Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10,000 Mile Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 06:46 AM
04TL/SSM/Quartz/AT/Navi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10,000 Mile Review

Well, I've had my '04TL since last September and just cracked the 10,000 mile barrier.

For those of you who like to use these forums to complain about the $32,000+ ride you bought (hopefully after much comparative shopping and reading the numerous informative threads on this site), you'll be disappointed with my review, so you no longer need to read on.

For those of you who thoroughly appreciate your choice of rides, here are the pro's and con's IMHO after 9 months of ownership:

Pro's:

The Looks
People still take a 2nd glance to check it out.

The Value
For around $35,000 I don't think there is another car on the market that has all the features of the TL (especially the interior).

The Cost to Maintain
I've spent a whopping $58 (1st oil change and tire rotation at the dealer) in maintenance. I have friends who have BMW's, etc. (is every other car on the road either a 3 Series or 5 Series??), who are tired of paying an average of $1,000+ a year to keep their ride going.

The Interior
How much would we have to pay for another car to get all the goodies that are standard in the TL (plus I have the Navi):
* DVD Audio (which is awesome with the right music)
* Bluetooth HFL
* XM Satellite Radio (I have not listened to AM/FM since the day I picked up my TL)
* Voice-Recognition Navi
* That cool ambient blue lighting
* The list goes on...
I have the Quartz interior and the mix of colors (black, silver and grey) make for a fabulous combination.

Quiet Ride
Ok, so I drove an Accord before I bought my TL. Once you turn on some music (around 7 or 8 on the volume scale), you really have to listen hard to hear outside noise.

Comfort
I, too have those butt prints, but the seats are very comfortable and there is plenty of room in the back for adults.

Gas Mileage
That's right -- gas mileage. I'm averaging 23-24 MPG driving around the city and 33-34 MPG on the highway.

Con's (the short list):

Tires
Those EL42's just don't give me the sense of total confidence, and in the winter I'm really careful in the snow and ice. Not sure what I'm going to get when these Turanza's wear out, but so far they seem to be wearing pretty normal.

Rattles
OK -- I will admit I have some interior noise caused by either plastic parts rubbing (especially on the center console) or door rattles (which seem to be noticeable by my left ear on the driver door and somewhere on the passenger door). I'm having those looked at in a few weeks at the dealership where I bought my TL.

Looking Out the Left Side
I know that's how the car is designed, but I do have to take a double look out the driver side mirror and over my left shoulder just to be sure there is nobody in the left lane before moving over. But, hey, the cool look of our TL from the side makes up for this minor inconvenience.

In closing -- thanks to everyone on this site -- I look here almost every day for tips and hints, comparative info (especially the neat list on Bluetooth phones compatible with the TL), and pics (mine is stock and I can't justify spending more with my son in college and retirement to plan for). This site is great!!
Old 06-21-2005, 06:49 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uh yeah, what he said!

GOOD REVIEW man... We're defiantely on the same page...
Old 06-21-2005, 07:43 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,275 Likes on 2,641 Posts
Good review, I also double look over my shoulder when I move over into the left lane.

Also a few small rattles have come and gone, also have an occasional rattle coming from somewhere to the left of my head near the top seatbelt retractor area in the A pillar.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:55 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Nice review.

I can pretty much agree with everything you've said, though I only have 4,200 miles on my car. I haven't experienced any rattles not caused by something in the door pockets or glove box, and I'm happy about that.

It'll be one year this Friday since I took delivery, and I haven't had any cause for regrets. I did my first oil change at around 3,300 miles regardless of what the MID was saying, and haven't put anything other than fuel and a K&N air filter into it since.

I hope to get more use out of the car this year, and I still get a thrill every time I use it. It's second only to my '69 Dodge Dart on the thrill-ride meter.

Regards,
Old 06-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Racer

I just passed the 10,000 miles marker this past weekend on a road trip back home. I have had the car 1 year and 9 days. I'll have to agree with everything you said as well, except the seats were a little uncomfortable this past trip, but that could be from driving 4 hrs straight. The thing I'm surprised about is the gas mileage reviews are not better for this car. For a car with 270 HP, 33 on the hwy is damm good. I get between 24 and 27 with city/hwy combination driving most of the time and 32-34 on the hwy. In fact, I filled my car up on the way home Sunday about 40-50 miles West of Tallahassee FL, drove down to Tampa FL, drove to work Monday and Tuesday (Today), about 365 miles so far and have not filled the tank yet. Not bad at all if you ask me.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Pro

u tell em bud, cant wait to see how mine measures up at 10k
Old 06-21-2005, 11:32 AM
Advanced

Talking

good review. i have 700 miles and got 2 rattles, plus tons of looks from ppl on the street ;p
Old 06-21-2005, 04:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Excellent review. I hope your good fortune continues, as mine has.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:23 PM
Safety Car

i agree with that driver side mirror blindspot problem. i always look out the side just in case there is a car just past my trunk. this car was bigger than my last but the blind spot is huge! i know people will say i have the mirrors aim'ed incorrectly but believe me i have tried the technique posted on this board as well as lots of trial and error. just seems like there is no real way to get a decent view of you driver side rear.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:26 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Thanks for the update. Only one oil chagge in 10K?

I know that's how the car is designed, but I do have to take a double look out the driver side mirror and over my left shoulder just to be sure there is nobody in the left lane before moving over. But, hey, the cool look of our TL from the side makes up for this minor inconvenience.
Actually I wish all folks looked over their shoulders instead of just moving over. I find the TL to me much easier to look over the shoulder than my previous coupe. One of my nightmares is that someone's just gonna merge over into my right side on my daily commute.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:28 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Excellent to hear, im with you. I love this car. On a side note my brother saw my car for 1st time. Hes a vw, audi lover. I had to wipe the drull off my car when he saw it.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Excellent review. I hope your good fortune continues, as mine has.

I am loving my car as well!
Old 06-22-2005, 01:02 AM
Pro

I have just over 10,000 miles myself and agree with most everything said except I do not have navi and did not buy the sat radio... also, knock on wood... no rattles..

But, I another issue besides the left blind spot... it is ther RIGHT blind spot which I am not used to.. it is the A pillar. I have almost had two accidents as there was a car hidden in the A pillar that I did not see!!! I can not belive that they can be hidden there, but they were...
Old 06-22-2005, 03:43 AM
Boondocks fanatic.....

This one thread alone lets me know that I have bought a good car!
Old 06-22-2005, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Received 1,012 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by Formula 350
I have just over 10,000 miles myself and agree with most everything said except I do not have navi and did not buy the sat radio... also, knock on wood... no rattles..

But, I another issue besides the left blind spot... it is ther RIGHT blind spot which I am not used to.. it is the A pillar. I have almost had two accidents as there was a car hidden in the A pillar that I did not see!!! I can not belive that they can be hidden there, but they were...
Amen to the blind spot. My wife can't believe I don't see something the size of a car, because it was blocked by the A pillar. Almost hit people walking in the parking lots, also. I have since learned to move my head and look around the A pillar.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:27 AM
Drifting

(quote)

Guys, check out the thread about the proper way to adjust your side mirrors to see the blind spot. After learning this trick, I have 360degree vision with my mirrors and windshield never having to look out the side window or over my shoulder to see into the blind spot. That's the real purpose of side mirrors. When they are adjusted properly, as someone moves out of view in the rear view mirror, they will come into vision on the side mirror if they're adjusted properly. Try it.....go slow, then adjust the side mirrors as someone passes you so that they never get into a blind spot as they pass by. Do this with both mirrors and you'll never go back to the usual setting once you see how your situational awareness is improved by the mirrors. IT WORKS!!
Old 06-23-2005, 12:51 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by JetJock
(quote)

Guys, check out the thread about the proper way to adjust your side mirrors to see the blind spot. After learning this trick, I have 360degree vision with my mirrors and windshield never having to look out the side window or over my shoulder to see into the blind spot. That's the real purpose of side mirrors. When they are adjusted properly, as someone moves out of view in the rear view mirror, they will come into vision on the side mirror if they're adjusted properly. Try it.....go slow, then adjust the side mirrors as someone passes you so that they never get into a blind spot as they pass by. Do this with both mirrors and you'll never go back to the usual setting once you see how your situational awareness is improved by the mirrors. IT WORKS!!
I have been doing this for over 20 years... nothing new to me... BUT, I still have a blind spot!! (besides the one on the right with the A pillar...

it is because of where the B pillar is located.... on my coupe, the B pillar is back about 5 more inches and you can easily see a car out of the corner of your eye if it is not in the mirror... so, rear view for cars back a ways, the side mirror for cars normally in the blind spot and a easy look out the side for anybody else... but with this car, there is that dang pillar RIGHT THERE!! So, I do have to take an extra look to see that nothing is there.... and especially with someone two lanes over!!
Old 06-23-2005, 06:27 AM
Team Anthracite Member

22,000 miles here and my review would read the same.

Tires are not the best but still have a lot of tread on them so I will ride them out. Minor rattles/noises seem to come and go - temperature changes really. I have the persistent one at the top of the door (driver and I think passenger too). I have not tried anything to fix - either the felt fix described here or even some silicon spray. XM is great - hope they keep the prices real though - when I drive the wife's '02 TL, the FM is just horrible - but the BOSE are sweet. Getting average of 29-30 mpg commuting - some stop/go - and some "spirited" driving as well
Had the memory seat fixed, tranny recall for oil jet kit, fixed my own headliner...the power of magnets! I think I have the rear deck problem many have had - specially with my Father's day gift of the latest '50 Cent' CD - really gets it vibrating. Do not dare to have dealer touch though - they do not have the intelligence or customer satisfaction drive around here... so I will live with it.

This is so far the best car I have ever owned. For 30K, with a sharp look on the outside and awesome interior - hands down THE best bang for your buck. Absolutely love this car.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:20 AM
ediddy

no problem with rattles or anything at over 10k =)
Old 07-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by srhewes

Tires
Those EL42's just don't give me the sense of total confidence, and in the winter I'm really careful in the snow and ice. Not sure what I'm going to get when these Turanza's wear out, but so far they seem to be wearing pretty normal

I put Potenza RE 750's on my TL and they have been wonderful. Drove through driving rain several times and absolutely no hydroplaning. Of course they are not all season tires like the EL's but if you were ever thinking of having summer and winter tires ( I live in Canada so it's a must) I would highly recommend the 750's
Old 07-03-2005, 05:35 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys, check out the thread about the proper way to adjust your side mirrors to see the blind spot.
Can you guys kindly direct me to that thread?

Thanks
Old 07-03-2005, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Received 1,012 Likes on 577 Posts
It's in the 3G Garage. E-043: Outside rear view mirror adjustments
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83972

I adjusted my mirrors like this soon after I got my TL in February 2004, and it is the only way to go. Once you get used to it, it will really help eliminate those blind spots.