Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 TLS in for service...06 Loaner observations

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 TLS in for service...06 Loaner observations

Brought my baby ('07 TLS 6MT) in for some work, and this time I got an '06 Desert Mist 5AT non-navi as a loaner. (Previously I had been given a TSX, which was a nice car for what it is, but no comparison at all to the TL, so no comment on that car). Let me start by saying that my TLS has about 1,200 miles...the loaner has 13K on the ODO, and was quite dirty inside and out. OBVIOUSLY NOT somebody's pride and joy.

Immediate impressions on the 1/2 hour drive home:

* I actually think the Desert Metallic is a pretty color in person...much nicer in person than in pictures. Pleasantly surprised!

* The dash layout, controls, buttons are quite different between the navi and non...man I was hunting! The steering wheel was missing like 10 buttons that I use all the time! The info buttons are on the dash, and it took me a few miles to realize that..as opposed to the big buttons on the steering wheel of the TLS. Info screen is in the right-hand guage pod in the '06...in the center on the TLS. There's no little buttons on the far left to press for voice commands...WTF??? DUH...non navi!

* The seats...literally no comparison. MUCH harder on the ass in the '06, minus all the side bolstering that the TLS has.

* The difference between the blue and red color theme in dash lighting...more a matter of taste than functionality. I think good points are there for either color, but personally prefer the red.

* The upper dash display...where'd all my information go?? It's a clock on the '06 non-navi. That's it. In the TLS, there is a ton of shit showing up there (pretty sure that's a navi thing, not a TLS thing).

* The headlights switch...NO AUTO position in the '06. (Is that new in '07?)

* Stepped on the gas at a light...WTF??? Why am I not zoomin? MAJOR difference in accelleration. 'nuff said.

* Turned hard to the right at a light...WOW, this thing LEANS! Theres a huge difference between the two suspensions. (once again, the '06 has ten times the miles my car has).

* The loaner's BS tires are WAY quieter than the TLS's Michelins. Very noticable how much quieter the '06 is than the TLS. DAMN those Michi's are LOUD.

* Can't really comment or make comparisons about smoothness of ride...Checked the TPMS on the loaner, and found they had all 4 tires inflated to 39 and 40 PSI...so it was riding HARD. Much harder than my TLS. Felt every ripple in the road! To be fair, my buddy has an '04 5AT with navi...and it rides real smooth n quiet. So I blame the harsh ride on over-inflated rubber.

Summing it up...

IMO the difference in feel is significant. So much so, that I'd venture to call it a completely different driving experience between the TLS and the base TL. Power and handling...it doesn't even feel like the same manufacturer built both of these cars. I was actually very surprised about that. Perhaps a newer, less abused, '07 base model would be a more fair comparison to my TLS...but I didn't think there would be THAT MUCH difference between them.

Also to be fair, the layout of the center stack in '07 base non-navi is different from the '06 and earlier years. So in that regard it's not really fair to compare these two.

Biggest thing I'll take away from this experience is a feeling that I am really happy I got the '07 TLS and didn't buy my car a year earlier like I almost did. Not to say that the earlier years/trims were anything less than great...but the changes and refinements in the new model are impressive enough to make them impossible to ignore.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very good write up but at 1200 miles what was your car in for?
Old 06-21-2007, 09:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
Very good write up but at 1200 miles what was your car in for?
Thanks!

It's in for a few of the 'known issues' with the TLS that other owners have pointed out here.

First, the rear suspension is getting clunky already, and I suspect my car was shipped with faulty struts back there. A bunch of guys have had the same problem.
Second, I have a hell of a time downshifting into third, which is a common issue with the 6MT. Easy fix though, they just have to dump the transaxle fluid and replace it with GM brand.
Third, and really the only annoying one of the three...the monkeys they employ as porters scratched the hell out of my dash when they were wiping it clean the day I picked up the car, brand new. (there was also blood stains all over one of my seatbelts the day I picked it up...they've already replaced it on one of my other three service visits). This is the fourth time they are going to try to 'condition' it. If they fail this time they've promised to replace it. Something I REALLY don't want. I may just live with the scratches if it comes to that. Maybe I can get them to toss me a bone, like install the CF trim kit for free instead.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently had the opposite experience. I took my '06 navi 5AT in for service and they loaned me a '07 navi 5AT (3.2).

The things I noticed:
  • '07 Gauge cluster is a little easier on the eyes and classier, IMHO
  • '07 steering felt "tighter" - that is, it generally required more effort to turn the steering wheel. However, even with the tighter steering, I wouldn't say that I felt more force feedback from the road... the tighter steering I guess is supposed to lend the illusion of more connection with the road.
  • '07 seats were softer. But I like my '06 seats. You thank God for every bit of seat hardness during 700 mile road trips. The hardness of the seats provides the butt and lower back support to keep you from sagging into the seat and getting sore and tired.
  • I prefer the '06 stock wheels.
  • I definitely noticed the upgraded '07 nav system
  • The only other difference that I really noticed was the suspension which is much improved in the '07. Improved handling with reduced harshness and road noise. I was pleasantly surprised.

To the OP: the difference you felt between your 07 and 06 had more to do with the fact that you're used to the manual while the 06 was an auto, and also that your loaner was a non-nav. If you compared an '06 6MT nav with an '07 6MT TL-S nav, you would notice far fewer differences. The two navi autos I drove definitely felt like they were from the same car company
Old 06-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs
Thanks!

It's in for a few of the 'known issues' with the TLS that other owners have pointed out here.

First, the rear suspension is getting clunky already, and I suspect my car was shipped with faulty struts back there. A bunch of guys have had the same problem.
Second, I have a hell of a time downshifting into third, which is a common issue with the 6MT. Easy fix though, they just have to dump the transaxle fluid and replace it with GM brand.
Third, and really the only annoying one of the three...the monkeys they employ as porters scratched the hell out of my dash when they were wiping it clean the day I picked up the car, brand new. (there was also blood stains all over one of my seatbelts the day I picked it up...they've already replaced it on one of my other three service visits). This is the fourth time they are going to try to 'condition' it. If they fail this time they've promised to replace it. Something I REALLY don't want. I may just live with the scratches if it comes to that. Maybe I can get them to toss me a bone, like install the CF trim kit for free instead.
Hm well after they do all that you should be REALLY loving your car compared to the one you have now. And btw I say in your post about the auto lights that was just added in 07.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Instructor

mannn you don't gotta rag on your brothas and sistas who own a non 07 TL-S.......

but yea.........navi makes a world of a difference vs. non-navi.

I would not have bought a TL if i wasn't going to get Navi......

Also, that backup camera woulda been great on the 06.....i can't see shit when i'm backin up. i always gotta use the side mirrors when reversing and gotta open my door to see.

maybe cause i put my seats to the lowest position. ah well.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Desert_TL
I recently had the opposite experience. I took my '06 navi 5AT in for service and they loaned me a '07 navi 5AT (3.2).

The things I noticed:
  • '07 Gauge cluster is a little easier on the eyes and classier, IMHO
  • '07 steering felt "tighter" - that is, it generally required more effort to turn the steering wheel. However, even with the tighter steering, I wouldn't say that I felt more force feedback from the road... the tighter steering I guess is supposed to lend the illusion of more connection with the road.
  • '07 seats were softer. But I like my '06 seats. You thank God for every bit of seat hardness during 700 mile road trips. The hardness of the seats provides the butt and lower back support to keep you from sagging into the seat and getting sore and tired.
  • I prefer the '06 stock wheels.
  • I definitely noticed the upgraded '07 nav system
  • The only other difference that I really noticed was the suspension which is much improved in the '07. Improved handling with reduced harshness and road noise. I was pleasantly surprised.

To the OP: the difference you felt between your 07 and 06 had more to do with the fact that you're used to the manual while the 06 was an auto, and also that your loaner was a non-nav. If you compared an '06 6MT nav with an '07 6MT TL-S nav, you would notice far fewer differences. The two navi autos I drove definitely felt like they were from the same car company
I couldn't agree with you more about my compsarison not being completely fair. I hope I was clear enough in pointing that out myself multiple times in the original post. I really did TRY to bring attention to the fact that these may as well be apples and oranges. You're absolutely correct when you say that there are huge differences between driving an AT and MT vehicle, and the navi v non dash and controls were never intended to be the same. There is no real 'baseline' for comparison between these 2 cars in those respects. Also can't ignore the HP difference between these 2 vehicles either. So these cars SHOULD feel different from each other. My point was that the differences I observed were larger than expected. I anticipated getting in the car and minus the lack of a third pedal, the overall driving feel experience would more similar than it was.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TMLInfinity
mannn you don't gotta rag on your brothas and sistas who own a non 07 TL-S.......

but yea.........navi makes a world of a difference vs. non-navi.

I would not have bought a TL if i wasn't going to get Navi......

Also, that backup camera woulda been great on the 06.....i can't see shit when i'm backin up. i always gotta use the side mirrors when reversing and gotta open my door to see.

maybe cause i put my seats to the lowest position. ah well.
RAG?. You have to understand that before this TLS even existed I was DROOLING for a TL since the 3G first appeared in dealerships. I LOVE these cars! My Buddy's 04 made me sore every time I got in it. He maintains the crap out of it...and to this day I really enjoy being a PASSENGER with him more than I enjoyed driving some other cars I've owned (and I HATE riding shotgun). So no way do I knock earlier years.

And today was the very first time I've ever been in a non-navi with the engine running. So I guess I was surprised at how different it really is and for some reason wanted to share all these impressions.

If any of you are offended in any way...please accept my most humble apology.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
I agree 100%. I had an 06 TL but it had Nav. The TL-S is so much better IMO. I really like it after lowering it and doing Stage 3 exhaust!!!