Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Accord or 05 Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 Accord or 05 Acura TL

Hi all as most of you know I purchased an 05 TL with nav AT5 and a-spec body for my wife in June of 08 in Nov of 08 I was able to get an 08 accord EX-L with Nav to replace my caddy DTS for me.

It has now come clear to me that my better half really likes my Accord and take it out when ever she can using the reasoning that (well it was at the end of the driveway).

Just two days ago she found out that one of the disk in her back was out of wack and she told me that the seats in the accord were better for her and then asked me if I would mined trading cars.

the TL has 20K on clock the Accord has 10K what do you here think I should do. Shouls I give up the Accord for the TL or just let her use it and when things get back to norm take my car back. they both are 5 speed At's both are 6 cyl tl is 3.2 Accord is 3.5

Help
I really had the Accord grow on me esp with the eco system that kicks out cyl when not needed its been getting 22mpg city don't know what the TL will get as it was her daily driver and not mine Accord uses 87 oct TL 91 both only need to go to gas station every 2 weeks but wanted to ask the question here.

I love my sweethart but had bought this one for me and the TL was the one she wanted

So what do u all think
If I can post pictures I will but the TL is over to the left
Old 01-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
If I was in your situation and it will help my wifes back, I'd trade. I'm not that familiar with the 08 Accord but simply love my TL-S. Are they that different?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
I say screw it give her the accord, you know in the long run she will end up getting what she wants anyway right? Is there really something wrong with her back or is she just saying that bc she wants to trade cars?

Hmmm, just thought of something...aren't you a cop?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Spouse > car you'll still have.

/thread.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Advanced

No its true she has a flatened disk right at the base of her back and they are looking at what they can do to fix it. She has told me no knife on this one she is scared that somthing might go wrong and just will not go there. here is a link to our family web site pictures of both cars are there, And CarrieLynn don't you all always get what you want in the end I thought that was instilled at birth on the females :~)

Let me know what you guys think

opps almost forgot the link http://www.bento.org/markjoannesplace/acura.html
Old 01-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Safety Car

In that case I hope everything turns out well with her back. I don't blame her for not wanting to go under the knife, I would be scared too.
It looks like you have a very nice family, in the long run does it really matter which car you drive, they are both nice.
Oh, and if you are a cop and you see me in MA please don't pull me over, copy the pic of my car and distruibute to all your cop friends I do NOT like to be profiled - and I know you know what i mean
Old 01-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Advanced

Yes miss i am 26 yrs and still going if you looked under bad day at work you would have seen one of my bad days and those pictures are the real thing before the cars were detailed if you know what i mean
Old 01-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Is it just me or does anyone think it's kinda 'effed up you even ask.. it's just a car. Even if you had a TL-S and she wanted to trade her '96 Tercel with you.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Advanced

well some of us really like the cars we drive thats why we put time into researching them
Old 01-14-2009, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by markbento
well some of us really like the cars we drive thats why we put time into researching them
wtf buddy.. your wife is in pain and you're still torn?? Why don't you get your d* out of your tailpipe and be nice to your wife.

I'd hate to see if she put a scratch on your Accord.. terms for divorce. It's just a car.. and the fact that you have two excellent cars is even more ridiculous. I don't know the payment situation but if anything.. swap insurance and car payments if it makes you feel better.. sell the TL and get another Accord.

If you two researched it so much you both would have gotten Accords.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Safety Car

yes, i saw the bad day thing...ouch! Be safe out there!
I have much respect for all police and fire men/women but over the past 3 years I have lost my faith in cops completely! I am SO sick of getting pulled over because I have rims, tints, and a nice car and when the officer gets to my window he is like OH, hi miss. Please, let me guess, just because I have rims and tints, I am expected to be a black or hispanic man with guns and drugs in the car...right??? I have even had my car searched FOR NO REASON, I have never even been arrested, I have no criminal record. I know what you are thinking, if I was pulled over there must have been a reason right? Well yeah sure, if you call having a tinted license plate cover a reason. Is it illegal, I have been told so but I am smart enough to know that if you are being pulled over for something this silly the officer is just fishing for more! If my windows were not tinted and I had the biggest, most shiny rims, but you could clearly see I was a white woman driving would I still get pulled over for a tinted license plate cover?? I don't think so!

Anyway, back on topic, if your wife's back hurts give her the car. You will LOVE the TL, If you don't now, you will, trust me!!
Old 01-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Majofo
wtf buddy.. your wife is in pain and you're still torn?? Why don't you get your d* out of your tailpipe and be nice to your wife.

I'd hate to see if she put a scratch on your Accord.. terms for divorce. It's just a car.. and the fact that you have two excellent cars is even more ridiculous. I don't know the payment situation but if anything.. swap insurance and car payments if it makes you feel better.. sell the TL and get another Accord.

If you two researched it so much you both would have gotten Accords.
I can see this is going no where, and the fact that she is in pain is not the point she got what she wanted and i what i wanted If i really wanted the TL I would have the type s with the mt

but this is a dead issue thanks to the other posters that understood the question and did not take it personal as others did.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CarrieLynn
yes, i saw the bad day thing...ouch! Be safe out there!
I have much respect for all police and fire men/women but over the past 3 years I have lost my faith in cops completely! I am SO sick of getting pulled over because I have rims, tints, and a nice car and when the officer gets to my window he is like OH, hi miss. Please, let me guess, just because I have rims and tints, I am expected to be a black or hispanic man with guns and drugs in the car...right??? I have even had my car searched FOR NO REASON, I have never even been arrested, I have no criminal record. I know what you are thinking, if I was pulled over there must have been a reason right? Well yeah sure, if you call having a tinted license plate cover a reason. Is it illegal, I have been told so but I am smart enough to know that if you are being pulled over for something this silly the officer is just fishing for more! If my windows were not tinted and I had the biggest, most shiny rims, but you could clearly see I was a white woman driving would I still get pulled over for a tinted license plate cover?? I don't think so!

Anyway, back on topic, if your wife's back hurts give her the car. You will LOVE the TL, If you don't now, you will, trust me!!
I might be wrong but in MA anything that covers you plates is a no no even that trailer ball that you see in the middle of some plates to tow trailers with is a no no, window tint if more than 35% is no no smoke tail light covers no no and the list just go's on.

trust me if they want to find something to check out the driver its very EZ to do as most of us hand it to them on a silver plater.
even my cars give it to them as on my car I have tinted windows and my front plate is not there as you see in the pictures and the list could go on but oh well its the price we pay for how we want to play right?
Old 01-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Safety Car

^ yes, I have no problem with paying a speeding ticket or being pulled over for something on my car that is illegal but I still stand firm by my statment - If my windows were not tinted and I had the biggest, most shiny rims, but you could clearly see I was a white woman driving would I still get pulled over for a tinted license plate cover?? I don't think so!
That is just my opinion though...
Believe it or not all the times I have been pulled over for something like tints or having something hanging from my rearview mirror, or a plate cover...I have never gotten a ticket! Once the cop saw who was driving...different ball game.
Like I said, be safe out there
Old 01-14-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm lost..

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As nice as the latest generation of Accords are, the TL is a sweet machine. It's the perfect balance of sport, luxury, economy and size. Very pleasing on the eye, very mod friendly and it's not much more expensive than your Accord to run. Assuming I'm not driving around like Paul Walker or Vin Diesel, I can get 500km (or 310 miles) on a full tank of gas. Even when my pedal foot gets itchy I can still pull off 400+ km (or 249+ miles). Considering a 3.2 VTECH engine producing 258HP thats pretty impressive.

Oh yeah, thats about 60% city 40% highway too.

It's not like your giving up your car to a stranger. In the end, it still stays in the family. This should be an easy choice. Now if she an Echo or something I'd really be sweating bullets to give up the Honda.

No biggie with a TL tho..give it up..you might not wanna trade back.

Cheers
Old 01-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Advanced

Thanks guys but like CarrieLynn stated above its more than likely already done I think her asking was just her way of telling me that it was done I work the overnight shift and when I got up today it was gone with the TL in the driveway oh well have to call XM now and have them add the TL to the account she did not want XM but I like it when u can't find anything else to listen to.

Thanks all
Old 01-14-2009, 02:33 PM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the extra .3 liter that big of a difference? Both get close to the same gas mileage. Both have Nav, 5 speed AT, leather, 4 doors, sunroof, etc... It's pretty much the same car and both are Hondas. Albeit the Accord has that switch off cylinder thingy(don't remember the term for it). You'll get HIDs which the Accord doesn't have. That's enough to make me drive the TL instead of the Accord. The TL doesn't seem to get much love from you it seems, so trading it in or selling it for another Accord wouldn't be a bad idea. Ultimately it would make both of you happy.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Pro

happy wife = happy you
Old 01-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Traveling the country

I would rather have the TL anyway. Why don't you see if you can sale it and get a Type-S?
Old 01-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Nismo TL yo!

why would cylinder deactivation be a big deal? Don't you both pay for the gas for both cars regardless?

btw, if you dont give her what she wants now, it will come back and bite you later!
Old 01-14-2009, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by markbento
I can see this is going no where, and the fact that she is in pain is not the point she got what she wanted and i what i wanted If i really wanted the TL I would have the type s with the mt

but this is a dead issue thanks to the other posters that understood the question and did not take it personal as others did.
yes.. but her back going out changes everything..

what you should do is post a new thread.. "How to swap driver's seat in '08 Accord for 3G TL??"

One thing I've learned.. make the wife happy.. whether that means she drives the Z06 and you drive the jalopy.. also.. if she doesn't treat your ride to your liking.. dont nag.. it will end up turning into 20+ years or nagging misery. You nag her and she nags you (talk about things going nowhere).

Your initial post just caught me as so shallow. I still think it's shallow. Tell her you're going to trade in her ride for another Accord and see what her response is.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Is it just me or does anyone think it's kinda 'effed up you even ask.. it's just a car. Even if you had a TL-S and she wanted to trade her '96 Tercel with you.

I agree. If it was my wife, I won't even hesitate for a sec. She will get whatever she wants.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Traveling the country

Originally Posted by bimmerman
Why don't you see if you can sale it and get a Type-S?

Just ask her about this, if she likes the Accord that much than most likely she will not mind if you sale it and get a manual. Then you both will have what you want.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:56 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
man just take the TL its a great car you'll end up loving it too just like the accord.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:47 AM
Advanced

I took the TL to work with me I was in full duty gear and boy were those seats tight. and uncoffy with the duty belt and vest on now I know why she likes the accord seats better before this I only drove the car now and then.

And a note to the poster about the TL having HID's and the Accord not mine has them both in the low beams and the fog lights car cam that way from dealer.

the only really nice thing about the TL is the mem seats and the curb sidw mirror tilt accord lacks that. but who knows after I drive it more maybe it will grow on me we will see.

But for now the TL is mine and the accord is hers so I guess this rant can now be lock or deleted thanks for the debate it was nice to hear the comments.

Mark
Old 01-16-2009, 12:42 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

I have a friend who is debating on which of these to purchase. Does anyone have actual advice comparing the two cars (and not some lame marital advice --> trade the TL for BJs, btw...)
Old 01-16-2009, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by xen-cuts
I have a friend who is debating on which of these to purchase. Does anyone have actual advice comparing the two cars (and not some lame marital advice --> trade the TL for BJs, btw...)
wtf.. never heard of such advice.. can you imagine a craigslist ad: WTT TL 4 BJ

I bet there are a few sorry dudes who would. Too bad mostly dudes would reply back.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:26 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

wtf.. never heard of such advice.. can you imagine a craigslist ad: WTT TL 4 BJ

I bet there are a few sorry dudes who would. Too bad mostly dudes would reply back.
If you are posting craigslist ads for your wife, I think you're having communication problems...
Old 01-17-2009, 06:29 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
You now the answer for this already man... I love my 05 TL, nomatter what, if she doesnt get what she wants life could be hell for you. Need i say more?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:56 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm not married but have been with one girl for a long period of time. Just give her what she wants.

The TL is just plain sexy man. I think it would fit you better than the accord.
you cant go wrong anyway
Old 01-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Advanced

I think one of the post was missed the swap was done and is over so where did all the lame post comments come from what I mean is some one posted about trade for bjs wtf is that all about Mr Mod can we lock this thred please it has served its time
Thanks
Old 01-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Some purportedly intelligent people can really screw up a thread.