Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 type S performance..

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 07:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by sensualscorpion15
the tl is and always will be just a "PLAIN JANE"..................in comparison to a sleek,sexy,powerful...type-s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Give me a break. Anyone not familiar with the Acura would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

While most Acura people would be hard pressed to tell the difference from 30ft away if they could not see the overdone mini fart can exhaust tips.

Always thought it funny seeing the S Type with bigger exhaust stacks then a 505HP Vette.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Your garage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So many Type-S owners scoff at the base TL, yet forget that my '04 6MT will hang with your 5AT Type-S all day. Don't forget my front brakes are Brembos, too...and my car weighs less than yours.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
say what you want,think what you want............i did say that the tl is a very nice looking car................all i said was that it is a plain jane compared to all that the type-s has as far as options and toys...................it is 30 hp faster,and has a much better ride and handles better...............the inside in my opinion is also alot sharper and better looking than the base tl.......................dont be offended buddy,im not dissin the base tls,just saying like everyone one else on here that has ever driven both cars,that the type-s is a better choice and much more of a "CAR" than the base tl.......................and yes looking at them and seeing them in the street everyday,other than the colors being different,they all look the same to me.........when i see a type-s go by i always turn my head and say how nice they are!!!!!........................and also people are always saying how nice my ride is......its not a competition i was just stating a fact and what is my opinion............to each is own................
Old 07-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Racer

Cool hey!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Give me a break. Anyone not familiar with the Acura would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

While most Acura people would be hard pressed to tell the difference from 30ft away if they could not see the overdone mini fart can exhaust tips.

Always thought it funny seeing the S Type with bigger exhaust stacks then a 505HP Vette.
i love my car and always will....................when i got a tl loaner a couple of weeks ago it was slow and just so plain inside.............enjoy your tl while i ride in style and whizzzzz by you!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
i love my car and always will....................when i got a tl loaner a couple of weeks ago it was slow and just so plain inside.............enjoy your tl while i ride in style and whizzzzz by you!!!!!!
The TL-S is slow by most measures of performance. I bought mine for the styling, especially the interior, Honda reliability, luxury, and it's "peppy". Far from fast but better than some. Performance, especially power was the last thing on my mind when buying this car or I would've gotten an 03-4 Cobra, GTO, used Vette, and the list goes on. I love the TL for what it offers and I don't think anything else compares for the price. I admit the TL-S is "better" by most measures (except I truly don't like the interior and rims) but to say there's a huge difference is insane.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
this is starting to get out of hand. This is not a pissing contest. Both cars are the same and both cars are difference, the end. If you have some intelligent thought on the subject, go ahead and post it, but if you have stupid remarks that will cause arguements, do us all a favor and don't post them.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Your garage

I'm not denying that the TL-S is quicker and handles better.
However, if I were to do it again, I'd still take my 04 6MT over a TL-S.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:08 PM
07 WDP TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LMAO powerwise is minamal everyone who saying it is a huge diffrent is crazy i walk all over tl-s all day or maybe because my car is moded and did weight reduction
Old 07-28-2008, 12:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by sharp218
I'm not denying that the TL-S is quicker and handles better.
However, if I were to do it again, I'd still take my 04 6MT over a TL-S.
Me, too. I'll keep my '06 6MT. I've said it more than once. I don't like Type-S wheels. I don't like the red guages. I don't like two tone seats. I don't like quad exhaust. As far as the power goes, I'm ~250 whp with full bolt ons and as far as handling, well......I've got all I need for the street. I'm not much into carving canyons in a FWD entry level lux sedan. To each his own I guess.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:52 AM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
I love the entra torque and horsepower. Who doesn't? I love the two tone seats. I love the quad exhaust and note. I love the smoked sidemarkers and headlight. I love the active noise cancellation. I love the standard Navi system ($2k alone). I love the type S stitching. I love the sporty suspension and tight handling. I love the 3 spoke steering wheel. I love the interior accents. I love the more aggressive exterior styling. I love the trunk lid. I didn't know how I would like the red interior lights, but I love it now. I didn't like the wheels, but it was the easiest thing to change out. I love the sportier taillights. I've seen many non-type S changing their taillights out.

And yes, I've driven both cars.

Whatever floats your boat...
Old 07-28-2008, 04:10 AM
Racer

yes to end this discussion,it is not a contest.everyone has their own opinions..............some like the differences between a tl and a type-s and some dont!!!!............it is whatever floats your boat like the man says!!!!..............me personally i love my 08 type-s and if i had to do it all over again id buy the same car..................i love everything about it and think that acura did a great job with the 07 and 08 type-s...........i have done some stuff to my car but if i would have left it alone the 286hp and all the extras would have been sufficient for me!!!!.................so not to take this any further,like i said enjoy your "TL" and ill enjoy my"TL-S" as im whipping down the highway and checkin you in my rear view mirror...............smoked again!!!!!...................have a nice day................
Old 07-28-2008, 04:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
It all depends on what the OP is looking for in his/her car. Maybe I am just and old fart but going 0-60 in 5 secs vs 6-7 secs is not important anymore. I bought htis car because I was looking for economy, ride and style. TL-S's look damn good, TL-Bs look damn good too

If I wanted HP, the new Challenger SRT has all that and more
Old 07-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
I'll probably will get flamed for this, but as the younger crowd join the 3G forums, this is where the pissing contest begins..

Like a dumbass comment above about a 17yr kid walking all over a TL-S... dude, I'll out drive you in a Toyota Prius. Speed doesn't make good drivers.

TL-S vs TL-P, same FAMILY sedan... (Yes, believe it or not it is not a FWD sports car)

TL-S, includes upgrades that any TL-P owner can implement. Every car can be outfitted with the same equipment.... the only thing that will remain unchanged is the TL-S 3.5 engine...a natural hp source.

Exterior and Interior, aggressive vs subtle, both cars scream luxury, and demand attention.

NONE OF US, is either right or wrong. We've made a choice. That's it. Enjoy the car, be safe, and stop posting in threads if you have nothing knowledgeable to say. Help each other, don't discourage one another. And please stop f8kin comparing other cars to a TL...there is a dime a dozen of cars who will eat a TL without even trying...again...think, a family sedan.

My 2 cents.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:39 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought my TL-S because I negotiated a good deal on it. It was only like 2 grand more than comparable TLPs without nav. I figured financing a few grand more was worth it for the nav, bigger brakes, bigger engine,better suspension and subtle cosmetic features.

I would not classify the TL-S as a performance car, but I dont think that's whats in question. I was planning on picking up a C6 instead of this car in a year or so, but an accident left me needing something to drive. I dont regret it, I love the TL-S more every time I drive it and I enjoy how the subtle differences set it apart from the million other standard TLs I see out there.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Suzuka Master

and ill enjoy my"TL-S" as im whipping down the highway and checkin you in my rear view mirror...............smoked again!!!!!...................have a nice day................
Two quick points,

Point 1 - If you have a 5AT you are slower in both 0-60, 1/4 mile then an 06 6MT. You are also 20mph slower in top speed. If you have a 6MT its up to the driver as the excess weight of the S, the 1/2gear power reduction & the clutch release delay valve offsets the small increase in engine size of 18 cubic inches.

Point 2 - That being said my TL 6SPD is OK for picking up the grandkids from school & so forth but if I want to go fast I generally would run one of the weekend cars or the bike.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:06 AM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
^^Looks like a thread jack of pictures. The first three pictures look like they were taken back in the 70's or 80's. Not sure what that has to do with the difference of the two TL's as talked about here.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Race Director

^
Hmm, I seem to lag, I replied the same way to BearAvhistory.... Posting of same pix in every other thread is getting boring

Back to ACURA.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Your garage

Point is, an 04-06' 6MT will hang with, and probably eat, a 5AT Type-S. The 6MT Type-S isn't all that much quicker, either. And I still prefer the looks of my Base TL to a Type-S.

P.S. 'sensualscorpion15', I physically cannot read your posts anymore. Please use better punctuation and sentence structure.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:26 AM
200,000 mile club

^^You are persistent about your points aren't you? I think we all heard you the first time. I also have a 6mt and the car is great. The type-s is a great tl coming from the dealer. As we all know on this site, we make our cars the way we want them. A Type-S is much better to start with before mods than a standard tl....No matter what year or transmission it has.

Please end your repetitive statements as eveyone on here knows how to read.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:27 AM
Race Director

^(sharp218) some people are really thickheaded....

A Supra will eat, a TL will take a little tiny bite... we are talking drivers here, and again it is a freaken family sedan.

Stop turning every effen thread into a racing match. I think I'm done this forum for today.

whether you 17 or 66, get a clue already.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:47 AM
200,000 mile club

Tecknoking, no need to edit your post as I knew who you were talking about. lol
Old 07-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Please stop posting these useless pictures around here. Nobody really cares how much fuel your boat takes or what 70's airplane you fly. I'm happy that you own all that stuff. For the record the TL-S is my main car, and I take pride in owning and caring for it. I do own a Honda Accord too but can't afford a big boat like you. And how do you know the TL is the 3rd or 4th car for most people? You may have extra 100k to throw around for a nice boat but not everyone has that extra disposable income sitting around.

Stop showing us your e-cawk on da interwebby, pal!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:58 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Ibtl
Old 07-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Your garage

So many people have their points over and over again about how I'm going to get left in the dust, or in your rear view mirrior, yet I get flamed for defending myself?
This thread is ridiculous.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Laker fan

wow, this thread went to crap pretty fast!

Its obvious that if you own a base TL that you will say that it is better/faster than a Type S... and vice versa for type S owners. Who really gives a sh*t. Enjoy your TL/TL-S and stop racing on public roads.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Advanced

... judging from other threads, its simply an attempt to show how much money he think he has. I am willing to bet that nothing in those pictures goes faster than a 12.5 in the 1/4 with him behind the wheel.

I dont know why everyone is so insistent that the TL is fast car.

I love my TL-S. But it is by no means a GREAT handling car. Does it ride well yes... Is it QUICK for a nice luxury daily driver. It will never put you back in your seat. Even at 400Hp, in a 3000+ lbs car still wont be "fast"

But then again, I am coming from my RSX which moved out (never tracked), an R1 and a shit load of modded 9 sec evos.

Sorry to break the news to you guys, its a 35K Acura. ... Not a racecar.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by acuraman211
wow, this thread went to crap pretty fast!

Its obvious that if you own a base TL that you will say that it is better/faster than a Type S... and vice versa for type S owners. Who really gives a sh*t. Enjoy your TL/TL-S and stop racing on public roads.

Same discussion takes place on every forum where there are different trim levels of cars that offer different engine models. I am sure on the BMW forums the 328 and 330 members try and defend themselves to against the 335 and M3's.

Its a matter of choice. Speed isn't the deciding factor for some people, and honestly its kind of a waste. I live in Downtown fort lauderdale, where if I floor it, I might hit 60mph by the next red light. Other times, if you live in country, you get to 75 mph, then what, are you going to stop for nothing just to accelerate again. Its all the same once your moving.

I didnt get the type for the engine of the power, simply put, It was a great deal, and with all the other added standard features seemed to be a good value to "ME" to justify the difference in cost.

On my list in order why I like the type-s:
More aggressive body lines.
I love the rear end.
The wheels (which I hated at first)
The navi
lastly the engine
Old 07-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Lighten up guys.

Its just amusing sticking in some needles for the reaction you get from the "you only have a TL while I have a type S - so my shit don't stink" people; which seem way to common in any Type S based thread.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Advanced

Being in sales as a profession, I know what makes a sale and here it is. A sale is never made based on price, performance, features, or options. A sale is 99% of the time based on VALUE. So to each member here, the Type-s had an Added value which they felt worth the extra investment.

Some people do Value the extra hp, different lights and body line. Some do. Some people might have valued acura's reputation for reliability, so it wasnt the TL they were buying, it was the dependability. Some may Value the driving experience, which is why they purchase BMW (which I will admit, they are not the pretties cars, but they do drive well...when they drive)

So it comes down to value. And what I value, i cant expect other to value. Personally, I am 23, live in a condo with no personal garage to play around in, I have a parking garage. So I value having a car I know will run everyday, not give me any problems, the warranty of knowing that if something does go wrong I am covered.

I loved my RSX, but it wasn't always reliable. At 500Hp things that shouldn't break just break without warning. it was pointless for me to have a 500hp RSX when I was afraid to use the power cuz I didnt know how much its was going to cost me this time when I go from 20mph to 140mph in the blink of an eye.

I value performance, reliability and service. To me acura (my personal dealer) offered me all these things. I have several friends that work on the sales and service side at my particular dealership, which allows me some more flexibility then most place where I would not have not had established any relationships.

So lets take this conversation where it should really go and ask, "What did you value on your TL that helped you reach your final decision.

If every TL-s owner valued speed I am sure you must be very disappointed with your purchase and regret sending every payment.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Hahaha, I love this stuff. I tried fighting this battle in the other thread on Friday.

I'll say this. If your buying NEW and have to have NAVI, then sure, type-s is a deal. If buying used, then this stuff is debatable. Personal preference is really what it comes down to.

You can find aspec bases with 40k miles for $22k....
Old 07-28-2008, 11:37 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Originally Posted by Boosted_Brian
Being in sales as a profession, I know what makes a sale and here it is. A sale is never made based on price, performance, features, or options. A sale is 99% of the time based on VALUE. So to each member here, the Type-s had an Added value which they felt worth the extra investment.
A little off topic but I laughed when I read this. I'm in professional sales too and while every job I've been involved in has taught value selling, IMO it depends on what market you're in as to what people are valuing

I can tell you right now that the market I'm in and with the way the economy is, unless the customer has been severely underserved by the incumbent we're looking at price being the most important thing 9 times out of 10.

Sorry, just a quick bit of humor between salespeople
Old 07-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To the OP: now you know which car fits your lifestyle, need, and want from all the cooments that we posted (made us screamed at each other). Just test drive both, pay close attention to all the amenities offered by both cars, consider our experiences and comments, and decide for yourself from there. Both cars will give you satisfaction for years to come. Peace.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by platinum1
To the OP: now you know which car fits your lifestyle, need, and want from all the cooments that we posted (made us screamed at each other). Just test drive both, pay close attention to all the amenities offered by both cars, consider our experiences and comments, and decide for yourself from there. Both cars will give you satisfaction for years to come. Peace.
Well Said, neighbor!
Old 07-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
And now that everyone has had their say, we're not getting anything new.

We mods have tried to be tolerant because of the interest level. But this thread is starting to devolve into personal attacks and experience tells us that's a one-way road to an eventual flame war.

So, thanks for coming by. See you again real soon.

And at that time: