Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

105k Soon... 3 seals to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 08:23 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
105k Soon... 3 seals to replace?

I have the timing belt kit and water pump with everything i need. Also have my UR pulley i will be putting in at the same time.

Majofo's DIY he has some seals on the lower part of the first picture are these it?
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ics%2A-784622/

Ive read a few post that 3 seals would need to by change if they are leaking.. But im not sure which seals these are.

When i did my oil change not long ago ive noticed something that seemed like oil around my oil pan. I dont think it was motor oil. Didnt smell like it.

So which seals are these that i need to change. Ive read its pretty easy to change when doing the 105k service.

Crank seal, oil something seal and something else

If you guys can tell me what these are it be alot of help.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2014, 08:46 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GOOSEej
I have the timing belt kit and water pump with everything i need. Also have my UR pulley i will be putting in at the same time.

Majofo's DIY he has some seals on the lower part of the first picture are these it?
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ics%2A-784622/

Ive read a few post that 3 seals would need to by change if they are leaking.. But im not sure which seals these are.

When i did my oil change not long ago ive noticed something that seemed like oil around my oil pan. I dont think it was motor oil. Didnt smell like it.

So which seals are these that i need to change. Ive read its pretty easy to change when doing the 105k service.

Crank seal, oil something seal and something else

If you guys can tell me what these are it be alot of help.

Thanks!
Goose.. when I did my T-belt a month ago... the only seal that I bought was the crankshaft seal.My other seals were fine. My mileage at the time was 109k. I use to work at Scott Robinson Honda in Torrance, so I just paid my boy to do the labor for me. He also re-sealed my oil pan and oil pump since I had a slight oil leak coming from the timing belt cover. I use to be a service advisor myself and that work that was done to my car would've cost an average customer probably close to 2 grand. I bought my parts directly from American Honda in Torrance since my wife works there. Good luck in the DIY, just take your time. I somewhat mechanically inclined, but I just didnt feel to comfortable doing the T-belt myself.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:12 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by aboysua6
Goose.. when I did my T-belt a month ago... the only seal that I bought was the crankshaft seal.My other seals were fine. My mileage at the time was 109k. I use to work at Scott Robinson Honda in Torrance, so I just paid my boy to do the labor for me. He also re-sealed my oil pan and oil pump since I had a slight oil leak coming from the timing belt cover. I use to be a service advisor myself and that work that was done to my car would've cost an average customer probably close to 2 grand. I bought my parts directly from American Honda in Torrance since my wife works there. Good luck in the DIY, just take your time. I somewhat mechanically inclined, but I just didnt feel to comfortable doing the T-belt myself.

Cool ill have to check it out. Im doing the service myself since it cost an arm and a leg for Honda/ Acura or even mechanics to do it. I would need a hook up like yours haha.

I know for sure something is leaking cause of that oily residue. I just dont know what.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by GOOSEej
Cool ill have to check it out. Im doing the service myself since it cost an arm and a leg for Honda/ Acura or even mechanics to do it. I would need a hook up like yours haha.

I know for sure something is leaking cause of that oily residue. I just dont know what.
If you get a timing belt kit from Rockauto.com you get everything you need. You can even get an Aisin for $178 w/ water pump, and Aisin is the oem for Honda/Acura. I personally went with the Gates about 15k miles ago with no issues at all.

Like it was said earlier just take your time, and make sure to follow the directions. I had mine 90% finished when I realized I forgot a motor mount, and had to take the whole cover and some other components off. All in all is was surprisingly easy. I just wish the clutch was that easy.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:29 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
The seals usually dont need to be changed.

The oil leak is most likely your oil pan and/or oil pump housing sealant thats seeping oil. Its very common. If your doing the timing belt now is the time to reseal these while everything is out.
if you know how to do a timing belt then resealing is easy.

If you need help let me know.
The following 2 users liked this post by ECRD:
aboysua6 (09-17-2014), GOOSEej (09-17-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by crbnfbr
If you get a timing belt kit from Rockauto.com you get everything you need. You can even get an Aisin for $178 w/ water pump, and Aisin is the oem for Honda/Acura. I personally went with the Gates about 15k miles ago with no issues at all.

Like it was said earlier just take your time, and make sure to follow the directions. I had mine 90% finished when I realized I forgot a motor mount, and had to take the whole cover and some other components off. All in all is was surprisingly easy. I just wish the clutch was that easy.
I did the same bloody thing. Time cost was about 45 minutes....
Old 01-12-2015, 01:55 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ECRD
The seals usually dont need to be changed.

The oil leak is most likely your oil pan and/or oil pump housing sealant thats seeping oil. Its very common. If your doing the timing belt now is the time to reseal these while everything is out.
if you know how to do a timing belt then resealing is easy.

If you need help let me know.
I would really love to bounce some questions off you. I would love to do this myself... Just ordered all the parts.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
I replace the spark plug tube gaskets as well when doing the 105K service. An extra $20 in parts but worth piece of mind. Also replace the thermostat!

I know a few folks have mentioned the front main seal, real main seal and the crankshaft seal but I'm not sure if those are the exact ones you are thinking about.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
two cam seal and one front main shield, I just replace all three during the TB/WP job since everything is off and easy to replace anyway.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:33 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe
two cam seal and one front main shield, I just replace all three during the TB/WP job since everything is off and easy to replace anyway.
"front main shield"? or do you mean seal
The following users liked this post:
truonghthe (01-14-2015)