Is the 09 g37s sedan faster than an 08 TLS

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009 | 02:09 AM
I have car ADD

:: edwin happens to know a few things

and one of the things edwin knows is.... its not how you stand by your car... its how you race you car....
Old 05-12-2009 | 02:10 AM
I have car ADD

driver makes all the difference... my friend with the 6MT 350Z should'a beat me....but driver/shifting error...

the IS350 is a fast car... but i guess i got lucky....
Old 05-12-2009 | 02:19 AM
G Force

Most time, it's not how many HP or Torque your car has, but it's how you drive and race your car.

I remember back in High School, when I drove a Toyota Tercel 1.3L, and I've raced and won against Hyundai Excel and Elantra, Honda Civic, Accord, and Prelude, Mitsubishi Lacer and Galant

I'm not saying that my ride back then was the best or that I was the best, it's just that I learn and get to know at lot about my car... I drove a 5MT, and learned when to shift up and down....

But, of course, these days, cars are pack with lots of HP, and you might not able to push to the limit, cuz, there are so many electronic involvement that limits the engine's potential...
Old 05-12-2009 | 07:19 AM
E55>>>TLS

I can't believe people don't know how to use google for a question like this. Everytime a thread like this pops up people start telling their stories of how they beat a certain car and others argue that it is impossible that happened as if they were there to see it. Someone was even insisting on seeing a video before they believed what another member had said. Bottom line, people are entitled to there own opinions and can believe whatever they want. If a TLS beat a G35/G37 either you believe it or start getting defensive and say driver couldn't drive, TLS got lucky, magazines say otherwise or I have a G37 and beat a TLS. There was another thread about a 6MT TLS beating a 6MT G37S so people can search that to get some input from there. So it's just pointless to even bother writing what car you beat b/c people are not going to believe you. One other thing, Blackura posted that he beat a 6MT 350Z but lost to a 5AT G37. On the other hand, I've beat a 5AT G37 and lost to a modded 6MT 350Z and we have all the same mods except I don't have pre-cats. So people can believe you or not; honestly I could care less what others think when it comes to racing because there are so many variables that contribute to it.

Last edited by dr_brains510; 05-12-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-12-2009 | 07:54 AM
Nismo TL yo!

Originally Posted by shooter
driver makes a big diff. whether it's AT or MT in street condition IMO ...
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
:: edwin happens to know a few things

and one of the things edwin knows is.... its not how you stand by your car... its how you race you car....
driver makes all the difference... my friend with the 6MT 350Z should'a beat me....but driver/shifting error...

the IS350 is a fast car... but i guess i got lucky....
Thats what I was getting at. If all those cars were driven 'perfectly' I believe some would have been different outcomes.
Old 05-12-2009 | 05:12 PM
I have car ADD

dr_brains

good points.. variables play a MAJOR roll.... like

1) Driver / Human Skills & Error
2) Tires
3) Weight (2 people in one car, full tank of gas vs. almost empty), large system
4) how fresh is your oil change?
5) temp conditions.. maybe you jsut got in your TL, but the G37 was driving all day
6) 5-60mph roll is a BIG difference from a 0-60 roll....
7) sprung weigh.. does one car have 34lb 20" wheels, and the other stock, or 18lb volks?

OH, and to add this while we are talking about it...

i STOMPED on a Porsche Boxster.. not once, not twice, but THREE times... i dont believe they were "S".. i think regular boxster
Old 05-12-2009 | 06:01 PM
Burning Brakes

I was taking a boxer through the turns on highway 17 doing 70 downhill at night..I think he was suprise and didnt want to race no more

p.s.. the ssame night I raced this asian chick in a A5. She came up quick and lit up those sexy LED audi lights..we did a couple runs to 100 something then she took her exit..dam that was some shit

Last edited by JwongTLS; 05-12-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-12-2009 | 07:07 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by dr_brains510
I can't believe people don't know how to use google for a question like this. Everytime a thread like this pops up people start telling their stories of how they beat a certain car and others argue that it is impossible that happened as if they were there to see it. Someone was even insisting on seeing a video before they believed what another member had said. Bottom line, people are entitled to there own opinions and can believe whatever they want. If a TLS beat a G35/G37 either you believe it or start getting defensive and say driver couldn't drive, TLS got lucky, magazines say otherwise or I have a G37 and beat a TLS. There was another thread about a 6MT TLS beating a 6MT G37S so people can search that to get some input from there. So it's just pointless to even bother writing what car you beat b/c people are not going to believe you. One other thing, Blackura posted that he beat a 6MT 350Z but lost to a 5AT G37. On the other hand, I've beat a 5AT G37 and lost to a modded 6MT 350Z and we have all the same mods except I don't have pre-cats. So people can believe you or not; honestly I could care less what others think when it comes to racing because there are so many variables that contribute to it.
This thread was based off giving merit to the engine.. not the driver behind the wheel. Anyone and everyone knows a good driver is going to take a bad driver any day.. and in that world I can attest and tell you that I beat my friends 350Z 6MT when he first got it because he couldn't shift properly. Few months later.. it was different outcome. Another one, raced a G35 and killed him too, but he was staggered on 20's and 21's... so I mean to me that's retarded. I'm certain that those people who said they beat G's, Z's, and IS's did.. but it doesn't give merit to the car as being faster, it gives merit to the driver behind the wheel.. which is a big difference.

Keeping all variables equal, is where the merit to a car goes to. I'm sure I can even give a TYPE S a good run if someone behind the wheel doesn't know how to launch properly and maybe even take him.. does that make my base faster? Lets wake up.
Old 05-12-2009 | 07:11 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

And to add a funny story about a porche carrera .. just because blackura bought it up in the previous post.. I pulled up to a red light in Miami 2 nights ago and naturally the way my car looks, (as I'm sure its the same for all you guys too), the guy next to me in the porche started reving his engine, slight rolling fwd and rolling back, immediately knew it was a MT.

I wasn't going to race him because I just didnt want to embarass myself.. so anyways.. Light turns green, he goes to gun it.. I just accelerate normally....and guess what.... his shit stalled! LMAO. Me and my girl died laughing.. so I killed him.

Last edited by Elegant TYPE S; 05-12-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-12-2009 | 07:38 PM
Acuras Only in

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
And to add a funny story about a porche carrera .. just because blackura bought it up in the previous post.. I pulled up to a red light in Miami 2 nights ago and naturally the way my car looks, (as I'm sure its the same for all you guys too), the guy next to me in the porche started reving his engine, slight rolling fwd and rolling back, immediately knew it was a MT.

I wasn't going to race him because I just didnt want to embarass myself.. so anyways.. Light turns green, he goes to gun it.. I just accelerate normally....and guess what.... his shit stalled! LMAO. Me and my girl died laughing.. so I killed him.
LMAO .... some guys just can't perform under pressure huh ?
Old 05-12-2009 | 09:13 PM
Racer

I think the best way to judge is having the same person drive each car and give their opinion. That way you can throw out the I beat this car and he beat that car. Have one person drive both cars and give an opinion. I think this kills 2 birds with one stone. JMO

I drive both cars and I will say for sure the TL's dont stand a chance. BLACKURA has as modded of a TL as you can get right this moment taking away the zex kit. He's pushing 290+ whp which is in-line with the G37. I'd say let him drive a G37 and determine the difference. I'm giving my personal opinion from both cars and I will say right off bat. If you have a TL and you have the same caliber driver as you honk your horn and let him go by. You're chances of beating him is slim to none.
Old 05-12-2009 | 09:39 PM
Burning Brakes

so on the 2nd honk floor it
Old 05-13-2009 | 11:54 AM
Intermediate

The TL's are quick cars. It's just not the same type of vehicle as the G35/37 though. RWD + More HP + More TQ + Same Weight = What do you expect?

I prefer the looks, features, and DD quality of the TL over the G, but both are very nice.
Old 05-13-2009 | 12:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
2004 results according to MT

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...test_data.html

G35 sedan and TL are pretty much neck and neck

TL had 10 more HP but the G35 was a tad quicker. Except in the 0-100mph run where the TL edged it out 17.3 versus 17.9
From the article :

"At the core of the G35's responsive behavior is exquisite balance. The car's 260-horse DOHC V-6 is mounted mostly behind the front-wheel centerline."

This was the '03-'04 Sedan with AT. All 6MT and '05+ had either 280hp or 298hp IIRC, all of which were a lot faster than the 260hp tune on that 3.5.
Old 05-14-2009 | 12:43 AM
Advanced

I have raced both G35 and 37S and both were coupe and burned both cars. G35 sedan cant keep up with the TL at all. I have raced many of them and none of them could keep up. Also i have burned a TLS but my car is modded and also 6speed. All 3 cars were auto. Don't actually know about the G sedan. I do think that the TLS can beat the G37S auto but don't know about 6mt.
Old 05-14-2009 | 12:49 AM
Drifting

and your mods are?

you have luck. auto or not, the g37 will beat any TL or TL-s unless its on spray or f/i
Old 05-14-2009 | 12:55 AM
Advanced

my mods are Pro Cats, AEM Cai, P2R, and i used to have a Greddy Evo 2. But i have weights to. A Sound system. The reason why i knew all 3 cars were auto is G35 coupe was my friend, G37S coupe was my neighbor and after i raced the TLS he came up and told me my ride was fast and he was also braging that his car is a tls auto.
Old 05-14-2009 | 01:02 AM
Advanced

I tried to run my neighbor again that night but he didnt want to, also this was going up hill.
Old 05-14-2009 | 12:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 06 Acura TL A-Spec
I have raced both G35 and 37S and both were coupe and burned both cars. G35 sedan cant keep up with the TL at all. I have raced many of them and none of them could keep up. Also i have burned a TLS but my car is modded and also 6speed. All 3 cars were auto. Don't actually know about the G sedan. I do think that the TLS can beat the G37S auto but don't know about 6mt.
lulwut?

I love the TL-S, but there's no way it's even hanging with a G37S, auto or no.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...335/index.html

With the auto tranny, 0-60 in 5.4, 1/4 in 14 flat @ 100.9, 6MT G37S are even faster, I've seen various tests showing 5.2 and 5.3.

Compare to : 2007/2008 TL-S 6MT, best 0-60 run I've seen is 5.7, with most reports being higher by a little or a lot.

The TL and TL-S are down on HP, and significantly down on TQ compared to G37.

I love the crap out of TLs, but come on.
Old 05-14-2009 | 03:46 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by Arkaign
lulwut?

With the auto tranny, 0-60 in 5.4, 1/4 in 14 flat @ 100.9, 6MT G37S are even faster, I've seen various tests showing 5.2 and 5.3.

Compare to : 2007/2008 TL-S 6MT, best 0-60 run I've seen is 5.7, with most reports being higher by a little or a lot.

Yeah I know.. but those are TYPE S's. His 06 is special.. its an ASPEC
Old 05-14-2009 | 03:54 PM
I have car ADD

lulwut?

G37S ran 1/4 mile in 14 flat??? thats actually terrible.. if thats the case, then YES, a TL 6MT or TL-S has a fair chance of beating one....
with just a few tiny bolt-ons

maybe our lack of power/low end tq is made up for with the V-TEC... Do the VQ engine's have any type of valve timing/lift changes? like v-tec or toyota vvt-i or mitsubish mi-vec

Last edited by BLACKURA_NY; 05-14-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-14-2009 | 07:49 PM
Intermediate

G37S ran 1/4 mile in 14 flat??? thats actually terrible.. if thats the case, then YES, a TL 6MT or TL-S has a fair chance of beating one....
with just a few tiny bolt-ons

maybe our lack of power/low end tq is made up for with the V-TEC... Do the VQ engine's have any type of valve timing/lift changes? like v-tec or toyota vvt-i or mitsubish mi-vec
VQ's do have a form of VVT. The review I posted I intentionally found one of the slower tests with the auto, to show the worst-case scenario. Many get notably quicker times :

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

0-60 in 5.2, 1/4 in 13.8@104, and that's also with the auto.

As I said, the best 6MT G35/37 stock times (from credible sources only, no G37 forum brags) I've seen are around 5.1, with 1/4 in 13.5.

EDIT : AFAIK, isn't the G37S Coupe also more expensive than a TL? If it were my $, I'd still go with a TL in that segment, but nobody can deny a ton of extra HP/TQ is nice (not to mention the ease of launching a proper FR setup, and the capacity for throttle-induced oversteer when you want it).
Old 05-14-2009 | 08:54 PM
I have car ADD

ya know, when i wrecked the blackura (july `07) i went to infiniti 20 minutes before i bought my TL-S....

it was 8/8... the DAY the 08 G37S launched... i test drove it... it was fast... it sounded great.... BUT... my honest drawbacks

1) still a cheap interior
2) poor gas consumption
3) 20 gallon tank
4) RWD (NY winter ftl)
5) stiff ride
6) about $3-$4k more than type-s (couldnt get below MSRP , b/c car was BRAND new style)
7) i LOVE ACURAZINE
Old 05-14-2009 | 08:55 PM
I have car ADD

i think a stock tl-s 5AT, is running 1/4 mile in about 14.4.... 6MT should be about 14 flat (if driven properly and launched right)

torque steer & FWD = FTL
Old 05-14-2009 | 09:16 PM
blah

I wouldn't mind taking a shot at a G37 from a roll in my TL-P 6spd if there was no one around.
Old 05-14-2009 | 09:41 PM
E55>>>TLS

Maybe I was misinformed about this question but I thought it was asking about the G37 Sedan. If that was the case, then yes; a G37 Sedan will beat a TLS (6MT/5AT). A G37 coupe will also beat a stock TLS. A fully modded TLS will beat a stock G37. I know that is obviously not fair to say but that's the case. If a G37 was modded then it would obviously beat a modded TLS. When I said I beat a G37, I wasn't stock. Now, I see ppl posting times they've seen and again those times don't mean anything. Just b/c that magazine achieved a 13.5, 13.8, 14.1 means nothing. Fact of the matter is most of the people can't get those times anyway. I've also seen G37S 6MT stock running 14.1 and G37S 5AT running 13.8. When I lined up to race that G37, I wasn't thinking about the 1/4 mile times of G37's. Maybe he was thinking about the 1/4 mile times of TL's and that's why he lost (must have been too overconfident) Now I'm not saying I'll beat every G37, G35 etc. but not every G35, G37 etc. will beat me.
Old 05-14-2009 | 10:10 PM
Racer

Try driving both cars guys and make your assumption. That is the only answer. Racing someone isn't going to tell you anything about the other car except how it looks. JMO
Old 05-14-2009 | 10:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JwongTLS
No, u cant even compare the TL to the G. I never driven a base TL so I cant say. But if u ask me, yes I am saying 28 hp is a night and day diffrence. Diffrence in power? yes, handling?yes, basicly a sportier TL. Also its a drivers race if were talkin about MT. Im saying a TLS is worth running a G if both we're stock from a roll not a dig. Now with bolt-ons, the base can eat a type-s with a blower obviously.

Also the AT and MT tranny's are two diffrent animals.
28hp is not a night and day difference in a 3500-3600 lb car. To put it into perspective, I raced a bone stock 6MT base TL several times and pulled a car length or even slightly less, from 40-90 mph. Figure that stock, a base 6MT puts low 220's to the wheels and I'm probably putting down mid to high 240's. We're both very good manual drivers. I'd say my car is roughly the same, speedwise as a stock 6MT Type-S.
Old 05-14-2009 | 10:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 6spdtl-s
weird that you had trouble with a lot of the coupes but beat the IS, which is probably the fastest of the group.
Don't forget that the early IS350's had the traction control that was like a secret code to disable. Without disabling it, they're a low 14 second car.
Old 05-15-2009 | 03:14 AM
Intermediate

Maybe I was misinformed about this question but I thought it was asking about the G37 Sedan. If that was the case, then yes; a G37 Sedan will beat a TLS (6MT/5AT). A G37 coupe will also beat a stock TLS. A fully modded TLS will beat a stock G37. I know that is obviously not fair to say but that's the case. If a G37 was modded then it would obviously beat a modded TLS. When I said I beat a G37, I wasn't stock. Now, I see ppl posting times they've seen and again those times don't mean anything. Just b/c that magazine achieved a 13.5, 13.8, 14.1 means nothing. Fact of the matter is most of the people can't get those times anyway. I've also seen G37S 6MT stock running 14.1 and G37S 5AT running 13.8. When I lined up to race that G37, I wasn't thinking about the 1/4 mile times of G37's. Maybe he was thinking about the 1/4 mile times of TL's and that's why he lost (must have been too overconfident) Now I'm not saying I'll beat every G37, G35 etc. but not every G35, G37 etc. will beat me.
That's fair, and MT vs. MT, cars that are relatively close (like TL vs. G3X) .. it's a driver's race.

AT vs. AT, smash it and go, hard to argue with old man physics though....

....That's why God invented mods.
Old 05-15-2009 | 03:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by anx1300c
28hp is not a night and day difference in a 3500-3600 lb car. To put it into perspective, I raced a bone stock 6MT base TL several times and pulled a car length or even slightly less, from 40-90 mph. Figure that stock, a base 6MT puts low 220's to the wheels and I'm probably putting down mid to high 240's. We're both very good manual drivers. I'd say my car is roughly the same, speedwise as a stock 6MT Type-S.
Yea maybe not a night and day difference like THAT...but I mean u will feel a difference right..

Again u cannot compare stock vs mod...
Old 05-15-2009 | 12:00 PM
Intermediate

Yea maybe not a night and day difference like THAT...but I mean u will feel a difference right..

Again u cannot compare stock vs mod...
Yes, you definitely can. I've driven several TLs and several G35s, but no G37 yet.

The difference is the torque as well, which on the VQ motors comes on strong pretty early.

2008 TL-S : 286HP/258TQ
2008 TL : 258HP/233TQ

2008 G35 : 306HP/268TQ
2008 G37S : 330HP/270TQ

For all of that though, I think most drivers would be better off in a TL as a much better value for $, though I haven't looked closely at the '09+ models.
Old 05-15-2009 | 03:04 PM
Burning Brakes

As I stated earlier, sohc<dohc. That is why the g is a faster 3.5L and they do have something like vtec, like most other car companies. But if u think about it, Acura did pretty good job with a 286hp/256tq sohc motor pushing that much in a type-s. Im sure the reason is clearly for fuel economy. The type-s 18/27mpg vs G 17/25mpg. Who wouldnt give up those couple ponies for a better looking car with a nicer interior?

Its called a type-s for a reason. If there was no difference, then there would be no point.

It is what it is...
Old 05-15-2009 | 03:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes, you definitely can. I've driven several TLs and several G35s, but no G37 yet.

The difference is the torque as well, which on the VQ motors comes on strong pretty early.

2008 TL-S : 286HP/258TQ
2008 TL : 258HP/233TQ

2008 G35 : 306HP/268TQ
2008 G37S : 330HP/270TQ

For all of that though, I think most drivers would be better off in a TL as a much better value for $, though I haven't looked closely at the '09+ models.
He was actually inquiring if a difference can be felt between a stock and modded TL, not a G and a TL.

To which the answer would be: only marginally. In a car that weighs around 3500 lbs, you're going to need a minimum of 25 chp or 20 whp to notice any seat of the pants improvement. That's why I laugh when someone puts on a CAI that adds 6-8 whp and exclaims how his car is ridiculously faster now.

Last edited by anx1300c; 05-15-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-15-2009 | 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

It might not put down alot of numbers, but the car does feel faster and better throttle response.

I think part of it can be a psychological thing from the sound of it
Old 05-16-2009 | 12:35 AM
Suzuka Master

It might not put down alot of numbers, but the car does feel faster and better throttle response.

I think part of it can be a psychological thing from the sound of it
I think it's psychological or a shared delusion of some sort. I did the intake, spacer and pulley and felt no difference. Then I did the catback a couple weeks later and it felt a little stronger at full throttle. It wasn't until I did the J and race pipes a few weeks after doing the exhaust that I felt a marked improvement. As soon as I pulled out of my driveway and let the clutch out, giving it a decent amount of throttle, I knew the car was finally making a fair amount more power than stock.
Old 05-16-2009 | 12:41 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

^^ I've heard the same thing.. lot of people have said that the cat back wasn't that much but.. the JPIPE really did wonders... so your review is on the money.
Old 05-16-2009 | 12:49 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by anx1300c
I think it's psychological or a shared delusion of some sort. I did the intake, spacer and pulley and felt no difference. Then I did the catback a couple weeks later and it felt a little stronger at full throttle. It wasn't until I did the J and race pipes a few weeks after doing the exhaust that I felt a marked improvement. As soon as I pulled out of my driveway and let the clutch out, giving it a decent amount of throttle, I knew the car was finally making a fair amount more power than stock.
The aftermarket exhaust does make a difference, after i sold my greddy exhaust. My ride feels little slower now.
Old 05-16-2009 | 02:19 AM
Burning Brakes

I would upgrade my j-pipe before my exhaust or catback..It makes more sense upgrading the diameter of the pipings in the middle(j-pipe), or right after the engine than the end(catback,exhaust). That way it makes your mufflers work harder so u get more torque and sounds. Then a catback later on..

If u know 4-banger motors, headers actually make more power than a intake.
Old 10-09-2010 | 03:28 PM
Intermediate

forget the type-s....what about the 4g's sh awd....how would that do vs the G/G-s model??

Quick Reply: Is the 09 g37s sedan faster than an 08 TLS