the dealership grief about and they actually ended up beating the interest rate that my credit union gave me. To me it's the interest rate that matters! Good luck!!
Old 06-13-2006, 01:11 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
At this point in my life a car in the mid 20s is more than enough of a payment. I am already parnoid about parking it in malls, downtown etc.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:05 AM
Lt. Dangle

Last night my wife and I went out to a restaurant and while looking for a place to park, I spotted a brand new, white Accord EX. So I park next to it and we get out. I point out the Accord to my wife and tell her they are essentially the same car. She says "I see it in the door handles, but otherwise, no. Doesn't look anything like yours." Now my wife is by no means a car person -- to her they are just transportation -- and she wouldn't know a performance car from Adam. But I have to agree with her on appearance. When I look at an Accord, I see a grocery getter. When I look at a TL, I see a driving machine (sorry BMW). And performance-wise, 30 extra horse power is NOT the only difference. Drive both and you'll see.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by enormus
I cannot for the life of me understand why the TL has the stupid pass-thru while the accord has the fold down seat. If you don't ski, the pass-thru is useless.
Structural rigidity. Smaller the hole, the less twisting goes on. Since the TL is supposed to be sportier than the Accord, there are reinforcing bars and structural members there.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Pro

My sister has the 06 Accord EX (4 cylinder). Nice looking car, especially the interior. The tail lights look better too. The acceleration is very smooth for a 4 cylinder car, and most V6s out there. As for the leather on the accord, I think I like the accords leather and the sound system better than the TL. There is more bass and better speaker quality on the accord for some reason. The interior is very similiar with the TL since the TL is based on the accord. As performance you can't beat the TL. I rather have performance on a car. I just wish the TL had a little better sound system. Overall, I love my TL, and I'll try to keep it for a long time.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

I beg to differ here.

I also have an 06 Accord SE (with the same sound system as your sister's EX). The stereo sounds good initially. After comparing it my TL's, though, I feel the Accord's stereo is too boomy and the bass is very loose. If I lower the bass setting, the boominess is gone but so is the bass. BTW, I'm listening to FM and CD, not DVD.

I guess if you like boomy bass with loose bass response, you'll like the Accord's stereo.

The leather on the Accord is also thinner and a little stiffer than the TL's.

Quick Reply: 2006 Accord versus TL