10,000 Mile service Help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006 | 07:16 AM
4th Gear

10,000 Mile service Help please

Hey,

I just got a message on my 2005 TL saying service due B. I called the dealership and they said that it is due for the 10,000 mile service. They said it costs around $140. Now I realize that this nothing to many TL owners with the price of the car but I am one of the few that just had to have the car, even though a bit out of my league. That being said, I still want to maintain my car and keep it running top notch. Does anyone know what is entitled in this service, how much is necessary and what I can do myself. I don't have an extreme amount of time on my hands but I would much rather sacrifice the time for the $$$. Thank you all in advance for any help you could offer.
Old 01-04-2006 | 07:53 AM
Burning Brakes

They gave you an owners manual?

What needs to be done for each service is listed in the owners manual.

I do all my own work because:

I save money (big time),

I do it when its convienient to me, not them,

I do it RIGHT (or really do it),

I have not paid anyone to do anything but tire work on any car for the last
20 years, and that includes major motor and transmission work, brake jobs, ac system repairs (R134a conversion on the Jaguar), etc.

I mail order parts, most times, very low prices, free shipping, no sales tax, and have them on hand for when I want to do the work.
I plan stuff for when its warm out, put the tunes on, and have a few brews, and
save big time.

Brett
Old 01-04-2006 | 08:50 AM
Instructor

I am for doing stuff myself if it can be done.

I don't trust people.

When I first got my Acura, there is a list of stuff they have to check before giving you the car. The tech put a line down threw all of the items as to say done. There is no way he checked all of that stuff and when I got the car there was a big dent on the door. But the Check for dents section was cleary marked.

So either he checked for dents, then drove the car out of the garage to the front so I can take delivery and some huge boulder hit the door in that 30 second drive or he never checked. Either way it wasted my time as I would not take that car, so they had to 'prep' another one.

Basically they don't check, they don't care. If it says 'check' that means continue on to 'do' section. Just my opinion. The tech has nothing to lose, Acura does. If something blows, he says I checked it and it was fine at the time.

So I will not pay them to check anything. I will pay them to 'do' something I can't.
Old 01-04-2006 | 09:25 AM
Administrator

The B service is an oil change, tire rotation, and checking a bunch of stuff that they should check anyway when doing an oil change.

The oil change usually costs $25-30, and if you can do that yourself, then you can also do the tire rotation and save another $40 or so, so you can do it all for the price of the oil and filter.

Biggest rip-off ever, and there is no such thing as a 10,000 mile service anymore, not when you have the MID to tell you when to do things.
Old 01-04-2006 | 09:32 AM
Suzuka Master

I usually let the dealer do the first oil change in case there is issues ( and I have seen it more than once ) with trying to get off an oil filter etc that was applied too tight or cross threaded at the factory.

After that I scan the XXXX mile service page and do everything I can and check it off indicating the date and if applicable I attach reciepts for products used and I file the info away in case it is needed later. If there is an item or 2 I can't do I have the dealer do the balance of the service at an agreed reduced cost. And the reduction is substantial. I always get a quote for the full service prior to negotiating the reduced cost.

If your going to do any of your own servicing its VERY important to keep complete records should you have warranty issues down the road. More than one person has been refuced warranty because they didn't keep good complete records showing the proper spec'd products were used. Usually this person will crap all over the dealer for the refused warranty as it was the dealers fault that poor or no records were kept.

Also any time I take my car to the dealer or any other service facillity I have a walk around inspection sheet that I go over with the Service Advisor. This sheet lists all the "attractive" after market accessories I have on the car in case anything "seems" to walk off and it also points out the lack of dents, scratches,dirty hand prints and curb rash on the wheels etc. I also request they DO NOT WASH the car. Thier $8/hr wash bay boy has a tendency to install free swirls you might not like.

I have yet to have a Service Adviser have a problem with this as it also protects them from false accusations. If he does have a problem or wants it waved ask to speak with the owner.
Old 01-04-2006 | 09:43 AM
Instructor

Nobody touches my car unless it is a warranty issue...

- Change your oil & filter (I use the Honda oils and filters and do mine evry 5,000m for peace of mind's sake...and staple the receipt to your owners manual back page)

- Tire rotation is a breeze (see owners manual for positions...I do mine at 5,000m and thoroughly wash the insides of the rim...again for peace of mind's sake)

- Check all other fluid levels (which you should be doing at every/every other fillup any way)

- Go spend your "saved" $120 on a nice dinner and movie with the g/f or bride

Cheers, Z
Old 01-04-2006 | 10:09 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Originally Posted by CHIEFZUSAF
- Change your oil & filter (I use the Honda oils and filters and do mine evry 5,000m for peace of mind's sake...and staple the receipt to your owners manual back page)
That's a lot of oil changes. At 75 mph you'd be stopping after driving for only a minute and 30 seconds to change your oil and filter!

Old 01-04-2006 | 10:15 AM
Look Mean, Play Nice

For my first B service at 10,000 miles, I specifically asked them to rotate my tires yet sure enough after I got home I noticed the curb rash on my back right wheel was still on the same back right rear wheel. Thanks a lot, stealership!
Old 01-04-2006 | 10:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Go for your first check up at the dealer after that look for a smaller shop alot of time formal Acura Techs open up there own shops and will definately be cheaper if u can find a fair honest guy (i know good luck)
Old 01-04-2006 | 12:20 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
That's a lot of oil changes. At 75 mph you'd be stopping after driving for only a minute and 30 seconds to change your oil and filter!

What are you talking about?
Old 01-04-2006 | 12:27 PM
tTLiang

Originally Posted by Gibby
canadian joke. noticed 5000M (meter not mi=miles).
Old 01-04-2006 | 12:28 PM
Instructor

I think he's talking meters and I'm talking miles...
Old 01-04-2006 | 02:10 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Confucius say, he who laugh last, him no get joke.

It was a joke based on his use of "m" in his post. 5000 meters is the equivalent of 5 km, which means that at 75 mph (120 km/h), you go 2 km a minute. So I mistyped the timing of the oil changes; it would be every TWO minutes 30 seconds, not every ONE minute 30 seconds.
Old 01-04-2006 | 02:17 PM
tTLiang

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
Confucius say, he who laugh last, him no get joke.

It was a joke based on his use of "m" in his post. 5000 meters is the equivalent of 5 km, which means that at 75 mph (120 km/h), you go 2 km a minute. So I mistyped the timing of the oil changes; it would be every TWO minutes 30 seconds, not every ONE minute 30 seconds.
eh....add 7+ sec roughly to get to 75mph first after each oil change. K enough, i'll quit now.
Old 01-04-2006 | 05:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey,

I just got a message on my 2005 TL saying service due B. I called the dealership and they said that it is due for the 10,000 mile service. They said it costs around $140. Now I realize that this nothing to many TL owners with the price of the car but I am one of the few that just had to have the car, even though a bit out of my league. That being said, I still want to maintain my car and keep it running top notch. Does anyone know what is entitled in this service, how much is necessary and what I can do myself. I don't have an extreme amount of time on my hands but I would much rather sacrifice the time for the $$$. Thank you all in advance for any help you could offer.
I had a 04 TL for 33k miles and all I ever did was OIL whenever the MID got down to 30% and I used Mobil 1. I do an Air filter every 12-15K miles. And then brakes when the car needs them. I don;t even flush the tranny fluid any more, which on my older cars I had done at 25k miles. Most dealer "services" include BS that is nto even in the manual. Look at the manual and see what needs to be done when. Trulthfully most modern cars don;t need much more than regular oil changes for a long time. 4 cylinders generally need a timing belt some where around 50-70k miles. Changling your own oil ont he TL is a bit of a pain, the filter is in a suck ass spot and the oil pan is fairly low, but I still do it my self. I don't trust any of these knuckle heads at oil places to touch my car and the dealer charges too much and often there is a small wait. I can change the oil and be cleaned up in 30-45 minutes with allowing al the old oil to stop dripping out. And using Mobil1 Oil and Filter the change runs me around $30. And at 30% on the MID that is usually around 5k miles.
Old 01-04-2006 | 05:16 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ttliang
eh....add 7+ sec roughly to get to 75mph first after each oil change. K enough, i'll quit now.
Sorry, I overlooked the moose with the Canadian flag. My Canadian sense of humor is now turned on. Thank you all for your input. I will go through my manual and see what I can do myself. I agree with Ron A. They should be doing the checks on belt tension strength an such with the service not for an additional $100.