Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 6 MT Base TL exhaust setup. Informational. My experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 08:57 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 6 MT Base TL exhaust setup. Informational. My experience

So I've been a member for about a year, bought my tl used at 160k miles exactly a year ago, that being said I wanted to see if you all were interested in what I was doing to it. I watched a ton of videos and read just as many threads trying to find the setup I wanted. So my first mod was a cold air intake of course. This was last year. I finally got. To where I could afford to play some more. My plan originally was to delete the mid muffler, replace resonator with a dynomax 24215, and also the rear mufflers and have my own tips welded on.. but in addition I have ordered the atlp v2 j pipe with the race pipe (third cat delete). Decided not to go for pcds just yet at least. Got to the muffler shop but I wasn't able to find any tips that would work for me locally so I just did the mid muffler delete and swapped to dynomax res. I am please with the result. I'm waiting on the atlp parts to get to me. Talked to marcus at heeltoe yesterday and he's started the process and said they will ship 24-48 hours, I have video of stock exhaust and now. I will post for people who are looking to find the setup they want. I can't wait untill the j pipe gets here. I was hoping y'all would be interested in seeing how it ends up sounding/running... I've rebuilt the whole front end basically myself, cv axles, LCAs... LBJ inner and outer tie rods... Basically everything but the upper control arms and struts.. so I've put some love in this car as it is my very first and I am very proud of it. I am 27 years old and had a rough go of things as a teen.. but finally got my shit together and started accomplishing goals and one of them was own a fairly "quick" car 🙂 hoping no one gets pissed I made this thread... I will post the video links
Before

After

Last edited by Blakep93; 02-16-2021 at 09:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
csmeance (02-16-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 09:00 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,409 Posts
Ummm, what?
Old 02-16-2021, 09:14 AM
Advanced

I posted this so people looking to change their exhaust and would like to see/hear how a potential setup they may want will sound... I also was just kinda sharing my story with this vehicle. I was going to make more videos when my parts come in later this week...I thought it might make it easier for people to decide what exactly they want to do if they could see videos of what I've done
Old 02-16-2021, 09:17 AM
Advanced

Yeah I probably rambled and went way off course several times, lol but I was mainly just sharing the setup since I'm making videos before and after for myself
Old 02-16-2021, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Good job on tackling so much and getting her back into good shape! Any reason you chose ATLP over your custom exhaust? Have you done the clutch delay valve mod?
The following users liked this post:
Blakep93 (02-17-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 03:37 PM
Advanced

Thanks man I really appreciate that, I put some love into this car and I'm gonna continue to... I have what I believe is a bad front driver side wheel hub/bearing assembly I'm about to have to replace if I jack it up the wheel has some play when I try to wiggle it from my understanding that's how you diagnose that.. but to answer your question I went with the atlp because I felt like it was the best of the top manufacturers like rv6 and xlr8 mainly because I wanted to make sure I didn't have rasp and I never heard any tl with the atlp j pipe rasp atleast when they still have the 2 precats... But I also wanted some power too... Hell Ive considered putting a 75 shot on it and having some real fun but Im gonna hold off because its my daily and I don't wanna hurt it.... Please tell me about this clutch mod your talking about I would like to learn what that is I never have heard of it
Old 02-16-2021, 06:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Blakep93
Thanks man I really appreciate that, I put some love into this car and I'm gonna continue to... I have what I believe is a bad front driver side wheel hub/bearing assembly I'm about to have to replace if I jack it up the wheel has some play when I try to wiggle it from my understanding that's how you diagnose that.. but to answer your question I went with the atlp because I felt like it was the best of the top manufacturers like rv6 and xlr8 mainly because I wanted to make sure I didn't have rasp and I never heard any tl with the atlp j pipe rasp atleast when they still have the 2 precats... But I also wanted some power too... Hell Ive considered putting a 75 shot on it and having some real fun but Im gonna hold off because its my daily and I don't wanna hurt it.... Please tell me about this clutch mod your talking about I would like to learn what that is I never have heard of it
If you want to run nitrous you'll need a wet setup.
Lookup videos on youtube of bad hub bearing/axle bearing for honda accord/ acura tl and you'll see what it looks like. Also check the ball joints and other stuff, but you've replaced quite a bit already! ATLP has a resonated and non-resonated version to get rid of rasp last time I looked.

Check valve:
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...better-954724/
The following 2 users liked this post by csmeance:
Blakep93 (02-17-2021), Slpr04UA6 (02-16-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 10:26 AM
Advanced

Thanks again... I'm definitely interested in the check valve... When I first got the car I sometimes would pull second too quick I guess you could say or faster than the clutch would work for me and I used to wonder what the hell? I did change the fluid it was nastyyy brown color at that time... I used a turkey baster to get the fluid out, lol good trick my older brother taught me.. but im definitely going to look into doing that.. think I'm gonna drain all the trans fluid out today as I've never done that before I just added to it with Lucas mainly... I know some people frown upon using that stuff with our cars but I'm not one of them... It helped mine tremendously... But I do think I need to change it.. BTW if anyone is interested the atlp j pipe and race pipe are supposed to make it to me this coming Tuesday.. I'm ready for that and I'll definitely post videos... As I've been driving the car the last couple of days after the adding the dynomax and deleting the mid.muffler it seems like its just sounding better and running better every time I drive it. I absolutely love it... I don't think I will need to take the rear mufflers off and I'm glad I chose to hold off on that. Because I'm thinking with the j pipe and third cat delete it will probably be perfect for me because right now it's not too abnoxious or loud and definitely does not sound anything close to a ricer... Very good smooth sound like low pitched growl and no rasp.. definitely worth it. 🙂 I'm gonna post a new video later of what it sounds like now that I think it's started to break itself in... Maybe like camera behind the car as it drives away and maybe WOT... I had read some people say things like "just deleting the mid muffler and adding a dynomax wouldn't really make a difference" or change the sound but I %100 disagree with that.

Last edited by Blakep93; 02-17-2021 at 10:34 AM.