Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 month update tl vs m35x

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 month update tl vs m35x

Well, I have been invited to post up on occasion, the comparison of my infiniti m35x, vs my tl, that I sold, but I see the car and the person I sold it to, almost 4 days a week, and compare notes.
First the m35x. Well I have been through basically all four season in new york city with the m35. This was a hot summer, as it was in a lot of the country. I can report no problems with the car, and enjoy when I have had the windows open, to not have had as much road noise as the tl had.
I find the engine to being a bit noisier and seems to strain more then the tl. I for one, like a quieter engine, and the tl wins hands down. The accelleration on the tl, always seems to me, to be much peppier.
Also, while the air condiitioner (climate control) works just fine on the infiniti, I found that the acura,s air conditioning, for whatever reason, made the air, smell much purer. It always felt like I was in a purified environment when I had the tl,s a,c on. And I am an air conditioning lover. I prefer not to smell other peoples exhaust.
Overall, the m35, is sort of like a great working tool. Its not the prettiest thing around, but does everything extremely well with no fuss. Nothing in particular excites me, but everything functions as a well tuned machine.
The seats have adapted to me, and have softened up of molded to me, and it is a joy to sit in. I live the larger headroom, and as the suspension system, has worked its way in, the ride to me has gotten softer , but more precise.
It has been a joy to own, however uninspireing, (spelling), if thats a good word to use.
By the way, I now drive at work, a dodge charger with the hemi, and I love it. My department is going that way, with the hemi, for highway, and the the smalle engine for city. Its got to have the most room of any car I have ever been in.
I am not a mechanic, so all my feelings above, are purely subjective.
Now to the TL.
It is being driven at almost 1300 miles a month and has had no malfunctions. Tire tread is still excellent.
The problems my friend is having with the tl, is the same that I had. Basically one mechaniical. and one physical.
The mechanical part is the screeching and the vibration in the brake system, as others have noted on this forum numerous times.
He has brought the vehicle in two three different accura service departments and its always the same.
The brakes vibrate and make screeching sounds making turns, (especially left hand turns) even at low speeds. Even upon making a turn after a red light.
The computer stability controls, seem to go on too quickly, even on manhattan streets, where the road has slight imperfections.
The brakes work just fine, its just such an annoyance on a suppossedly entry level luxury sports sedan, that it should not be.
The physical part is the paint job. The paint has so many fine scratches and nicks just from driving. Its not driven on dirt roads, or gravel roads, but on asphalt, but I can see the nose and bumper of the car, is starting to look crappy. Its a nbp. He has had it touched up several times, but is really thinking about after the summer, to having it repainted, or trading it in.
Otherwise he loves the car. The brakes being his biggest annoyance.
My signifigant other, just bought a new vehicle, which surprised me, on how nice a vehcile it is.
She got an mazda 5. Which is sort of a small minivan. Its amazing equipped, and has great room, and priced out the door with tax (over 8 percent) and motor vehicle fees at less then $20,000. Its great for the city, and she likes to go to ikea, and to yard sales, so its great.

Well thats it, and hope it sheds some light. I guess the perfect car will never be made. Well maybee my sequoi is close to it. LOL
I think the m35x will be my car for the next 200,000 miles. I hope to give an update on the acura tl vs m35x, at 200,000 miles. LOL

Stay safe
Old 09-09-2006, 07:57 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the through review.

How's M35x handle / accelerate compared to the TL?
Old 09-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Instructor

query

Originally Posted by kennyc
Thanks for the through review.

How's M35x handle / accelerate compared to the TL?
When you look up the 0-60 times, both cars seem to be withinga tenth or two, depending on the review or test, but I definately feel the tl is quicker at 0-60 and at 40 to 60.
I feel the m35x handling to be much more assured, in my personal feeling. I feel I could take turns and go thru the twistys with much greater assurance in the m35. I never felt quite secure with the tl, but then I am speaking in comparison. Compared to most cars I have driven the tl, is highly competent and able, but I feel more secure in the m35x
If it was a race up the side of a mountain, I think the tl would win, if the race was down the side of a mountain, I think the m35 would win.
This is because I think the tl has more oomph, but looses it in the handling and braking going down the hill.

Stay safe
Old 09-09-2006, 08:49 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by flatfoot
When you look up the 0-60 times, both cars seem to be withinga tenth or two, depending on the review or test, but I definately feel the tl is quicker at 0-60 and at 40 to 60.
I feel the m35x handling to be much more assured, in my personal feeling. I feel I could take turns and go thru the twistys with much greater assurance in the m35. I never felt quite secure with the tl, but then I am speaking in comparison. Compared to most cars I have driven the tl, is highly competent and able, but I feel more secure in the m35x
If it was a race up the side of a mountain, I think the tl would win, if the race was down the side of a mountain, I think the m35 would win.
This is because I think the tl has more oomph, but looses it in the handling and braking going down the hill.

Stay safe
Great info! thanks again!
Old 09-10-2006, 07:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Welcome back, flatfoot! Thanks as usual for your review.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
nice review and thanx...I too would pick the m35x over the TL if i had the extra $$$...
Old 09-10-2006, 04:13 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Good to hear from you again. Glad your new ride seems to be working better for you. How are the seats in the Charger that you spend all day in?
Old 09-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Instructor

seats

[QUOTE=MR1]Good to hear from you again. Glad your new ride seems to be working better for you. How are the seats in the Charger that you spend all day in?[/QUOTEI ]

The seats are a bit hard and a bit uncomfortable. The same way I feel about the seats in the 300c, and dodge magnum, which are sister cars in a great majority of ways. However the car is roomy for a driver, and I love the room.
However dodge offers a changeout of the seats to a sport seat(I forget exactly what they are called), but I have driven one with these seats on a privately owned charger, and they are just delightful.
I also saw them at a car show, installed in a 300, by a company I think called dubs or something. It about a grand, with a bit of extra trim work, but it would be well worth it in my opinion.

Stay safe.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by flatfoot
The computer stability controls, seem to go on too quickly, even on manhattan streets, where the road has slight imperfections.

"Slight Imperfections" - LMAO - I grew up in NYC, and many of the roads resemble the streets of Iraq. Nothing "slight" about them...

Old 09-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I appreciated the review and details! The M35X is areally nice car!