Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Plate State

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 07:26 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Plate State

Just wanted to tip my hat to those of you fortunate enough to live outside NJ and do not have to have the plate on the front of your car. Had a TL behind me today - maybe from PA - no plate on front - looks soooo much better without it. Does anyone know why we have them in NJ or any other state - what is the law or reasoning behind it?
Just curious -
Old 05-04-2004, 07:46 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
The front plate is the largest reflective area on the front of a vehicle and makes it easier for other drivers to see vehicles parked on dark roadways.

Front plates are helpful in identifying vehicles used in "hit and runs", robberies, etc... and the front plate aides a police officer in finding the RIGHT vehicle as it passes it as the car is going the opposite direction.

I'm sure there are a million reasons why it's good to have a front plate...or at least those states which opt to require the front plate will tell you; however, I'm thankful I live in a state which does not require them.....it makes my TL look nice and clean up front.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:59 AM
Team Emerald City Janitor

Jersey sucks!! Can't tint(all the way), need front plates!

This is not the state to make your car look cool. Oh well, no matter what law NJ comes up with the TL will still look great!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by tripp11
The front plate is the largest reflective area on the front of a vehicle and makes it easier for other drivers to see vehicles parked on dark roadways.

Front plates are helpful in identifying vehicles used in "hit and runs", robberies, etc... and the front plate aides a police officer in finding the RIGHT vehicle as it passes it as the car is going the opposite direction.

I'm sure there are a million reasons why it's good to have a front plate...or at least those states which opt to require the front plate will tell you; however, I'm thankful I live in a state which does not require them.....it makes my TL look nice and clean up front.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:25 AM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

Originally Posted by madaley
Jersey sucks!! Can't tint(all the way), need front plates!
Can't pump your own gas, ugly inspection sticker on windshield, . . .
Old 05-04-2004, 09:28 AM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by Pug
You can't pump your own gas? You're kidding right?

Who's the fuc*ing governor of that state? Hitler?
Old 05-04-2004, 09:31 AM
Instructor

We do not pump our own gas but it might be the cheapest in the country!!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:31 AM
Racer

Nope....all NJ gas stations are full serve by state law. You are not allowed to pump your own gas and the gas stations can face severe fines if they are caught allowing people to do so.

But NJ does have cheap gas prices compared to other states (at least compared with new england and mid atlantic ones)....that's one great thing going for it.

Old 05-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Advanced

You'll love this -- you can't pump your own gas in NJ because the state wanted to protect that wonderful job, with great upward mobility - the pump jockey. The gas prices on the other hand are lower because NJ taxes gas less than many other states. Give that potential cash cow time. With the way all the states are reeling, I just can't believe it isn't just a matter of time until someone decides that all those cars on the NJ Tpke just have to pay more to Trenton's coffers. BTW, T-Bone, maybe you saw ME?? I was in Princeton the other day with my truly cool Abyss Pearl Blue and my PA Plate only-on-the-TL's enticing-backside-with-the-lip-spoiler.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Newbie for Life

Wonder if the pump jockey is pumping only gas when all the soccer moms roll up in the gas station?
Old 05-04-2004, 09:38 AM
Advanced

tripp - don't think so, when most of them look about one step up from the squeegee jockeys in New York City. Maybe some of the part-time ones, though, the high school jocks, like that lady lacrosse coach in PA who had to twirl a few of their sticks.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:39 AM
You touch my tra la la...

You need one in NY too, I don't really care.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:40 AM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by Wordsmith
tripp - don't think so, when most of them look about one step up from the squeegee jockeys in New York City.
Maybe that's just the ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuush they're looking for....dirty arse pump jockey doing what their Wall Street banker type can't do. :toothless

Sorry, girlfriend and I rented a 3 hour block of Playboy last night since nothing else was on TV....the Nets game was NOT worth watching.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:51 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Could have been - all PA drivers are always in my rearview

You'll love this -- you can't pump your own gas in NJ because the state wanted to protect that wonderful job, with great upward mobility - the pump jockey. The gas prices on the other hand are lower because NJ taxes gas less than many other states. Give that potential cash cow time. With the way all the states are reeling, I just can't believe it isn't just a matter of time until someone decides that all those cars on the NJ Tpke just have to pay more to Trenton's coffers. BTW, T-Bone, maybe you saw ME?? I was in Princeton the other day with my truly cool Abyss Pearl Blue and my PA Plate only-on-the-TL's enticing-backside-with-the-lip-spoiler.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:55 AM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Pug
You forgot "No Left Turn"... That should be the State Motto!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:58 AM
Team Anthracite Member

That would require an appropriate sign - which we have none! Yeah, life in the land of "jug handles"...

Originally Posted by elessar
Old 05-04-2004, 10:40 AM
10th Gear

What, do you have too make 3 rights to go left? Would that be A$$ Backwards NAStyCAR Style?

-KeithT
Old 05-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithT
What, do you have too make 3 rights to go left? Would that be A$$ Backwards NAStyCAR Style?

-KeithT
NJ = Jughandle state
Old 05-04-2004, 10:49 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by roadman
NJ = Jughandle state
Old 05-04-2004, 10:51 AM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

No U-turns either
Old 05-04-2004, 10:55 AM
Racer

Why the hell would you want to pump your own gas??

Pain in the ass when I go south and have to do my own AND pay more!
Old 05-04-2004, 11:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Imagine a state where you never ever have to replace your left turn signal bulb becuase you never ever use it. NASCAR drivers must hate NJ, only right turns, LOL

Paying less for gas and no pumping it is a great benefit of NJ
Old 05-04-2004, 11:30 AM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by jrogers345

LOL

Maybe it's just the part of the country you're located in. Here in Indiana you'll play hell trying to find a station where they send someone out to come and pump your gas....it's all self-serve here.

As for pumping my own gas....even if I had the choice I would pump my own gas. It takes 2-3 minutes tops. I don't want to tip some dilenquent for doing something that I can physically do myself and not break a sweat. Plus, do you really think a non-TL pump jockey is going to be able to hang the freaking cap using the ball-thingy?? I think not. Plus, at most stations you can catch up on the daily news on the built-in pump screen.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Team Anthracite Member

For me personally, it would have kept the window licker from putting the gas cap on the trunk. Thought I outsmarted these fools by cutting my cord on the cap to prevent the "lift and drop" these attendants do - but instead this guys brain was so small and consideration, so lacking he puts it down on the trunk!! Should have thrown a match at his feet....

Old 05-04-2004, 11:50 AM
Racer

LOL

Maybe it's just the part of the country you're located in. Here in Indiana you'll play hell trying to find a station where they send someone out to come and pump your gas....it's all self-serve here.

As for pumping my own gas....even if I had the choice I would pump my own gas. It takes 2-3 minutes tops. I don't want to tip some dilenquent for doing something that I can physically do myself and not break a sweat. Plus, do you really think a non-TL pump jockey is going to be able to hang the freaking cap using the ball-thingy?? I think not. Plus, at most stations you can catch up on the daily news on the built-in pump screen.

TIP!!!!???? I've NEVER tipped and don't know anyone who has.

Well, in couple of yrs I'll be living down in NC and will have to do my own gas. What's funny is that a lot of these areas someone will carry your groceries out to your car.. but gotta pump your own gas.

Pumping your own or having someone else do it takes about the same time. Have to wait for guy/gal to come over and pump. When I've pumped my own - have to then go inside, wait on line and pay.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:01 PM
Newbie for Life

TIP!!!!???? I've NEVER tipped and don't know anyone who has.

Well, in couple of yrs I'll be living down in NC and will have to do my own gas. What's funny is that a lot of these areas someone will carry your groceries out to your car.. but gotta pump your own gas.

Pumping your own or having someone else do it takes about the same time. Have to wait for guy/gal to come over and pump. When I've pumped my own - have to then go inside, wait on line and pay.
LOL, again.

Foolish me to think that you would tip for a service. In all honesty, yes, I thought that you folks over in Jersey or wherever it is that you have to have someone pump your gas for you would tip the service guy a buck or something. Like I said, here in the Midwest we don't have such a thing....years ago when I was way little, my parents would roll into a full service lane and the guy would come out and ask what grade and how much. While the gas was pumping he would wash your front window and check your oil. I thought a similar service was performed out in NJ - thus the tip. Forgive me for my East Coast stupidity.

Funny, I'm moving to NC July 1st.

Here, if I'm pumping my own gas, I swipe at the pump and never go inside or wait in a line...it's much faster to pay at the pump and pump your own gas here.

Learn something everyday with this whole NJ gas thing though.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by TBone2004
Just wanted to tip my hat to those of you fortunate enough to live outside NJ and do not have to have the plate on the front of your car. Had a TL behind me today - maybe from PA - no plate on front - looks soooo much better without it. Does anyone know why we have them in NJ or any other state - what is the law or reasoning behind it?
Just curious -
It is also a great target for the officer to aim his LASER speed gun at!
Old 05-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Racer

LOL, again.

Foolish me to think that you would tip for a service. In all honesty, yes, I thought that you folks over in Jersey or wherever it is that you have to have someone pump your gas for you would tip the service guy a buck or something. Like I said, here in the Midwest we don't have such a thing....years ago when I was way little, my parents would roll into a full service lane and the guy would come out and ask what grade and how much. While the gas was pumping he would wash your front window and check your oil. I thought a similar service was performed out in NJ - thus the tip. Forgive me for my East Coast stupidity.

Funny, I'm moving to NC July 1st.

Here, if I'm pumping my own gas, I swipe at the pump and never go inside or wait in a line...it's much faster to pay at the pump and pump your own gas here.

Learn something everyday with this whole NJ gas thing though.

We get those things done... but actually never consider it a "service" - just part of getting gas in NJ.

Where are you moving to in NC???

Anybody out there from NJ ever tip gas attendant???
Old 05-04-2004, 12:10 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Anybody tip me for what I do at work? No, its my job.

IF - a big IF, these guys were poilte, could speak English, didn't drip gas all down my qtr. panel, didn't scrape their belt buckles etc. on my car as they gave me a window squeege - with dirty water, then IF they came and completed the transaction as soon as the pump was done - then, only then I may say "Have a nice Day"
Old 05-04-2004, 12:11 PM
Newbie for Life

We get those things done... but actually never consider it a "service" - just part of getting gas in NJ.

Where are you moving to in NC???

Yeah, good thing I'm not moving to NJ....I leave a buck or something behind and the guy thinks he hit the lottery.

Raleigh, NC....going to miss our top tier professional teams though: Pacers and Colts. I think Raleigh only has hockey and minor league baseball....and some sort of college hoopla down there. LOL
Old 05-04-2004, 12:14 PM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

I don't tip personally. I pumped gas for a while in high school, and maybe 1 in 200 people would tip, and it typically was an elderly woman giving me a single (maybe they were hot for me? )

All else aside, when you don't/can't pump gas for your TL, you need to pay attention that the attendent gets the cap on right - else the dreaded check engine light may come on. Also, (though it hasn't been a problem with my TL), with my Honda's in the past you couldn't top off the tank or the gas would overflow and get all over the side of the car.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:20 PM
Newbie for Life

Maybe it's just me then because I tip almost everyone in the "service" industry and would probably flip a single or something to the gas attendant. Gal that cuts my hair-tip. Guy that washes my car-tip. Waitress-tip. If I had a yard to cut-tip. Valet-tip. Coat check girl-tip.

I guess different strokes for different folks....my intentions weren't to ruffle anyone's feathers over the whole "tip thing"...just that I would probably tip for that service I guess.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:21 PM
Racer

Yeah, good thing I'm not moving to NJ....I leave a buck or something behind and the guy thinks he hit the lottery.

Raleigh, NC....going to miss our top tier professional teams though: Pacers and Colts. I think Raleigh only has hockey and minor league baseball....and some sort of college hoopla down there. LOL

Don't know anything about sports except that caroliners are big on football, etc.
Have only driven thru Raleigh, but is suppose to be a real nice area - the whole triangle is. And you've got the racktrack in Charlotte (not too sure how far away)

We'll be in the mountains at Lake Toxaway which is in the Ashville area.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:28 PM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

Maybe it's just me then because I tip almost everyone in the "service" industry and would probably flip a single or something to the gas attendant. Gal that cuts my hair-tip. Guy that washes my car-tip. Waitress-tip. If I had a yard to cut-tip. Valet-tip. Coat check girl-tip.
I'm the same way, and generally tip even when others don't. But with gas in NJ, the "service" is more akin to buying something at Burger King or the supermarket, i.e. tip isn't expected. However, if the guy (or girl) goes beyond the normal call of duty, for example by helping change a windshield wiper in an emergency, then a tip would be appropriate, IMO.

BTW, anyone been to the Atlantis resort in the Bahamas? I heard they put a 20% "service charge" on everything.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:28 PM
Racer

I guess different strokes for different folks....my intentions weren't to ruffle anyone's feathers over the whole "tip thing"...just that I would probably tip for that service I guess.
I tip all the people you mention... but after a while, have to put limits on who you tip. Again, never considered tipping gas attendant - not a "service" just his job.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Advanced

Hey JRogers - congrats on the move down south! NC is great and you'll get away from the car-scratching, squeegee-wielding numb-nuts NJ pump jockeys. Some friendly advice from a transplant, though, prompted by one of your posts -- when you're down in NC, you stand "in" line, not "on" line..which is pure New Yawk, New Joisey, etc. and will make ya stand out. Good thing you're not moving to Cary ("Conservation Area for Retired Yankees"), NC.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:18 PM
Racer

Hey JRogers - congrats on the move down south! NC is great and you'll get away from the car-scratching, squeegee-wielding numb-nuts NJ pump jockeys. Some friendly advice from a transplant, though, prompted by one of your posts -- when you're down in NC, you stand "in" line, not "on" line..which is pure New Yawk, New Joisey, etc. and will make ya stand out. Good thing you're not moving to Cary ("Conservation Area for Retired Yankees"), NC.
Can't wait to move, but will have to for hubby to retire and $$ to build home.

LOL! Be getting away from a lot of stuff up here - congestion, stress, etc. There's retired yankees in the area we're going anyway. When you want to get away from the heat in the summer... come to the "Land of Waterfalls" in the mountains.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:33 PM
Newbie for Life

.. come to the "Land of Waterfalls" in the mountains.
Now that sounds worth a trip over from Raleigh!! That's one of the main reasons I'm moving.....flat farm land of Indiana or mountains/oceans of NC......it's a no brainer.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:45 PM
Racer

Now that sounds worth a trip over from Raleigh!! That's one of the main reasons I'm moving.....flat farm land of Indiana or mountains/oceans of NC......it's a no brainer.

It is. I'm looking forward to exploring. Lots to do in the mountains. Have visited a lot of nice towns - Highlands, Cashiers, Brevard, Hendersonville, Asheville.

Just made a trip down there but didn't have my car yet. Looking forward to going down this August for a week and trying the 6-mt out on those mountain roads

Oh yes, beaches are nice too.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:49 PM
Racer

That's one of the main reasons I'm moving.....flat farm land of Indiana or mountains/oceans of NC......it's a no brainer. [/QUOTE]

Flat land.... one of the reasons we would never consider moving to someplace like FL. Plus the heat

Quick Reply: 2 Plate State