3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The '06/'07/'08 TL 6MT vs '06/'07 RL question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The '06/'07/'08 TL 6MT vs '06/'07 RL question...

I am currently awaiting the word from my insurance company on whether or not they are going to total my damaged TL. I am curious though, is anyone able to cite any specific benefits provided by the '08 TL-S that were not in the '07 TL-S? I've even read a post that has me wondering if an '06 TL 6MT wouldn't be sufficient. Personally, I prefer the solid red tails on the 04-06l although I am sure I could change those out if I had to. Anyhow, here's the review:

http://www1.epinions.com/review/2007...t_278522793604

The quote that got my attention:
During my back-to-back test drives, the larger engine feels moderately more energetic throughout its range, but when hitched to the six-speed manual the 3.2 is far from a slouch. So I'm not seeing a huge gain here. I suspect the 3.5 makes a larger difference with the automatic, as with that transmission the 3.2 feels a bit weak off the line.

The bottom line is that I am a fan of a manual TL. My wife is a fan of the RL. We're both open to all models, though. Right now, I'm essentially considering an 06 MT6 TL or 07/08 Type S TL or 06 Tech RL or 07 Tech RL. The thing I like about the 06 RL is that you get the CMBS and ACC with the tech package where in the 07 it is an option and harder to find. I also believe that this review of the 07 RL says things that concern me:

http://www.edmunds.com/acura/rl/2007/review.html

The quote that got my attention:
The main culprit for that lack of thrills is the 290-horsepower 3.5-liter SOHC 24-valve V6 powering the RL. By any standard this is a sweet-natured engine that builds power seamlessly, with no apparent transition when the VTEC variable valve timing system engages and it operates in virtual silence, but the RL weighs in at just over 2 tons and there's no way 256-pound feet of peak torque is going to shove that much mass around with authority. Also, unlike many direct competitors in this segment that have moved on to six- or even seven-speed automatic transmissions, the RL still makes due with five and the paddle shifters are more a distraction than a performance enhancement. It could use those additional gears even more than its V8-engorged competitors.

It's strange, because on one hand people feel that the 286 horsepower of the TL-S may almost be overpowered for a FWD manual and say that you only get benefit of the extra HP in the automatic. On the other hand, they say that the almost identical engine in the heavier AWD RL doesn't provide enough low-end torque. You never know what to believe.

Thanks! [Posting in both the 3G TL and 2G RL forums for good measure]
Old 11-09-2009, 10:20 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
As a prior owner of a 3G TL-P and a current owner of the 2G RL, they both have their pros and cons.

The 3G TL 5 A/T will hang around a RL and the RL can hang around a 3G TL 6 M/T. 3G TL-S 6speed and 5 speed auto, RL has no chance.

The RL is not underpowered....it weighs too much. The great thing about the RL is the SH-AWD. It allows your to shift torque to the wheels from side to side to maximize handling.

The TL is more fun to drive and feels more sporty. The RL is very comfortable with a little sport to it. It looks like you are more into speed...because you seem more interested in the 6spd manual . The RL does need more gears and it needs it more than a V8 engine.

Both are great vehicles.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Intermediate

It looks like you are more into speed...because you seem more interested in the 6spd manual
It's not that I am into power, per se. I am into "available" power, though. Obviously, to my wife, "fun to drive" isn't a catalyst. Thank you for your response! I am certainly hoping to hear from everyone with an opinion on this.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:41 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
well the RL is no slouch....when it comes to available power
Old 11-10-2009, 01:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
tl = sport/ rl=spaceship and competing with the lexus gs with luxury.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:41 AM
Instructor

ackkk hook me up with that ur pulley for my tl!
talk to me i cant pm you,
Old 11-10-2009, 01:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 504 Likes on 282 Posts
Do you live in an area that gets snow? That might put some points towards the RL. I've never driven one, but I did ride in one, so my comparaison is quite limited. What I can say is that I really enjoy driving my TL-S 6mt a lot more than I enjoyed my 2001 CL typeS auto. [mostly because of the auto vs manual], although I do wish the 6mt didn't rev as high on the highway. I also, personally prefer the layout of the dash in the TL a bit better, I don't like how the knob that controls the navi looks, but that's pretty minor.
I think the most important difference is that the TL has a cassette player, which should be on everyone's piority list when purchasing a car.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say that as long as your not driving in the city every day to get a 6spd car. An 06 TL 6spd is a mid 14 second car bone stock with plenty of availible power. A 6spd Type S would be fun too. Don't know if your in to upgrading or not, but you can easily mod an 06spd 06 TL to keep up with an 08type S 6spd and save quite a bit of money. I used to drive the RL quite a bit when I worked at the Acura dealership. It has a lot of neat tech features, but its just not a fun car. Though if your in a northern climate with a lot of snow, the RL might be the way to go because of the SH-AWD. Good luck with whatever you decide on.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
RL is nice but kinda of looks like a grandpa car when you see one on the road. The TL always looks good even with how many you see on the road and the TL-S looks even better!!! The TL's are gonna be just fine year round since they are FWD.

The 07 TL-S and 08 TL-S are identical no benefits whatsoever. The solid red tails of the older TL's are gross but if thats what you like thats what you like.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

Wow, I really appreciate all of the replies! I live in Northern Virginia (D.C. Metro area), so snow is an infrequent guest. I suppose there is the occasional Nor'easter, but it's really rare and temperatures don't usually hold below freezing for two consecutive weeks in a row (i.e. the snow doesn't stay long). I do, however, enjoy long road trips throughout the year and could see myself driving purposefully to colder/snowier climates. It's really strange that the RL doesn't offer hardly any increased room to the TL, and it all seems to be a matter of fit, finish, and AWD. I am intrigued by the CMBS/ACC features in the RL, but tend to enjoy the more "hands-on" driving experience that the TL-S offers.

I'm parting with a 2004 NBP 6MT. I'd have to say that the '07 TL-S that I drove seemed to be a smoother shifter and throatier in the low-end. My smoother shifting comment comes even after the GM Syncromesh fluid swap in the '04, which was definitely an improvement. The '07 also seems to rev a bit higher on average. For all I know, that may have just been a product of how I was using the accelerator in the '04 and not being used to handling the additional 30+ HP offered in the '07 TL-S.

I know that my comments may show my bias or preference to the TL-S, but I am really trying to keep an open mind for my wife; who really seems to enjoy the added elegance of the RL. I was even impressed by a 2006 BMW X5 4.4i that I drove, but I probably shouldn't mention that here. I know there's a regular here that went from a TL to an RL to a CTS-V; neuronbob. I've thought much of his review: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/test-drive-2-rl-vs-tl-impressions-long-498203/ and wondered if that is a similar predicament to my own. Somehow, though, I still feel that there is a handling compromise that you forfeit in the RL. It seems counter-intuitive that the SH-AWD car feels as if it doesn't handle as well as the FWD TL-S, but it just doesn't. This is a tough decision.