Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 Type-S Reliability Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
'08 Type-S Reliability Questions...

I'm actively seeking an 08 TL Type-S 6MT in White, preferably certified used.

Any common problems with this vehicle? Anything to look out for?

...Anyone know one for sale? They're not exactly easy to find with manual transmissions.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yea sure, at about 60,000miles i had to replace my motor mounts. One of my front shock absorbers was blown, i replaced all. And also my driver shafts click when its really cold outside. But overall the motor and tranny seem to be bullet proof.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
^ Drive shaft click seems to be common in a lot of the 6MT's, Type-S or not. I've had it for some time and it tends to come and go.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Pro

Are the autos reliable? I'm fairly convinced I don't want one, but they sure are easier to find and tend to be substantially cheaper.

I'm simply assuming these TL's are still plagued by Honda AT issues. If they're somehow super reliable, I'd be interested if the price was right.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:26 AM
MV612

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Honda AT issues
I have own tons of acura ranging from the early Vigor to the RSX and now the TL-S . I never have any AT issues as longs as you take care of them.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Azndjay
I have own tons of acura ranging from the early Vigor to the RSX and now the TL-S . I never have any AT issues as longs as you take care of them.
http://www.carcomplaints.com/worst_complaints/

Take a peek at the common complaints on some model year Hondas. The 08 TL is a bit on the new side to have substantial reliability information on.

I might be a little biased, since I currently own a 02 Accord V6 with the infamous B7XA transmission. It's horribly designed, and tends to be extremely unreliable. I've been doing drain and fills on it every 5-10K since I purchased it at 32K. It's been slowly shifting worse and worse over the years. It's almost undriveable when cold, and bounces off rev limiter between shifts. It's extremely common for these to entirely fail around 60K, mine has 81. Honda makes mediocre autos.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Its going to be very difficult to find a manual 08 Type-S. But if your willing to Fly across the country, and are willing to spend in some cases $28,000, then I guess you will get one. Plus patience. I have owned 2 Auto TL's-Type-S and one manual TL. Never had a problem with the autos. My clutch went out on my 06 Acura Certified at about 35k miles, pissed me off. I was not beating it. Drove it hard, and have had Many manual cars since 1979-My first car. I am also going to buy either an 07 or 08 WDP Type-S in 3 months, I prefer ebony/silver leather, and I am pretty sure I am going for the auto. Last 3 cars were manuals, and I tend to race around too much with a stick.

CARS.COM. Do an Advanced search. miles-All. Acura TL. Cost-$30K max. Years 07-08. Color-White. Trans-Manual

God Bless You Brother

You have great taste

Last edited by JD TL-S; 03-29-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Safety Car

On CARS.COM I didnt find 1 WDP Type-S manual Certified in all of the USA.

On CARS.COM I didnt find 1 Certified manual Type-S in any color.

On CARS.COM I did find 6 manual Type-S. None Certified. Mostly Black, a few silver, red, grey.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:23 PM
MV612

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK
http://www.carcomplaints.com/worst_complaints/

Take a peek at the common complaints on some model year Hondas. The 08 TL is a bit on the new side to have substantial reliability information on.

I might be a little biased, since I currently own a 02 Accord V6 with the infamous B7XA transmission. It's horribly designed, and tends to be extremely unreliable. I've been doing drain and fills on it every 5-10K since I purchased it at 32K. It's been slowly shifting worse and worse over the years. It's almost undriveable when cold, and bounces off rev limiter between shifts. It's extremely common for these to entirely fail around 60K, mine has 81. Honda makes mediocre autos.
'

Mediocre?? i would think they take a beating and keeps on ticking

every car has its flaw , but if you take care of it and it will last you years... your reading too much in to things..
Old 03-29-2012, 12:30 PM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
A well taken care of Honda will last you a longgggggg time. The days of their tranny issues have long passed. In particular, the 07-08 type-s models received beefed up trannys and I actually can't think of 1 instance where someone has complained of tranny problems with them other than the easy to do 3rd/4th gear pressure switches. You shouldn't have any issues.

Perform a forum search and see how many threads/topics there are about 07/08 type-s tranny failures. I haven't done so myself, but I would bet that they are few and far between.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Safety Car

08 WDP Certified Automatic with 39k miles in New Jersey-$28,800.

08 WDP Certified Automatic with 69k miles in California-$25,000
Old 03-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Drifting

Yeah, it seems Honda has stepped it up on their autos in the last few years. But I'd be far from taking it for granted that they've got all their crap together. If you buy one just make sure you maintain it to a T. Look on here for the 3x3 flush method and never do a 'powerflush' at one of those transmission shops. There's also a few brands of auto tranny fluid that I've heard of on here that are good. I believe Redline is one them. I've got an MT6 so I 'm not up to speed on it. Just do your homework on it so you know how to take care of it and you should be fine.

But if you want a Type-S MT6 you should just wait it out. It's all preference, but when I purchased mine (Just MT6, not Type-S, I'm not that baller) there were certain preferences I was willing to comprimise on. For me it was: Nav and Color. The Nav looks to me like it was designed by Atari. My phone has better resolution. And I didn't want black or white but was good with anything in between. Even condition was negotiable. I could fix a few things here and there if they needed it. But the manual was critical. Theres's lots of people on AZ who feel the same way about the nav and paint color, that end up regret not getting the nav or color they wanted. So like I said, it's all about preference and what's important to you. But whatever your preference, don't comprimise on things that are important. The right one will come along.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm actively seeking an 08 TL Type-S 6MT in White, preferably certified used.

Any common problems with this vehicle? Anything to look out for?

...Anyone know one for sale? They're not exactly easy to find with manual transmissions.
Get it and you won't regret it. I shoulda bought a manual and now I'm regretting it it all the way. But I love what I have though. Every car is always gonna have there issues. Had a few on mine and fixed them myself thanx to this great forum and people on here and the DYI's
Old 03-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
I've owned 2 3rd 6MT TL's.

1. '04 NBP 6MT TL.
2. Current: '08 CBP 6MT TL-S.

I've had zero problems with both of them. The first one I drove until it from 70k-105k miles on it, then traded it in for my TL-S. Zero issues with either transmissions. They are both still on their original transmission, clutch, flywheel, etc......

As they stated above, if you take care of it, it will take care of you. You wont regret it, :-D.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Level: Noob

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Azndjay
Excuse me sir, 97-99 Acura CL would like a word with you.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Pro

I'm not worried about the 6MT giving me issues. Even clutch issues can often be easily resolved. The main issue I have with AT's is when they go bad, they're done. Rebuilds generally don't end well, and Honda replacements are extremely expensive. You're left with swapping in a used junkyard one, in unknown condition.

Honda makes good manuals. Clutch issues, to me, are minor. I'm convinced that autos are not for me. Just about every vehicle with an Auto in it, I hate how it shifts. The only thing I dislike about manuals is the additional work, difficulty to drive very slow, and minor uncertainty added to evasive maneuvers.

I'm in no rush to find one right away. I'm willing to wait a few months if need be. I might be keeping the car a very long time if I like it, so I'm not compromising like I have in the past. The only reason why I would want a certified used, is to know it will likely have no immediate issues, or they will be likely resolved properly. It's always going to be uncertain if a private party vehicle has existing issues. Unlikely given the age and miles, but of course its possible.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
Originally Posted by JD TL-S
Its going to be very difficult to find a manual 08 Type-S. But if your willing to Fly across the country, and are willing to spend in some cases $28,000, then I guess you will get one. Plus patience. I have owned 2 Auto TL's-Type-S and one manual TL. Never had a problem with the autos. My clutch went out on my 06 Acura Certified at about 35k miles, pissed me off. I was not beating it. Drove it hard, and have had Many manual cars since 1979-My first car. I am also going to buy either an 07 or 08 WDP Type-S in 3 months, I prefer ebony/silver leather, and I am pretty sure I am going for the auto. Last 3 cars were manuals, and I tend to race around too much with a stick.

CARS.COM. Do an Advanced search. miles-All. Acura TL. Cost-$30K max. Years 07-08. Color-White. Trans-Manual

God Bless You Brother

You have great taste
On CARS.COM I didnt find 1 WDP Type-S manual Certified in all of the USA.

On CARS.COM I didnt find 1 Certified manual Type-S in any color.

On CARS.COM I did find 6 manual Type-S. None Certified. Mostly Black, a few silver, red, grey.
08 WDP Certified Automatic with 39k miles in New Jersey-$28,800.

08 WDP Certified Automatic with 69k miles in California-$25,000

Dam, someone did their homework,

I'm not worried about the 6MT giving me issues. Even clutch issues can often be easily resolved. The main issue I have with AT's is when they go bad, they're done. Rebuilds generally don't end well, and Honda replacements are extremely expensive. You're left with swapping in a used junkyard one, in unknown condition.

Honda makes good manuals. Clutch issues, to me, are minor. I'm convinced that autos are not for me. Just about every vehicle with an Auto in it, I hate how it shifts. The only thing I dislike about manuals is the additional work, difficulty to drive very slow, and minor uncertainty added to evasive maneuvers.

I'm in no rush to find one right away. I'm willing to wait a few months if need be. I might be keeping the car a very long time if I like it, so I'm not compromising like I have in the past. The only reason why I would want a certified used, is to know it will likely have no immediate issues, or they will be likely resolved properly. It's always going to be uncertain if a private party vehicle has existing issues. Unlikely given the age and miles, but of course its possible.
many people here who own a 3g TL especially the Type S is barely has issue with AT. Endless/Acura, JHH and a few more member who has more than 120k miles on the clock with no AT issue. I understand why you want a CPO because the 1 year/12k miles bumper to bumper warranty and powertrain extended to 100k miles, but with that you will have to pay alittle extra. My question is why you don't trying to buy from a owner who bought the car CPO? the warranty will still able to transfer to you at no extra cost. When I bought my Type S from Honda dealer the Acura sale rep called me and asked if I want it to be Acura certified, I asked him how much does it gona cost extra? he told me the new price would be $24,000 vs $21,500 original advertise price at Honda dealer. I later found out that the previous owner bought the car as CPO so there is no need to get it certified by Acura.
The following 2 users liked this post by truonghthe:
catapult (04-22-2012), JD TL-S (03-30-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 09:03 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
OP FYI...you're looking for a unicorn.

6MT in any TL is damn near hard to find. and then find one that is is good condition.

even during the 04-06 base models yrs guesstimates based on the 1 in 40 were MT....less than 2000 were sold in each model yr. add the type s....1 in 10 during the 07-08 model yrs...nevermind 6MT. who knows how many ended up in the junkyard totaled, but a 6 MT is a rare bird....make it a type s and it's almost mythical. good luck in your search...it might be a long one.

my 05 has been fairly bulletproof. immaculate 6MT and only 56k mi!! no you can't have it.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Pro

Finding an 06-08 TL-S in 6MT isn't impossible. I stumbled on 3 very good condition 07 Type-S 6MT's, 1 was certified, none were white, all 40K or less.

The only example of the 08 6MT Type-S I found in a few weeks is in California and its not certified, and overpriced. The main reason why I want certified is so I can more or less buy a car hundreds or thousands of miles away without worry. I have no problem with private party if its a few thousand cheaper and in mint condition.

Finding one local is probably impossible. Not a big deal there, i'd like to buy something that isn't already starting to rust from the few years of salted roads.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Pro

I should probably note that I never even was within a few feet of a TL-S. I did see a few on the road, probably all autos, never really up close.

I didn't even drive, or sit in a TL until Monday. The local Acura dealer has an 07 TL Base 6MT W/Nav in black thats been on a lot a while. They just lowered it to 20K, and would have taken about $17,5 without a warranty. Surprisingly enough, it was more than I expected. I did notice the exhaust was fairly loud, and it had surprisingly sufficient low end torque. I'd assume it was 100% stock. If it was the interior and exterior color combo I wanted, I would have walked away with it.

Whats different on a 08 TL-S than the 07 TL Nav I drove? I mainly want the S for the tinted lights and wheels. I think its lower and has a bit stiffer suspension as well, which is a plus for me. I want a car I can keep 100% stock and be happy with.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Type S 6MT WDP = overpay + travel. so get used to it.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:18 PM
JJH
Drifting

On the exterior - type-s Rims, tail lights, fog lights, rear lip.

Engine - 3.5L vs 3.2L (~30hp difference. partially negated if you account for powertrain loss since you are looking at a 6MT. base 6MT will be just as fast if not faster than a 5AT 3.5 type-s. 6MT type-S,...that's another story). type-s also has sport tuned suspension

interior - red LED dash lighting, Type-s embroidered leather seats, steel pedals, few other things.

It depends what you want out of the car. If you plan on keeping it stock with no modifications, either model will work just fine. If you enjoy the adrenaline rush of ripping through the gears of a 3.5 6MT 286hp engine, go with the type-S. I would say that reading the driving style of the previous owner becomes very important here as clutch longevity is impacted on the proper clutch usage.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Redbirds11
Type S 6MT WDP = overpay + travel. so get used to it.
lol, that is so true
Old 03-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Drifting

Wait, 07 TL Base 6MT? I didn't think the 07-08 base came in a 6MT. Didn't only type-S's come with a manual for 07-08?
Old 03-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
Wait, 07 TL Base 6MT? I didn't think the 07-08 base came in a 6MT. Didn't only type-S's come with a manual for 07-08?
Yup...the 07-08 base was available with 6MT...
Old 03-30-2012, 10:48 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by ZLTFUL
Yup...the 07-08 base was available with 6MT...
6MT were only available on the 07-08 type s models, NOT base models.

for 04-06 base (since no type s) 6MT were available.

per Edmund's:

What's New for 2007

After a three-year absence, the performance-oriented "Type-S" trim level returns. It features a 286-horsepower, 3.5-liter version of Acura's SOHC 32-valve VTEC-equipped V6, a sport-tuned suspension and Brembo high-performance front and rear disc brakes. The Type-S also gets a unique front fascia, quad tailpipes, specific 17-inch wheels and paddle shifters for the five-speed automatic transmission when that option is ordered. The regular TL continues forward with freshened exterior styling and a revised center stack and instrument panel. However the six-speed manual transmission and Brembo brakes are now restricted solely to the Type-S model.
The following users liked this post:
ZLTFUL (03-30-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
6MT were only available on the 07-08 type s models, NOT base models.

for 04-06 base (since no type s) 6MT were available.

per Edmund's:

What's New for 2007

After a three-year absence, the performance-oriented "Type-S" trim level returns. It features a 286-horsepower, 3.5-liter version of Acura's SOHC 32-valve VTEC-equipped V6, a sport-tuned suspension and Brembo high-performance front and rear disc brakes. The Type-S also gets a unique front fascia, quad tailpipes, specific 17-inch wheels and paddle shifters for the five-speed automatic transmission when that option is ordered. The regular TL continues forward with freshened exterior styling and a revised center stack and instrument panel. However the six-speed manual transmission and Brembo brakes are now restricted solely to the Type-S model.
My mistake. Thanks for correcting me.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Pro

...It's probably way easier to sell the 5AT, correct?

All of the manual TL's I found were generally on the market a while. Possible due in part to the generally increased price over the autos, part due to demand. I might end up selling it in a year or two if the Tesla Model S lives up to my expectations. It would be in my best interest to find one I can sell at minimal loss.

I'm not dead set on it being 6MT, I just don't generally like most every auto. If it has a powertrain warranty, it might be OK if I can get one much cheaper than the 6MT version. The main initial appeal was the stiffer suspension and Brembo brakes on the 6MT base over the 5AT base. I'm fairly sure I only want the Type-S, so AT might be 'good enough' if the price is more reasonable. Plus, its way easier, and I don't have to worry about other people driving it.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:02 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

only certain folks will want a MT. hence acura only sold a VERY small volume of them. also one of the reasons why the 6MT was not offered on the base model 07-08. no demand. i think we have figured out by now that in general Americans are lazy and there is a small demand in MT in general in this country. some may also defer to an AT b/c of traffic in metro areas that people must drive in on a daily basis.

so in short, an AT will most likely be easier to sell, while a true enthusiast will most likely want a 6MT. i know my dealer had an 06 6 MT base model they sold it in about 2-3 weeks. i've seen an AT 05 base sit on their lot for over a month. when a type-s pops up on their lot it may sit there....1-2 weeks at most (last time there were 2, both AT). there is a demand for 6MT...just depends on where you live.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:46 PM
JJH
Drifting

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
only certain folks will want a MT. hence acura only sold a VERY small volume of them. also one of the reasons why the 6MT was not offered on the base model 07-08. no demand. i think we have figured out by now that in general Americans are lazy and there is a small demand in MT in general in this country. some may also defer to an AT b/c of traffic in metro areas that people must drive in on a daily basis.

so in short, an AT will most likely be easier to sell, while a true enthusiast will most likely want a 6MT. i know my dealer had an 06 6 MT base model they sold it in about 2-3 weeks. i've seen an AT 05 base sit on their lot for over a month. when a type-s pops up on their lot it may sit there....1-2 weeks at most (last time there were 2, both AT). there is a demand for 6MT...just depends on where you live.
To add to what you just said:

People that are on the look out for the type-S right now ARE type-S enthusiasts. 95% of the people that are looking for a type-S 4-5 years after the cars production will take a 6MT over a 5AT any day. This car is at a different point in its life then it was when it first came out new. "Average Joes", if you will, don't think that the type-S is anything special other than just "a nice car". Anyone still "looking for" a type-S is undoubtedly an enthusiast and would take a 6MT for the fun factor.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:54 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^agreed. only thing ...masses vs a small group of enthusiasts. still a lot more regular joes than enthusiasts. comes down to location...large metro areas...most likely have more enthusiasts and a market for MT. smaller markets...harder to find or sell MT.

the upside you hope the enthusiast will take care of the car since there are those that may beat on her and sell it...then you have others like myself...baby the hell out of it and open her up from time to time for a little bit of ear to ear grinning.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:08 PM
07 tl-s in

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrtastygoody
Excuse me sir, 97-99 Acura CL would like a word with you.
my last car was a auto 3.0 cl, tranny blew at around 150k... but they looked so good. Had an auto teggy that gave me no issues besides thieves. My 07 auto type-s now has about 60k(bought new) and besides EGR and that damn gas cap emmissions code I have NO complaints or problems. I'm keeping this car until the wheels fall off.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:19 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a 07 type s in wdp... great car my 4th acura and 2nd tl drives a whole lot better then base tl handling wise and power... no problems or issues yet, wish i got better gas mileage though, but not too bad, worth the extra power.... so much potential and mods available if u r into certain fixes...
Old 03-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Suzuka Master

James got rid of his two TL-S within a few weeks. I think the market demand TL-S is already high but with MT is even more challenge to find.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:59 PM
Pro

I want every part on it to be stock, and never modified.

I would never purchase a vehicle thats had an aftermarket intake, exhaust, or even shift knob.

I'm basically looking for a new 08 TL-S. Since I cant go to the Acura dealer and buy one, I need to look certified used.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:03 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

I want every part on it to be stock, and never modified.

I would never purchase a vehicle thats had an aftermarket intake, exhaust, or even shift knob.

I'm basically looking for a new 08 TL-S. Since I cant go to the Acura dealer and buy one, I need to look certified used.
good luck...many of them have been put back into stock form so you'd probably never know the car was modded unless you're really looking for the "clean, newer look" of the stock parts that could be in question.

you need to find a provate seller, who's older that would not fit the modding type (no tint might be one clue), stock tires perhaps (may imply it's been dealer serviced it's whole life or the owner didn't really care for aftermarket but wanted the same tires).

have you tried to touch base with an acura dealer to see if they could find your unicorn either through trade ins or auctions and then have them certify it? always worth a whirl. dealers have a few more resources than the public doesn't.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:29 AM
Pro

Most of the time, bolts are missing, or visibly damaged after something like an intake is removed and reinstalled.

Tint is an obvious no-go. I don't want tint, and I don't want to remove tint.

Ideally, I'm looking for a single owner, dealer maintained, flawless vehicle. I understand my expectations are high, but I don't NEED a car right now. I expect to be looking a few months, maybe longer.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:12 PM
'07 TL Type-S

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
I definitely think if you don't need one right now you should wait until you find one that has everything you're looking for. Because like others said, you are looking for a unicorn. But chances are once you find one that meets all of those expectations, you will be paying top dollar for it. It will definitely be worth it though.

Good luck.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:18 PM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
look out for cosmetic damage, dont buy the TL is its scratched cuz WDP is impossible to color match perfectly since its a pearl white.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:39 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
As an owner of an 08 WDP 6mt ebony/silver TL-S, I can tell you without a doubt that this must be the most rare combination acura manufactured.
As others have stated, be prepared to travel to get the car you want. Also, if you are getting CPO, be ABSOLUTELY certain that the car will pass your state inspection before you take it home, because Acura WILL make you take it back to the dealer who sold you the car to correct any issues it may have. Don't ask me how I know this...

Quick Reply: '08 Type-S Reliability Questions...