Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 TL NAVI or '08 RDX Tech

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
'08 TL NAVI or '08 RDX Tech

Hi everyone! I would like some opinions on the 2008 TL NAVI and the 2008 RDX Tech. I posted the same question here and the RDX forum because I know many people read one but not the other. I am 31 and single. I am a high school teacher. I am looking to upgrade from my 2005 Accord EXL. I have never owned a SUV, but thought it could be a nice change from owning 2 Accords and the RDX seems to be just the right size-not to big and not too small. I am looking at Polished Metal/Ebony in both the RDX and the TL.

I will be going next week while on Spring Break to test drive them both again. It's been a while. I do love them both but am torn between them. I realize this generation TL is in its last few months. I know the new 2009 will be way out of my price range.

I would love some opinions and input! I want the most and best vehicle for the money. I like the $399 lease special on the RDX tech, but not sure what is available in the TL NAVI.

Sincerely,

Bamagirl77
Old 04-09-2008, 08:53 AM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It will be what is practical for you.

I currently have a 05 TL/NAV and I love my TL

I've drove RDX as a loaner for couple days where I love this RDX's turbo and it will save gas since its a 4 CYCLINDER. RDX is small size SUV and you can haul stuff.

Anyways, it will come down to what is PRACTICAL for you and it don't matter what we say here. And personally I don't like lease where you don't own it and you will pay for all the insurances, services, etc....

Good Luck
Old 04-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Like TL1999 said...choose wats practical...

TL Pros:
1. 09 coming out soon, so you should be able to get a great deal on an 08 Navi
2. V6 Power! yaaaaaaaaaah!
3. Interior ergonomics is slick, clean, and sexy!
4. Tried and true mods for the TL, with more coming!

TL Cons:
1. Tranny? Its a hit or miss, i think...
2. No folding rear back seat...limited to wat you can carry. has a small pass thru hole thou.
3. Not nearly as much space as RDX
4. 09 is on its way....maybe 08 styling may not be as sexy anymore???

RDX Pros
1. Roomy, spacious, pracitcal for luggin around various pieces of stuff.
2. 4 cylinder (althou mpg is not impressive)
3. No tranny issues (that i know of.....)

RDX Cons
1. Its not a TL
2. Its not a TL
3. Its not a TL
4. Its not a TL

Disclaimer: The following is COMPLETELY BIAS!

I say go for the TL.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

I will say go for the TL as well. You are single and no need to have a SUV that eats up gas like there is no tomorrow. I have test drove TLS yesterday and I have falling in love with it already.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Its MY Car & I Love It!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ankur914
RDX Cons
1. Its not a TL
2. Its not a TL
3. Its not a TL
4. Its not a TL
Thats too funny! LOL

I've never driven an RDX so I cant really give you any advice on that. BUT!!!! I just purchased my 08 and I absolutely LOVE it!!!!! Very solid and stable! Just my

What part of Alabama are you from?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:40 AM
08 NBP Type S Sucka !!

i just got an 08 tl-s a and i couldn't be happier...so i vote for TL.LOL
Old 04-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DJSlim
Thats too funny! LOL

I've never driven an RDX so I cant really give you any advice on that. BUT!!!! I just purchased my 08 and I absolutely LOVE it!!!!! Very solid and stable! Just my

What part of Alabama are you from?
I'm on the Gulf Coast. Way down here.

If I do decide on the TL, should I wait more into the summer or fall to purchase? I don't want to miss out on a great deal by getting it too early, but do want to get my color choice without difficulty.

Thanks! Keep them coming!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Its MY Car & I Love It!!!

You may want to get your TL NOW! With the 09 Model releasing later this year, I'm pretty sure that production on the 08 has stopped and the TL is Acura's best seller. Check with your dealer to see if they have any incentives for purchasing the car now. The dealer here in Huntsville had an awesome deal going on when I purchased mine. Free maintenance for 3 Years/24,000 Miles. Whichever comes first. So that means free scheduled checkups(oil changes, tune ups, tire rotations, ect.) not to mention the awesome warranty! Keep in mind that at the end of the day, the sales rep wants to make a sale so let the sales rep know if your not satisfied with the deal. Get their manager involved if possible so you can get the sweetest deal possible.

I'll be in gulf this weekend actually. My uncle passed and the services will be in Mobile.

Good Luck on your purchase!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:21 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
if you think you will need all wheel drive go rdx... but... get the current tl.... or better yet get the tl-s... because if it snows like crazy... get snow tires... and you should be fine

if you desire to save 5mpg then get the rdx (only benefit I can think off)
Old 04-09-2008, 10:31 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
really cant go wrong with either. The RDX is often overlooked and underestimated. Use a test drive to decide.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Originally Posted by TL1999
and it will save gas since its a 4 CYCLINDER.
The TL gets better gas mileage than the RDX - period.

To the OP- drive both and see which one fits the bill better.

Your going to get biased opinions in here. This is one of the reasons why we don't allow comparison threads in the 3GTL section but we'll keep the thread open for now.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ggesq

Your going to get biased opinions in here. This is one of the reasons why we don't allow comparison threads in the 3GTL section but we'll keep the thread open for now.

Thanks gg. I apologize about posting this type of question. I didn't know. I have always been leaning toward the TL, but thought the RDX might be a good choice because of its utility, but I was very concerned about smoothness of the ride and the turbo as far as gas milage, etc. I test drove them both about a year ago. I came away impressed, but don't remember a dang thing about them.

As I said, I am going next week-already talked to the salesman. He even told me that I will be happier with the TL, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't a salesman ploy.

I will defintely keep you all posted!

Thanks again!
Old 04-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Second that the TL does get better mileage then the RDX even for a 4 cyl.

One more thing to consider, it seems that most dealers are discounting the TL (last year of 3G) more so then the RDX so you might get a better deal on the TL.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:30 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

man, i didn't know that....i guess i am talking out of my ass...

sorry if I posted the wrong info for OP

Originally Posted by ggesq

Old 04-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,027 Likes on 1,518 Posts
Gas mileage is anything but poor in the TL.

If you do a lot of freeway driving, you can maintain an easy 30mpg - 33mpg @ 70mph - 80 mph.

I average 25mpg and I do a lot of city / highway driving.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Intermediate

I currently own both 08 RDX tech and 08 tl-s.
RDX
cons
engine is not adequate, I don't care what people say, long trip during the summer with air on,
gas mileage, unless you drive like a grandma
no touch screen
pros
sh-awd, winter driving
comfortable for long trip
higher clearance, better visibility
Tl-s 5at
cons
front wheel drive
pros
sporty
more horse power, torque, fun to drive
better gas mileage

Overall, I enjoy driving my tl-s much more than the rdx. I definetely will trade the rdx for either rdx v6 or fx35
Old 04-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Since you are single, I would go for the TL, it is much more sporty, and in my experience, gets better MPG at higher revs and is quicker because its 2 wheel drive instead of SH-AWD. The RDX is fun, but it's not quite as luxurious as the TL in my opinion, it's kinda like a turbo'ed TSX in SUV form. I vote for the TL
Old 04-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Racer

TL > RDX..

I had one as a loaner for a week, and I was dying to get back into my car. RDX was a dog until the rpm's hit around 3.5-4k.... and in comes the horrible gas mileage.

get a TL, do all the rattle fixes, don't look back.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:00 AM
2011 BMW 335i

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very simple...I would get a TL... I used to work for Acura and have driven the RDXs.... If you were talking RDX vs. TSX then it would be a harder choice, same if you were comparing TL vs. MDX.

I would definately go for TL...if you plan on leasing anyway I wouldnt worry about the 09 coming out cause in 3 years you'll be turning your 08 TL possibly for a 2011??
Old 04-10-2008, 01:57 AM
9th Gear

I actually have both as well. The RDX is the wife's and I've had my TL for about three weeks now...in my opinion you can't really go wrong. The RDX is a sporty smaller SUV. The springs are much stiffer than you'll find on the BMW SUV in the same class. The SH-AWD is great. I struggle to get it to break free in the snow. It really is a great small SUV that gives you some storage without comprimising a sporty'ish ride (for an SUV that is). Plus, it's not a common car and, at least for me, I think there's something to be said when you don't have to search through the parking lot to find your car. As for the TL, I love it. Great luxury/performance/value. I think that's the only place you will get a unequivocal win with the TL vs. the RDX - they're really trying to get rid of them whereas the RDX sales have actually picked up quite a bit since they started advertizing them more.

The bottom line that you need to decide is whether an SUV or sedan is the best fit for you because the cars are both superb. Personally I would go with the TL because I think the RDX is somewhat of a chick car. Either way it's not a bad predicament to find yourself in.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:21 AM
Photographer

i came from a 07 RDX now i have a 07 TL-S. two totally different cars. you really have to decide if you rather have a car or a CUV. the only thing i miss about the RDX is the SH AWD and the turbo. but my V6 makes up for the turbo =-)
Old 04-10-2008, 06:44 AM
Instructor

I like cars, so TL, no suv's for me.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 08CBP
I actually have both as well. The RDX is the wife's and I've had my TL for about three weeks now...in my opinion you can't really go wrong. The RDX is a sporty smaller SUV. The springs are much stiffer than you'll find on the BMW SUV in the same class. The SH-AWD is great. I struggle to get it to break free in the snow. It really is a great small SUV that gives you some storage without comprimising a sporty'ish ride (for an SUV that is). Plus, it's not a common car and, at least for me, I think there's something to be said when you don't have to search through the parking lot to find your car. As for the TL, I love it. Great luxury/performance/value. I think that's the only place you will get a unequivocal win with the TL vs. the RDX - they're really trying to get rid of them whereas the RDX sales have actually picked up quite a bit since they started advertizing them more.

The bottom line that you need to decide is whether an SUV or sedan is the best fit for you because the cars are both superb. Personally I would go with the TL because I think the RDX is somewhat of a chick car. Either way it's not a bad predicament to find yourself in.
i think the OP is a female.

but you should decide whether you prefered SUVs or Sedans. and im not sure if it snows much in alabama to worry about AWD.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Instructor

Hi again all! Thanks so much for all the input. Since I am in Mobile (Gulf Coast), we don't ever see snow! Although, I do wish sometimes we would see it. I am going Tuesday to drive both so we'll see what happens. I have admired the TL for 4 years now. It has been my "dream car." Now that I am a single proefessional, I think it's time to graduate from Honda (had 2) and "advance." Sorry, had to do it. I am concerned about the ride quality in the RDX and the gas milage is a little concern, nothing major. The TL seems to be a perfect fit, but I have been thinking it might be nice to have something other than a car. Although, I can drive the RDX whenever I have the oil changed.

I thought it wouldn't be a bad thing to go ahead and lease the TL, because in 3 years, the new TLs and TSXs will have been out for a couple of years and maybe the RDX will have a V6 or better gas milage. I still like them both. It is kind of hard to decide. Hopefully that will change next week.

I am forever greatful to all who have posted! Please keep the opinions coming!

Many thanks!

Bamagirl77
Old 04-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Pro

Get the TL NO DOUBT at all, you can get a good deal on a TL, you cannot get a good deal on an RDX.

You have more room in the TL except the trunk, so unless you really truely need that trunk the RDX has ( which really isnt that big anyways) get the TL NO DOUBT, superiour car in everyway.

Anyways the MPG people are getting with the RDX sucks.

The only reason I would get the RDX is if you are most defenitly going to lease because if you get the TL and show your face around this forum your gonna get the modding bug and regret that you leased the TL

So unless your day to day life or job or business demands that you lug stuff around all the time get the TL its that simple
Old 04-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Bamagirl77
Hi again all! Thanks so much for all the input. Since I am in Mobile (Gulf Coast), we don't ever see snow! Although, I do wish sometimes we would see it. I am going Tuesday to drive both so we'll see what happens. I have admired the TL for 4 years now. It has been my "dream car." Now that I am a single proefessional, I think it's time to graduate from Honda (had 2) and "advance." Sorry, had to do it. I am concerned about the ride quality in the RDX and the gas milage is a little concern, nothing major. The TL seems to be a perfect fit, but I have been thinking it might be nice to have something other than a car. Although, I can drive the RDX whenever I have the oil changed.

I thought it wouldn't be a bad thing to go ahead and lease the TL, because in 3 years, the new TLs and TSXs will have been out for a couple of years and maybe the RDX will have a V6 or better gas milage. I still like them both. It is kind of hard to decide. Hopefully that will change next week.

I am forever greatful to all who have posted! Please keep the opinions coming!

Many thanks!

Bamagirl77
Once you drive the TL versus the RDX your gonna pick the TL I would put money on it.

I dont kow if this is the case anymore but when I bought my TL Type-S i paid less for then what they were offering an RDX with tech for. LOL
Old 04-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Photographer

Originally Posted by evanj5
Get the TL NO DOUBT at all, you can get a good deal on a TL, you cannot get a good deal on an RDX.

You have more room in the TL except the trunk, so unless you really truely need that trunk the RDX has ( which really isnt that big anyways) get the TL NO DOUBT, superiour car in everyway.

Anyways the MPG people are getting with the RDX sucks.

The only reason I would get the RDX is if you are most defenitly going to lease because if you get the TL and show your face around this forum your gonna get the modding bug and regret that you leased the TL

So unless your day to day life or job or business demands that you lug stuff around all the time get the TL its that simple
you do not have more room in the TL. unless you have had experience with both cars i suggest you do not give out false information. the one thing i liked about my RDX is that it had more room than my Type-S. also the SH AWD is far superior to the FWD of the TL. it just depends if you rather have a CUV or a car. plain and simple...

yes the MPG does suck but if you know how to control your foot you can get decent mileage.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was considering the RDX as my next new ride, but I can't get with the poor mileage and it really kinda reminds me of the fugly CRV. Consumer Reports has commented on the stiff ride and mileage of the RDX.

There is a benefit to the last model year TL, as it has been refined as much as possible. You said it was your dream car, and I say go for it. It looks super classy. I have loved mine and still do, although I admit that I have the 3-year itch now.... *scratchy*
Old 04-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
I had an RDX for 2 weeks as a loaner and couldn't wait to get my car back. It is a pig on gas, takes way too many RPM's for the turbo to spool up and the thing to accelerate. It does handle well for it's size (height actually). At times I felt like it was a death trap due to the hesitation while starting from a stop. There really isn't that much room in it either. I vote TL by a mile plus. Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Cruisin'

Definately TL. Much sharper car, the interior is more than roomie. Plus being single wont be cool forever so go with the TL. =)
Old 04-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Instructor

I really appreciate all of your responses. I mentioned this to my mother at dinner tonight and she even said the TL. BTW, she doesn't give a rip about cars. I like the Polished Metal/Ebony Combo with a spoiler. Yes, I am a spoiler girl-always have been. I saw one on a NBP/Ebony TL with tinted windows the other day. Now that was sharp! However, to be fair to all who have so kindly given advice, I am going to drive both and then decide.

My newspaper is advertising $359 a month, 36 months, $1999 down, 10K per year. Is there a rule of thumb as to how much more they add per month on the base/NAVI TL? I am assuming $50-$60 more per month? I am a great leasing candidate. Although, I might REALLY want to drive this thing. My 2005 Accord has 18,500 miles on it. I am wondering if I should try and sell my car.

I will let you all know what happens Tuesday when I come back from the dealer. I love reading all of your posts. You have all been a wonderful blessing!

Bamagirl77