Sponsored by:

05/06 TL A-Spec vs. 06 IS 250

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 08:30 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05/06 TL A-Spec vs. 06 IS 250

Hey All,

I realize this is an Acura forum ... however, I have a comparison question. I'm looking to purchase a car (either new/used) for around $30,000 (plus or minus a few thousand).

I can purchase a used TL (either an '05 or '06) and add the A-Spec package for around $5,000, or purchase an '06 IS 250. The Lexus has a number of features that I like, such as the ventilated seats, push button start, stereo, etc.

Has anyone purchased a used TL, and added the A-Spec package? Are folks happy with their car? Did the dearler do a good job? What exactly is done to the car? Simply cosmetics? Suspension work?

The other concern I have is with the redesign in 2008 ... how much different the TL is going to look.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 11-30-2006, 09:06 AM
Masakatsu Agatsu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for in a car.
If it's mainly speed and performance, than TL will beat IS250 any day of the week, hands down.
If it's mostly luxury you are looking for, than it's a much tougher question, and I thnik would be just a matter of preference.
In regards to an A-Spec package, it consists of first and foremost sport suspension, which lowers the car by approximately half inch and increases the performance significantly, second 18" wheels, then body kit (front, rear and sides), A-Spec steering wheel and finally and A-Spec emblem.
Whether dealer would do a good job, depends on a dealer.
Test drive both cars and see for yourself what feels better for you.
Good Luck.

P.S. TL redesign is coming in 2009, not 2008.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Their both nice cars but the IS250 is compared to the TSX not the TL..The TL is a more powerful car, immaculate interior and wonderful to drive. The IS250 is also an immaculate luxury car just not powerful enough. Also gotta decide what you want FWD or AWD & RWD.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CL Platano
Their both nice cars but the IS250 is compared to the TSX not the TL..The TL is a more powerful car, immaculate interior and wonderful to drive. The IS250 is also an immaculate luxury car just not powerful enough. Also gotta decide what you want FWD or AWD & RWD.
I agree. Comparing the IS250 and the TL- ASpec is not in the same league. A lot of good points was posted. The thing about Lexus is that its pretty much stock and you have to add alot of different packages to match up what the TL comes standard. IMO if you want to get an IS might as well fork up the cash and get the IS350. I belive IS350 with all the bells and whistles that I wanted came out to 43k thats why I chose the TL. With that said the TL is better bang for the buck for luxury and performance if you have to compare it to the IS250.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:56 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
practicality and bang for the buck, the TL definitely wins hands down. plus the size difference (compact vs midsize) is not even remotely in the IS' favor since for a loaded TL, a loaded IS seems like a waste of money, and we arent even talking about an IS350 yet.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
1) You can get a new 06 TL for around 30k.

2) You won't touch a IS-250 for near 30k. They go for 35-38k.

With that in mind, the TL comes with more features for cheaper like HID standard, bluetooth phone, navi and so on. The IS-250 in build quality is not that good. They use cheaper materials now on the interior. Like painted plastics. They are having many issues per the Lexus forums as well so its not that great of a car but it is a good looking car.

Originally Posted by acbrisker
Hey All,

I realize this is an Acura forum ... however, I have a comparison question. I'm looking to purchase a car (either new/used) for around $30,000 (plus or minus a few thousand).

I can purchase a used TL (either an '05 or '06) and add the A-Spec package for around $5,000, or purchase an '06 IS 250. The Lexus has a number of features that I like, such as the ventilated seats, push button start, stereo, etc.

Has anyone purchased a used TL, and added the A-Spec package? Are folks happy with their car? Did the dearler do a good job? What exactly is done to the car? Simply cosmetics? Suspension work?

The other concern I have is with the redesign in 2008 ... how much different the TL is going to look.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 11-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Intermediate

TL Hands down.

I agree with the above posters that the IS 350 is the way to go if you are the purchase an IS. The IS 250 would probably have better stock suspension than stock TL suspension. In terms of engine, like said, TL would rape the IS.

I wanted to let you know that its probably not the smartest idea to take that 5000 dollars and get an ASPEC package from the dealer. In my opinion, just buy it bone stock with navi and add the Aspec Body kit afterwards.. should run you around 775-785 for the full thing. Suspension wise, I would go for Tein Basic/Coilovers.. 800-1000.. which are definitely more customizable and just as good if not better than aspec suspension. You also get Aspec wheels with the package, and you can get good Nice looking aftermarket wheels with tires for around 2500. I don't know how important the steering wheel is to you. But unless you're dead set on the ASPEC package, I would definitely consider taking that 5000 dollars and taking your time to carefully modify your car, in your own unique way.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, I just finished pricing out '06 IS250's for a friend of mine, and i agree with the above post .. you ain't touchin' one under $35,000 out the door for the base model. A used TL you can obviously negotiate more.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Is250 just lack any real power. For the kind of money they are charging for that car, it needs another 20-30hp at least.

I think the 07 g35's are a better place to look than the is250 personally if you want a better comparison.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
You can pick up an 06 TL brand new w/ Navi for 30k now. The IS 250 does not compete with the TL at this price point.

My understanding is that the 4G TL will show up sometime in 08 as an 09 model. It will most likely have SH-AWD and 300hp+ and will shake up this segment again like it did back in 04. If the Concept-4 design is in anyway indicative of the future direction of Acura- it will look vastly different and great IMHO.

True the IS has push button start and ventilated seats but the TL at this price beats out the IS in alot of other categories.

Hope this helps
Old 11-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 595 Likes on 458 Posts
I agree with all of the above posts, but more importantly if you are 5'-10" or taller and EVER have the intention of carrying backseat passengers then the IS250/350 is not an option at all. All you need to do is adjust your drivers seat and then attempt to enter the rear seat.......contortionists only!

I am 6-2 and my 5-11 son has no problem sitting behind me in our TL.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:43 AM
GO NOLES!

IMO if its between a IS 250 and a TL A-spec I say go with the TL A spec.But if you have a chance to get a IS 350....I would take that in a heartbeat over any TL.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by stangd1909
IMO if its between a IS 250 and a TL A-spec I say go with the TL A spec.But if you have a chance to get a IS 350....I would take that in a heartbeat over any TL.
Anyone has the ability to get an IS350 thats not a problem, its the price differential that is the issue. That and who wants a 2 seater with 4 doors?
Old 12-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by pohljm
Anyone has the ability to get an IS350 thats not a problem, its the price differential that is the issue. That and who wants a 2 seater with 4 doors?
i agree. a friend here at work has the IS250 and it is just cramped as hell. no way im going to pay more for less space. the difference in luxury between the two is acceptable. the amount of real estate you get for the money isnt.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:13 PM
GO NOLES!

What do you mean a 2 seater with four doors? I have a 06 IS 350 and now my new TL......my IS has almost as much room in it as the TL. Both of my kids fit back there with NO problems.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:17 PM
GO NOLES!

Originally Posted by sixsixfour
i agree. a friend here at work has the IS250 and it is just cramped as hell. no way im going to pay more for less space. the difference in luxury between the two is acceptable. the amount of real estate you get for the money isnt.

But that is a huge difference for me. Beween the luxury and customer service difference, lexus is 100 times better than Acura.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Drifting

But that is a huge difference for me. Beween the luxury and customer service difference, lexus is 100 times better than Acura.
i see your point. but the customer service part is a bit vauge.

because here in CA, i would have bit the bullet and got the GS300 had the three Lexus dealers i went to displayed the least bit of professional customer service. they didnt.

when i went to acura, i tried three different places too (South Coast Acura, Tustin and Acura of Mission Viejo). South Coast was a bit like the Lexus dealers, Tustin was o-k, but Mission Viejo (which is approximately 50 miles from my home compared to only 10 on the other two) went above and beyond - so they got my business.

luxury, i wont argue on that, because i myself find the ammeneties on a Lexus superior in some regard to Acura. but the amount of money i need to shell out to get a comparatively-equipped Lexus IS to the TL i have is too much. the GS cost even more

so in all, the customer service depends on location and from dealer to dealer. but the amount of money you spend (if that is the direction you wish to go) and save on a new car is greater with the TL than with the IS, dollar for dollar.

its just not acceptable and financially sound for me to pay more for a smaller car and equip it with nearly identical equipment over a much larger car with near-similar equipment if you would be using both for daily commuting.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:40 PM
GO NOLES!

i see your point. but the customer service part is a bit vauge.

because here in CA, i would have bit the bullet and got the GS300 had the three Lexus dealers i went to displayed the least bit of professional customer service. they didnt.

when i went to acura, i tried three different places too (South Coast Acura, Tustin and Acura of Mission Viejo). South Coast was a bit like the Lexus dealers, Tustin was o-k, but Mission Viejo (which is approximately 50 miles from my home compared to only 10 on the other two) went above and beyond - so they got my business.

luxury, i wont argue on that, because i myself find the ammeneties on a Lexus superior in some regard to Acura. but the amount of money i need to shell out to get a comparatively-equipped Lexus IS to the TL i have is too much. the GS cost even more

so in all, the customer service depends on location and from dealer to dealer. but the amount of money you spend (if that is the direction you wish to go) and save on a new car is greater with the TL than with the IS, dollar for dollar.

its just not acceptable and financially sound for me to pay more for a smaller car and equip it with nearly identical equipment over a much larger car with near-similar equipment if you would be using both for daily commuting.

I don't know maybe its just the Lexus dealer here that I love so much....At first my wife was dead set on not getting a TL. She loves her IS and wanted me to wait and get the new IS 500 when it comes out. But when I went and looked at the TL I was really suprised, it is a very nice car. It has some options on it that the Lexus doesn't come with. I drove the car home yesterday and my wife decided to take it for a drive.....well she loves the car now LOL. There are a couple things that I will change with my TL and I will be happier. But I guess all and all I am very happy......I don't know I might just upgrade and get a 07 TL-S
Old 12-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Drifting

I don't know maybe its just the Lexus dealer here that I love so much....At first my wife was dead set on not getting a TL. She loves her IS and wanted me to wait and get the new IS 500 when it comes out. But when I went and looked at the TL I was really suprised, it is a very nice car. It has some options on it that the Lexus doesn't come with. I drove the car home yesterday and my wife decided to take it for a drive.....well she loves the car now LOL. There are a couple things that I will change with my TL and I will be happier. But I guess all and all I am very happy......I don't know I might just upgrade and get a 07 TL-S
I hear you. car buying can get really emotional.

for me, it was initially between a GS and the TL, since they were roughly the same size and offered a lot of techno toys.

working for a bankruptcy software firm affected my decision on the GS since it cost almost a bit more than an RL (here locally) and I just could not justify the $$$ i had to shell out, so I looked at the IS.

dont get me wrong, driving the IS 350 was fun. it clearly had a lot of thrust and i absolutely was sold on the comfy leather and the (arguably) better looking Nav system.

but again, from a price point, it was not good to look at, as the TL still had the edge over it in terms of price. add to the fact that the Lexus dealers werent so keen on convincing me with the car, so i ended up with the TL.

that said, if i was in the market now for the TL, i would opt for the Type-S. it still underscores the IS and GS in terms of bang for the buck, and in my opinion is still a roaring value, despite being FWD.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Suzuka Master

What do you mean a 2 seater with four doors? I have a 06 IS 350 and now my new TL......my IS has almost as much room in it as the TL. Both of my kids fit back there with NO problems.
well that almost area is where most people would like there legs to go when sitting in the back, when I had the drivers seat adjusted so it was comfortable for me in the IS2/350 there was less than 6 inches between the front seat back and the rear seat, the only kids sitting there would be in car seats
Old 12-01-2006, 07:27 PM
GO NOLES!

I hear you. car buying can get really emotional.

for me, it was initially between a GS and the TL, since they were roughly the same size and offered a lot of techno toys.

working for a bankruptcy software firm affected my decision on the GS since it cost almost a bit more than an RL (here locally) and I just could not justify the $$$ i had to shell out, so I looked at the IS.

dont get me wrong, driving the IS 350 was fun. it clearly had a lot of thrust and i absolutely was sold on the comfy leather and the (arguably) better looking Nav system.

but again, from a price point, it was not good to look at, as the TL still had the edge over it in terms of price. add to the fact that the Lexus dealers werent so keen on convincing me with the car, so i ended up with the TL.

that said, if i was in the market now for the TL, i would opt for the Type-S. it still underscores the IS and GS in terms of bang for the buck, and in my opinion is still a roaring value, despite being FWD.

The GS300 is really nice...we almost bought that instead of the Is 350. But me and the wife both thought it was just a tad to long. And its funny because the leather seats was the main selling point for us on the IS350...LMAO! Now that we have the TL, the wife is so happy with it she may trade the IS in on a lexus suv
Old 12-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Perhaps you need to try a different Acura dealership, there are some around here that are so so, but others that are just as nice in terms of customer care as the Lexus dealerships. I know that because its my husbandly responsibility to get both vehicles serviced. And the dealerships are only a block apart.

And as far as the luxury part goes, my acura knows what driver is getting in the car and adjusts accordingly and every time I flip on the high beams in the ES300 I wonder WTF yellow halogen high beams! gimme HID
Old 12-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Exactly- your kids fit back there- comfortably. Put 2 adults back there and they will be not be as comfortable.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:47 PM
GO NOLES!

Perhaps you need to try a different Acura dealership, there are some around here that are so so, but others that are just as nice in terms of customer care as the Lexus dealerships. I know that because its my husbandly responsibility to get both vehicles serviced. And the dealerships are only a block apart.

Ya I am going to start looking around....

And as far as the luxury part goes, my acura knows what driver is getting in the car and adjusts accordingly and every time I flip on the high beams in the ES300 I wonder WTF yellow halogen high beams! gimme HID

What do you mean its knows what driver is getting in? Are you talking the two different settings you can set? The ES 300 is old school now LOL.........
Old 12-01-2006, 07:50 PM
GO NOLES!

Originally Posted by ggesq
Exactly- your kids fit back there- comfortably. Put 2 adults back there and they will be not be as comfortable.

I can see your point. The TL is bigger in the back, but not by much LOL.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
The TL has 35 inches of rear leg-room. The IS250/350 has less than 31 inches of rear leg room. A difference of over 4 inches is a lot. Enough to put the two cars in a different class. The legroom of the TL is closer to that of the GS350/430 than IS250/350. Infact, the Honda Fit has over two inches of more rear legroom than a IS250/350.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Like I said previously, when my 6'-2" frame is driving the TL or our ES there is more than enough legroom for my son who is nearly 6' to sit behind me, the TL has slightly more room than the ES. In an IS2/350 he cannot begin to even manuever himself into the seat there is no where for the legs to go