05 Rumors and Coming of age

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004 | 05:11 PM
8th Gear

05 Rumors and Coming of age

First time poster - long time reader...

I know that there's really no definitive answer here, more speculation than anything; but I thought I'd like to open up the forum what you’ve heard about the 05 TL. I’m coming to the age where my job dictates a status, thus I’ve been looking at luxury, yet, sporty cars. January 05 is the buy date. I’m really torn on the TL, N G35, or an S2000 (mind you I relies it’s not exactly a client car but WTH). Three different beasts but I’ve always leaned towards Honda having spent the last five years building out 99 Civic SI. Yeah, yeah, I was ‘fast and furious’ – now I’m just a suit .

SO, my question is two fold:
What have you heard about the 05 TL?
Having been an autocrosser, speed freak, etc. etc. etc. how many have made the transition? And your thoughts?

And ‘yes’ I’ve driven all three (and many others). Thanks for your thoughts, I know there’s no real answer here.
Old 06-25-2004 | 05:18 PM
You touch my tra la la...

If your job dictates your status and your looking for a status symbol I would recommend a BMW 330i. If you can't afford a fully loaded one, I would recommend the TL as you're currently interested in it. As far as the G35, S2000, etc... I think the TL is superior. Just one person's opinion though.
Old 06-25-2004 | 05:32 PM
Racer

I'm waiting for the 05TL, which according to my dealer is slated to come out in October. He claimed no major changes, except maybe some new colors. But I don't think anyone will know for a month or so

Not quite sure what an autocrosser is, but I'm a bit of speedfreak when the conditions allow. I had a 2000 TL for 39 months and it was one of the best cars I've ever owned. Right now we have a compact SUV (Infiniti QX4), a full-sze pickup (Ram 3/4 ton) and an elderly Wrangler, but there was no adaptation time when I test-drove the 04TL.

Do you need to take clients around in the car? If so, the S2K might be a little teeny
Old 06-25-2004 | 05:34 PM
Burning Brakes

A large, heavy FWD car isn't the best choice for serious Auto-X.
Old 06-25-2004 | 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jpegged

I know that there's really no definitive answer here, more speculation than anything; but I thought I'd like to open up the forum what you’ve heard about the 05 TL. I’m coming to the age where my job dictates a status, thus I’ve been looking at luxury, yet, sporty cars. January 05 is the buy date. I’m really torn on the TL, N G35, or an S2000 (mind you I relies it’s not exactly a client car but WTH). Three different beasts but I’ve always leaned towards Honda having spent the last five years building out 99 Civic SI. Yeah, yeah, I was ‘fast and furious’ – now I’m just a suit .

Having been an autocrosser, speed freak, etc. etc. etc. how many have made the transition? And your thoughts?

And ‘yes’ I’ve driven all three (and many others). Thanks for your thoughts, I know there’s no real answer here.
Well, the brands your looking at have low status for luxury cars but more than your average Honda/Dogde etc. If you want to autox, the S2000 is perfect and IMO has some status, since it is a rare car. The 350Z has done poorly in the autox scene (SCCA), too heavy. The G35 is heavier. They do have extensive mods for both, so you maybe able to turn them into autoX cars.
The TL has barely any aftermarket support and not an autoXer. It is the most comfortable and has the most features.

My vote goes for the S2000, a wonderful car.
Old 06-25-2004 | 06:49 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Originally Posted by GaleForce
If your job dictates your status and your looking for a status symbol I would recommend a BMW 330i. If you can't afford a fully loaded one, I would recommend the TL as you're currently interested in it. As far as the G35, S2000, etc... I think the TL is superior. Just one person's opinion though.
Interesting you would say BMW for status. They are a dime a dozen in L.A., so no one pays them the slightest attention. Yesterday one of my colleagues (who drives a 330i) came up to me very excited and asked if that was my silver TL in the parking structure. He wants one ASAP!!

VOdoc
Old 06-25-2004 | 10:24 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

I was part of a Car survey today for the TL features we would like in the future, and
these were the items they say are coming (not only to TL but Infinity, Cadillac, Lexus and others)

- All wheel drive
- Park sensors (front & back)
- Keyless entry with combination on the door
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Directional HID
- Fog-lights
- Driver and Passenger side 10 way power seats with lumbar control (heating and cooling) and perforated real leather
- DVD on rear seat with screens
- Electrochromic dimming exterior mirrors
- 60/40 rear seat split
- 17 - 18 inch aluminum or chrome wheels
- Tire pressure sensors
- Aluminum and Real wood interior
- Auto Lights on
- 8-10 speaker DTS/THX Surround sound system with DVD-Audio-AM-FM-XM-MP3 , Cassette, integrated with DVD movie playing for a complete experience.
(sounds weird including cassette in that list, doesn't it ?)
- Memory seats, steering wheel, radio and exterior mirrors
- Automatic pneumatic steering wheel control
- Speed sensing Steering
- 4 piston Brembo Power Disk Brakes
- Smoking package
- Race package

it's pretty much the list Acura is going by, according to the survey they are now choosing what to leave out so the price will not go over 30k. But they did mention that options that they take out will be available as upgrade packages. which is great.
Old 06-26-2004 | 01:18 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Welcome to the forum. Hope members' answers about "status" could help your decision.

Please check the "3G TL Garage" next time, it indicates there is no update for 05TL yet. As long as the new update comes out, you will see the post out there... Thank you.
Old 06-26-2004 | 02:22 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by NOX 3.2
I was part of a Car survey today for the TL features we would like in the future, and
these were the items they say are coming (not only to TL but Infinity, Cadillac, Lexus and others)

- All wheel drive
- Park sensors (front & back)
- Keyless entry with combination on the door
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Directional HID
- Fog-lights
- Driver and Passenger side 10 way power seats with lumbar control (heating and cooling) and perforated real leather
- DVD on rear seat with screens
- Electrochromic dimming exterior mirrors
- 60/40 rear seat split
- 17 - 18 inch aluminum or chrome wheels
- Tire pressure sensors
- Aluminum and Real wood interior
- Auto Lights on
- 8-10 speaker DTS/THX Surround sound system with DVD-Audio-AM-FM-XM-MP3 , Cassette, integrated with DVD movie playing for a complete experience.
(sounds weird including cassette in that list, doesn't it ?)
- Memory seats, steering wheel, radio and exterior mirrors
- Speed sensing Steering
- 4 piston Brembo Power Disk Brakes
- Smoking package
- Race package

it's pretty much the list Acura is going by, according to the survey they are now choosing what to leave out so the price will not go over 30k. But they did mention that options that they take out will be available as upgrade packages. which is great.

Ha, if 4G TL comes with these features, I'll pre-order it right away... :o
Old 06-26-2004 | 05:21 AM
Retired MOD

- All wheel drive "RL" "TL probable"
- Park sensors (front & back) "RL"
- Keyless entry with combination on the door "no conbination on door" "RL card system" "TL Likely"
- Adaptive Cruise Control "RL probable""
- Directional HID "RL"
- Fog-lights "RL"
- Driver and Passenger side 10 way power seats with lumbar control (heating and cooling) and perforated real leather "RL" "TL probable"
- DVD on rear seat with screens "NO"
- Electrochromic dimming exterior mirrors "RL Probable"
- 60/40 rear seat split "NO"
- 17 - 18 inch aluminum or chrome wheels "already have"
- Tire pressure sensors "RL" "TL probable"
- Aluminum and Real wood interior "RL"
- Auto Lights on "RL" "TL likely"
- 8-10 speaker DTS/THX Surround sound system with DVD-Audio-AM-FM-XM-MP3 , Cassette, integrated with DVD movie playing for a complete experience. "NO THX" "RL" "TL"
- Memory seats, steering wheel, radio and exterior mirrors "RL"
- Speed sensing Steering "all acura models have this."
- 4 piston Brembo Power Disk Brakes "TL" "RL"
- Smoking package " " yeah ok.
- Race package "A-SPEC"
Old 06-26-2004 | 05:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Lets start with hoping the '05 comes with decent tires. These EL-42's are a disgrace
Old 06-26-2004 | 07:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by roadman
Lets start with hoping the '05 comes with decent tires. These EL-42's are a disgrace

I hope so, but tons of ppl here will feel if Acura does provide the better thread to 05TL.
Old 06-26-2004 | 08:39 AM
8th Gear

WOW! What a response! And great feedback as well! I’m tired of ranty’ ‘bitch boards’ that accrue no results. Well a lot of you have noted my list as to the ‘luxury’ status, well if truth be told I want to stay inside the 35 to 40k cost arena. While ‘yes’ a 330 is a wonderful car, you get little in to it for that price.

Other car suggestions for 35k? There are so few right now that I feel really are credible.

The TL appeals to me in a number of ways, and attention to detail is the greatest. The bluetooth synch is fantastic as I deal with BT enable devices on a daily basis. But the speed is such a selfish concern, it’s sorta’ like sex in a relationship, while it may not be the most important thing it’s a VERY big factor.

Also TL- members noted the driving clients around aspect. I digress, as I feel I didn’t communicate myself well enough. My job is more perception than it is driving perspective clients around. It’s more the car in parking lot, – “is he worth that kind of money”? - type of thing.

I feel for the money that the TL is a car that speak volumes but I’d be interested in hearing what your friends, clients, co-workers thought as well. Thanks again for your time!
Old 06-26-2004 | 08:53 AM
Burning Brakes

I have an S2K and a 04 TL. They are both VERY nice cars and have good status. If you are looking for status the S2000 is a limited production car so people always think it is really expensive. My S2000 is a 2000 and I still get all kinds of looks and people are always like " What kind of car is that!!??" and always complimenting it. I also love my TL. I think it kind of comes down to how many people and how much stuff u need 2 carry around.
Old 06-26-2004 | 10:31 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Tennisjon2002
I have an S2K and a 04 TL.
Well that's the best of both worlds!!! ; )

From your standpoint, seeing as I've never owned either, are they comparable in speed? Or are the light-years from one another?

I don't intend to autocross anymore than just enjoying the sport from afar (unless I get the S, LOL!). I'm not a WFO aggressive driver, but I do respect and enjoy full-performance frequently. Cheers.
Old 06-26-2004 | 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Well I guess "I " don't own them, I am 16, but my parents have both of them and I get to frive them, but only with them in the car . The TL is my moms and S2000 is my dads. They are both fast and unless you are going to be a crazy driver they both have PLENTY of power. I would say they are both comparable in speed but it is kind of hard 2 compare becuase the TL is auto (S2K is manual of course) and to get all of the power from the S2000 u have to get up above 6000 rpms, which usually almost scares me cause i am afraid of killing the engine, but I know it will be ok. As such Honda has addressed this in the 04 S2000 by lowering the redline. Either way they are both great cars, btw I choose both of them for my parents, and they couldn't be happier with them. Which ever u choose you will be happy but I think it comes down to personal preference.
Old 06-26-2004 | 08:16 PM
Racer

Heh - it's not unusual for companies to "suggest" that employees have nice, 4 door cars for driving around clients. I worked for a company that did that (my 10 year old rusty Accord wasn't good enough).

There's a lot of vehicles in the 35K bracket, so most of it is your personal choice. Given the same budget last December, my husband chose a full-size pickup - well, he really wanted an SC430, but that's a little more than 35K! And he knew I wanted the TL - in this house, whoever's up first get's dibs on the cars!!
Old 06-26-2004 | 09:09 PM
Instructor

First off depending on your job etc, You wat a car that will not

outshine the client, Second, the automotive market is slowly changing where you can find plenty of luxury in a 35,000 vehicle, sometimes more than the 60,000 vehicle.

First thing I would do, is forget the "brand name" factor and look at the options and the over-all package that fits your needs.

You say you like speed, well the TL moves and by no means is a slouch, however if you desire more, you also have the Chrysler 300C. Don't want to start any flaming here, but just being objective.
The 300C has a lot of power. personally I think it is faster than the E500, but that will not be publicized in fear of creating competition for Mercedes.

I think the S2000 is a bit to "young" if you are looking for"status". Also, you have no room.

The G35 is not bad, and the new revised ones will fall in the timeframe you are looking at.

The TL I don't see any major changes for 05, but in reality why does it. it is already two years ahead of any other car company for that price range, when it comes to options, etc. The only thing that other companies are beating it in, are engine and horsepower.

I always get compliments on my TL. From people with S600's to BMW's alike.
It commands attention on the road, while at the same time, giving me almost every option I could ever want. I am sure by 05, some of the kinks will be worked out as well, like rattles. leather etc.

Never know, the 05 Mustang might be your speed. 28,000 and change for a fully loaded GT. ( I personally like the new styling and the interior looks like a winner. However no NAV which is a must for me.)

Anyhow, Enjoy the research, and good luck to you.
Old 06-26-2004 | 10:23 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by GaleForce
So FAWNY! A 330i is NOT a status symbol in ANY sense of the word. It IS a neat LITTLE sporty car. It's FAR TOO small for any practical business use. If status is what you are after, pick up a used 740iL. You can get a nice 2000 model for around $28K and it will ride like a dream and seat your clients just fine.
Old 06-26-2004 | 11:09 PM
Advanced

The 300c is a nice car,fast,rides great..If they would have one on the lot..But they did not so I bought the TL,The TL is alot of car for the money,hard to beat.The 300c I looked at was $39,000,Went home to get the wife and by the time I got back it was gone.I have no regrets buying the TL,in fact I my TL..
Old 06-27-2004 | 01:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Let's just hope the 2005 TL comes with heated/cooling seats!
Old 06-27-2004 | 07:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Rcat
The 300c is a nice car,fast,rides great..If they would have one on the lot..But they did not so I bought the TL,The TL is alot of car for the money,hard to beat.The 300c I looked at was $39,000,Went home to get the wife and by the time I got back it was gone.I have no regrets buying the TL,in fact I my TL..
I would definitely have looked at the 300C with Hemi if it had been out the last time I went car shopping. I would have done so despite my previous experience with Chrysler (dead tranny at 600 miles) because of all the Daimler bits. Great looking car.

Keeping on topic....I haven't personally heard anything about the 2005 TL yet. I expect minor changes (vibration gone, build quality up, praying for new tires to make the "I hate these tire" threads go away)....
Old 06-27-2004 | 09:24 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by EmuMessenger
Let's just hope the 2005 TL comes with heated/cooling seats!

You are too funny. I used to frequent this board quite a bit when the TL came out (as well as the TSX site) and here you are MONTHS later still going on about heated and cooled seats. Just get the new RL that comes out this fall. It will have heated and cooled seats. In fact there is even a picture at the Acura site which shows the lower center console and the buttons to adjust the seat temp. (blue for cooling and red for heating). Check it out if you haven't already. I'm sure it will also have a power tilt/telescoping steering wheel like you want as well.
Old 06-27-2004 | 09:28 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I would definitely have looked at the 300C with Hemi if it had been out the last time I went car shopping. I would have done so despite my previous experience with Chrysler (dead tranny at 600 miles) because of all the Daimler bits. Great looking car.
A close friend is ordering the 300 right now, so I'm sure I'll get some 'drive-time'. I find it to be a bit like a 'dictator car' as if it had little flags on the front fender wells, and cattlecade of motorcycle cops in the front and rear it might seem expected. But I digress. I do like the styling but it might be a bit much for my taste, nevertheless, I cannot wait to drive it and that’s the ultimate test.

Other suitable notables in the 35 to 40k range?

A TSX
Lexus?
Audi
Saab (I’ve been told that this a company on the outs so to ‘stay away’)
How about a loaded ‘works’ Mini...JK

Originally Posted by ck37
Never know, the 05 Mustang might be your speed. 28,000 and change for a fully loaded GT. ( I personally like the new styling and the interior looks like a winner. However no NAV which is a must for me.)
How suitable do you think this car is in the business world? Not that I’m apposed. I keep wanting to give American cars a second look and then I see the interior as an afterthought using only larger engines and retrospective body touches as key selling points. Yet again bringing back to the 05 TL, I love that it’s the fully rounded package.
Old 06-27-2004 | 09:30 AM
Pro

Keeping on topic....I haven't personally heard anything about the 2005 TL yet. I expect minor changes (vibration gone, build quality up, praying for new tires to make the "I hate these tire" threads go away)....
I agree, the 300C is a very good car. I test drove one about a month ago and was extremely impressed with the refinement. The ride quality and quietness of the cabin seemed more in line with a car costing $50k. The interior could use a little more work, but overall I found it to be an affordable, bold, powerful and unique sedan. A few years ago I would have never even looked at a domestic sedan let alone test drive one. If I were ever to buy an American car I feel it would probably be a new Cadillac or Chrysler. They're both releasing some very good cars.
Old 06-27-2004 | 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator

A TSX
Lexus?
Audi
How about a loaded ‘works’ Mini...JK
Definitely NOT the TSX. I drove one recently when my TL was in for service (been typing up a thorough review the last 10 days and will post it soon). It's a great car, but I found myself missing the torque of the TL. The rear seats are a bit tight for company if you're takning clients to lunch, and the interior is a small notch below the TL. If you're looking for a sporty weekend 4-door sedan, though, the TSX is the shiznit!

Lexus? They don't offer a rounded package (sporty + luxury) car like the TL. The IS300 is a nice sporty car that's light on luxury and too small to cart clients. The ES300 is a (yawn) true small luxury car, without a single sporting bone in its body. The GS300? Close, just lower it a bit for more steering feel and you've got it, but for MUCH more than the TL.

G35 is probably the closest in price and mission to the TL. You'll hear lots of "it's ugly" from folks on this forum, but I happen to like its looks, but needed FWD and am a Honda partisan.
Old 06-27-2004 | 02:29 PM
Racer

As far as poor old Saab is concerned, they're being completely absorbed into GM. Although GM has owned them for years, they're just not selling so will become a less-distinct marque. So much for their "State of Independence" marketing! I always wanted a 9-3 convertible, but once GM got involved, I wouldn't touch them with a 20ft pole!

The 300c is interesting - at least it looks different. We have the HEMI in a 3/4 ton pickup, and I'm very impressed with the power. Comparing it with it's predecessor, the 8 litre V10, it moves a lot of steel (the new Ram is taller, longer and wider than the old one). But I believe it's configured differently for the 300, so you get better than 12mpg
Old 06-27-2004 | 03:16 PM
Instructor

How suitable do you think this car is in the business world? Not that I’m apposed. I keep wanting to give American cars a second look and then I see the interior as an afterthought using only larger engines and retrospective body touches as key selling points. Yet again bringing back to the 05 TL, I love that it’s the fully rounded package.
The only reason I brought up the Mustang was to give you an option when you are looking at cars like the S2000. I don't know what type of Job you are going to have, if you will need to take clients out, or work around older people etc.

Interiors are something to always think about when you are looking for that "status effect". If you don't go for something completely luxurious, then go for something that is refreshing to look at, or will bring up a conversation, especially when you have clients around.

All of the cars I have mentioned to you do just that. The TL represents sports with unseen technology to the masses. the 300c has bold yet classic stylig with Hemi no Doubt!! and not bad on the option either, and the Stang has that classic retro look, that will draw in most everyone that lived or gre up in the sixites. get my point
Old 06-27-2004 | 03:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jwaters943
You are too funny. I used to frequent this board quite a bit when the TL came out (as well as the TSX site) and here you are MONTHS later still going on about heated and cooled seats. Just get the new RL that comes out this fall. It will have heated and cooled seats. In fact there is even a picture at the Acura site which shows the lower center console and the buttons to adjust the seat temp. (blue for cooling and red for heating). Check it out if you haven't already. I'm sure it will also have a power tilt/telescoping steering wheel like you want as well.
WOW! Great memory!

I will have to look closely at the RL pics.

Timing is everything, I drove the VW Phateon this weekend and it had front and rear heated/cooled seats. Way out of my range, but an amazing car.

Word on the street says the new RL may/will only have 17" wheels.

Back to the point at hand, I would be most excited if the RL has cooled seats!
Old 06-27-2004 | 09:55 PM
USC YQUE

Mini Cooper as a second automobile

A TSX
Lexus?
Audi
How about a loaded ‘works’ Mini...JK...
I am aware that this thread was referring to a 'business'-use automobile that would purport to portray a certain image of the driver but a fully loaded Mini Cooper S with the John Cooper Works package would be very appropriate if someone worked in the arts/creativity world!! A fully loaded Mini would come out to at least $35,000 (I've priced mine and finally needed to 'settle' on a TL).
Old 06-27-2004 | 11:29 PM
Racer

A local dealer told me that they put in their last allocation for 04TLs due for delivery mid Sept. Their next date to put in allocations will be 2nd-3rd week July for '05TLs due for delivery end Sept/early Oct. Hopefully the dealers will get trim line and color combo info this week or next for the '05s.

I expect the same trims as the '04: 5AT, 6MT, 5AT/NAVI, 6MT/NAVI
+/- HPT trim (poor demand, poor treadlife, poor bad-weather handling, BS publicity fiasco)

In the unlikely event AWD comes out in the '05TL, the dealers will get extra trim lines to order from.

I expect specific feature changes (if any) to become public in August.
Old 06-27-2004 | 11:47 PM
Proboscis-free zone

A TSX
Lexus?
Audi
Just turned in my leased 2001 Saab 9-5 SE V6 yesterday. At one time I really loved that car--best I'd had to this point--but now I am completely spoiled by the 2004 TL. Compared with the TL, the Saab is--how to say this--crude? Loose steering, much less power despite the turbo (seemed pretty darn fast at the time I got it, but 200 hp ain't what it used to be), dated styling, excessive road noise, wimpy seats that can't hold a candle to the TL. Only conceivable advantage is the HUGE trunk. That and the fact that it is definitely a "contrarian" car. But unlike Macintosh vs. Windows, IMHO there is no way to make the case that the unusual Saab is a better car than the mainstream Japanese vehicles. Also drove a 2004 9-5 Aero a couple of months ago. Better than the '01 SE--but still more money, less car when compared with TL.

TSX? Too small and the stereo suxx per my good friend who bought one. Lexus? Never forget it's only a rebadged Toyota. Audi? Booooooring.

What are you waiting for?
Old 06-28-2004 | 08:08 AM
2nd Gear

If perceived "status" is that important to you, buy a 95ish 911 for low 30's and use the few thousand dollars you save for maintenance. The ongoing maintenance $ will be lower than the depreciation hit you'll take on any new car. Also, most people won't even know how new (old) it really is...
Old 06-28-2004 | 08:10 AM
2nd Gear

A little background, we're planning to buy an 05 TL to replace our Jeep Grand Cherokee. The 911 is our 3rd car.
Old 06-28-2004 | 08:31 AM
Racer

"cattlecade"???

What means "cattlecade"?
Old 06-28-2004 | 10:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Rubicon me!

Originally Posted by Pot80h
Right now we have... an elderly Wrangler, but there was no adaptation time when I test-drove the 04TL.
Let's hear it for "elderly" Wranglers! :jump2: :bubbarubb

It makes me and my cajones appreciate my TL all the more.

XP
Old 06-28-2004 | 01:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Xpditor
Let's hear it for "elderly" Wranglers! :jump2: :bubbarubb

It makes me and my cajones appreciate my TL all the more.

XP

LOL! - you could easily lose one in this guy (I call him Dustdevil)! He's had a 5" lift, so it's even bouncier, especially offroading. Waaay too much fun, especially right now with the top off. Gotta love a car that costs $50 to register, tho. 83K miles, 11 years old and he passed his smog first time! He's my little buddy - but only on the weekends.
Old 06-28-2004 | 03:10 PM
4th Gear

TL vs ?

I have a 2004 TL 6 speed that I've owned for six months; my trade in was a 2001 BMW 325 wagon (with sport package). Before buying the TL, I drove the IS300 (too small), the G35 (nearly a perfect 330 for $10k less), the Cadillac CTS (godawful looks IMHO, and cheesy GM interior) and the Audi A4 (all the disadvantage of FWD and the questionable Audi reliability). I concluded that the TL offered the most of what I was looking for in this price range and bought one.

After six months, I'd say I really enjoy the power - it is an awesome motor, and the six-speed is superb. From a driving dynamics point of view, it is quite a distance from either the BMW or the G35; the suspension is not as well sorted (hobby-horsing in high speed sweepers and not nearly as stable at high speed, compared to the 325) and I agree with the idea that over 200 hp w/FWD is a nearly impossible proposition. The interior finishes are best in class, and I think the nav system and built-in bluetooth are well-integrated options. If I had it to do over, I think I'd go for the G35 and live with the lesser interior and lack of bluetooth. The Infiniti has a nice rorty engine, the FM chassis is a near match for the 3-series and is a little smaller than the TL. The 38 foot turning circle on the TL is occasionally annoying, and I really don't need more rear seat room than what I had in the 325. I did a couple of track days in the 325 and had a ball; I am almost not tempted to take the TL despite the additional 80 horsepower.

I have been disappointed with the Acura dealer - both the sales and service experience were much worse than my experience at BMW, or with the S2000 my wife bought last year. Finally, I can justify the TL only because I also have the S2000 at my disposal and can get my jollies in it.

If straight-line performance is your thing, it is difficult to find more for the TL price. If you like to push the car through the twisties, I'd look only at rear-drive cars. Having said this, I live in the SF Bay area and have no need for the winter advantage of FWD or AWD.

Good luck!

Steve Edgett
Old 06-28-2004 | 03:36 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Eduardo
John Cooper Works package would be very appropriate if someone worked in the arts/creativity world!! A fully loaded Mini would come out to at least $35,000 (I've priced mine and finally needed to 'settle' on a TL).
Funny you would mention that, as that is exactly my business.
Old 06-28-2004 | 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator

No regrets!

Definitely (been typing up a thorough review (of the TSX) the last 10 days and will post it soon). It's a great car, but I found myself missing the torque of the TL. The rear seats are a bit tight for company if you're takning clients to lunch, and the interior is a small notch below the TL. If you're looking for a sporty weekend 4-door sedan, though, the TSX is the shiznit!

Lexus? They don't offer a rounded package (sporty + luxury) car like the TL. The IS300 is a nice sporty car that's light on luxury and too small to cart clients. The ES300 is a (yawn) true small luxury car, without a single sporting bone in its body. The GS300? Close, just lower it a bit for more steering feel and you've got it, but for MUCH more than the TL.

G35 is probably the closest in price and mission to the TL. You'll hear lots of "it's ugly" from folks on this forum, but I happen to like its looks, but needed FWD and am a Honda partisan.
Bob,

I have enjoyed the new , improved you. Your postings are informative, timely, and relevant and on point. How nice to have someone actually declare their bias. We all have it. I tried to give you some more Reputation Points, but it won't let me because I already did. (You know about those, don't you? The scales icon on the bottom left?)

I was just pointing out to my friend today, from my Jeep, a black Infiniti G35 Coupe. I said, "That's what I almost got." I was checking it out- wistfully- remembering my test drive of a 6MT. It was sweet.

Then I remembered the plain-jane interior and a choice of only two colors: willow or charcoal (or whatever words they use). Although the driving and the automotive engineering appealed to me, and I love the VQ35 engine (I've had a version for 15 years), the interior did nothing for me. There was no passion on the inside. There was a lot of plastic, some of which looked like it was spray painted with silver Rustoleum And the red gauges? Well, been there and done that with my RX7. It was sooo yesterday.

I had always said that if Nissan ever came out with a 2 door Maxima with THAT engine and rear-wheel drive- I'm there. Well, the G35 is and I'm not. Maybe next time. I don't HATE it; quite the opposite. I just don't love it as much as I love the TL. And the TL has the passion in the interior the G35 lacked.

But that's me. And we haven't even discussed the features!

Back in the Jeep, my friend said: "You made the right choice!"

XP

Quick Reply: 05 Rumors and Coming of age