3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 TL Type S AT vs TL A-spec MT

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope other readers here aren't taking this too seriously. We were having some good entertainment. Gave me lots of laugh. Hope the other readers had the same.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I'm sitting at the computer with the flu and popping vicotin for the body aches. I honestly have nothing better to do right now.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:30 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
MT, the 14.2@99mph you mentioned was done by Jeff at TOV. Car and Driver got 14.3@99mph for the A-spec, and 14.4@99mph for the normal 6MT model with all-season tires.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:18 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Manual Transmission
Hope other readers here aren't taking this too seriously. We were having some good entertainment. Gave me lots of laugh. Hope the other readers had the same.

I Hate Cars 1, Manual Transmission 0 in extra innings lol. Hey Manual, why do you always talk down on the Type-S Auto's? I think a fully modded should run high/mid 13's. And I thought the Is350 was more of a mid 13' in stock form.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by iforyou
MT, the 14.2@99mph you mentioned was done by Jeff at TOV. Car and Driver got 14.3@99mph for the A-spec, and 14.4@99mph for the normal 6MT model with all-season tires.
Thank you. That is it. iforyou, you are so good at retrieving/tracking down info. Much appreciated.

To others, as ya can see the 99mph can be had on regular trim TL 6MT cars, like mentioned many many times before. Just because some dude couldn't get 99mph on ONE TL 6MT doesn't mean others can't do it.

Originally Posted by Danielsc400
I Hate Cars 1, Manual Transmission 0 in extra innings lol. Hey Manual, why do you always talk down on the Type-S Auto's? I think a fully modded should run high/mid 13's. And I thought the Is350 was more of a mid 13' in stock form.
I wasn't in the mood for trying to win the childrens flame fest last night. What do I get if I win this guy? An internet trophy? Didn't ya see this guy cussing and callin' me names?

As for the Type-S Auto's they can't get mid/high 13's unless severely modded with Nitrous maybe. The stock Type-S will see mid/upper 14's at the quarter mile. It will require a lot of modification, including some serious weight reduction as well. The reason why I say the Auto tranny's are slow is due to the long gear ratios. They are way too tall for the power it's delivering. Go get the Acura brochure and it will tell you under the specification section. I have also personally driven Auto tranny TL and know how slow it is.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:30 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock Type S autos are good for lower to mid 14's. Forum member Bearcat94 managed a 14.34@97.12 he did prep his car by removing all the BS extra weight in the car (Spare tire, jack, trunk mat, floor mats, etc.....). I took mine to the track early this month, friend of mine had a rental and I only could stick around for a couple of hours so I didnt bother bringing the vette..... decided to run the TL down a few times. It ran 14.54@97.23 with over 1/2 tank of fuel, heavy subwoofer box, my work bag/brief case, all weather mats etc.... Im sure if I would have gotten 100+ pounds of weight out of the car (which easily can be done with less fuel and taking out the extra crap in the car) I could have easily got close to a high 14.3x to low 14.4x and likely closer to 98MPH.

Im very curious to see one of these members who have added all the bolt ons (pre cats deletes, J-pipe/race pipe, cat back, CAI and Pulley)..... these guys are making anywhere from 270-290 wheel horsepower, that is easily gonna be good for mid-upper 13's at 102-103 MPH
Old 11-21-2008, 08:56 AM
Instructor

Thank you. That is it. iforyou, you are so good at retrieving/tracking down info. Much appreciated.

To others, as ya can see the 99mph can be had on regular trim TL 6MT cars, like mentioned many many times before. Just because some dude couldn't get 99mph on ONE TL 6MT doesn't mean others can't do it.

I wasn't in the mood for trying to win the childrens flame fest last night. What do I get if I win this guy? An internet trophy? Didn't ya see this guy cussing and callin' me names?

As for the Type-S Auto's they can't get mid/high 13's unless severely modded with Nitrous maybe. The stock Type-S will see mid/upper 14's at the quarter mile. It will require a lot of modification, including some serious weight reduction as well. The reason why I say the Auto tranny's are slow is due to the long gear ratios. They are way too tall for the power it's delivering. Go get the Acura brochure and it will tell you under the specification section. I have also personally driven Auto tranny TL and know how slow it is.
Manual, I love the sarcasm but mid/high 14's is more like the 2nd gen TL-S stock which puts down 190-200 to the wheels. If bearcat can pull a 14.3 stock then I know a fully modded one putting down 270+ to the wheels has to break the 13's..
Old 11-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Says the guy that never ran a 1/4 mile. Go back to your magazine racing NOOB
Old 11-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Team Owner

You lost an argument which is fine. But then you act like it was all a joke and even go so far as to pretend like you were agreeing the whole time once you realized you were wrong. This shows lack of character.

I've ignored your sarcasm and "cute" little comments for a long time but the first time you get called out you come up short. The sarcasm keeps people laughing but there's just not much substance.

At 32 years of age I would expect more out of you.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MVR 155
Stock Type S autos are good for lower to mid 14's. Forum member Bearcat94 managed a 14.34@97.12 he did prep his car by removing all the BS extra weight in the car (Spare tire, jack, trunk mat, floor mats, etc.....).
Manual, I love the sarcasm but mid/high 14's is more like the 2nd gen TL-S stock which puts down 190-200 to the wheels. If bearcat can pull a 14.3 stock then I know a fully modded one putting down 270+ to the wheels has to break the 13's..
http://www.dragtimes.com/Acura-TL-Timeslip-14926.html

Click the link above. That's the data for BearCat performed at the track.

Danielsc400, If you check the his car was modded. It's not completely stock. He has also gone through some weight reduction which is why he got 14.34@ 97 mph. There is no exaggerations or sarcasm here. You are making it sound sarcasm. You don't seem to know much about our TL cars here. The 2nd gen TL Type-S cars are pretty dang quick. They are about as fast as the 3rd gen AUTO TL. Just because the 2nd gen TL/-S putting less whp doesn't mean it's automatically slower than the car that has more power. There is weight and gear ratios to be involved. The 2nd gen is lighter. YOu can't just think about HP and not taking other things into account. Shame on you.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:31 AM
Team Owner

To add to that, the first time someone puts drag radials on one it will hit 13s. Just .2 off the 60' would put him in the 13.9-13.8 range.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by juruki
Says the guy that never ran a 1/4 mile. Go back to your magazine racing NOOB
It isn't a magazine racing. It's about the specs of the car that determines what the car is capable of. A car like 3rd gen TL AUTO is heavier, has tall ass gears doesn't help. It has nothing to do with whether I ran at the track or not. When will you learn. Noobie kid.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Team Owner

http://www.dragtimes.com/Acura-TL-Timeslip-14926.html

Click the link above. That's the data for BearCat performed at the track.

Danielsc400, If you check the his car was modded. It's not completely stock. He has also gone through some weight reduction which is why he got 14.34@ 97 mph. There is no exaggerations or sarcasm here. You are making it sound sarcasm. You don't seem to know much about our TL cars here. The 2nd gen TL Type-S cars are pretty dang quick. They are about as fast as the 3rd gen AUTO TL. Just because the 2nd gen TL/-S putting less whp doesn't mean it's automatically slower than the car that has more power. There is weight and gear ratios to be involved. The 2nd gen is lighter. YOu can't just think about HP and not taking other things into account. Shame on you.

Nice advice! Is this based on ALL of your experience at the track? lol.

I'm going to start offering fighting advice to Brock Lesnar since I've watched UFC a lot. I'm sure the heavyweight champ could learn a lot from me from all the videos I've seen.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Team Owner

It isn't a magazine racing. It's about the specs of the car that determines what the car is capable of. A car like 3rd gen TL AUTO is heavier, has tall ass gears doesn't help. It has nothing to do with whether I ran at the track or not. When will you learn. Noobie kid.

Ricer.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by I hate cars
You lost an argument which is fine. But then you act like it was all a joke and even go so far as to pretend like you were agreeing the whole time once you realized you were wrong. This shows lack of character.

I've ignored your sarcasm and "cute" little comments for a long time but the first time you get called out you come up short. The sarcasm keeps people laughing but there's just not much substance.
This whole time in this thread I've been making constructive statements but keep on going with personal attacks. You are getting way too personal now. Look what you've been posting here. Look at your own message. It's all personal. You can't come up with anything constructive and technical about what we are discussing so all you can do is flame me with such childish act.

At 32 years of age I would expect more out of you.
That message goes for you, buddy. Go back and look what you posted. Take your own advice, kiddo. You maybe 31 years old but you act just like an 8 year old girl! It's not even funny, look stupid. Honestly, I'm not even sure if you are a young boy. You talk like a little girl.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

You are a ricer for sure:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/is350-vs-volkswagen-jetta-697491/

The only racing you ever do is against civics and Jettas. LOL
IS350 Vs JETTA what an amazing race
Old 11-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Instructor

I would hardly call Bearcats car modded, a TB spacer is a BS mod, mid muffler removal does nothing but change sound as the restrictive spot in the factory exhaust is the y-pipe and mufflers. I did mention in my post that he did pull some weight.....most guys who drag race at a real track will remove these items. If you notice my car that is bone stock pulled the same MPH with considerably more weight in it. He obviously had a bit better 60' time as well as numbers through the 1/8th which can be directly contributed to the less weight. Check your magazines..... IIRC there was one or two that track tested the 5AT Type S and they were in the bottom-mid 14 second range. Its an honest 14.3-14.4 car at 97-98MPH with decent conditions (weather/density altitude etc..) 6MT Type S cars are 13.9-14.1 at 99-101 with the same conditions...... nothing more to argue as just about everyone would agree that these are very realistic numbers based on actual results people have gotten.

There is also no reason not to believe that adding ~40whp to a 5AT type S will get you into the 13's
Old 11-21-2008, 10:33 AM
eat, sleep, NGC

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
: pretty much sums it up?
Old 11-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Team Owner

This whole time in this thread I've been making constructive statements but keep on going with personal attacks. You are getting way too personal now. Look what you've been posting here. Look at your own message. It's all personal. You can't come up with anything constructive and technical about what we are discussing so all you can do is flame me with such childish act.

That message goes for you, buddy. Go back and look what you posted. Take your own advice, kiddo. You maybe 31 years old but you act just like an 8 year old girl! It's not even funny, look stupid. Honestly, I'm not even sure if you are a young boy. You talk like a little girl.

Lies and mis-information is not constructive. You are aguing a point that anyone who has ever been down a drag strip will tell you is wrong. Unfortunately some of the newbs on here might believe you because they don't know any better.

Go back and look at who started the name calling. It's here for everyone to see.

And again, I talk to people on here the way I would talk to their face. I doubt if we were face to face you would start with that "newb" nonsense.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Banned

You are a ricer for sure:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697491

The only racing you ever do is against civics and Jettas. LOL
IS350 Vs JETTA what an amazing race
Are you stupid or something.... That's the car "I happen to" played with on the road yesterday after work. I wasn't picking on cars I wanted to race with, like you do out on the street. Kid...

Last edited by Manual Transmission; 11-21-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Team Owner

Are you stupid or something.... That's the car "I happen to" played with on the road yesterday after work. I wasn't picking on cars I wanted to race with, like you do out on the street. Kid...
You did race him.......on the street.

One thing's for sure, it wasn't at the track.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Banned

You did race him.......on the street.

One thing's for sure, it wasn't at the track.
You are being stupid. How stupid are you? This section of the forum is a "Racing and Competition". It doesn't have to be in the drag strips, dumb ass. That's nice and clear.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Banned

It appears that you spend a lot of time here in the acurazine forum. I don't come here very often as I have a lot of important things to do in my life. You don't seem to have a life. All you can do is jacking around in the internet forum and trying to show us who's the hot shot... You are pathetic. What is your occupation? Really.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Team Owner

You are being stupid. How stupid are you? This section of the forum is a "Racing and Competition". It doesn't have to be in the drag strips, dumb ass. That's nice and clear.

You just critisized the other guy for street racing yet you just posted your street race with the Jetta. I guess that point just flew over your head.

Again, english as a second language is screwing you as you really don't get sarcasm. It's too bad you're not smart enough realize you're not smart.

And come on, racing a Jetta in your overpriced Corolla? That would be almost as bad as me picking on IS350s in my GN.....almost as bad.

Are you sure you're not female? Your lack of logic and reason is making me very suspicious.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Team Owner

It appears that you spend a lot of time here in the acurazine forum. I don't come here very often as I have a lot of important things to do in my life. You don't seem to have a life. All you can do is jacking around in the internet forum and trying to show us who's the hot shot... You are pathetic. What is your occupation? Really.

My occupation allows me to be on the internet once in a while.

Ahh, now we're getting into the personal life. I'll save you some time, you can pick from these choices for your future "insults":

I bet I make more money than you.
I bet mine is bigger than yours.
I bet I'm prettier than you.
I bet I have more friends than you.

Did I miss anything?

If we don't get anything else out of this thread, we have proven that 60' times don't make any difference in trap speeds. Thanks for your help!
Old 11-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Banned

You just critisized the other guy for street racing yet you just posted your street race with the Jetta. I guess that point just flew over your head.
Again, english as a second language is screwing you as you really don't get sarcasm. It's too bad you're not smart enough realize you're not smart.
Talking to me about English language? btw, it's not "english", you forgot to make the first letter of the word "e" upper case. It it's "critisized", dumb ass. It's spelled "criticized". Learn to spell... You need to brush up on your grammar and spelling. It's absolutely horrible considering you are an American. Stupid.....

Hey dumb ass, I said I wasn't looking for race as it just happened to happen on the street. I had the opportunity and simply showed the Jetta driver what I can do. You are all over the place buddy.

And come on, racing a Jetta in your overpriced Corolla? That would be almost as bad as me picking on IS350s in my GN.....almost as bad.
Hey dumb ass, read my comments above. It's right above this quote. You are an American and can't even comprehend your own language. This guy is getting more and more stupid.

Are you sure you're not female? Your lack of logic and reason is making me very suspicious.
School girl, aren't you. I can't believe you are 32. Really embarrassing. Now go answer my question in my previous post. What is your occupation?

Old 11-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Banned

Oh dear. This I hate cars guy lives in his parents' home. Are you paying any rent?

Oh my God.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Team Owner

Oh dear. This I hate cars guy lives in his parents' home. Are you paying any rent?

Oh my God.
This is getting lame. It's time for you to throw in the towel before you embarass yourself anymore. :surrender

And again, you want to PM me with underhanded threats, I will be more than happy to meet you face to face. I live in Bakersfield. Why don't you post your location so we can set something up.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Banned

This is getting lame. It's time for you to throw in the towel before you embarass yourself anymore. :surrender

And again, you want to PM me with underhanded threats, I will be more than happy to meet you face to face. I live in Bakersfield. Why don't you post your location so we can set something up.
You are the one started with personal attacks and cursing and now you want to back off? By the way, it's spelled "embarrass" not embarass, dumb ass. You are an American, right? Work on grammar and spelling before you make a post. Most of the comments you have made is nothing constructive. Once again, what is your occupation?

Old 11-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,515 Posts

:gheywave: :gheywave:

Old 11-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Banned

You are a kid. You are not 32. I really hope not. You live at your parents home, don't you?

What is your occupation?

Old 11-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't come here very often as I have a lot of important things to do in my life. You don't seem to have a life. All you can do is jacking around in the internet forum and trying to show us who's the hot shot...
Yet you are the first reply of the day at 5:22 AM. You woke up so early to check this thread?
This thread is fun!!! Im with I HATE CARS
Manual Transmission thinks he knows it all cuz he reads a lot of magazines
Old 11-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Team Owner

You are the one started with personal attacks and cursing and now you want to back off? By the way, it's spelled "embarrass" not embarass, dumb ass. You are an American, right? Work on grammar and spelling before you make a post. Most of the comments you have made is nothing constructive. Once again, what is your occupation?

Says the guy that can't make a proper sentence. I laid off of your spelling and grammar mistakes because that's usually a last resort for people that have no real argument. I could spend a day picking your grammar apart.

Again, you want to make threats, I'm willing to make it happen. The ball is in your court.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Team Owner

The reality of this thread is:

You said launch makes a difference in mph. It was proven that it doesn't. You are wrong.

You said every TL should be capable of 99mph. It was proven that it's the exception, not the norm. You are wrong.

You acted like you had real racing experience at a track. It has been proven that you have never been down a track in your life and all your "experience" comes from magazines. You are wrong.

Now you try and cloud the facts by taking the thread way off topic and with lame insults to hide the fact that you got your ass handed to you on several occasions. I guess the only thing left to say is
Old 11-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Auto Transmission

Why even have drag strips? Lets just input the hp, weight, and gear ratios into this guy's magical calculator to determine the winner. Ricer.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Auto Transmission
You are a kid. You are not 32. I really hope not. You live at your parents home, don't you?

What is your occupation?

The first time you've been right so far. I am not 32, I'm 31. It's right there under my username.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

I hate cars i think Many Tranny got pissed LoL
He just sent me a PM:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

juruki boy,

Your Acura TL Type-S AUTO is slow. I know you are trying to defend it because I'm talking down on the AUTO version. It is true, buddy. The 4th gear on the AUTO is way too tall and you don't have enough torque. If you are lucky you might hit mid 14's. In real world most people hit about mid to upper 14's. It's a slow car. Accept it.

I know you are good boy. Let me treat you well.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Team Owner

He just sent me a PM:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

juruki boy,

Your Acura TL Type-S AUTO is slow. I know you are trying to defend it because I'm talking down on the AUTO version. It is true, buddy. The 4th gear on the AUTO is way too tall and you don't have enough torque. If you are lucky you might hit mid 14's. In real world most people hit about mid to upper 14's. It's a slow car. Accept it.

LOL. That last part doesn't even make sense.

I got something to the effect of I better watch my mouth.

This is great entertainment while I'm sick with the flu.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,515 Posts
Manual Transmission made my day.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Instructor

He just sent me a PM:

juruki boy,

What a crock of $hit.... what the hell does 4th gear on a 5AT have anything to do with a 1/4 mile drag strip???? The car goes through the traps in 3rd.

Manual Transmission..... I have proven you dont even need to try for mid 14's with a 5AT Type S..... I did it with well over 1/2 tank of fuel, heavy subwoofer box, my work stuff (30-40 lbs worth of it), jumper cables, portable air compressor and heavy all weather mats...... All in all I likely had over 100 lbs of extras in the car without counting the fuel and the ability to remove the spare tire and jack. Im sure with that stuff gone I could easily get a 14.3x so making claims the 5AT Type S is a mid to high 14 second car is just insane. Im not trying to be a jerk here but you really dont know anymore than what you read in magazines. Me and Bearcat have proven (at a real drag strip) that your claims are false when it comes to real world numbers on the 5AT Type S